• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamePro: EA working on Spore Hero for Wii, Spore Hero Arena for DS

wsippel

Banned
I guess this might deserve it's own thread after all:

According to GamePro Germany, Spore for Wii won't be a port, but an original entry in the franchise, called Spore Hero. The press already had a chance to see a first trailer at a recent EA event. EA also announced a new Spore DS game, Spore Hero Arena. Both games are scheduled for release later this year.:

Spore Hero - Kommt für Wii
Neues Spore für Nintendo-Konsole
15.01.2009, 12:00

Nach dem PC, dem Nintendo DS und dem iPhone bekommt nun auch die Wii ihre Version von Will Wrights ambitioniertem Titel Spore. Unter dem Namen Spore Hero soll noch dieses Jahr ein Ableger des komplexen Genremixes für Nintendos Konsole erscheinen.

Das Spielprinzip soll sich allerdings wie bereits bei Spore Creatures (Nintendo DS) und Spore für das iPhone stark von dem der PC-Version (Test bei GameStar.de) unterscheiden. Inwiefern, können wir leider noch nicht sagen. Bisher konnten wir nur einen Trailer bei einer Electronic Arts-Veranstaltung sehen. Sobald dieser veröffentlich wird, findet ihr ihn natürlich hier auf GamePro.de
Für Nintendo DS erscheint ebenfalls noch Ende des Jahres ein neues Spore unter dem Titel Spore Hero Arena. In diesem sollt ihr eure Kreaturen gegeneinander antreten lassen können.

Mehr Details und erste Bilder zu Spore Hero und Spore Hero Arena demnächst an dieser Stelle

(Daniel Feith)
http://www.gamepro.de/news/spiele/w...r_wii/1309779/spore_hero_kommt_fuer_wii.html]

Bizzyb

Banned
So basically, it will be like what they did to the Sims franchise on Wii, i.e. MySims?

Can we look forward to Spore Party, and Spore Racing?

Vinci

Danish
Bizzyb said:
So basically, it will be like what they did to the Sims franchise on Wii, i.e. MySims?

Can we look forward to Spore Party, and Spore Racing?

Given the customization involved in Spore, this might not suck so bad if it plays like MK DS.

JBuccCP

I don't get EA's strategy with making these spin-offs for Wii and DS. The audience that made The Sims the best selling franchise ever is in large part the same people buying Wii's. If they ported a normal Sims game over streamlined for Wii controls (which wouldn't take much) it would sell millions. Instead they make these dumb casualified ones. Spore is probably similar, to a lesser extent.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Well, obviously EA is making sure that 5 year olds can play their games, which is pretty much what the entire Wii userbase consists of.

Threi

notag
Link said:
Well, obviously EA is making sure that 5-year-old soccer moms in retirement homes can play their games, which is pretty much what the entire Wii userbase consists of.
fixed.

wsippel

Banned
JBuccCP said:
I don't get EA's strategy with making these spin-offs for Wii and DS. The audience that made The Sims the best selling franchise ever is in large part the same people buying Wii's. If they ported a normal Sims game over streamlined for Wii controls (which wouldn't take much) it would sell millions. Instead they make these dumb casualified ones. Spore is probably similar, to a lesser extent.
I'm not into Maxis games in general (except for Sim City 2000 back in the day), but I believe Spore wasn't that hot, anyway? Maybe mixing things up is actually a good thing in this particular case. Dumbing down Sims probably wasn't a good idea, though. Even though MySims sold pretty good if I remember correctly.

Chojin

JBuccCP said:

With consoles having limited RAM compared to PCs, i don't see how its possible to make a more PC version of Sims 2 on a console. All the console sims are alike in function, not just th e Wii. Plus they sell well? So if it aint broke? Also the people that play Sims2 have sims 2 so why would they play the same damn game on their console?

Scribble

"Spore Hero?"

I'm currently working on an RPG which is about evolution and heroes. I need to know about this game now.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/03/09/new-details-about-spore-hero-for-wii/

Stephen Totilo said:
Set for release this fall, the Wii version of EA’s universe-creating “Spore” is designed for adventure and a heavy use of motion control.

Few games have transitioned from the PC to the Wii. There is no “World of Warcraft” Wii, no “Company of Heroes” Wii, not even — yet — a “Peggle” Wii. But EA has been trying, first with “MySims” for Nintendo’s home system and, coming this fall, “Spore Hero.”

