• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamer-approved laptop recommendation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoku88

Well, HP does have the highest return rate for laptops according to consumer reports. Then again, that's across all lines. I think an Envy is still made by the Vodoo people, who HP bought, so it wouldn't be farfetched that it would be of higher quality.

Firestorm

Yeah, this chart says the same:
4117118708_d5a077e88a.jpg

In any case, I'm not too sure I want a laptop that starts at 4.5 hours and goes down to 2 hours or so. I intend to keep this laptop for 3 - 4 years like my last one.

Firestorm

I'm thinking of doing that. I just want to know about the battery life while running Windows 7 as I hear it's different from OSX.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Lionheart1337 said:
Gamer approved laptop......does not compute.
Computer hardware has outpaced system requirements. One of the benefits of this long ass console cycle. You can play Crysis on a netbook.

I love my asus I bought like a year and a half ago for $800. (it wasn't a brand new model but it by far exceeded anything in that price range. I would have had to spend $1000 or so to move up) Played a ton of games on it. Mass Effect, TF2, L4D2, Dawn of War 2, Starcraft 2, Crysis, etc.

Doesn't run them on ultra settings but usually can get a good mix of medium/high with good framerate. The video card is the biggest bottleneck. Not good enough for fancy shaders.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=5135

that's the model. Should be less than $500 now, well worth it for a budget purchase. I'm playing starcraft 2 on medium settings currently.

tirant

Any experience with an ACER TimelineX 3820T/G?

One of the main factors for me is battery life. ACER says it should give around 8hrs or more. But I don't really trust any brand regarding batt. life.

Intel® Core i3 330M
2.13GHz (1066Mhz FSB)
L3Cache
3Mb
Chipset
Intel HM55 Express
4096Mb DDR3 (1x2048Mb+1x2048Mb)
Pantalla
13.3" HD CineCrystal LED LCD (1366x768)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 512Mb
500Gb SATA 5400rpm
Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b/g/n
9000mAh, 11.1V, 99Wh (AS10E7E / BT.00907.013)

Dolby Home Theater, Virtual Surround Sound, SPDIF, Multi-Gesture TouchPad
1.80 Kg

paskowitz

I have a Dell SXPS 1645 (Core i5 540m 2.53ghz (3.06ghz boost), ATI MRadeon 4670 1GB, 4gb DDR3 ram, 500gb 7200rpm HDD, 1920x1080p screen, intel centrino ultimate N 6300 AGN wireless card and a Zalmann NC200) that cost $1250.

This is one of the most under ratted and under recognized laptops on the market. Its a great value and literally is one of those computers that can do it all. Gaming, video editing, media, you name it, it does it.

The 540m is more than enough for 90% of games out. Its runs very cool and compared to C2D takes far less power. Its a really good CPU. Current SXPS16s come with the i7. For example Crysis and Far Cry 2 are the types of games that get held back. As it stands it has no trouble encoding a 10 minute 1080p video in Adobe Encore CS5 in under 30 minutes.

The ATi 4670 is by far the biggest and if I may be honest ONLY weakness of this laptop. Once you get past games like Mirrors Edge and go into games like Crysis and NFS Shift you will have to turn the settings down. It run MW2 at max between 45 and 60 fps. Basically you can usually have the settings at max for most games just no AA and little MSAA. Also you will most likely have to run at 720p. The current SXPS16 comes with the newer 5730 which is only marginally better. The AW M11x does have a slightly better GPU (not that you can see those differences on an 11'' screen). With a better card this would be the best overall laptop on the market.

4gb is enough for me and 99% of situations. If you want more, more is available.

500gb HDD again is enough for me. There are SSD options. There is also NewEgg

This computer has THE BEST LAPTOP SCREEN ON THE MARKET. I say that with no exaggeration or bias. I have tested them all. It puts MBP 17'' screen to shame. HP, not even close. Sony is the only company that even makes a 1080p screen that can even begin to compare. It is truly breathtaking. Avatar and Planet Erath in 1080p looks absolutely stunning. As do any games at 1080p. If there is a single reason to get this computer it is this. That being said it is glossy and quite reflective.

