• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers Club Unlocked Appreciation Thread (saving $$$ for the console/handheld gamer)

netguy503

It takes about 10-14 days to show up in your account usually. It's not automatic.

No its showing as 27 points for the transaction and pending. Usually it says "victory can be preordered bonus 500" and pending. Something is not right and I'm going on a trip all next week so I'd like to nip this in the bud before it gets too out of hand.

And I know I can just go to bestbuy.com and talk to a rep but there was a special forum for gamers club where all the mods worked at bestbuys. I think that would be more useful. Thanks.

Owzers

bestbuy.com fine print says you are supposed to show your My Best Buy number when picking up an in-store pick-up pre-order to get your $10 bonus points, but that doesn't make any sense since you already used it when you made the order in the first place. Do you they ask for your card upon pick-up?

Have you guys ever had any issues getting the extra 10% for trades at Best Buy with GCU?

I always get the 20% off when buying new games automatically, but today I went in to trade in The Handsome Collection on PS4 and I only got the extra 30% trade in promo that they are doing now! even after he plugged in the phone number associated with my GCU account.

Do you need to do anything special to get it to pop up or should it be automatic?

You need to give them you GCU number or phone number linked to the account first, before the trade. If they do it afterwards, it voids the trade and they actually have to redo it. At my store, they don't even ask me for my number, so I tell them to please input before starting the trade.

netguy503

bestbuy.com fine print says you are supposed to show your My Best Buy number when picking up an in-store pick-up pre-order to get your $10 bonus points, but that doesn't make any sense since you already used it when you made the order in the first place. Do you they ask for your card upon pick-up?

What? Then how do orders work online to get the $10 back when it clearly says you can get the money back online? I paid for my whole order online and had it shipped to me, I never went to the store. Am I not going to get the money back then? That makes no sense and really frustrates me. If it is, I'm not ordering Witcher III from their online service like I planned.

This sucks. :(

Owzers

What? Then how do orders work online to get the $10 back when it clearly say you can get the money back online? I paid for my whole order online and had it shipped to me, I never went to the store. Am I not going to get the money back then? That makes no sense and really frustrates me. If it is, I'm not ordering Witcher III from their online service like I planned.

This sucks. :(

that language was only for the in-store pickup pre-orders, online and shipping is probably fine.

To be eligible, you must be a My Best Buy™ program member and meet minimum age requirements of purchased game at time of pickup or shipment. Visit BestBuy.com for a list of eligible game titles, street dates, minimum age and other requirements. Street dates are subject to change by publisher. Offer valid at BestBuy.com and in Best Buy stores in 50 U.S./D.C. (excluding Puerto Rico). Game must be pre-ordered by street date and purchased as follows: (1) If you pre-order in store or online for In-Store Pickup, purchase and pick up game within 7 days of street date; or (2) If you pre-order online for Ship to Home, your purchase will be processed and shipped on or about street date. Please provide My Best Buy member number at time of pre-order and pickup. Eligible members will receive 500 bonus points (worth $10 in reward certificates) per qualified purchase. Limit one award per member per title. Points will post to your account approximately 15 days from time of pickup or shipment. Follow instructions on BestBuy.com to issue your reward certificate. My Best Buy membership and reward certificates are subject to My Best Buy program rules. If you are not a My Best Buy member at time of pre-order, you must join online at My Best Buy or at any participating Best Buy store prior to game pickup or shipment. If you join on day of in-store pickup, enrollment must be on the same transaction as game pickup and member number must be provided to be eligible. If you join after game pickup or shipment, you will not be eligible to receive an award for that title. Not valid with any other offers. No dealers. No rain checks.

netguy503

that language was only for the in-store pickup pre-orders, online and shipping is probably fine.

It's clearly not fine as I ordered it online and had it shipped when they were advertising the $10 back on their website and now I only have 27 pending points. Can someone help me out? I leave for a week in two days.