EA has shed almost no light on “Spore Hero” since announcing it in January as part of the 2009 line-up of “Spore” spin-offs. MTV Multiplayer can change that today.

Last month in Las Vegas, I met with the general manager for EA’s “Spore” and “Sims” studio, Lucy Bradshaw, who talked to me, among other things, about how “Spore” for the Wii is taking shape.

Bradshaw said that this “Spore” for the Wii was built from the ground up. She described a game comprised of a significantly beefed-up version of “Spore”’s creature stage, served with a heavy helping of motion control.

The game brings the PC game’s full creature editor and procedural animation system, enabling gamers to assemble their beasts from a Potato-Head’s worth of parts. The mouse-driven interface of the editing tools in the PC game turns into a pointer-driven interface for the Wii.

Players have direct control of the lifeform they are shaping. Adding parts to the creature adds new motion-controlled maneuvers customized to the player’s creature. New parts, new controls. “That’s really fun to take advantage of,” Bradshaw said. “With the controls of the mouse, it’s point and click and you do feel a distance. Now we’re in there and it’s just really fun as you gain new abilities.” She suggested that dancing and singing were just some classic “Spore” behaviors that would be more fun driven by a Wii remote than by the click of a computer mouse.

The PC “Spore” started in the primordial ooze of its Cell stage, graduating to a primitive 3D action game in the Creature stage before evolving into strategic Tribe, City and Space stages. Bradshaw said that this game, which won’t connect to the PC version, operates in just that creature slice but still presents an expansive evolution-based experience. “Your planet that you’ve lived on has had a catastrophic event and you’re essentially plummeting to a new planet on the tail of a meteor,” she explained. “You arrive there and you start encountering new creatures. This is a new planet that you’ve got to make as your own. So you start in a series of quests and adventures in a kind of open world that you can take at your own pace. You start encountering other creatures and can interact with them in either combat or social [ways], but you can also do things on their behalf.”

Some quests help the player’s creature evolve. Others, called Evolutionary Quests, require your creature to meet the needs of other species and guide those beast’s evolution. So you’ll be shaping not just your species but a menagerie of planetary lifeforms. Gaining an ability for your own creature, like jump, might allow access to otherwise unreachable areas. In that regard, exploration of the terrain is encouraged in ways that “Spore” PC did not. Said Bradshaw, “We’ve brought in action quests [consisting] of games that you play in the overall landscape of the creature that really do take advantage of those evolutionary steps that you’ve taken.”

While no screenshots have been released of the game yet, Bradshaw described a cheerful experience that suits Nintendo’s image. “This is very playful,” she said, explaining why the game wasn’t slated for, say, the PlayStation 3. “It takes advantage of the controls explicitly. And even stylistically, when you see the game, you’ll go, ‘Oh yeah, that’s definitely a Nintendo Wii game.’” As for the controls, she said that the team is “taking a look” at the Motion Plus option for even better Wii motion-sensitivity than what is available directly out of the box.

This Wii debut for “Spore” is sounding to be more like an action-adventure driven by the changing shape of life than the cell-to-stars skip through evolution that the original “Spore” was.

“Spore Hero” is one of the many Wii titles from EA, which has pledged to back Nintendo’s console in 2009 in ways that could rival even the house of Mario itself. It is slated for a fall release, alongside “Spore Hero Arena,” a companion game for the Nintendo DS.

Not surprisingly, this sounds like a more action-adventure-y take on the premise of EVO or Cubivore. Could be fun.

Vdragoon

Chojin said:
With consoles having limited RAM compared to PCs, i don't see how its possible to make a more PC version of Sims 2 on a console. All the console sims are alike in function, not just th e Wii. Plus they sell well? So if it aint broke? Also the people that play Sims2 have sims 2 so why would they play the same damn game on their console?

... is this a joke post or just total ignorance?

The Sims 2 System Requirement
* T&L capable video card with at least 32 MB of video RAM
* 800 MHz processor or better
* 256 MB RAM if Windows Vista, XP, Windows ME, Windows 98 or Windows 2000

A new Sims can be done on the Wii and can totally be done on PS3 and XBOX360.

bdouble

Father_Brain said:
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/03/09/new-details-about-spore-hero-for-wii/

Not surprisingly, this sounds like a more action-adventure-y take on the premise of EVO or Cubivore. Could be fun.

