• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamer-approved laptop recommendation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought about the ENVY 14. What's the build quality like on those compared to the other HP lines? I have one priced out to exactly what I need, too.

Shambles

paskowitz said:
I will have to respectfully disagree... sort of. For just gaming, you can do better. Sure MSi, Sager, and AW are all better at the price point. But its the overall package that makes it an unequivocally great value. So sure you do not get the best GPU but its definitely capable for a lot of peoples tastes. But you do get 4-5 hours of battery life, realistic portability (ie <7lbs and relatively thin), and I can't say it enough an amazing screen.

And as for throttling. Yes it WAS a huge problem... and while it is not completely gone, FAR less systems suffer from it.

As far as heat, yeah the SXPS16 was designed be moron, but we are talking about gaming notebooks here. You will not be playing on your lap (not without a cooler) with any laptop, so what the hell does it matter?

So no its not a gaming notebook, but is a notebook that does gaming and many other things very well.

So it's slower, more expensive, has technical issues yet it is the BEST LAPTOP EVAR!!11ONEone? Geez, who do you work for? My 680$ lenovo with a meager 5730 would destroy that in any sort of gaming.

Everyone else go buy the GX640 instead like a sane person.

Frostburn

keeblerdrow said:
I thought about the ENVY 14. What's the build quality like on those compared to the other HP lines? I have one priced out to exactly what I need, too.

I'm using one right now, (girlfriend just got it) and it is the best quality I've seen outside of a new Macbook Pro. Looks damn sexy and feels great. Doesn't have the best videocard around (ATI 5650, no slouch though) it has a great combo of battery life (With the switchable graphics, which you can change when you want, when you unplug to run off battery it asks if you want to switch to the onboard intel 2d card) and performance/size/cost.

I recommend it.

Just sat back down after getting a drink and seeing it sitting on the table with the backlight keyboard all I could think is "Damn sexy" (Girlfriend is not here so its not cheating)

Hey all looking for a gaming laptop don't mind it being compact, have a budget of 900 pounds. Looked at the NX 11 and the Sony VAIO.

Edit: Sorry my orriginall post was garbage.

Basically I'm looking to spend £900 on a gaming laptop, I've had a look around and the Alienware M11x and the SONY VAIO look decent. I'm new to laptops though and was wondering if there was better?

I see the ENVY 15 has a 5830 in it. How does that compare to other cards in terms of performance? With a school discount, I could snag a ENVY 15 for around $1,019.

Owzers

heringer said:

I was looking around real quick since i'm also looking for something around $500-600 for laptop gaming and most of the $500 laptops have integrated graphics, i don't think that would play kotor mmo Xo

heringer said:

The $750-$800 mark is when things finally start getting decent for gaming. The gap between the machines that pack a GT 330M or 5650 and those with integrated graphics or a 310m/5450/5570/etc. is vast. You go from damn near every modern game being playable at decent settings @ ~720p to most modern titles struggling to pull 30fps even with minimum settings.

This is about the best you can do, nice and small with good battery life to boot, its "recertified" but beggars can't be choosers at this price range:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114901

This is slightly faster (though I doubt you'd notice any real difference in games) and cheaper though its pretty bulky and battery life likely won't be fantastic:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834107057

keeblerdrow said:
I see the ENVY 15 has a 5830 in it. How does that compare to other cards in terms of performance? With a school discount, I could snag a ENVY 15 for around $1,019.
Envy 15's and Envy 17's have build quality issues.

check the NotebookReview forums.

Envy 14 I haven't kept up on, but hopefully it's built better.

for $1,000 I'd probably look at the Asus systems.

heringer

sillymonkey321 said:
I was looking around real quick since i'm also looking for something around $500-600 for laptop gaming and most of the $500 laptops have integrated graphics, i don't think that would play kotor mmo Xo
That's spooky. Playing the Old Republic MMO is exactly why I'm buying a laptop. How did you figured that? :lol

brain_stew said:
The $750-$800 mark is when things finally start getting decent for gaming. The gap between the machines that pack a GT 330M or 5650 and those with integrated graphics or a 310m/5450/5570/etc. is vast. You go from damn near every modern game being playable at decent settings @ ~720p to most modern titles struggling to pull 30fps even with minimum settings.

