• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAMEPUMP - Service cancelled, everyone refunded + 2 bonus apology games

I can't wait to find out what the games actually are! The preview video suggests NES, DS and N64 games based on the games that were digitized - if this is a hint as to what theyre converting, this could potentially be fantastic.

You think they can do Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber? Does Nintendo hold the rights, or are they with Atlus or Square?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I can't wait to find out what the games actually are! The preview video suggests NES, DS and N64 games based on the games that were digitized - if this is a hint as to what theyre converting, this could potentially be fantastic.

You think they can do Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber? Does Nintendo hold the rights, or are they with Atlus or Square?

Squeenix owns the IP, but judging from the game's rear cover/manual, ownership of the game itself is split between Sega and Squeenix.

Squeenix owns the IP, but judging from the game's rear cover/manual, ownership of the game itself is split between Sega and Squeenix.

Eugh. Sounds like a legal quagmire. Partly owned by Sega? Really?

Ah well, thanks for looking it up JaseC, I'm shit at working out that sort of stuff.

Durante

As someone with over 3,000 games in my Steam account, this pitch is really speaking to me. One of the reasons I don't like the Humble Monthly is because the one time I signed up for it I got 4 games I already owned alongside two I didn't. Humble Monthly typically has great games, but they're often games I already own.

If they're able to pull it off, I'm happy to fork over $20 for 13 games with Steam keys that are guaranteed to not be something I already have - with the added bonus that we might end up with a few games resurrected from consoles that can be more easily preserved on PC.
I agree with all of that (including the reason for not being interested in Humble Monthly -- if there's something I want on there, I probably already own it).

I'm really considering that $20 offer.

Caffeine

went for the $20 offer, used paypal also didnt get a confirmation email.

Its only $20 lets see what they can bring out. and I agree with durante every humble monthly bundle I owned pretty much every game.

SpikeDaPenguin

Neo Member
Can i buy this games on Steam later without Gamepump?

Yes you can however if you buy the games later you will miss the huge discount you'll get if you don't subscribe to GAMEPUMP.

So it's up to you to decide if you want to risk $20 and see if the games are something you like or spend more later once they are reviled.

Edit : Darn, beaten by JaseC.

KainXVIII

Yes you can however if you buy the games later you will miss the huge discount you'll get if you don't subscribe to GAMEPUMP.

So it's up to you to decide if you want to risk $20 and see if the games are something you like or spend more later once they are reviled.

I don't like to buy a cat in a sack.

hiro4

Jumped in to, curious to see what they will offer.
$20 is not much for 13 games and also liked the Extra Life angle.

Got number 191 myself.

I mean they seem to be doing pretty okay according to Twitter?

6EtuEmC.png

ApMpHe4.png

Looks like they've had a lot of PayPal orders and have now fixed the confirmation problem perhaps.

Parsnip

Yeah, it's not surprising that people would opt to use paypal instead of CC.
I know I did.
Even though the person behind the thing is known, I don't give out my CC details to most stores if I can help it, no matter how legitimate.

It's also more convenient in case you need to swap in new card info, but that's another thing entirely.

Nzyme32

I contacted their support about getting a confirmation of the PayPal transaction I made to GamePump, prior to their supposed changes since I haven't heard anything - - Still not heard anything.

Nillansan

I contacted their support about getting a confirmation of the PayPal transaction I made to GamePump, prior to their supposed changes since I haven't heard anything - - Still not heard anything.

Try contacting Robert Bowling directly through Twitter.

Tizoc

So it's either NBA Hang Time, Street Fighter Alpha 2 or Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 that they are prepping for their initial release.

SFA2 is on GOG but it is a bad port. UMK3 is available as part of the Klassic collection on Steam isn't it?
Likely to be NBA Hang Time, but if they somehow manage to get any of those Ninty games I'm gonna have to start questioning reality XP
Actually SFA2 would be a nice option long as it is as arcade perfect as possible.

that's the subpar alpha 2 port that's been drm-free on gog forever, then. pretty lame

No the one on gog.com is different; it is based on the PSOne ver.

KingV

I doubt it's any of those games. NBA hangtime would be such a garbage choice, and the other two are semi-available.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Alpha 2 and MK3 had PC ports already (Alpha 2 is even available on GOG), so that doesn't fit their "never on PC" mantra.

Obviously they don't have the NBA license. So the obvious answer is we are getting Nintendo games on Steam.

No we aren't

KingV

There are probably a good number of good to great non-Nintendo SNES games that are not available on PC, but damned if I can think of many off the to top of my head except for maybe Ogre Battle or Tactics Ogre. Maybe... Chrono Trigger? Though I feel like that must have been ported at some point.