Yeah could see that one coming. It was going to be either a game focused on the tribal phase or a more robust rpg like title like the DS game. Am looking forward to seeing more.

One thing though What exactly does she mean by this:
when you see the game, you’ll go, ‘Oh yeah, that’s definitely a Nintendo Wii game.’

gotta love the generalization of the wii by both developers and media. Not only its audience but its games now. Give me a break. Because when I see Wii game I think NMH, OMY, ABaHB, Madworld and Galaxy. Spore will borrow from one of those.

edit: or does she mean the screen shots will look like shit?

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
What Lucy meant when she said that to me is this:

I asked her why this game wasn't slated for other systems, like the PS3, for example.

She then said the quote you see in the piece. My impression is that she meant the style of the graphics, the colorful playfulness of it all, will make it feel more at home on the Wii than it would on other systems.

You and I know that you can do colorful and playful on other systems (see LBP or Viva Pinata), but the generalization holds up.

Alex P

stephentotilo said:

I asked her why this game wasn't slated for other systems, like the PS3, for example.

She then said the quote you see in the piece. My impression is that she meant the style of the graphics, the colorful playfulness of it all, will make it feel more at home on the Wii than it would on other systems.

You and I know that you can do colorful and playful on other systems (see LBP or Viva Pinata), but the generalization holds up.

You can't deny that people will see that and definitely construe it in other ways, Stephen.

Link

The Autumn Wind
stephentotilo said:

I'm just going to start ignoring games from developers that assume all Wii owners are 6 years old. Starting with this.

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Link said:
I'm just going to start ignoring games from developers that assume all Wii owners are 6 years old. Starting with this.

So they should have made Spore photo-realistic?

Or they should not have tried to evoke the feel of the most popular sector of Wii games?

This game is coming from the same corporation doing Dead Space Wii. I don't understand the reason to fret.

stephentotilo said:

Or they should not have tried to evoke the feel of the most popular sector of Wii games?

This game is coming from the same corporation doing Dead Space Wii. I don't understand the reason to fret.

It's a dubiously worded generalization, but I'm not sure why people are bitching. It's not like the PC version was dark and gritty.

Link

The Autumn Wind
stephentotilo said:

Since when are children the most popular sector of Wii gamers? It's such a stupid assumption.

Haunted

After the massive promises, Spore was a fairly substantial letdown (not a bad game, but expectations were sky high) - I had more fun with the DS game, because while it was much smaller in scale, it focused on my favourite part of the Spore package - the creature stage.

That said, this Wii game should be right up my alley.

Deku

Banned
Maxis games are not gritty, brown or a first person shooter. News at 11.

Fact of the matter is, Sim City would also not fit into the PS3 and 360 demographic which is why pretty much every single Maxis property has failed to make an appearance on those platforms.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Deku said:

Fact of the matter is, Sim City would also not fit into the PS3 and 360 demographic which is why pretty much every single Maxis property has failed to make an appearance on those platforms.
They aren't on the Wii, either. Instead, there's "MySims," which is pretty much what we can expect from this Spore game going by what this woman said.

Link said:
They aren't on the Wii, either. Instead, there's "MySims," which is pretty much what we can expect from this Spore game going by what this woman said.
Actually, from the sound of it, I would have to disagree.

She talks about building up you creature and adding new parts/ changing it's shape. I expect it to have a good deal of "cute" tossed on it but I think it's meant to expand on this one area of Spore greatly which I think is different from My Sims in that manner. I have no problem with the already cartoony game becoming come cute/ cartoony.

(And I think it's clear that people think "bright and colorful" when they think Nintendo (SMG) compared to MS (Halo) and Sony's (GoW/ MGS) images in the gaming world.)

Anyway, I like what I hear! Hoping they take to M+ if the game is made to play greatly on motion controls.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Deku said:

What? This makes no sense. Sim City fits everywhere. The Sims franchise itself appeared on EVERY console last gen and sold well. There's ZERO reason EA shouldn't pimp out both MySims and The Sims 3 everywhere. To not do so is leaving money on the table.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I hope they didn't get overboard with the artstyle. The original game was already cartooney anyway.

The description seems right up my alley though, as I like me some action-adventure. Could this be the new E.V.O.? :eek:

I'm just kinda worried that the "create-your-creature" part won't appeal to me. I'm lazy with user-generated content.

Top Bottom