This is about the best you can do, nice and small with good battery life to boot, its "recertified" but beggars can't be choosers at this price range:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114901

This is slightly faster (though I doubt you'd notice any real difference in games) and cheaper though its pretty bulky and battery life likely won't be fantastic:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834107057

Yeah, I figured that. I'm won't play anything fancy though. Just games like Torchlight, Old Republic (supposedly it will be optimized to a very broad range of specs). Thanks for the help!

edit: which video card is better, the Radeon HD 3200 or the HD 4200?

Owzers

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I really wish these gaming laptops all didn't have webcams. /: I can't take in a laptop that even looks like it has a camera on it.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
keeblerdrow said:
The Mobility 5830 is about as fast as a 9600 GT. That's a rough estimate though. Myself and another benched it against my GTX 260M, which is as fast as a 9800 GT, and that's the conclusion I came up with in the end.

800 shaders w/ 128-bit GDDR3, but somehow it performs exceptionally well.

It's literally a desktop 5770, with the GDDR5.

InfiniteNine said:
I really wish these gaming laptops all didn't have webcams. /: I can't take in a laptop that even looks like it has a camera on it.
What?

Shambles said:
So it's slower, more expensive, has technical issues yet it is the BEST LAPTOP EVAR!!11ONEone? Geez, who do you work for? My 680$ lenovo with a meager 5730 would destroy that in any sort of gaming.
I don't want to start an argument, but it seems like a case of purchase justification.

The XPS16 is lagging far behind, as a gaming machine, because Dell wants to push gamers towards the Alienware line.

asdad123

King of Custard said:
Looked at the HP ENVY, the only one in my price range is still using Intel Core though.

I own a Envy 14, and I love the amount of power it has in such a small computer. I own one with the i5 450 and 4gb ram. Im able to OC the 5650 to 530/960 and the gaming performance on it is above what I expected.

FFXIV beta runs at native res (1600x900) at low settings with an avg of 30 FPS. When your out in the fields with not many people near you, I get like over 40. In towns it goes down to 20/25 but thats to be expected.

The mafia 2 demo runs on it on high at native res at 28 avg fps according to the benchmark. IF i drop it to 1280x720, i get over 40 fps easy.

This small laptop packs a great punch. Gets about 4 hours battery life on integrated graphics. Hell, I even played FFXIV on the battery for an hour yesterday and still had about 50% left lol

Yea it looks good, but looking at the sony vaio f series I can get a i5 2.40ghz processor and a 1gb Nvidia gt330m plus blu-ray for cheaper? So what am I paying for?

dLMN8R

Finally got my m11x! Dell was nice enough to ship it a week early :D

Not bad, not bad. Hugely impressed with the build quality, but the screen is about what I expected it to be. Wish these things had a Matte option.

This is my first-ever Alienware purchase, so I was really happy with how it was shipped and packaged. Very professional and neat, compact box, none of the annoying fluff. And the fact that the Windows 7 installation was almost totally clean was pretty surprising! I think the only thing I uninstalled was the Cyberlink webcam thingy or whatever that was.

I'm currently downloading Starcraft II from my Battle.NET account and a ton of m11x-appropriate games from my Steam account. Are there any configurations, utilities, or other things other m11x owners recommend in the meantime while I download 10s of gigs of data?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
For the love of god, cap your SC2 frames. Or your computer will melt!

Also, when did you order your m11x? I put my order on the 17th and it still says in production.

dLMN8R

Pankaks said:
For the love of god, cap your SC2 frames. Or your computer will melt!

