• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games everyone hated but you?

ShinobiWan1

DC_ECCO_THE_DOLPHIN_DEFENDER_OF.jpg

(...)

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. It's nothing amazing, but this Mass Effect-inspired AA release isn't so bad. It's a comfy little ride, with a very exciting twist. Perhaps now that the XCOM series has course-corrected, fans will have an easier time enjoying this slight betrayal of the franchise.

Just a small list but may continue later.

I actually played it recently. Its not bad at all. I can imagine its only "crime" is that it had the nerve to include XCOM in its title. Thus it was shun by the hardcore XCOM fans. It has little in common with the gameplay in the mainline XCOM games, but as a spin-off it was completely fine. Btw, it probably wasn't an AA release at the time. The project probably went through many reboots.

On topic: Personally, this one:

1031.jpg

Its a good, if not really good, game if you give it an actual legitimate chance. Its very unique and actually has some skill-based depth. The undeserved reputation and hate stems from critics that did a poor job of assessing it and falsely spreading a lot of misconceptions about it.

Another one would be Damnation:

damnation-jeu-console-ps3.jpg

Another recent play. If you can look beyond its somewhat low production values, in terms of cinematics, then its actually quite fun. The semi-inspired steampunk setting is pretty neat too. I'd even argue it has more gameplay in its little finger compared to most games today. None of that waypoint indicator bullshit that seems to plague many games now either. You have to figure out how to traverse the levels on your own.

There's even local splitscreen co-op too.

Last edited:
Don't know that folks hated it when it released, but I know it gets shat upon regularly now.
61JePlRHTzL._AC_.jpg

It's literally my favorite in the series. I just loved (and still do) controlling link with the stylus. Played the hell out of it.
This is still the only Zelda game I couldn't bear to finish. It was mostly fine, and the stylus controls worked well, but it was still mostly... forgettable. I honestly can't remember a single boss, a single piece of music, nothing. The ocean "overworld" was totally empty, and whoever green-lit the Temple of the Ocean King should get fired.

Now, Spirit Tracks gets way too much flak. It did basically everything better than PH, but got much lower scores across the board because it kept the stylus (much more reactive than in PH in my experience, too) instead of using more traditional controls; the overworld, while being literally on rails, has a lot more stuff to do and places to discover, and the soundtrack is one of the best in the series.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
LoZ: Skyward Sword is my favorite Zelda game.
There are two of us! Two!
I freaking adore Starfox Zero and it's my favorite Starfox game and possibly a top 10 game of last gen for me.
Forgot about that one in my list. Star Fox Zero really is great. I like it as much as Lylat Wars / Star Fox 64, so it is a tie for me when it comes to best Star Fox.

yansolo

i feel like a lot of people disliked ac odyssey but i personally loved it, couldve been better i admit. probably the last ubisoft game ill play for a while

wvnative

Star Fox Assault is great fun, it's like a downscaled Battlefield on gamecube.

Final Fantasy XIII, not my favorite or anything, but story and combat are why I like these games, so the "hallway" criticism was a plus for me, besides, FF was always linear, this game just dropped the charade. Sure the story wasn't great, but the fun combat and stunning presentation always provide a fun time for me.

Ratchet: Deadlocked was hated back in the day, but this game rocks with the best combat in the series and insomniac NAILED the gladiator gameshow vibe, plus I like darker tone's in games, and this game nails the darker story WITHOUT losing the essence of the series. Plus it's a technical showpiece of the PS2 with the absolute insane amount of explosions on screen with minimal frame drops.

Last edited:

wvnative

The sequel was even more hated than the original... yet I thought it was even better!

64255-true-crime-new-york-city-xbox-front-cover.jpg

I really liked this game...

...Until I got to a mission in the back half of the game where a QTE is seemingly permanently bugged on the Xbox version making it kind of unbeatable? Some people say it will work upon repeated tries but there was only so many times I could try because death = restart entire mission and, I believe this is either the end, or right near the end of the mission, and it's a long mission where you slowly climb warehouse crates.

Most people suggested using a level select cheat code to skip the mission but, I never got that to work either.

The QTE in question is mash A super fast (I think it was A anyway) so I thought a turbo would work, that didn't work either. So I gave up...

Sucks too, because I actually was genuinely loving it until this stopped me in my tracks.