Brew124

It's clearly not fine as I ordered it online and had it shipped when they were advertising the $10 back on their website and now I only have 27 pending points. Can someone help me out? I leave for a week in two days.

There's usually two things in the rewards I believe. One for the actual transaction, and the other for the bonus points.

netguy503

There's usually two things in the rewards I believe. One for the actual transaction, and the other for the bonus points.

yes the mybestbuy points were 14 (lol I only paid $14 for mkx and only $4 for it with the $10 back. I LOVE gamer's club the 9 out of 10 times it works don't get me wrong) and the GCU points were another 14. Believe me I checked everywhere before I asked this thread.

Boke1879

I have just a few questions if I preorder a game from the website for in-store pickup.

Games like the Witcher 3 and now Battlefront now have the $10 promo.

If I preorder online and pick the store pickup option will it charge my card before I go to pick it up? If so? How will they apply my GCU credit and $10 for preordering to the game if my card was already charged the $59.99?

Heel

I have just a few questions if I preorder a game from the website for in-store pickup.

Games like the Witcher 3 and now Battlefront now have the $10 promo.

If I preorder online and pick the store pickup option will it charge my card before I go to pick it up? If so? How will they apply my GCU credit and $10 for preordering to the game if my card was already charged the $59.99?

Your GCU discount is applied at checkout for preorders made online, shipped or pick-up, if you're signed in on the website. You're charged. The $10 arrives online some weeks after the game's release toward a future purchase.

I just do everything through the website and pick-up in-store to make it as simple as possible. Show your order# and ID and out the door, without them messing with GCU.

Boke1879

Your GCU discount is applied at checkout for preorders made online, shipped or pick-up, if you're signed in on the website. You're charged. The $10 arrives online some weeks after the game's release toward a future purchase.

I just do everything through the website and pick-up in-store to make it as simple as possible. Show your order# and ID and out the door, without them messing with GCU.

Ok. So lets say I'm signed in to best buy right now about to preorder Witcher 3 for instore pickup. I assume my card will be charged the full $59.99 correct? So I go in to pick up the game and show them my GCU card? Do they just add the difference back into my bank account?

I can accept the fact that the 10$ credit will be applied to my account later.

Heel

Ok. So lets say I'm signed in to best buy right now about to preorder Witcher 3 for instore pickup. I assume my card will be charged the full $59.99 correct? So I go in to pick up the game and show them my GCU card? Do they just add the difference back into my bank account?

If it's setup correctly, the discount is applied online when you put something in your cart. Try it.

Triz

You need to link your GCU account with your best buy account. It will populate the discount on every order if they are linked.

KissVibes

Banned
So, the 20% off is on PC games too? If you do a price match, can you get the 20% off on top of that? Lastly, is it on all new software or like 'new' as in new releases?

Thanks.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So, the 20% off is on PC games too? If you do a price match, can you get the 20% off on top of that? Lastly, is it on all new software or like 'new' as in new releases?

Thanks.

It's for anything not used. You get 10% off used games too.

And yeah, it does apply to PC games.

Voror

This is actually the first I've heard of this. There's a best buy not too far from me too so I may have to look into this.

As silly as buying PC games on retail discs is at this day and age, I'm actually considering doing just that for the PC version of Witcher 3, since I'd be paying $48 before tax and an extra $10 certificate if I preorder it that way.

The only downside is no native Steam integration, but oh well. It's not like I'm one of those "Steam or bust" PC people.

Rootbeer

Banned
I signed up for GCU yesterday and bought Splatoon and Witcher 3 for PS4. With those two games alone, I've already almost paid for the $30 membership.

I have questions!