I got a special wireless card that is not even offered on Dell's site. I am sure if you asked them for it they will give it to you. But anyways WOW, what a difference. This thing picks up signals that don't even show up on other people computers. It makes gaming wirelessly a completely viable option.

The only other downside besides the GPU is the heat. This weakness is however negated with the purchase of a Zalman NC2000 notebook cooler. Idle temps are in the mid to high 40c's without and high 30c's to low 40c's with. Gaming is where you see the biggest improvement. Without temps can hit 80c. With they NEVER climb above 65c.

Other little things. This computer has a great backlit keyboard which to me is a completely necessary feature. It looks really slick. In car terms its more Audi RS4 than Mercedes C63amg. Understated with class. However the glossy surface does attract finger prints. The speakers are LOUD! Like really really loud. The quality is not 10/10 but they do a very good job. The mousepad is great and can have multitouch. Boot to home screen is 90-120 seconds. Shut down is 30-45sec. Only 3 usb ports. Other ports: HDMi, eSATA, 3 audio ports, display port, VGA, ethernet and firewire.

There is one other thing I should mention, throttling. If you do not know what it is google it. Its far less likely to get this if you have a 130w power brick and is even less likely if you have the newer GPU. So in other words do not get a used SXPS16. If you do have it for some reason Dell WILL replace your computer.

In summary, I believe this laptop puts 90% of its competitors to shame. The MBP15's only trump is its a Mac other than that this computer is better in EVERY regard. The HP Envy is nice but also comes at a hefty price of $ and no disk drive. Sony's compare nicely until it comes to gaming. AW is more gaming focused but again at a price. No computer does what this computer does at this level for this price point.

It is an Audi RS4 for the price of an Mitsubishi Evolution. Its not the fastest kid on the block but it the best value.

Pics:

dell-xps-13-and-dell-xps-16.jpg

dell-studio-xps16.jpg

zalman-NC2000-black.jpg

Videos (not by me):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oS2Lr5NhfE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq-jbWuZNp8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhaPONggnA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q5pUeFi-PE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XALP4Kcc6Tg

domlolz

Banned
brain_stew said:
Its complete shit. 80 SP = don't waste your time.

We've said it before but on the ATI side the 5650 is the lowest you should be aiming for if you want to be doing any sort of serious amount of gaming. You can get laptops featuring the 5650 (and even a quad core if you want) from as little as $800 these days.

Ahh that card seemed pretty decent for the price range I'm looking at which is, ideally, under £500. Then again, I'm hardly looking for desktop quality for that price range just something that can handle a bit of TF2,other source games and perhaps a few 'console port' games.

Then again I just had a better look at that NotebookCheck website and it seems there are a load more models I will have to check out

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
paskowitz said:
I have a Dell SXPS 1645 (Core i5 540m 2.53ghz (3.06ghz boost), ATI MRadeon 4670 1GB, 4gb DDR3 ram, 500gb 7200rpm HDD, 1920x1080p screen, intel centrino ultimate N 6300 AGN wireless card and a Zalmann NC200) that cost $1250.

This is one of the most under ratted and under recognized laptops on the market. Its a great value and literally is one of those computers that can do it all. Gaming, video editing, media, you name it, it does it.
It costs too much for what you get. Spending over $1k for a gaming notebook can net you a Mobility 5850. Then there's the poor cooling solution and throttling issues.

Griffin said:
That's what I thought when I bought the 4670 with my Dell Studio XPS 16. Thing runs fine the first few months but now i'm hitting 80 degrees C when playing WoW on the lowest settings.
Well have you um, ever, cleaned out the fans and heatsinks?

jtb

Banned
So I've going to be traveling on business a lot this next year, and I'm going to want a powerful computer for both gaming and graphic-intensive programs (video editing, primarily) - and I'm fine with it being a Desktop Replacement. I obviously can't get a desktop because I'm going to be constantly moving every 2 weeks or so.

So with that in mind - is this the best computer (speaking strictly from a performance viewpoint) for me?

Asus G72GX-RBBX05 for $999 new

Intel Core 2 Duo P8700
6GB DDR2
500GB HDD
17.3" 1600 x 900 screen
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M w/ 1GB DDR3 VRAM

And - please, don't recommend me to get a desktop because it just isn't feasible in my current situation. Thanks!