Also, when did you order your m11x? I put my order on the 17th and it still says in production.
Dude you gotta give it more than 2 days :p

I ordered mine on the 11th. It said it would ship on the 23rd or so, but it shipped on the 15th, got it on the 19th.

1) How do I cap my SC2 frame rate? I remember reading that but didn't think it would be a problem on the m11x

2) is there any sort of utility that will tell me if I'm using integrated or dedicated graphics?

I looked in the NVIDIA profiles and the only "game" detected so far is Steam itself. I don't want to be running dedicated graphics at all times Steam is open, yet I don't want to have to manually configure all the games I've downloaded with Steam...

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
dLMN8R said:
Dude you gotta give it more than 2 days :p

I ordered mine on the 11th. It said it would ship on the 23rd or so, but it shipped on the 15th, got it on the 19th.

1) How do I cap my SC2 frame rate? I remember reading that but didn't think it would be a problem on the m11x

2) is there any sort of utility that will tell me if I'm using integrated or dedicated graphics?

I looked in the NVIDIA profiles and the only "game" detected so far is Steam itself. I don't want to be running dedicated graphics at all times Steam is open, yet I don't want to have to manually configure all the games I've downloaded with Steam...

I'm just so excited ^_^.

Well regardless, better safe than sorry.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22901792&postcount=12322

I have no idea about the 2nd bullet point I'm afraid.

hteng

Banned
my m11x starts chugging when there's like 400+ objects on the field (especially on TD maps). it's crazy, the game even tells me that my computer's getting slaughtered. :lol

dLMN8R said:
Finally got my m11x! Dell was nice enough to ship it a week early :D

Not bad, not bad. Hugely impressed with the build quality, but the screen is about what I expected it to be. Wish these things had a Matte option.

This is my first-ever Alienware purchase, so I was really happy with how it was shipped and packaged. Very professional and neat, compact box, none of the annoying fluff. And the fact that the Windows 7 installation was almost totally clean was pretty surprising! I think the only thing I uninstalled was the Cyberlink webcam thingy or whatever that was.

I'm currently downloading Starcraft II from my Battle.NET account and a ton of m11x-appropriate games from my Steam account. Are there any configurations, utilities, or other things other m11x owners recommend in the meantime while I download 10s of gigs of data?
I'm torn between the M11x and the Sony VAIO f series so your impressions would be very helpful.

dLMN8R

It's a pretty big difference between the two. The VAIO you point out is a 16"+ screen, so the thing's massive compared to the m11x. It also has a significantly slower GPU in the 330M vs. the 335M.

I haven't used my own m11x for gaming yet....still downloading stuff :lol I did use my friends' for a bit though and it ran Starcraft 2 really well.

dLMN8R said:
It's a pretty big difference between the two. The VAIO you point out is a 16"+ screen, so the thing's massive compared to the m11x. It also has a significantly slower GPU in the 330M vs. the 335M.

I haven't used my own m11x for gaming yet....still downloading stuff :lol I did use my friends' for a bit though and it ran Starcraft 2 really well.
The low clock speed worries me though, plus not entirely sure I like the idea of an external optical drive either. Either way get to playing some games on that thing you owe it to yourself.

dLMN8R

King of Custard said:
The low clock speed worries me though, plus not entirely sure I like the idea of an external optical drive either. Either way get to playing some games on that thing you owe it to yourself.
I don't need an optical drive so I don't have a need for one personally. Are you sure you'd need one?

In general setup of the machine, the CPU clock speed hasn't once proven to be an issue. And there's always the option to overclock if you wish, which would probably help.

I won't be playing games on this till tomorrow, but once I do I'd be happy to report some impressions.

dLMN8R said:
I don't need an optical drive so I don't have a need for one personally. Are you sure you'd need one?

In general setup of the machine, the CPU clock speed hasn't once proven to be an issue. And there's always the option to overclock if you wish, which would probably help.