I see bestbuy.com offers free release date delivery on a lot of pre-order games. I'm thinking about pre-ordering some upcoming stuff. But I heard that they like to charge your CC before it ships... can anyone provide some advice on a good strategy on getting new games secured but not having tons of charges (pre-auth or otherwise) on my card before they even ship them? Do they really preauth my card (I know Target does this a lot), amazon doesn't do this that I've noticed which is something I like about them

Also... it's been 24 hours since I signed up and bought my two games... but the points do not appear on my account yet. Is there some trick to getting the points (the sign up page says you get "2x points on new games", do I have to use a best buy CC or what?)

and does the $10 thing on pre-order games mean ALL pre-order games? Or only select ones? I noticed on the check-out page on the site it doesn't say I'm getting any $10 voucher for the games i'm looking to order

TomShoe

Banned
I signed up for GCU yesterday and bought Splatoon and Witcher 3 for PS4. With those two games alone, I've already almost paid for the $30 membership.

I have questions!

I see bestbuy.com offers free release date delivery on a lot of pre-order games. I'm thinking about pre-ordering some upcoming stuff. But I heard that they like to charge your CC before it ships... can anyone provide some advice on a good strategy on getting new games secured but not having tons of charges (pre-auth or otherwise) on my card before they even ship them? Do they really preauth my card (I know Target does this a lot), amazon doesn't do this that I've noticed which is something I like about them

Also... it's been 24 hours since I signed up and bought my two games... but the points do not appear on my account yet. Is there some trick to getting the points (the sign up page says you get "2x points on new games", do I have to use a best buy CC or what?)

and does the $10 thing on pre-order games mean ALL pre-order games? Or only select ones? I noticed on the check-out page on the site it doesn't say I'm getting any $10 voucher for the games i'm looking to order

- Best Buy does have free release day delivery on most games, and they do charge your card in full for any pre-order. I don't think there's much one can do as far as getting around it aside from pre-ordering close to the release date, or doing it in-store, which only requires $5 down.

- Most BB points usually take ~15 days before the points show up. They do this on purpose so people don't buy and return stuff the get the points, since the return period on most games is 14 days. I bought CoD: AW and the points didn't show up until ~2 weeks later.

- Here's the list of titles that give out $10 certs. The list updates every few months or so.

Rootbeer

Banned
- Best Buy does have free release day delivery on most games, and they do charge your card in full for any pre-order. I don't think there's much one can do as far as getting around it aside from pre-ordering close to the release date, or doing it in-store, which only requires $5 down.

- Most BB points usually take ~15 days before the points show up. They do this on purpose so people don't buy and return stuff the get the points, since the return period on most games is 14 days. I bought CoD: AW and the points didn't show up until ~2 weeks later.

- Here's the list of titles that give out $10 certs. The list updates every few months or so.
Thanks, huge help!

Well, guess I have to be a bit more micro managing about what I order. I'm used to just blindly pre-ordering anything I might want on amazon even years in advance, then cancelling/adjusting over time as I receive more information.

I'll probably still heavily use amazon simply to secure items. Using Best Buy when possible closer to release date and on items that are not going to be selling out quickly, and amazon as a primary backup.

Fat4all

Banned
Thanks, huge help!

Well, guess I have to be a bit more micro managing about what I order. I'm used to just blindly pre-ordering anything I might want on amazon even years in advance, then cancelling/adjusting over time as I receive more information.

I'll probably still heavily use amazon simply to secure items. Using Best Buy when possible, and amazon as a primary backup.

The way I do it is like this:

"Oh, The Witcher 3 just came out! I had it preordered through Best Buy with GCU, so I only paid $48, and they also gave me a $10 credit! What's next...

I want Batman. If I order it now, I can get it for $48. Plus, I can apply that $10 credit, so I'm only paying $38! Not only that, but Batman will give me another $10 after I get it! What's next..."

Then just rinse and repeat through the year. You are paying in full online, but if you plan it well, you'll save a bunch of money.

Best Buy has done this "$10 credit for getting a game" thing before, but stacked with GCU it's become friggin' awesome.

Rootbeer

Banned
The way I do it is like this:

"Oh, The Witcher 3 just came out! I had it preordered through Best Buy with GCU, so I only paid $48, and they also gave me a $10 credit! What's next...