Edit: Oh and I'd prefer to keep it under $1000.

dLMN8R

None of the usual coupon code sites are showing anything interesting for the M11x :-(

If anyone sees something good for the Core i5, lemme know! Or the thread! But mostly me!

Griffin

paskowitz said:

I have the same laptop, well I have the Studio XPS 1640. With a C2D, 4670, 4GB DDR and 1080p HD screen.

It has great specs, but the construct is just emberassing:

2qxu8ly.jpg

Just ordered a notebook cooler, hopefully it will do it's thing.

K.Jack said:
It costs too much for what you get. Spending over $1k for a gaming notebook can net you a Mobility 5850. Then there's the poor cooling solution and throttling issues.

Well have you um, ever, cleaned out the fans and heatsinks?

Yes, I should open my laptop and void my warranty.

K.Jack

the walrus said:
So I've going to be traveling on business a lot this next year, and I'm going to want a powerful computer for both gaming and graphic-intensive programs (video editing, primarily) - and I'm fine with it being a Desktop Replacement. I obviously can't get a desktop because I'm going to be constantly moving every 2 weeks or so.

So with that in mind - is this the best computer (speaking strictly from a performance viewpoint) for me?

Asus G72GX-RBBX05 for $999 new

Intel Core 2 Duo P8700
6GB DDR2
500GB HDD
17.3" 1600 x 900 screen
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M w/ 1GB DDR3 VRAM

And - please, don't recommend me to get a desktop because it just isn't feasible in my current situation. Thanks!

Edit: Oh and I'd prefer to keep it under $1000.
The MSI GX640 is a much better buy. It's right at the peak of your $1k budget, but....

- It's a smaller footprint at 15.4", with a more modern resolution to boot
- The Core i5 will smoke that Core 2 Duo
- The Mobility 5850 will massacre the GTX 260M, at anything. It's 2010, so don't go with the GPU that's still based on the 9800 GT
- Better build quality

Think it over.
Griffin said:
Yes, I should open my laptop and void my warranty.
What, is there a Doomsday switch, which will activate if you remove the back panel?

Your heat is higher because the fan is caked in dust, period. You need to clean out your fans, as basic maintenance, because it's only going to get worse.

It's impossible to break anything in the process. Does Dell want you to let your machine slowly deteriorate? Are they implicate, in that opening it is an auto-void of your warranty? If so, forget them. You've spent the money, so it's now your responsibility to take care of it.

Eventually, the notebook cooler won't even help, because your fan system will become too dusted.

Azure J

Hey everyone, just wondering what GAF's opinion would be on the HP ENVY 17. I'm a sucker for aesthetics and function and this one looks like it doesn't skimp out on either with its i7 720M, USB 3.0 & Mobility 5850. Thing is, the ASUS G73-A1 keeps on tempting me with better storage (2 x 500GB 7200RPM vs. 2 x 320GB 7200RPM) & a better GPU (HD5870 vs 5850) for around the same price. As much as size doesn't bother me when it comes to my laptops (I had a 17" for a while, and loved the screen way back, it spoiled me), I'm fond of both the Envy's proportions (it's definitely nicer looking and easier on the eyes in a college setting) and weight (7.25 lbs vs 8 lbs), but I've been hearing scary things about its build quality every now and again. As much as I could just return it if it's a lemon, I'd rather not deal with that level of headaches and feelings of "is this one just pretending to be ok" again. :lol

With the ASUS, I love what it's packing but that bulge is gonna make me stand out if I take it around town.

K.Jack

The Envy 17 is solid. If I wasn't resolute in waiting for ATI's Blackcomb and Nvidia's mobile GF104 to hit, I'd consider one.

If you want a lot of user opinion, skim through this forum thread.

I guarantee, there have been twice as many G73 RMAs. That thing has been a slight trainwreck.

Azure J

K.Jack said:
The Envy 17 is solid. If I wasn't resolute in waiting for ATI's Blackcomb and Nvidia's mobile GF104 to hit, I'd consider one.

