• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games everyone hated but you?

Devil's Third on WiiU. It was super fun, I thought it controlled well, fun gameplay that was varied, crazy atmosphere.... Kind of like an HD 6th gen game which might have been my favorite gen to be honest.

ksdixon

Yeah, I guess you're right. I know any time I talk about how much I liked the game usually leads to ridicule. I didn't mind Abby being big and buff, but her face looks a little off.
19J6xiI.jpg

So I guess there was this misguided outrage from people who didn't play the game thinking she was trans. It's kind of humourous to me, especially given the face that her face model is absolutely freaking gorgeous.
M7q5TyW.jpg

I didn't mind the actual trans kid in the game either. I thought he was a likable character. Actually the only one in the game I really liked besides Tommy.

Either way 10/10 Masterpiece of a game in my opinion. 🙂

seswmblxtd151.png

Abbey in the initial trailer was fine, somewhat believeable gains even. Then she got made super buff as fuck, to the point of complete overkill, and invited all the ''she's trans, right?'' drama. That didn't need to happen.

Dina's actress seems to be good looking in some pictures and not in others, that's not really the point, but the game version is not believeable as the ''it girl'' that everyone wants because for whatever reason, ND's own stated goal was to make female characters look uglier, like downsizing the boobs of Dina's actress for the in-game model.

kwsimxsjfo551.jpg

Don't mind me, I'm still salty over what they did to ''TLOU1 Flashback'' Ellie in TLOU2. They don't even look like the same person.
YmHYTOO.png

Gameplay is fire. Joel's death could have been forgiven if it was handled better and with more respect, as 'you killed my father' is a pretty standard revenge trope.

But the visual choices really undermined a lot of the game's positives, and just got added onto the 'don't like' pile, along with pacing issues, or being forced to play with abbey etc.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like half of the games in here aren't really hated, neither critically nor by fans.

AndrewRyan

I feel like Bioshock Infinite was hated by gamers, but I was completely blown away by it. The story and the setpieces were incredible.

Also, Tron 2.0 on PC. Not sure if people hated it, but I never see anyone talking about it so I'm putting it here.
This reminded me I never finished Tron 2.0. Was enjoying the atmosphere and one of the first non-DOS based PC games I played. Thanks, will definitely revisit it! Also agree Infinite plot is really cool and one of the my favorite opening pieces of any game.

catvonpee

seswmblxtd151.png

Abbey in the initial trailer was fine, somewhat believeable gains even. Then she got made super buff as fuck, to the point of complete overkill, and invited all the ''she's trans, right?'' drama. That didn't need to happen.
This stuff is all to pander to the audience in the comments here xD

IKSTUGA

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Metroid: Other M
Metroid: Samus Returns
The Last of Us Part 2
Cyberpunk 2077
DmC: Devil May Cry

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
We all dislike at least a few of the gaming industry's biggest hits. No matter how wide the appeal, no title can appeal to everyone. But how about those titles that appealed so little to the masses, and received such vitriol from seemingly everyone but you? What are the most commonly hated releases that you perhaps strongly adored, or at least thought weren't so bad?

Assassin's Creed Unity and Middle-earth: Shadow of War are two titles which still get a bad rap for their horrific launches, one being buggy, the other loaded with microtransactions. But post-patch, one of them was among the most polished and feature-filled releases in the AC series, and the other completely rebalanced and microtransaction-free. Love both of these games. Criminally underrated. But perhaps not too overly despised anymore. Not like...

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. It's nothing amazing, but this Mass Effect-inspired AA release isn't so bad. It's a comfy little ride, with a very exciting twist. Perhaps now that the XCOM series has course-corrected, fans will have an easier time enjoying this slight betrayal of the franchise.

Just a small list but may continue later.
Centauri Alliance.

I'll add :

Legend of Mana

Muppet Race Mania

Tsugunai Atonement

Majin & The Forsaken Kingdom

Puppeteer

Jaker Hunter - Detective Stories

Trace Memory (so much that I modded my Wii and imported the EU only sequel)

Odama

Lost in Shadow

Muramasa

Maken X/Shao

428 Shibuya Scramble

Forgotten Anne

Deponia (series)

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
at this point you could change the title of this thread to "games that are underlooked" as most games getting mentioned aren't hated.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
at this point you could change the title of this thread to "games that are underlooked" as most games getting mentioned aren't hated.
I guess it makes sense, most commonly hated games are hated for good reason. But it's the original query that grasped so many people's interest, they just wanna participate, even if they have to stretch to find an answer :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:

Everything I hear about Kingdom Hearts Re:coded is negative, but I really liked that game. It deserves more love. I dunno how hated the game is though.

Top Bottom