• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

games are just not very fun anymore

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
There are more great games to play than ever before. I can't understand the thinking in the OP at all.

Modern AAA feels more like a chore than ever before. I do think you have a point. Even though I enjoy modern gaming, I am also pickier than ever before. I purchase fewer new games even though I've never had more disposable income than I do now.

Modern games have forgotten what simplicity is. Yeah, you can cram more enemies on the screen and give bigger open-world maps and include 10,000 hours of voiced dialogue, but is the moment-to-moment loop any more enjoyable? Often it is not.

A great game is often great because of the b.s. it omits and the time-wasting it cuts out. A long checklist of features doesn't guarantee that it'll be fun. I appreciate a crafted, focused experience.

joe_zazen

Just imagine how much better games could be (gameplay or more content or more money spent towards polish and Q&A) if devs chopped out the money spent on CGI, cut scenes, professional actors gabbing at each other for hours.

no doubt. so much time and money spent trying to get players emotionally involved in some giant aaa games when most people just want to have fun. That is why the biggest games are 99% gameplay (minecraft, gtao, fortnite, etc).

I think that is why Layden was fired: Sony has too many super expensive 10-20 hour story games that dont keep players engaged or subbing to psnow/plus.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nothing has changed for me, I'm still enjoying games as much as when I was younger and I think thats mostly to do with me mostly playing Japanese games. I still play western games and enjoying them but its becoming less and less with each year.

Phase

Nothing has changed for me, I'm still enjoying games as much as when I was younger and I think thats mostly to do with me mostly playing Japanese games. I still play western games and enjoying them but its becoming less and less with each year.
What are some Japanese games you've really enjoyed?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
What are some Japanese games you've really enjoyed?
SMT/Persona series (including PQ games and Tokyo Mirage Session)
Catherine
Gravity Rush 1&2
Drakengard/NieR series
.hack series
Dragon Quest 3, 5, 8 and 11
Bloodborne
Sekiro
Kingdom Heats series
Most PlatinumGames like Bayonetta 1&2, Astral Chain and Wonderful 101
God Hand
Resident Evil 2, 4 and Code Veronica
Xenoblade 1&2
Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 4
Fire Emblem series
The Legend of Zelda series
3D Mario games
Tales of Vesperia, Symphonia, Xillia 1&2 and Tales Graces F
Atelier Ryza
Team ICO games
Silent Hill 2&3
Siren Blood Currse
Folklore
Pandora's Tower
Ni no Kuni 1&2
Octopath Traveler

This just top my head, there are many more.

Phase

SMT/Persona series (including PQ games and Tokyo Mirage Session)
Catherine
Gravity Rush 1&2
Drakengard/NieR series
.hack series
Dragon Quest 3, 5, 8 and 11
Bloodborne
Sekiro
Kingdom Heats series
Most PlatinumGames like Bayonetta 1&2, Astral Chain and Wonderful 101
God Hand
Resident Evil 2, 4 and Code Veronica
Xenoblade 1&2
Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 4
Fire Emblem series
The Legend of Zelda series
3D Mario games
Tales of Vesperia, Symphonia, Xillia 1&2 and Tales Graces F
Atelier Ryza
Team ICO games
Silent Hill 2&3
Siren Blood Currse
Folklore
Pandora's Tower
Ni no Kuni 1&2
Octopath Traveler

This just top my head, there are many more.
I've played a lot of these, but still quite a few I haven't. Thanks!

