• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games everyone hated but you?

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
We all dislike at least a few of the gaming industry's biggest hits. No matter how wide the appeal, no title can appeal to everyone. But how about those titles that appealed so little to the masses, and received such vitriol from seemingly everyone but you? What are the most commonly hated releases that you perhaps strongly adored, or at least thought weren't so bad?

Assassin's Creed Unity and Middle-earth: Shadow of War are two titles which still get a bad rap for their horrific launches, one being buggy, the other loaded with microtransactions. But post-patch, one of them was among the most polished and feature-filled releases in the AC series, and the other completely rebalanced and microtransaction-free. Love both of these games. Criminally underrated. But perhaps not too overly despised anymore. Not like...

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. It's nothing amazing, but this Mass Effect-inspired AA release isn't so bad. It's a comfy little ride, with a very exciting twist. Perhaps now that the XCOM series has course-corrected, fans will have an easier time enjoying this slight betrayal of the franchise.

Just a small list but may continue later.

BigBooper

I don't know if it was even well known enough to qualify, but I really liked E.Y.E. Divine Cybromancy. A cyberpunk sandbox with terrible AI, poor UI, and not much of a point. I ended up playing it quite a bit though.

Banned
crackdown-3-pc-xbox-one-cover.jpg
s-l300.jpg
R.07726209ac208a876df1ebedc713e7c7
OIP.CuCL24N89Y9G1NPx5MhbvAAAAA
ZombiU_Box_Art_(Final).jpg

btw, while googling an image for Chaos Legion... I found what the US cover looked like and how fucking god damn ugly it is... jesus

edit: added ZombiU

Last edited:

catvonpee

It seems like everyone hates TLOU2. But I think the game is so awesome.

There were so many memorable sequences in the game and parts of the game were really scary. I loved the gore and the brutality of the game. It was like a twisted horror movie plot that filled with a sense of dread.

I especially loved playing the game with slow motion aiming since of became a lot like a Max Payne or Bethesda Fallout 3 game.

Even though I didn't like the flashback sequences in between chapters or the characters. The graphics, gameplay, setting, you name it more than made up for it.

I hope they make a new one for PS5 asap. I hope they write some actually lovable characters (like Arthur Morgan). It's kind of a drag to get into the story when you don't like who you are playing as.

Naked Lunch

Bionic Commando (2009 Reboot) - Everyone hated on the dredlock redesign and skipped it, but they missed one of the fastest, tightest controlling 3d action games ever made. With an amazing soundtrack to boot.

Lost Planet 2 - the campaign is basically a 4 player online coop 3d contra with insane quirky japanese mechs, weapons, and items all over the place with kaiju end level bosses. Everyone hated it at launch.
LP2's multiplayer's, roll, grapple, and shoot your grenade out of the air when its near an enemy was an artform. Even though the game is backwards compatible - you need to have a full room before you can start an online match - this will NEVER happen.

GametimeUK

It reviewed well, but I see a lot of hate aimed towards MGSV. I love that game so much. The open approach to tackle the stealth sandbox really resonated with me. I enjoy stealth gameplay and this game had the best gameplay of any MGS game in my opinion. Sure the story wasn't anything special and the characters had lost some of their charisma and star power, but ultimately the gameplay won me over.

I actually played New Super Mario Bros 2 on 3DS lately and really enjoyed it. I understand the formula was stale as we had NSMB, NSMB2 and NSMB Wii, but it was still fun to play.

Lastly I'm going with DmC (reboot). I thought it was fantastic. Once again I loved the gameplay even though it wasn't as deep as the originals. I had fun with the original games, but I didn't have thebsame connection to Dante as the fans so it wasn't hard for me to accept the change. Played it on PC too so that helps as it's much better than PS3 / 360 version.

(Edit) The real lastly... Resi 5 is great, it's just no Resi 4.

Last edited:
Torchlight 3 and the new Dark Alliance. Love' em.

Historically the only one i can recall right now is Dragon Age 2. IIRC people sharted on that one at the time.

Bound to be more....

edit, yep, Order 1886. Really enjoyed that game on release! How could I forget that one.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Red Faction 2. I thought it was a great action sequence with varied levels and gameplay, iconic guns, and good bot multiplayer on my GameCube. The graphics got better as your got further into the game, go figure

Ceadeus

Gold Member
This thread is better than the other thread and it's not even close.

Fallout 76

Final Fantasy 15
Fallout 76, what a good choice. I also liked it even at launch. Haters failed to see its potential and made so much noises.

Then, update after update and with solid dedication Bethesda ended up with a superb game very unic in its own genre.