Blackcomb huh? *snaps himself out of the wait for better tech thinking*

Well now I'm happy to make a decision, Envy 17 it is, hopefully I can snag one to go back to college with.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
It also depends on the type of PC games you play what laptop you want. If you play strategy games, you'd want a faster processor and RAM over the graphics card.

Don't underestimate reliability either, you can't play crap if your laptop's broke, no matter how powerful it is.

I have an Asus G71G. I've had problems with fan noise on startup,and one case where the power supply moved and disabled my laptop (had to take it to a shop for that , got fixed for $30)- but the parts are high quality according to the repair guy.

Then again, I have this fancy gaming laptop- and the most powerful games I play are Stardock's, Kohan, and TF2. Go figure.

K.Jack

Breaking.

Nvidia is about to totally own the mid-range mobile GPU space.

GT 445M:
GT-445M.jpg

GF106 based.

EDIT: A bit further down, there will be the GT 425M:

GT-425M.png

GF108 based. Either 96 or 128 CUDA cores.

These will be in today's ~$800 notebooks.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
K.Jack said:
The MSI GX640 is a much better buy. It's right at the peak of your $1k budget, but....

- The Mobility 5850 will massacre the GTX 260M, at anything. It's 2010, so don't go with the GPU that's still based on the 9800 GT
- Better build quality

I'm looking at getting a new laptop and pretty much my only requirements is for it to be able to play StarCraft 2, WoW, and TOR (when it comes out). I know we don't know the TOR specs, but $1,000 is pretty much the most I want to spend and this seems like a good deal so I guess it can run those games easily? I'm pretty sure it will run WoW, but SC2 is my main concern (and TOR's specs should be mid-high range anyway).

K.Jack

Shrinnan said:
I'm looking at getting a new laptop and pretty much my only requirements is for it to be able to play StarCraft 2, WoW, and TOR (when it comes out). I know we don't know the TOR specs, but $1,000 is pretty much the most I want to spend and this seems like a good deal so I guess it can run those games easily? I'm pretty sure it will run WoW, but SC2 is my main concern (and TOR's specs should be mid-high range anyway).
It will run anything. The Mobility 5850 is a downclocked 5770, and is easily overclocked.

Don't sweat the Core i5's speed either. With the tests I've run, it's as fast as my old 2.93Ghz Core 2 Duo.

Shrennin

K.Jack said:
It will run anything. The Mobility 5850 is a downclocked 5770, and is easily overclocked.

Don't sweat the Core i5's speed either. With the tests I've run, it's as fast as my old 2.93Ghz Core 2 Duo.

I've never been a PC gamer so I don't really know how to overclock anything but I should be good anyway? If so, I think this will be the one I want. I just need the laptop to run the few games I mentioned (forgot to add Diablo 3 and League of Legends) while allowing me to do work on it.

SapientWolf said:
There's a version of that with an i5 on Amazon for only $40 more. That's the one I'm personally eying, but it's more of a desktop replacement because of the battery life.

can you give me a link to the i5 version please? i've been looking all over for it but cant seem to find it

K.Jack

Shrinnan said:
I've never been a PC gamer so I don't really know how to overclock anything but I should be good anyway? If so, I think this will be the one I want. I just need the laptop to run the few games I mentioned (forgot to add Diablo 3 and League of Legends) while allowing me to do work on it.
Yes, the overclocking is completely optional. Even at stock, it'll be enough for you needs.

jtb

Banned
K.Jack said:

- Better build quality

Think it over.

Hmmm... I really do like what it offers. Decent battery life (for a gaming-capable laptop), i5, 15" and I didn't know that about the 5850 - good to know...

I'll definitely consider this one. Any other similar laptops in this price range? Someone in the other thread pointed me to the Asus G73jh, but that's definitely out of my budget.

Also, are there any promotions going for the m11x atm? If that thing wasn't so goddamn ugly, it would probably be an instabuy...

Shrennin

K.Jack said:
Yes, the overclocking is completely optional. Even at stock, it'll be enough for you needs.