Punished Miku

Gold Member
and no, this isn't on me. I still enjoy games I played when games were fun. every game now wants you to work to get anything out of it. everything has slow super realistic cinematic motion, the controls for almost every big game feel sluggish and awful, Fallen Order looks like uncharted its basically "how can we make this game look like a movie" everything is so grounded gameplay wise, like the range of things you can do in most games is highly limited, all you can do pretty much is run from point A to point B in some pattern and then usually the main gameplay mechanic of most games now is cover shooting. or walking

Like I remember when you know games were designed to be fun. as games. the story was there to tie it all up, but now it seems like the only reason you'd play a game is to go from point A to point B to get some story information like a cutscene or whatever else. its like what. and yeah I know indie games aren't like that, but am speaking about big budget games. I can't find any indie games that are big budget games from a decade or so ago. they are either 2D or very simplistic 3D.

literally more work goes into every part of the game nowdays except the gameplay? how many people do you think they hired to come up with death stranding gameplay?. what does it come down to. some shooting and walking around?. like what in the shit. Imagine if every big hollywood movie was like gravity? thats basically most of the game industry to me. most games are Gravity, the game.
Sounds like you need to play some Nintendo games. Being 100% serious.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
As you get older and you have to work more and spend more energy in other areas of life it can be hard to have a nice sit down and relax and get in the mood to do some quality gaming. no one wants to game when they're tired or hungry or got other things they have to worry about. really u can get this time u need to enjoy games is when u take a vacation. it can be hard to even get in that flow u need on the weekends when u only have like 2 days off if u work during the week. my best gaming and the most fun I had with gaming were those long 2 month summer breaks from school growing up when I had no other commitments and could play games all day every day.

petran79

Banned
One reason I preferred FMV games. At least they admitted to be movies with all those cutscenes, QuickTime events and shitty gameplay and did not fry the system.

yodine53

This medium has an incredible range of possibilities to create things and it would be a lost opportunity if all these creations were the same, like OP is saying. The "old times" some mentioned is exactly the same lost opportunity, because videogames can transmit more things than "just fun".

Sybb

Banned
I think this has to do with several things:

- People in the past mostly played for challenge. Because that's all games were in the past. Simple, short and sometimes brutally difficult games. It was all about the gameplay, because that was the only thing developers could do back then.

- When technology advanced, story driven games became possible. I think a lot of people who would never touch an 80s game suddenly became interested in videogames because of storytelling. A lot of people don't want challenging games, they just want an experience.

- People may only like one aspect of a game. I know a few people who bought Resident Evil 5 only for The Mercenaries, and ignored the main game.

So when old school gamers see that there are a lot of story driven games today, they tend to say things like "games were better in the past" or "that's not even a real game, it's an interactive movie". I think you have to be open minded to the fact that people have very different tastes. Maybe a dad likes Super Mario Odyssey because he can play with his son, not because the game has greatly designed levels.

As long as there are games for everyone, I don't think people should complain. If we get to a situation where certain kinds of games stop existing, then we have a problem. But right now, there's something for every taste out there, which is a result of the vastly expanded videogame market compared to the 80s.

Airbus Jr

Banned
images

Bkdk

Kind of agree, I spent 60-70% of my time playing games come out at least a few years ago. Until AI and physics really show significant improvement I guess I won’t be buying many new games. On the other hand, I spend a lot less in recent years for gaming though, so a little bit more money saved can’t be a bad thing, once those technology shows significant advancement I’ll be spending loads on Both hardware and games again. All I plan to do now I upgrade my pc in 2021 and wait till ps6 gen.

Also found myself watching many more walkthroughs for newer games, able to skip many boring repetitive and super linear gameplay actually make me enjoy the game far more.

Last edited:

Mexen

So many games to choose from. Pick what you like. It's that simple. I'm sorry to simplify the solution but that's the truth.
Play what you find fun.

-Arcadia-

Banned
no doubt. so much time and money spent trying to get players emotionally involved in some giant aaa games when most people just want to have fun. That is why the biggest games are 99% gameplay (minecraft, gtao, fortnite, etc).

Extremely underrated point. Games that focus on fun, addictive, pure gameplay, tend to win big. Even games like CoD are most loved for their multiplayer component, which is all gameplay.