I won't be playing games on this till tomorrow, but once I do I'd be happy to report some impressions.
Well less and less games are coming on disc only so the only thing is weather I want to watch movies at work or not (Netflix isn't available in the UK), just trying to decide if the graphics performance hit is worth it for Blu-ray. Unless there is other laptops in my £900 price range which are comparable?

dLMN8R

Can anyone help me answer those questions? To reiterate:

1) What's the easiest way to tell if I'm currently in Dedicated or Integrated mode?

2) I installed Starcraft II, and a bunch of games from Steam. That's it. Unfortunately, Starcraft II and Steam are the only listings as "detected games" in the NVIDIA control panel. I believe this means I'd be in Dedicated mode at all times while running Steam, right? I don't want that to be the case - I only want to be in Dedicated when actually running games. Is there some easy way to configure this? How do other m11x owners handle this?

Thanks!

paskowitz

Shambles said:

Everyone else go buy the GX640 instead like a sane person.

First off Lenovo does not sell a notebook with the 5730 for $680, at least not any more and not off sale.

I think you are missing the point I was trying to make. I agree 100% that as a pure gaming laptop the SXPS16 is lagging way behind (and never said otherwise). Was it ever marketed as such, no. Was it designed as such, no.

Oh and BTW the refreshed SXPS16 has a 5730, and it does not "destroy" the 4670 (look it up, its more efficient, cooler, but not all that much faster in terms of actual in game performance).

So then why bother posting it (SXPS16) in a thread for gaming laptops? Well, IMO, it plays most modern games very well (enough for the average person). And on top of that it does normal laptop stuff very well. Thus I believe in my opinion and from personal experience that it is a great laptop for anyone who wants to play PC games but also needs a laptop to excel at other normal tasks.

All this being said IMO the AW M11x is the best compromise between gaming and functionality. Its light, small, powerful and a relative value. But some people want a large screen, loud speaker, understated styling, even if it means a slight hit in game performance. And thats where the SXPS16 comes in.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
dLMN8R said:
Can anyone help me answer those questions? To reiterate:

1) What's the easiest way to tell if I'm currently in Dedicated or Integrated mode?

2) I installed Starcraft II, and a bunch of games from Steam. That's it. Unfortunately, Starcraft II and Steam are the only listings as "detected games" in the NVIDIA control panel. I believe this means I'd be in Dedicated mode at all times while running Steam, right? I don't want that to be the case - I only want to be in Dedicated when actually running games. Is there some easy way to configure this? How do other m11x owners handle this?

Thanks!
Are your drivers updated to the latest? That'll update your default whitelist for starters - you should also get an option to enable a system tray icon which will tell you if any programs are using the Nvidia chip.

If you want to force a choice for a particular app, you just need to find the .exe for the game, right-click it, and you should see an option there of launching the game via Intel or Nvidia graphics. Under those options should be a "change default" option.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
So I'm getting a bit scared bout the heat these bad boys are putting out, what with all the hardware this gen that's famous for overheating and using lead free solder I dunno if my Sony laptop is gonna last that long if I game extensively on it. How much can it take really? I can't even put the thing on my lap without it going red hot (manuals even state you alway put the laptop on a flat, hard surface) I could put my old W98 laptop wherever the fuck I wanted and nothing would happen.

Anyone with a new Sony laptop that can put my mind at ease?

paskowitz

Teetris said:
So I'm getting a bit scared bout the heat these bad boys are putting out, what with all the hardware this gen that's famous for overheating and using lead free solder I dunno if my Sony laptop is gonna last that long if I game extensively on it. How much can it take really? I can't even put the thing on my lap without it going red hot (manuals even state you alway put the laptop on a flat, hard surface) I could put my old W98 laptop wherever the fuck I wanted and nothing would happen.

Anyone with a new Sony laptop that can put my mind at ease?

(FYI I do not own one but...)

Sony has improved over the years... but from computer technicians I have talked say they are still designed ass backwards. I borrowed my friends loaded F series VPCF1290X for a while. Didn't do any gaming but during normal stuff it was quite cool. Very nice laptop in general. Felt very sturdy.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
paskowitz said:
(FYI I do not own one but...)