I want Batman. If I order it now, I can get it for $48. Plus, I can apply that $10 credit, so I'm only paying $38! Not only that, but Batman will give me another $10 after I get it! What's next..."

Then just rinse and repeat through the year. You are paying in full online, but if you plan it well, you'll save a bunch of money.

Best Buy has done this "$10 credit for getting a game" thing before, but stacked with GCU it's become friggin' awesome.
Sounds solid. Do you have to wait 15 days to get the $10 same as the points? I'm not even sure what the points do, I assume you can trade them for more credit.

fenners

Sounds solid. Do you have to wait 15 days to get the $10 same as the points? I'm not even sure what the points do, I assume you can trade them for more credit.

Yes, you typically have to wait. 250 points gets you a $5 'reward certificate' that's basically a $5 off voucher. 500 gets you $10, etc.

Fat4all

Banned

Yeah, it seems like 2 weeks after a game comes out, you get the promotional $10 applied to your account.

Points in general work like this: You get 1 point for every dollar you spend in-store or online. Once it reaches 250 points, it automatically removes those 250 points and applies $5 to your account.

It even applies to games you buy. If you buy a game that gives you a $10 reward, you also get 48 points applied to your account for buying the game at $48.

EDIT: One more thing, when you have reward money, say $5 or $10, you can use them on whatever you want. When you go to checkout on Best Buy, there is a drop down called "Promotional Codes & Rewards", and you will find your certificates there. You don't have to use them on your next order, you can save them.

Rootbeer

Banned
Very nice.

Dang, Best Buy is really trying to win the gamer's dollar with this program.

Wish I'd started using it sooner.

Very nice.

Dang, Best Buy is really trying to win the gamer's dollar with this program.

Wish I'd started using it sooner.

One thing I would recommend, in your account options, change it to auto issue certificates at $20, not $5. Those certificates do expire after a certain period of time, and it would suck to lose one just because there were no games released that you wanted for a couple months. You can always go into your account and manually issue $5 or $10 certificates if you have enough points and want to buy something.

Also, if you are interested/able, the Best Buy store credit card makes it even better. You get another 1.5 points per dollar spent, on top of the base 1 per dollar and the extra 1 per dollar from GCU, so you get 3.5 points per dollar spent on games, which is the equivalent of 7% back. Tough to find another credit card that can match those rewards, in my experience.

GCU reward cert and returning games after you beat them ~2 weeks is like a crime.

I barely spend any money on games anymore but I'm playing everything.

netguy503

GCU reward cert and returning games after you beat them ~2 weeks is like a crime.

I barely spend any money on games anymore but I'm playing everything.

With reward certs I'm getting Lego Jurassic World and Batman for free on launch day and getting another free $10 for Batman. I will then return Lego Jurassic World and get probably a 50 dollar trade (and that's a 100 points toward a 250 point free $5) that I will use to get Metal Gear Solid PS4 for free with another $10. I also think after I trade in Lego Jurassic World I will have enough points for a free $5 as well (I'm at 180 right now). I have $40 in certs on my account now so once I get the $10 from the free Batman purchase I'll be able to get Until Dawn for free in August as well on launch day. With Best Buy Gamer's club I don't even have to think about buying a game until October and this is only my second year of the program and I'm a member until 2022.

Anyone who loves games, has a Best Buy near them, and doesn't have this is insane.

netguy503

You mean trading them back in, right? You can't return opened games plus you would forfeit reward points.

Alot of games don't have reward points attached to them like Jurassic World so once I hurry and beat that you know I'm going to return that for $50 credit and another free game.

Alot of games don't have reward points attached to them like Jurassic World so once I hurry and beat that you know I'm going to return that for $50 credit and another free game.

If you're talking about actual "I have my receipt, give me my money back" returns you're going to get burned. Best Buy keeps track of returns...they can and will ban you from returns and revoke your GCU/rewards account if you abuse the return policy.

I don't see how that's even possible with opened games though, unless you lie and claim it doesn't work.

Top Bottom