Livia

You are getting older, thats why. I only buy games I know I will like, and not too long games that lasts forever. 15-20 hours is perfect

Kadayi

Banned
Take a break from gaming for a bit OP. Gaming is a demanding hobby mentally and it's all too easy to get caught up with this idea that because it's what you've traditionally done to unwind that it doesn't come with its own issues. I get burnt out on gaming every so often, and I've gotten into the habit of generally taking a break in between games, especially big ones to just decompress for a bit before picking up a controller/M&K again. Last game I completed was Disco Elysium and that was more than a week ago. Since then I've watched a little Death Stranding Footage or just caught up with a bunch of TV series that have come out. I'm probably going to get back into something over the weekend from the backlog on Sunday I feel, but it's not the end of the world if that doesn't happen. Earlier in the year I was feeling burnt out and didn't play anything for a couple of months. Let your mojo recharge.

Hinedorf

Banned
Anything FPS with ranged weaponry. I gave up all Online FPS games for years until I found Mordhau. If not for Mordhau which I play in third person I would call all online FPS games outdated garbage.

Life

It’s just you.

Games are better than ever, minus the monetisation aspects in many.

They are better - but they're more similar to older games than they are better. The good games are the ones that replicate older games and are well polished. They're given praise for this and usually get 8 or 9 out of 10.

Can you imagine playing the "same" games for 20 years +?

Watch out guys... only Nintendo makes fun games...

for me to poop on

one good Zelda game every 25 years and it’s like we should ignore all the typical cookie cutter rehashes they make. Give me a break
ALTTP was the last good Zelda game? OoT is my favorite, and Majora's Mask, TWW, and Twilight Princess also exist.

Nintendo makes the most fun games. Not because they focus primarily on gameplay, that's just one reason.

VertigoOA

Banned
Nor is there any kind of tangible metric.

of course the age of video game discovery as a child is great. It was fucking mind blowing at times... but you know what? I keep finding new and different experiences that blow my mind again. Just not from the same places...

ALTTP was the last good Zelda game? OoT is my favorite, and Majora's Mask, TWW, and Twilight Princess also exist.

Nintendo makes the most fun games. Not because they focus primarily on gameplay, that's just one reason.

Majora’s Mask -> Botw.

Nintendo does NOT make the most fun games. That’s just fanboy drivel.

Last edited:

ROMhack

I think the problem is there's too many games without any of them being unique.. which is not really a bad thing except the tension it creates in thinking you must play them. The money involved in the industry now - in addition to media spunking - has created this loop of apparent masterpieces when gaming is still only something that should be part of your overall hobbies.

A few years ago, I had a thought that there's only 2 or 3 good games released each year. The rest are ignorable unless you're in the mood for something specific (e.g. a puzzle game or RPG).

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I like games in the vein of Broken sword, monkey island et all and RTS games.

Both are almost none existant on consoles, so I'm with you OP
You should get a pc (doesn’t even need to be a particularly powerful one either for those).

Nor is there any kind of tangible metric.

of course the age of video game discovery as a child is great. It was fucking mind blowing at times... but you know what? I keep finding new and different experiences that blow my mind again. Just not from the same places...

Majora’s Mask -> Botw.

Nintendo does NOT make the most fun games. That’s just fanboy drivel.
No, it's because games back then were simply better. Period. No corporate greed that's near the magnitude of today's standard MTX garbage, no GAAS, etc. Saying Nintendo's games are more fun isn't even "fAnBoY dRiVeL", it actually has truth to it. The more whimsical the games the more charming and fun they are, and they don't even need voice acting, they make their games speak for themselves. They're all basic stories without dumb set pieces or realistic mechanics, they just put you in a game and have you running around jumping on platforms, managing a town, or catching little monsters inside a ball. Sure Nintendo's my favorite company because to me they make the best games, but fanboyism? Don't be disingenuous.

Majora's Mask > Breath of the Wild.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Movies right now are shit. Games aren’t far off.

You can make an accurate generalization about trends in a medium. There’ll always be exceptions, but it makes sense for a medium to be represented by the bulk of its product in that timeframe.

Aside from Death Stranding, which I like, I feel much the same as OP. Game design and craftsmanship have fell off a cliff this generation.