Sony has improved over the years... but from computer technicians I have talked say they are still designed ass backwards. I borrowed my friends loaded F series VPCF1290X for a while. Didn't do any gaming but during normal stuff it was quite cool. Very nice laptop in general. Felt very sturdy.
Yeah about sturdiness I have zero complaints, it's amazing how rock solid the thing is from the outside. I probably shouldn't really complain about heat yet since nothing happened to me but stories I've been hearing, especially from the salesmen selling me the damn things got me scared

dLMN8R

XiaNaphryz said:
Are your drivers updated to the latest? That'll update your default whitelist for starters - you should also get an option to enable a system tray icon which will tell you if any programs are using the Nvidia chip.

If you want to force a choice for a particular app, you just need to find the .exe for the game, right-click it, and you should see an option there of launching the game via Intel or Nvidia graphics. Under those options should be a "change default" option.
I just got it yesterday and didn't think to update the drivers. The white-list is already huge though, it just wasn't auto-detecting.

I'll check out newer drivers and see. Thanks for the reminder!

dLMN8R

XiaNaphryz said:

So I'm updated to the latest drivers and don't see anywhere to enable this tray icon...where is it?

Also, Steam is still the only item to appear in the list alongside Starcraft II :-( It doesn't automatically detect Steam games individually I guess.

[EDIT] nm didn't actually have the latest drivers installed.

Pancakes

At least you have your M11x >_>.

Superman00

Liverpool01
heringer said:

If you don't mind refurbished laptop. The Asus G50VT X5 is pretty good. It has a C2D P7450 and a 9800M GS. Which is a pretty good card. I bought mine a year ago refurbished. Been using the laptop as a main computer and I have it on mostly 24/7. Haven't encounter a serious problem so far.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=ASUS+G50Vt+X5&hl=en&show=dd&cid=5009497725779705904&ei=bF9vTPeoHIOW2QSyv_S7CA&sa=button&ved=0CBIQgggwAzge&os=tech-specs

http://www.supplysale.com/Item.aspx?sku=01657528OP&sgd=330d308d318d313d315

The second site seems crappy and shady, but google shopping has a lot of review for it and it doesn't seems that bad.

dLMN8R

Now that I've had my m11x for a couple days, I'm ready to post some light impressions

-Initially disappointed with my R2's Core i5 battery life. I turned the brightness down, set it to Power Saver mode, set Chrome to www.ign.com (moderate-flash-based site), and had the page auto-refresh every 20 seconds. Ran down in about 4.5 hours. That's probably 2-3x better than any other laptop I've used :)lol) but still, reading reviews I expected at least 5-6 even with the Core iX-based R2

-I then read about the AlienFX stuff and realized there was a way to turn off the laptop lights when on battery power. It turns out those LEDs on the outside use roughly 2-3mW of power. Doesn't sound much, but considering that the entire laptop uses ~15mW when browsing the web like this with the lights on, that's a huge difference! Probably bumped the battery life by an hour just by doing that.

-I tried playing games in "Balanced" mode on battery power. Metro 2033 ran somewhat playable at medium settings and native 720p resolution. I was impressed. Left 4 Dead 2 runs perfectly (40-60fps) maxed out (no AA) and 720p

-....then I realized that performance goes up by 50% when plugged in, even though I was already in Balanced mode and not Power Saver on battery :lol

-Keyboard was weird to type on at first, but I quickly got used to it. Now, just a couple days later, I find it to be one of the best laptop keyboards I've ever used! And this is coming from someone who used a Lenovo laptop with their notoriously-great laptop keyboards. The keys are light enough to type fast, and just feel great.

-Glossy screen is kind of annoying. Oh well, certainly not a dealbreaker for how I plan to use it.

-General performance is great, going through Windows, setting up programs, etc. The slow CPU clock speed hasn't been a problem at all.