Thanks. I think this is the one I'll end up getting. From my own research, it seems like it's the best option hands down for that price range.

hie

Ive been seriously looking at the ASUS N71JQ-A1 for a desktop replacement/audio/media/gaming machine. It actually has dual 320gb 7200rpm drives and not one 640 as listed. I prefer that as I like to have all my audio files separate from the main drive.

So my real question: is the 5730 going to give me some nice gaming? Thanks!

edit: I see they've released a newer version with an nVidia GeForce GT 425M in it. Anyone know which would perform better? Thanks again

K.Jack

hie said:
Ive been seriously looking at the ASUS N71JQ-A1 for a desktop replacement/audio/media/gaming machine. It actually has dual 320gb 7200rpm drives and not one 640 as listed. I prefer that as I like to have all my audio files separate from the main drive.

So my real question: is the 5730 going to give me some nice gaming? Thanks!

edit: I see they've released a newer version with an nVidia GeForce GT 425M in it. Anyone know which would perform better? Thanks again
You should expect performance near the desktop 5570 or 4670.

The GT 425M is a new Fermi chip, and will be a bit faster. If the two models are priced the same, I'd probably take the Nvidia chip, unless you prefer ATI.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
K.Jack said:
Breaking.

Nvidia is about to totally own the mid-range mobile GPU space.

GT 445M:
[IM]http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h204/killer-ra/random%20nonimportant%20stuff/GT-445M.jpg[/IMG]

GF106 based.

EDIT: A bit further down, there will be the GT 425M:

[IM]http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h204/killer-ra/random%20nonimportant%20stuff/GT-425M.png[/IMG]

GF108 based. Either 96 or 128 CUDA cores.

These will be in today's ~$800 notebooks.
I'm assuming better than 5650, but how much?

Patryn

K.Jack said:

- Better build quality

Think it over.

If I wanted to get my hands on the MSI GX640, would it be worthwhile to upgrade the processor to an i7 (trying to future-proof), and if so, what would be the best and most reputable site to buy it on? Frankly, seeing that I can, I'd probably also upgrade the heatsink compound, RAM and HD while I'm at it.

Or is there a stock gaming laptop that would serve me better? I'd rather not spend more than $2k, and I really don't want to have a screen larger than 16" (I actually do lug my notebook around, and larger than that becomes unwieldy).

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Finally ordered my M11x R2 :D

Hard Drive - 250GB SATAII 7,200RPM
Memory - 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 800MHz
Processor - Intel® Core™ i7 640UM (4M Cache, 1.2 GHZ with 2.266 GHz Max Turbo Frequency) - Overclockable
Monitor - 11.6-inch WideHD 1366x768 (720p) WLED
Weight - See attached file
Color - Alienware M11x, Soft Touch Stealth Black
Operating System - Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Wireless - Alienware M11x a/b/g/n 2x2 MIMO Wireless
Warranty - 1 Year Basic Plan

I'm so excited to be back to the "superior" gaming race :lol.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
zero margin said:
You owe it to yourself to get borderlands on steam right now then as it is $10 at the moment. :D

Already done bro.

2ut4uq1.jpg

Icicle

So I have a fairly theoretical question regarding buying a laptop, I hope you guys can help me out!

I am thinking of a purchasing a laptop that will hopefully last me about 4 years. But with the rate at which technology is advancing, I have a hard time spending so much money on a computer that will be outdated shortly afterwards.

Would I be better off buying a high-end computer and riding it out for four years, or should I spend half as much on a middle-of-the-road one now and two years later, spend the rest of the money on another mid-range laptop?

Firestorm

Icicle said:
So I have a fairly theoretical question regarding buying a laptop, I hope you guys can help me out!

I am thinking of a purchasing a laptop that will hopefully last me about 4 years. But with the rate at which technology is advancing, I have a hard time spending so much money on a computer that will be outdated shortly afterwards.

Would I be better off buying a high-end computer and riding it out for four years, or should I spend half as much on a middle-of-the-road one now and two years later, spend the rest of the money on another mid-range laptop?
I bought a clearance, floor model laptop for $800 + tax in January 2007. I'm thinking of upgrading now about 3.5 years later (battery is completely shot). If you don't care about gaming at the high end that much, you can easily do with a $1000 laptop for 3 - 4 years.