NES I feel like there probably aren't a ton worth playing. NES games have largely aged poorly, and Nintendo published games are almost the only ones that hold up well at all.

Therefore,I am expecting Bayonetta in January and Vanquish in February.

jholmes

I think Marvel Super Heroes War of the Gems is more likely than NBA Hangtime. I can see Disney being more interested in this than the NBA and Capcom's back catalogue has to be easier to sort out than wherever everything Midway did wound up.

But maybe this is nothing anyway.

Tizoc

I think Marvel Super Heroes War of the Gems is more likely than NBA Hangtime. I can see Disney being more interested in this than the NBA and Capcom's back catalogue has to be easier to sort out than wherever everything Midway did wound up.

But maybe this is nothing anyway.

Another tweet featuring a Sega Genesis ad would balance it out, as I think they're hinting at the systems that the games are coming from than anything.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
GamePump tweeting about SNES.

Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits and 2 controllers for (Online) Multiplayer? That would add up to $70.

To me that seems pretty reasonable. A few names that people may remember, but no one would really buy. I'd assume they would port the actual arcade games and not the SNES version though, but there were old Windows versions of that collection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_Arcade's_Greatest_Hits

Fun fact, did you know Joust on the NES was ported by Iwata?

Corpekata

Banned
Street Fighter I feel like Capcom would just do themselves, and NBA would have license issues.

MK I can see. Historically lazy PC developer and publishers, and WB does seem sort of weirdly aggressive in some areas (see all their Bundlestars deals) so I can see them being on board with this, even if the game technically has been on PC already.

That being said, googling the game + PC shows like a metric shit ton of free versions floating around. I'd have to imagine if it were that, we might be seeing some of them getting taken down.

So I guess, no fucking clue really.

Syril

There are probably a good number of good to great non-Nintendo SNES games that are not available on PC, but damned if I can think of many off the to top of my head except for maybe Ogre Battle or Tactics Ogre. Maybe... Chrono Trigger? Though I feel like that must have been ported at some point.

NES I feel like there probably aren't a ton worth playing. NES games have largely aged poorly, and Nintendo published games are almost the only ones that hold up well at all.

Therefore,I am expecting Bayonetta in January and Vanquish in February.
There are some of the lower profile and rarer games that would definitely be worth it though, like The Guardian Legend or Little Samson.

I'd kill for a Steam port of something like Beetle Adventure Racing or Rumble Racing, but there's all kinds of licensing shenanigans and I doubt EA would let those go to Steam first.

jholmes

There are some of the lower profile and rarer games that would definitely be worth it though, like The Guardian Legend or Little Samson.

Square-Enix does just about nothing with Taito's back catalog so I think this is a great idea but very unlikely. Square-Enix's squandering of Taito's work is second only to what Konami has done to Hudson.

I'd kill for a Steam port of something like Beetle Adventure Racing or Rumble Racing, but there's all kinds of licensing shenanigans and I doubt EA would let those go to Steam first.

Yeah EA do something cool for once in your life.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Robert Bowling said:
Our first game will actually be the PC debut of an award winning puzzle game that is fairly recent, after that we're going very classic from a gaming catalog that we actually pulled out of bankruptcy courts for the defunct publisher who once published them. That will give us a large catalog of games which we will spice up and mix a diverse style of games around. My focus, in terms of wishlist, are console exclusives from the NES, SNES, MSX era - those also require the most legal work in most cases, so we'll keep at them while also releasing others we've already received the rights for.

A recent award winning puzzle game that didn't hit PC? Hmmm.

EDIT:

The first game start's with an "L" and will be a debut to PC and has had brand new levels and even an additional unlockable character added to the game for fans. The interesting thing is our debut game is actually our most recent game too, but the following games go more retro classic. As I said, classic to us can be any great game. The real appeal is bringing stuff to PC that has never been there.

Starts with an L? Maybe a Lumines game?

"Fairly recent"

Hmmm. Not what I expected from this service. I thought it was going to be older console stuff that never appeared on PC. If they're playing by these rules they could just clog up next year with PC ports of "fairly recent" games that were exclusively on the Android/ios store. Just sayin...

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Later in the interview Bowling says it starts with L.

It's probably LIT?

If it's actually LIT, then for me this whole subscription will have been worth it. It's one of the few horror-type games (even if more a puzzler) I know of but don't own, and a PC port would greatly excite me.

>This is a horror enthusiast talking though.

Top Bottom