The haters are now shutted down nowhere to be seen. HEY WHERE ARE YOU GUYS, INTERNET TROLLS ?

the office rage GIF

Last edited:

Banned
I like Star Wars the Force Unleashed, ZombiU, Assassin’s Creed 3, and Final Fantasy XIII.

oh totally forgot about ZombiU, but I also loved it. it's Zombi Dark Souls... and that's just a cool concept AND one of the few TRUE SURVIVAL HORROR games that came out in recent years.

people forget that survival horror used to mean that surviving is actually part of the gamedesign, and resource management was key as was not dying due to the fear of loss of progress

Last edited:

ISubZBR

I love resident 6
I like the story but screenplay isnt so good, and Jake Campaign sux to the death.... But the rest of the game is really fun especially if you switch the commands to the resident 4 scheme

MrMephistoX

I love resident 6
I like the story but screenplay isnt so good, and Jake Campaign sux to the death.... But the rest of the game is really fun especially if you switch the commands to the resident 4 scheme
In love it. 6 I get is trash but 5 I like more than 4 for the Co Op and absurdity of fighting Wesker in a god damn volcano alone.

For me I like the PS2 Shinobi:

JLB

Banned
We all dislike at least a few of the gaming industry's biggest hits. No matter how wide the appeal, no title can appeal to everyone. But how about those titles that appealed so little to the masses, and received such vitriol from seemingly everyone but you? What are the most commonly hated releases that you perhaps strongly adored, or at least thought weren't so bad?

Assassin's Creed Unity and Middle-earth: Shadow of War are two titles which still get a bad rap for their horrific launches, one being buggy, the other loaded with microtransactions. But post-patch, one of them was among the most polished and feature-filled releases in the AC series, and the other completely rebalanced and microtransaction-free. Love both of these games. Criminally underrated. But perhaps not too overly despised anymore. Not like...

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. It's nothing amazing, but this Mass Effect-inspired AA release isn't so bad. It's a comfy little ride, with a very exciting twist. Perhaps now that the XCOM series has course-corrected, fans will have an easier time enjoying this slight betrayal of the franchise.

With you OP on AC Unity. Best AC by far IMO.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I enjoyed Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness...

Also the DS Zeldas. Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.They're not hated per say, but in the realm of Zelda they're kind of lower rated.

dan76

The were a few Transformers games that made it onto the PS3 and 360, then the Wii got Cybertron Adventures, a kind of half onrails lightgun game. It looks like a cross between Tron and G1 Transformers with an arcade style scoring system. I still play it once a year or so.

CitizenZ

Banned
81IbsyIQyGL._SL1500_.jpg

Loved it.

fuck off GIF
I put in close to 100hrs a few months ago and its better than the first day reviews, as usual. BUT it has no where the depth to sustain, lack of enemy types, lack of combat encounters, etc. And the whole design of the aliens is absolute garbage x10. I mean I fcking cobra with human face? And just ditch the romance BS, it means NOTHING. Its saving aspect is the combat, sound and exploration. But hey, I guess hiring woke of talent showed its face once again.

Trogdor1123

I totally forgot about the Bureau... Is it on gamepass?

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Apparently Fallout 4, haha. Farharbor definitely pushed it in the positive direction. And everyone despised base building, whereas I lost hours into modding and building cool bases. I also uncovered a lot more detail and love when doing more detailed exploration in followup playthroughs. You can miss a lot of detail if you don't look.

Topher

Gold Member
I put in close to 100hrs a few months ago and its better than the first day reviews, as usual. BUT it has no where the depth to sustain, lack of enemy types, lack of combat encounters, etc. And the whole design of the aliens is absolute garbage x10. I mean I fcking cobra with human face? And just ditch the romance BS, it means NOTHING. Its saving aspect is the combat, sound and exploration. But hey, I guess hiring woke of talent showed its face once again.

fuck off GIF

lol...just kidding

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XV
Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus
Devil May Cry II
Devil May Cry: DmC
Silent Hill: Homecoming
Resident Evil 6
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (vocal minority)
Kingdom Hearts franchise (vocal minority)
Assassin's Creed: Unity
Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
Metroid: Other M
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns
Final Fantasy: Type-0

nivix

Neo Member
This seems to happen all the time.

Final Fantasy XV is the only Final Fantasy that kept me playing long enough to finish. I liked the summer road trip with the boys vibe. I couldn't stand the English voices though.

Crackdown 3 was fun. Best of the Crackdown games. Scratched that platforming itch after Sunset Overdrive and between Oris. Stay away from the driving.

Cyberpunk is the only game I've put in over 100 hours in the last year. Not a favorite or as enjoyable to me as the other two I mentioned, but it kept me interested.

Top Bottom