There are certainly eras of high and low quality. Consider the 70s for film for instance, pure unadulterated quality dripping from so many extraordinary movies, in part due to some of the all time greats being there at the peak of their powers, and no doubt in part a product of limitations (I firmly believe that limitation breeds creativity as people push against that limitation) of tech at the time. Now too many films are CGI demos, then you have the design by committee to appease the Chinese and the woke. The good news is the old movies are still there and easily accessible, so five in and have fun. And in the meantime, keep an eye out in case an awesome film comes along (eg Joker, 3 billboards).

Music is also in a rut right now, as proved by the success of Ed Sheeran who honestly belongs on radio 2. Same rules apply here too.

Games, at least at AAA level, are awful. Designed around micro transactions, games as a service, glueing your eyeballs to the screen to get a bigger share of the game pass pie, trapped like a rat in a cage on antibiotics. But unlike film, there’s a wealth of good shit out there. Kingdom Come Deliverance and Disco Elysium for instance are the greatest games I’ve played and both came out relatively recently. If you want silly fun there’s Yakuza (which is brilliant btw). There’s a world of awesome adventure games being made by small teams. There’s loads of good stuff out there.
Finally, don’t discount your backlog. There’ll be a tonne of good stuff in there. I’ve been playing exclusively backlog games (apart from breaking the rules for Disco Elysium because it’s amazing) and I’ve had an absolute blast this year, thanks for the thread and the inspiration DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi , honestly I was getting tired of games but slowing down and looking at all the great games I bounced off in the past has given games a new lease of life for me.

Btw to the people who hate books - go read To Kill A Mockingbird. You’ll change your mind.

NeilH1982

Banned
You must be plaing the wrong games there, pal. Been gaming since the early 80's and I'm having some of the most fun experiences ever right now....

brian0057

Banned
I hear you. I can count with one hand the number of games I enjoy each year.
That's why recently I've been playing a lot of older titles like the Resident Evil remake, Daggerfall, the Thief trilogy, Deus Ex, and others.

As the “video games are art” movement has gained traction in developer and fan circles,
Video games are not art.

DESTROYA

Here we go it’s the weekly complaint from SlashBringingHasher SlashBringingHasher , I knew the thread was yours just by looking at the title.
There are so many games today then ever before, find what you like and play those instead of lumping em all together.
And yes this is all you.

Last edited:

junguler

Banned
fun games are still being made, just not by big AAA developers/publishers. you just have to work for it to get to them, there is alot of indie and AA games out there worth playing and i'll bet you haven't played all the good games from previous generations either.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Many games are like that, op, but that's not true in general. Super Mario Odyssey, Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair, Team Sonic Racing, Ori and the Blind Forrest, Cuphead, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Sonic Mania, Luigi's Mansion 3, Yoshi's Crafted World, Super Mario Maker 2 are just some recent non-Indie examples I have played that I can attest to not being like you said at all.

jonnyp

and no, this isn't on me. I still enjoy games I played when games were fun. every game now wants you to work to get anything out of it. everything has slow super realistic cinematic motion, the controls for almost every big game feel sluggish and awful, Fallen Order looks like uncharted its basically "how can we make this game look like a movie" everything is so grounded gameplay wise, like the range of things you can do in most games is highly limited, all you can do pretty much is run from point A to point B in some pattern and then usually the main gameplay mechanic of most games now is cover shooting. or walking

Like I remember when you know games were designed to be fun. as games. the story was there to tie it all up, but now it seems like the only reason you'd play a game is to go from point A to point B to get some story information like a cutscene or whatever else. its like what. and yeah I know indie games aren't like that, but am speaking about big budget games. I can't find any indie games that are big budget games from a decade or so ago. they are either 2D or very simplistic 3D.

literally more work goes into every part of the game nowdays except the gameplay? how many people do you think they hired to come up with death stranding gameplay?. what does it come down to. some shooting and walking around?. like what in the shit. Imagine if every big hollywood movie was like gravity? thats basically most of the game industry to me. most games are Gravity, the game.

Games are still fun, your threads however....

Top Bottom