-Face-detection log-in is kinda cool, not sure how useful it'll be in the long run. We'll see...

-I love the sound quality of the speakers, and the fact that there are two headphone jacks built-in. It'll be so helpful when flying with someone when we both want to watch something!

-Small screen size isn't a problem at all, since the resolution is high enough at 720p. Both gaming and general use are great. Only problem is using Google Reader, I wish I had just a little more vertical reading space, but a quick hit of F11 to go full-screen solves that.

-Incredibly impressed at how little heat this puts out even when gaming. Yeah, it gets noticeably warm in my lap, but compared to my 2-year-old work laptop from before the days of power-saving CPUs, this is so utterly wonderful how not-hot it gets!

Pancakes

Nice impressions, now I'm even more excited to get mine :lol.

How's it running StarCraft II? I heard it can run medium settings like a champ but anymore and it starts to go into the 20s.

dLMN8R

I haven't actually played Starcraft II on my own m11x yet, since I've still been playing around with other stuff and tried the game on my friends' Core i7 m11x. On his machine, he played with a mixture of medium/high and it ran smoothly, though there wasn't that much crazy stuff going on.

If I play a bit of SCII I'll let you know how it runs.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Last time I'm going to ask this question before I make my decision, but I think I know what I want right now.

All I care about is performance - I usually keep my current laptop hooked up to its charger and only movie it from desk to desk when I'm moving places.

With that said, what is better for gaming and work:

The MSI GX640-260 15.4
The M11x (I could probably get the i7)
or
The Lenova Thinkpad?

Oh, and I need Wireless N.

I hate to be really wary with this decision, but when you're spending this much money it's hard not to be.

I'm still leaning towards the MSI, but I wanted one final clarification.

Shambles

paskowitz said:
First off Lenovo does not sell a notebook with the 5730 for $680, at least not any more and not off sale.

I think you are missing the point I was trying to make. I agree 100% that as a pure gaming laptop the SXPS16 is lagging way behind (and never said otherwise). Was it ever marketed as such, no. Was it designed as such, no.

Oh and BTW the refreshed SXPS16 has a 5730, and it does not "destroy" the 4670 (look it up, its more efficient, cooler, but not all that much faster in terms of actual in game performance).

So then why bother posting it (SXPS16) in a thread for gaming laptops? Well, IMO, it plays most modern games very well (enough for the average person). And on top of that it does normal laptop stuff very well. Thus I believe in my opinion and from personal experience that it is a great laptop for anyone who wants to play PC games but also needs a laptop to excel at other normal tasks.

All this being said IMO the AW M11x is the best compromise between gaming and functionality. Its light, small, powerful and a relative value. But some people want a large screen, loud speaker, understated styling, even if it means a slight hit in game performance. And thats where the SXPS16 comes in.

Just because you can find a couple benchmarks that line up nicely with the 5730 doesn't change the fact that the majority of games out there see a 20-30% performance increase which yes, destroys, the 4670. If you like your laptop that's fine, be happy. But don't come into these threads and try to lead other forum members into the same trap you fell into by buying it. Dell gaming laptops have gone to shit ever since they acquired the alienware moniker and as a result underperform, and are over priced. Buy an MSI or Asus laptop instead. If you live in the states you can also look at Sagers and the like.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Poohblaster said:
I bought this today for $900 because of the shiny i7 processor. Can someone tell me that I'm not an idiot?

http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/satellite/A660/A665-S6067
I'd take an i5 + 5650 over an i7 + GT 330M.

Shrinnan said:
Last time I'm going to ask this question before I make my decision, but I think I know what I want right now.

All I care about is performance - I usually keep my current laptop hooked up to its charger and only movie it from desk to desk when I'm moving places.

With that said, what is better for gaming and work:

The MSI GX640-260 15.4
The M11x (I could probably get the i7)
or
The Lenova Thinkpad?

Oh, and I need Wireless N.
The MSI still wins.

BTW, if anyone wants the GX640, but without the orange trim, buy here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom