• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAMEPUMP - Service cancelled, everyone refunded + 2 bonus apology games

It has to be Lit as mentioned above. I'm down for that. Looks like they'll be adding new levels and a character too. The unlockable character could be the girlfriend you're saving as the main guy in the game.

ROBERT:
The first game start's with an "L" and will be a debut to PC and has had brand new levels and even an additional unlockable character added to the game for fans. The interesting thing is our debut game is actually our most recent game too, but the following games go more retro classic. As I said, classic to us can be any great game. The real appeal is bringing stuff to PC that has never been there.

"Fairly recent"

Hmmm. Not what I expected from this service. I thought it was going to be older console stuff that never appeared on PC. If they're playing by these rules they could just clog up next year with PC ports of "fairly recent" games that were exclusively on the Android/ios store. Just sayin...

See the quote above. He distinctly says this is the most recent game they have planned.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I am excited if it's LIT, but I am a horror enthusiast. It was a well-reviewed, well received WiiWare game in 2009, it's a puzzle game with a horror theme.

Here were two trailers for it:

LIT Trailer 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS1x0hXU3EQ

LIT Trailer 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeC__fvHZX4

It was well received at the time, and being a horror enthusiast obviously this excites me. It's one that's not in my mostly complete collection of Wii Horror Games.

And if there's new content and redone elements, I'm peachy.

Dusk Golem

Really enjoyed Lit, but I hope it's a port of the Wiiware version and not the mobile one.

I completely forgot about the mobile game. That is recent, like a year old, I would prefer the WiiWare one too to the mobile game, though if they came together that'd be sweet. I would take the mobile one, but would prefer the WiiWare one.

For comparison, here was the mobile LIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOMKFzB1nP8

Anyways, it's one of these twoo LIT games I'm pretty sure, it's the only games by WayForward that start with the letter L (outside of an old Looney Tunes game).

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Wiiware is an interesting mine to tap. Would be awesome if they could somehow work out deals for PC ports of stuff like Konami's Rebirth series, Alien Crush Returns, and Star Soldier R. Did LostWinds ever get ported elsewhere?

Dusk Golem

What's the gameplay like in LIT? Specifically, does it use motion stuff in any significant way?

Okay, so I've never actually played LIT, it's part of the reason I'm excited for it since I thought it'd be one of the Wii horror games I'd never get a good chance to play or add to my collection. I do know of it being a person who researches these games, though.

The WiiWare game was basically a puzzle game with horror elements. LIT's use of the Wii Remote was very limited and would be easy to emulate on PC. Basically the game didn't use the Wii Remote functions at all unless you went to behind-the-shoulder mode to scope the environment/use your slingshot (the game is typically was top-down, but had a mode where you would go behind the shoulder to use a slingshot weapon and your flashlight). Then it was just pointer controls, and to put in a new battery in your flashlight (it has limited use since light is important to gameplay) you'd shake the Wii Remote.

Gameplay basically has you going through different rooms of a school, mostly classrooms but there were other levels like a library, the gym, etc. In each room, your goal is to get to the exit. You start off in a pitch black room with only your flashlight and slingshot in the only source of light in the room, and quickly need to find a light to turn on or a window to break or something to get a light trail going (step into darkness and the monsters can get you easily). The gameplay is simple, there are entities in the dark, they cannot enter the light. Before you found a lightsource, you could focus your flashlight gaze on an enemy to stun them, but the flashlight again had limited batteries and couldn't be relied on for too long. When you get light sources going it becomes a puzzle game to get out fo the room, sometimes you need to find a key, sometimes you need to just find the exit or stop a particularly powerful entity from getting you before you exit. The flashlight and slingshot were very limited so you could not rely on them, You can use your slingshot to break windows open, but it also used ammo.

I've heard it introduces a lot as it goes on, like bombs and trickier entities with different behaviors, and such, but never played again. I know the original game had 30 levels if this is the WiiWare version (which I hope it is and it is older). Story had you saving your girlfriend, and it was well reviewed at the time for what it was. I remember it got a 9/10 on Destructoid and a 7.1/10 on IGN.

Labadal

Sorry to keep on asking, but is there anyone that paid for this that haven't gotten a confirmation mail and no response from customer service?

Dusk Golem

Sorry to keep on asking, but is there anyone that paid for this that haven't gotten a confirmation mail and no response from customer service?

I don't think anyone that ordered from PayPal got a notification email. I got the PayPal notification, but not otherwise. We'll see how that goes when January rolls around, though hope they're aware and all that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/genre/metascore/puzzle/all?view=condensed

Metacritic Puzzle Games starting with L, MC >=70:

Lumines (doesn't have playable characters, doesn't fit, did apparently get a PC port at one point)
Lemmings (tons of PC releases in the past, recent ports to various consoles including from Team17 so probably doesn't need rescuing)
Lit
LocoRoco (owned by Sony)
Line Rider (currently on Steam)
Link 'n' Launch (owned by Nintendo)
Luxor (on Steam already)

It's almost certainly Lit. Lemmings does have playable characters and levels, but it wouldn't be described as "recent". Neither Lit nor Lemmings seems to be award winning, but it's clear that Lit is the better fit regardless.