Technology is at the point where efficiency matters more than power in laptops. For everyday users, laptops can run everything they want. Only 3D modellers and gamers need more power.

Okay, I posted this in the PC thread. Maybe it was the wrong place. I'm gonna repost here.

I'm shopping for a laptop that needs to last me ~4 years of grad school with "downtime gaming" possible on it. No more than 15.5" dimensions (the smaller the better within reason), no more than 6.5 lbs. I'd like to be able to run Starcraft 2, Diablo 3 and Civ 5 on the thing without it breaking much of a sweat.

I have a budget of $1050.

Suggestions? My shopping for this thing has just involved a lot of blind stumbling at this point. I know enough about the desktop market, but don't really have a grasp on the finer points of laptops. Would quad cores run hot for a laptop? Obviously, a dedicated video card is gonna add unwanted heat to the whole equation. I don't even know how nVidia's naming process for their GPUs work. It's all pretty shitty. I also don't want a laptop that's gonna look like shit, like alienwares or high end ASUS desktops replacement tanks.

Also, all you PC pros, tell me what you think of this one. It seems good to me, but I want you to tear this thing to shreds, tell me what sucks and what could be improved.
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch_v3.asp?scriteria=BA37690&pagetitle=ASUS%20N61Jq-A1%20Notebook,%20Intel%20Core%20i7%20720QM%201.6%20GHz,%2016

Also, if there's something coming on the horizon (1-2 months) I can hold off if it means a good amount of future-proofing buffer.

Shrennin

I'm still leaning towards the MSI, but I did see some good deals with:

thinkpad

If I decided to get this over the MSI (because of the deals) would it still be able to play SC2, LoL, WoW, Diablo 3, and other games? Or should I probably go with the MSI?

keeblerdrow said:
Okay, I posted this in the PC thread. Maybe it was the wrong place. I'm gonna repost here.

I'm shopping for a laptop that needs to last me ~4 years of grad school with "downtime gaming" possible on it. No more than 15.5" dimensions (the smaller the better within reason), no more than 6.5 lbs. I'd like to be able to run Starcraft 2, Diablo 3 and Civ 5 on the thing without it breaking much of a sweat.

I have a budget of $1050.

Suggestions? My shopping for this thing has just involved a lot of blind stumbling at this point. I know enough about the desktop market, but don't really have a grasp on the finer points of laptops. Would quad cores run hot for a laptop? Obviously, a dedicated video card is gonna add unwanted heat to the whole equation. I don't even know how nVidia's naming process for their GPUs work. It's all pretty shitty. I also don't want a laptop that's gonna look like shit, like alienwares or high end ASUS desktops replacement tanks.

Also, all you PC pros, tell me what you think of this one. It seems good to me, but I want you to tear this thing to shreds, tell me what sucks and what could be improved.
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch_v3.asp?scriteria=BA37690&pagetitle=ASUS%20N61Jq-A1%20Notebook,%20Intel%20Core%20i7%20720QM%201.6%20GHz,%2016

Also, if there's something coming on the horizon (1-2 months) I can hold off if it means a good amount of future-proofing buffer.

Hp Envy 14?

13" MBP with student discount?

Owzers

Sooo would it be best to wait to buy a laptop till these 445M ones come out?

I'd hate to buy something, then by the time i really need to use it: Witcher 2, KOTOR MMO, Diablo 3, something better will already be out.

paskowitz

K.Jack said:

I will have to respectfully disagree... sort of. For just gaming, you can do better. Sure MSi, Sager, and AW are all better at the price point. But its the overall package that makes it an unequivocally great value. So sure you do not get the best GPU but its definitely capable for a lot of peoples tastes. But you do get 4-5 hours of battery life, realistic portability (ie <7lbs and relatively thin), and I can't say it enough an amazing screen.

And as for throttling. Yes it WAS a huge problem... and while it is not completely gone, FAR less systems suffer from it.

As far as heat, yeah the SXPS16 was designed be moron, but we are talking about gaming notebooks here. You will not be playing on your lap (not without a cooler) with any laptop, so what the hell does it matter?

So no its not a gaming notebook, but is a notebook that does gaming and many other things very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom