• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAMEPUMP - Service cancelled, everyone refunded + 2 bonus apology games

FoneBone

I get why they may not be able to explicitly list many games from the get-go but it'd be nice if they could at least provide more of a ballpark for the types of games they're trying to release--I don't hoard games for the hell of it and I'm not really interested in giving them in-principle support; I want to know the criteria by which these games are being selected and I want to know more about the people choosing the games so that I can decide whether I can trust them to pick things I'll actually play.

Pretty much this; the idea of it sounds nifty, but with absolutely no hints of what games they might be publishing, I can't really bite on it. Also, the bit about "spiritual successors" is way too vague - they're asking us to take it completely on faith that those games won't be half-assed.

If they'd at least announce some of the developers and publishers they have on board, I'd be a lot more interested.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I also have an order number in the 20s. Seems so far that a numerical plurality, maybe majority of purchases are from GAF haha.

Skikkiks

20 bucks for 13 games. At best I'll super enjoy a game I essentially got for like 2 bucks, at worst I'll just give the code away to some bloke who wants it.

It's gonna be hard for this to go wrong at that price point tbh.

Gaogaogao

I have the same problem with alot of monthy services, I just dont like not knowing what im buying before I pay.

like if you sold me a bundle will all the games at a discounted rate, after I know what they are I might buy.

I'd be down to subscribe if they can get No One Lives Forever 2. I gave up on seeing it re-released. It's a good test.

Somewhere Oipic's ears just pricked up!

Definitely want to see at least the first one but sounds like a great idea. Maybe they should have named the first game to build a little more interest.

Though I hope they have planned this out well ahead of time as Nightdive have shown getting the rights to a lot of old games is like the proverbial minefield.

Dambrosi

Banned
I'm with JaseC here. I paid via the PayPal link, and wasn't asked for any iD/email confirmation before signing in and paying. I assume that they will just send me the links via my PayPal email account. I've had no subscription confirmation email, either, which does worry me just a little.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I just thought of something, couldn't all these games essentially be games that are already on GOG?

I guess technically yes, but if you look at the pitch that would be very misleading. The implication is that they're licensing games that are not presently available, updating them in a material way including supporting Steam features, and also publishing indie "spiritual successors" to existing titles. If they were just doing DOSBOX re-releases of GOG releases, that would be shitty. It's also not clear who they'd be working with--most of the GOG exclusives are from companies who are on Steam and don't need an external partner to release there.

KingV

I subbed. I figure 20 bucks for 13 games isn't too bad. There's probably at least 3 or 4 that won't be terrible.

jholmes

Seems like it's a bit slow. Worried about whether or not they'll make it to a full year's worth of games tbh.

All they need is to have one big title attached to the service and they will get an avalanche of free publicity. They might be planning to start this thing with a bang come January.

This seems like a really clever idea. They get the benefit of the subscription model where people are locked in. Then after the game is released them still see income from sale of the game on Steam at it's normal price.

Powerpuff

A good concept to support and interesting enough to give a try from my part.
I am pleased to see more classic gaming initiatives. Games are meant to be played.

Hopes and wishlist:
- I hope their selection will be good and not limited to a special time period.
- I'd like them to focus not only on games from past consoles but also from old computers and arcade.

Miker

Hey folks,

Just posted an interview with Gamepump, much more details about the service available here:

http://www.indiedb.com/features/gamepump-a-subscription-service-that-brings-classic-games-to-steam

This sounds really cool! As already expressed, makes me want another NOLF :D

Them naming Wayforward as one of their partner is somewhat reassuring, although Wayforward works with anyone and everyone. I feel like Shantae GBC might be a possibility, or maybe the Mighty Switch Force series. That said, all the phrasing sounds like the service is in its infancy and a lot of it sounds like pie in the sky promises. I'm cautiously optimistic, but again, I wouldn't be shocked if I don't see all 13 of my games I paid for.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Fuck it, I'll sub. Likely going to be a bunch of PS1 era or older games that no one really liked when they released, but let's find out.

#45, as long as they don't steal my Credit Card I think I'll be happy.

Hey folks,

Just posted an interview with Gamepump, much more details about the service available here:

http://www.indiedb.com/features/gamepump-a-subscription-service-that-brings-classic-games-to-steam

Thanks for posting (and doing the interview), helped smooth out my inner qualms about the service. I'm in, at least there is a 99% chance this $20 ain't going to end up as wasted as my $20 I used on the MN9 KS.....

@MUWANdo

Banned
Hey folks,

Thanks! Here are the parts that most interested me:

IndieDB: Will Gamepump be seeking out indie developers specifically to work with? If so, what avenues for contacting Gamepump and exploring a partnership are there for existing indie developers?

Bowling: At the moment we're working with a very select group of indie developers in the Los Angeles area, but as the service grows and our publishing slate diversifies, we'll be looking to partner with any indie developer interested in classic game design. The best way to get a hold of us is through our website's contact form or by emailing me directly at robert@gamepump.com. Our publishing deals are fairly straight forward compared to a traditional publishing deal with a larger corporation. We offer an upfront project financing advance to cover the development costs. We will obviously debut the game day-and-date with the Steam release and market it through the service. Only active subscribers receive the game at a massive discount, the rest of sales are directed through Steam at full price (not counting any Steam discounts currently running). We then split revenue with the developer.