Pehesse

Same here, and same thought process as Dusk Golem! I hope the Paypal notification+transaction number will be enough.

I don't think anyone that ordered from PayPal got a notification email. I got the PayPal notification, but not otherwise. We'll see how that goes when January rolls around, though hope they're aware and all that.

Knurek

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/genre/metascore/puzzle/all?view=condensed

Metacritic Puzzle Games starting with L, MC >=70:

Lumines (doesn't have playable characters, doesn't fit, did apparently get a PC port at one point)
Lemmings (tons of PC releases in the past, recent ports to various consoles including from Team17 so probably doesn't need rescuing)
Lit
LocoRoco (owned by Sony)
Line Rider (currently on Steam)
Link 'n' Launch (owned by Nintendo)
Luxor (on Steam already)

It's almost certainly Lit. Lemmings does have playable characters and levels, but it wouldn't be described as "recent". Neither Lit nor Lemmings seems to be award winning, but it's clear that Lit is the better fit regardless.

Lemmings is also owned by Sony.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lemmings is also owned by Sony.

I wasn't sure if that was totally clear. I know Sony owns Psygnosis but I wasn't sure if, given the large number of ports since then, that was a separate thing. But yeah. Plus, what's more likely, that WayForward is porting their own game, or that WayForward is not porting their own game that matches the exact description of the game being released but instead is porting another unrelated game that matches that same description?

Labadal

Got a response, so I am happy.

You're all set. There is no additional email besides the PayPal confirmation. Soon we will have user accounts that let you sign in and manage your subscription but in the meantime no additional action is required.

.beep .boop

Robert Bowling
President | GAMEPUMP

andrespi

Subscribed for 1 year to this. I love retrogaming. I even asked for two games (even though I fear it's unlikely they will ever port them) on their official twitter:

- North & South (NES).
- The Adventures of Rad Gravity (NES).

When I was young, I spent so many hours (months) on those two. Especially Rad Gravity.
If they make these two happen, i will stay subscribed for life. But even with LIT, it would already be worth the 20$ price for me.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Subscribed for 1 year to this. I love retrogaming. I even asked for two games (even though I fear it's unlikely they will ever port them) on their official twitter:

- North & South (NES).
- The Adventures of Rad Gravity (NES).

When I was young, I spent so many hours (months) on those two. Especially Rad Gravity.
If they make these two happen, i will stay subscribed for life. But even with LIT, it would already be worth the 20$ price for me.

North & South would be really cool but I think there's a weird rights situation with the game. You might want to check out this loosely inspired(?) game on Steam: The Bluecoats: North vs. South

Some stuff I'd like--attention @fourzerotwo, I'm a very early subscriber and an enthusiast promoter of Game Pump to all my friends--all from publishers that don't exist anymore or are basically out of the industry and which don't have any external licenses:
- Crystalis (NES)
- Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom (NES)
- Rescue: The Embassy Mission (NES)
- Granstream Saga (PSX)
- Irritating Stick (PSX)
- Big Sky Trooper (SNES)
- The Ignition Factor (SNES)
- Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures (SNES)
- S.O.S. (SNES)
- Spanky's Quest (SNES)
- The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang (SNES)
- Sunset Riders (SNES)

Narroo

Pretty much this; the idea of it sounds nifty, but with absolutely no hints of what games they might be publishing, I can't really bite on it. Also, the bit about "spiritual successors" is way too vague - they're asking us to take it completely on faith that those games won't be half-assed.

If they'd at least announce some of the developers and publishers they have on board, I'd be a lot more interested.

This part seems a bit hard to swallow. They make it sound easy.

The idea sounds cool, but I'm skeptical of whether or not it will work.

I completely forgot about the mobile game. That is recent, like a year old, I would prefer the WiiWare one too to the mobile game, though if they came together that'd be sweet. I would take the mobile one, but would prefer the WiiWare one.

For comparison, here was the mobile LIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOMKFzB1nP8

Anyways, it's one of these twoo LIT games I'm pretty sure, it's the only games by WayForward that start with the letter L (outside of an old Looney Tunes game).

I heard the mobile game was a huge downgrade but wow, this is the first time I've seen it.

jholmes

- Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures (SNES)

This hit the Wii U Virtual Console within the last year so it wouldn't exactly be rescued out of mothballs.

Rock-solid list otherwise. If all these LucasArts adventure games can get remastered, why not some love for Big Sky Trooper?

andrespi

North & South would be really cool but I think there's a weird rights situation with the game. You might want to check out this loosely inspired(?) game on Steam: The Bluecoats: North vs. South

I didn't know a remake/inspired game already existed for North & South. Thanks, i will check it out and probably buy at the next sale.

I also thought of another NES game I would love to play again. Spent so many hours as a kid:
Battletoads & Double Dragon . Not sure who own the rights or how doable it would be, but it would be great if they could bring it back.

Parsnip

I didn't know a remake/inspired game already existed for North & South. Thanks, i will check it out and probably buy at the next sale.

