• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Gamers Hub] Luftrausers - Mind-Bogglingly Addictive

Oshimai

Gamers Hub Luftrausers Gamescom Preview

http://thegamershub.net/2013/08/luftrausers-preview/

There’s only a handful of games out there that manage to imbue me with the power of feeling like an utter badass and, after this year’s Gamescom I feel that I may well be adding another title to that legendary roster soon: Luftrausers. Created by the genius minds over at Vlambeer – who were behind the likes of Super Crate Box, Ridiculous Fishing, and the newly announced PS4 title Wasteland Kings - is just so mind-bogglingly addictive that you’ll have trouble realising how you got by without it.

Those may sound like strong words of endorsement, but since returning from Cologne I’ve been hankerin’ for some more Rausing that I’ve gone on to play the original flash game every day in half-hour stints. I just love it. I love the varying shades of brown that’s used to make up the surprisingly stunning visuals, I love the action that just piles on out of almost nowhere, I love the utter absurdity of the tasks challenged to you, I love its brilliant simplicity and I absolutely love the potential the final release promises.

In the PC build I got my hands on, there was only one level and a smattering of interchangeable crafts to make use of. But in the final release there promises to be 125 craft combinations and over 100 missions to complete. It’s also going to end up on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita, alongside PC, Mac and Linux, so you don’t really have an excuse to pass this up when it eventually releases.

So, what makes it just so unfathomably good? Well, everything about it makes you feel empowered. Once you’ve chosen your ideal load out form the available craft parts – as each one has a different trait with strengths and weaknesses – it’s time to launch. If your interested, I opted for a heavy-body with extra health, a no-gravity engine, and I switched between a laser beam, burst-fire cannon and homing missiles. Once launched your ship rockets up into the air and it’s then time to ‘Raus’. It’s blissfully simple to fly, aim and shoot at targets and explosions and debris fill the skies as you take down your opponents. The better you do the more enemies are piled upon you and eventually you’ll be going up against huge battle cruisers that paint the sky with their bullets, or a zeppelin that enshrouds the sky, it could even be a submarine that sneaks up from the deep.

All of this incredible action is completed by an astounding soundtrack comprised of excellent chip-tune tracks composed by Jukio Kallio - A.K.A. Kozilek – who also did the score for the original Luftrauser. However, this time around it’s not just one track, it’s hundreds as there’s a track for every single ship combination – each track made up from the combination of your chosen parts. It’s just sublime and needs to be played loud, it just draws you into the shooting, pushes you to a higher plane of thought as you just let your fingers do the thinking for you.

I know this is horribly gushing, but there’s no real way to convey just how addictive, enjoyable and irresistible Luftrausers is. You just have to play it to know how right it is. Seeing as it’s missed its spring 2013 release, there’s clearly plenty of time for even more improvements and refinements to make this utter gaming perfection. But we’ll reserve full judgement for that until release.

Gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfu6ztlHKxk

Luftrausers-Animated-4.gif

Luftrausers-Animated-3.gif

Luftrausers-Animated-1.gif

Rami and Jan messing around with the game:

http://www.vlambeer.com/2012/08/07/why-we-design-games-playing-with-luftrausers/

"The CANNON CANNON took us 5 seconds to create."
IMAGE3.gif

"What would happen if instead of debris, the cannon exploded into homing missiles?"
IMAGE4.gif

"What if homing missiles dropped bombs and fired lasers?"
IMAGE5b.gif

"And now back to that cannon that exploded into homing missiles, but with these new bomb-dropping laser firing missiles?"
image6b.gif

"...take a look at this homing spread machinegun with bomb dropping missiles."
image7b.gif

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I'm also looking forward to this game a lot. I played Super Crate Box a lot for the highscore stuff.

Twinduct

AND THEN THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!

Looks awesome! Never got into the PC version, so looking forward to trying with dual-joys.

There should be a Vita GIF thread! Tons of stuff from Tearaway and Killzone Mercenary!

That PS4 one completely killed my internet for like 30 mins. We honestly need some WebP up in yur!

Missed its "Spring 2013" release date? Hah. Try "its Summer 2013" release date. Updates from Vlambeer show that there are still some "must-fix" bugs to iron out before launch, but it ought to be coming soon.. ish.. I hope. God I want to play this fucking game on TV already. Love Vlambeer.

I understand what they're going for with the color scheme but I'm not sure I like it. Other than that though looks great.

EDIT: Steam for me.

Oshimai

There's a vid of a fun talk they gave at Rezzed this year where they showed some of the early Luftrauser builds. Really kinda cool. LR bit starts around 31:15.

Video: http://youtu.be/oUrFjXUuSh8?t=31m13s

Yea I saw this earlier. It was interesting to see them go through each of their game builds to see how the development of the game progressed.

This is why indies are often so good. Pure, addictive gameplay. The Vita is perfectly suited for them.

Agreed, these kinds of games are perfect for commutes.

Top Bottom