We're currently working with Wayforward, a 25 year veteran studio responsible for the DuckTales Remastered game with Capcom, as one of our first external development deals.

We have a large collection of catalogue titles and IP that we've obtained from defunct publishers, acquired publishers, and working with existing publishers who have IP they own and are doing nothing with. We'll partner with an indie studio to help bring that game back out. Sometimes that work is less creative and more technical in nature (emulation, wrappers, rebuilds).

Hey folks,

Lastly are the more rare cases of "spiritual successors", these are games that simply can't be re-released for legal reasons. Perhaps the rights are tied up with an entity embroiled in controversy and court battles. Perhaps there are licensed products or music or videos in it which can't be cleared by the copyright holder for re-release. Whatever the reasons, we are able to get original team members and designers to work with our indie partners on creating a new but authentic sequel to that game under the original IP or under a new one.
Can...can they call up the Stasis devs to do a Crusader: No Remorse successor? Pls

STASIS_no_remorse_by_ChrisBischoff_stasisgame_dot_com.jpg

2. We have a large collection of catalogue titles and IP that we've obtained from defunct publishers, acquired publishers, and working with existing publishers who have IP they own and are doing nothing with. We'll partner with an indie studio to help bring that game back out. Sometimes that work is less creative and more technical in nature (emulation, wrappers, rebuilds).

I have a feeling 90% of this service will be "SNES game put into a slightly modified emulator," which makes sense for the price.

I find the weird part to be "If we can't get the rights to the game, we'll make a spiritual successor," which sounds A. Legally shaky to declare that blatantly ("If we can't get your game officially, we'll clone it"), and B. Not feasible for how little the service costs, even though they're also banking on Steam direct sales in addition.

I'll still take a chance on it, and if I end up with Spike McFang and Aero the Acro-Bat in my Steam account, that's not the end of the world.

I have a feeling 90% of this service will be "SNES game put into a slightly modified emulator," which makes sense for the price.

I find the weird part to be "If we can't get the rights to the game, we'll make a spiritual successor," which sounds A. Legally shaky to declare that blatantly ("If we can't get your game officially, we'll clone it"), and B. Not feasible for how little the service costs, even though they're also banking on Steam direct sales in addition.

I'll still take a chance on it, and if I end up with Spike McFang and Aero the Acro-Bat in my Steam account, that's not the end of the world.
Is it cloning if they're working with the original dev team in those cases?

There's two things that'd interest me:
-Japanese classic games that had PC releases.
-Rayman 2 and 3.

Except for that, I'll pass. Although Wayforward being on board makes me wish for Sigma Star Saga.

I wouldn't mind that to be honest.

Is it cloning if they're working with the original dev team in those cases?

Yes, because the original dev team doesn't own the rights in most circumstances.

Spiritual successors are an accepted thing in the industry, but to make a clear declaration, that could almost be seen as a threat to licensers, "if we don't get the rights to your highly-demanded game, we may clone it", may be a bridge too far?

Corpekata

Banned
They aren't suggesting they will clone it, but for instance, they get the rights to an IP, but not a specific game, because some weird contract makes it so Company X owns the specific game itself but not the IP, so they'll just make another. It's hardly like they'll just clone things willy nilly.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yes, because the original dev team doesn't own the rights in most circumstances.

Spiritual successors are an accepted thing in the industry, but to make a clear declaration, that could almost be seen as a threat to licensers, "if we don't get the rights to your highly-demanded game, we may clone it", may be a bridge too far?

I think probably the scenario in which that would happen is not "If you won't license this to us, we'll clone it", it's "If you won't work with us to resolve this orphan work situation from your bankrupt-for-20-years company that is impeding the original developer from continuing their vision, we'll ignore you and work with them to make a spiritual successor" but of course the original pitch is very vague.

I hope they can bring back The Movies by Lionhead Studios. It was on Steam many years ago.

My #1 most wanted, honestly.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm all about classic games getting rereleased but if they expect people to subscribe they should at least announce one game so people know what to expect.

Tizoc

Can I has some Psikyo please?
psikyo.png

The PSOne ver. of Gunbird was released on Steam the one ft. MILF 2000, but I'd rather get the OG unedited Gunbird 1 for starters.

jholmes

Straight up, if this was just one month of Spike McFang and 11 months with no games, I would be over the moon happy with this thing.

dex3108

Well based on the price Bayonneta or Shenmue HD are probably out of the question. We will probably get really small games that we never released on Steam.

Corpekata

Banned
There is that company Console Classics that released a few PSone emulated games last year. They appear to have gone defunct / out of business, and last I saw Night Dive was releasing a few of their games on GoG / Steam, so they clearly are working with outside teams or sold what they did own to others.

http://consoleclassics.co/?page_id=15

Only a few have appeared so far like D.

Pretty much the only interesting one left is Koudelka I'd say.

Top Bottom