I also thought of another NES game I would love to play again. Spent so many hours as a kid:
Battletoads & Double Dragon . Not sure who own the rights or how doable it would be, but it would be great if they could bring it back.
Specifically Battletoads went with Rare to Microsoft and Arc System Works ows old Technos stuff like Double Dragon now. Game itself was Rare developed and had a few different publishers depending on region, I wonder who actually owns it now.

Parsnip

http://www.alistdaily.com/strategy/robert-bowling-explains-gamepump-makes-old-ip-new/

GamePump currently has 20 games in the pipeline as well as a few spiritual successors or modern remakes redone by a current developer in the works. “The main console we’re pulling games from is the 1983 MSX,” Bowling said. “We found Nintendo doesn’t allow you to emulate any hardware because they’re doing it themselves. But if Japanese publishers released the same NES game on non-Nintendo systems like MSX, we could acquire the MSX version. It’s the same game, but we need to localize them. The nice thing is that many MSX versions will have an extra level or different ending that the American audience never got to enjoy.”

Each game deal is on a case-by-case basis due to the nature of the legal contracts. Sometimes GamePump acquires an entire catalog of games, and in those cases, they can release them on as many platforms as possible. “In rarer cases, it’s a larger publisher like a Konami or a Microprose, where they’re not going to sell the catalog but they will license it to bring to Steam because they’re not going to do it themselves and we split revenue with that publisher,” Bowling said. “If Steam goes well, it’s not farfetched to do releases on other platforms. We’re trying to own as much as we can, but sometimes it’s worthwhile to get IP you don’t own.”

So, can we hope for MSX Metal Gear on Steam? It would be pretty dope if he got them to license the whole Metal Gear catalog, not just the MSX games, though that seems unlikely.

Knurek

"But if Japanese publishers released the same NES game on non-Nintendo systems like MSX, we could acquire the MSX version. It’s the same game, but we need to localize them. The nice thing is that many MSX versions will have an extra level or different ending that the American audience never got to enjoy.”

Whoever says MSX versions are the same games as NES ones, has obviously never played on MSX.
That system couldn't handle scrolling... like, at all...

MUnited83

For you.
Nintendo "doesn't allow" seems weird. I'm sure Steam already has a few emulated games from Nintendo consoles just fine.

Gestault

I'm so uneasy with blind buy-ins, even if I find the pitch fascinating. My feeling is that if the games are worth buying, I'll buy them at the retail price.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm so uneasy with blind buy-ins, even if I find the pitch fascinating. My feeling is that if the games are worth buying, I'll buy them at the retail price.

Honestly, at the current discounted price, even if you only like 1/13 or 2/13, you're saving versus buying at retail price (assuming ~$10 at release), and you can almost certainly flip the keys you get for greater than $1.50 a key, so it's hard to imagine you'll get burned unless the service literally does not launch and they just run away with your money.

Knurek

Honestly, at the current discounted price, even if you only like 1/13 or 2/13, you're saving versus buying at retail price (assuming ~$10 at release), and you can almost certainly flip the keys you get for greater than $1.50 a key, so it's hard to imagine you'll get burned unless the service literally does not launch and they just run away with your money.

I'm not sure getting $1.50 for a MSX game will be possible.

androvsky

We found Nintendo doesn’t allow you to emulate any hardware because they’re doing it themselves.
This is an odd quote. I assume it's referring to not allowing, say, Konami to emulate Nintendo hardware on another platform, and the repercussion would be getting kicked out of the VC. Otherwise I can't make any other sense of it.

Wok

Nintendo doesn’t allow you to emulate any hardware because they’re doing it themselves. But if Japanese publishers released the same NES game on non-Nintendo systems like MSX, we could acquire the MSX version. It’s the same game, but we need to localize them.

Hum. I see lots of Nintendo being advertised.

RBGdKYu.png
9CNh8Pe.png
I3LZlrX.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's not like Nintendo can do anything. As long as the there's no Nintendo code used in the emulator, you don't need Nintendo's authorization for anything.

I think ultimately whether or not they have a legal leg to stand on, most small companies, who are already only making pennies on these endeavors, don't want to deal with C&Ds, legal issues, and future contractual barriers to working with Nintendo. There are lots of legal system situations where even if you're legally right, it's not worth fighting. :(

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
The early MegaTen games are unlikely to be released west on anything because those early games were based on novels and getting all the rights would be a nightmare of Japanese beauracracy. There'should no telling if Aya Nishitani would want the games west without the books.

Gestault

The effort to resell isn't worth the money to flip them, and the last thing I need is another batch of unplayed games in my digital "locker." I'm not saying I'm not interested in the games if they're good; I'm happy to buy them when they catch my eye, but for my situation, this model is pointless. My concern isn't anything close to them running away, it's just that they're selling me a box with a question mark on it. I don't want that.

Zia

As someone that's already slapped down the $20, this is really disappointing. Especially given the Nintendo imagery they very intentionally use.

It’s the same game, but we need to localize them.

No. No it's not, Robert.

Ah well, guess we'll see. And apparently Digital Eclipse is still alive and kicking and announcing something early next year so we may see some interesting NES on Steam regardless.

Top Bottom