Of course Activision even back then released a permanently bugged game and to my knowledge didn't even release fixed re-prints like most devs did back then when something like this happened

Kuranghi

I really liked Just Cause 4 once I accepted that they weren't going forward with a lot of the things I liked about 3, the game also looked like a fucking mess at even 1440p due to the amount of aliasing/detail in the foliage, so I understand why people thought it looked horrible as hell (Some of the models were just trash compared to 3 though, that wasn't fixable).

The story missions were fucking so stupid and the dialogue was somehow even worse than the lower points of JC3 but its kind of endearing in a way, like enjoying a bad movie. When it tried to be serious though... hoooo-boy it was absolute arsecandle :messenger_tears_of_joy: and some of the main mission play areas were like brutalist-themed existential nightmares I had as a child.

Different parts of the world were especially beautiful at different times of day and I loved finding the "chairs" which let you change ToD. They obviously put a ton of work into making the island/s look amazing. Still can't believe they took out the open world enemy base destruction, but I just blew up my own bases anyway haha. Those white fuel tanks they added in 4 were so fun to blow up everytime I passed them.

Co-op would've made the open world challenges 10x as since they seemed like they were made for you to work with someone else but I think they scrapped it in development due to physics netcode issues.

kunonabi

Ah, Alone in the Dark, X360 version only, is another big one. Aside from the car sequences and BS doom tree nonsense I thought it was fantastic. Honestly, the latter wouldn't have even been an issue had they let you in on it way earlier.

Markio128

I have seen several games that I loved but didn't think they were hated by others. Just not as popular.
I guess every games has its haters, even the most critically acclaimed. TLOU2 took this to a whole new level. BOTW has its haters because the weapons break, or because it does not have dungeons. What I have learnt more than anything, is that a lot of people hate change.

nerdface

Banned
Everyone seems to hate the aiming in TS2, but that floaty aim where the gun moves before the screen moves, is what makes those games so good.

Goldeneye was good because of skill based aiming… combined with well designed mission objectives that get harder by difficulty. Perfect Dark and TS2 are the same brilliant formula… oh except TS2 has a console map editor for quick split screen play.

I don’t wish every FPS played this way. Far from it. The idea of playing doom:e with those controls is ridiculous… but I wish we still had one franchise that does.

TS:FP has the ‘tighter’ controls, and lacks those classic map objectives. It’s just another fps, except you can’t jump. I have to ask, if we got another TS… would it even matter?

TS2, while certainly acknowledged as an ok 7.0-8.0 scoring game, is a masterpiece in my eyes. The thought of playing it on dolphin with a mouse makes me want to vomit.

Last edited:
Ah, Alone in the Dark, X360 version only, is another big one. Aside from the car sequences and BS doom tree nonsense I thought it was fantastic. Honestly, the latter wouldn't have even been an issue had they let you in on it way earlier.

Alone in the dark on the PS3 and 360 honestly had some cool and inventive shit going for it. I really wouldn't have minded seeing a sequel to it.

Markio128

Resistance Fall of Man. I think it received a lot of hate because it was hyped by the media to be the Halo killer. Whilst this was never going to be the case, it was still a damn good shooter with a great atmosphere.

Ellery

It seems like everyone hates TLOU2. But I think the game is so awesome.

There were so many memorable sequences in the game and parts of the game were really scary. I loved the gore and the brutality of the game. It was like a twisted horror movie plot that filled with a sense of dread.

Nah not really. Most people love this game. It is the pinnacle of the PS4 generation and one of the greatest achievements in gaming to date. On a technical level nothing comes close to the wizardy that Naughty Dog achieved there.

There are some tiny minorities that are extremely loud when it comes to hating this game. Seemingly they have done nothing but complain about this game for 1 year straight and it mentally breaks them to see a game that features a girl with muscles become a bestseller and masterpiece.

Markio128

Nah not really. Most people love this game. It is the pinnacle of the PS4 generation and one of the greatest achievements in gaming to date. On a technical level nothing comes close to the wizardy that Naughty Dog achieved there.

There are some tiny minorities that are extremely loud when it comes to hating this game. Seemingly they have done nothing but complain about this game for 1 year straight and it mentally breaks them to see a game that features a girl with muscles become a bestseller and masterpiece.
I know if I was living through a zombie apocalypse, I’d rather be partnered with Abby than the fuckin Kardashians, that’s for damn sure.

catvonpee

Nah not really.
Yeah, I guess you're right. I know any time I talk about how much I liked the game usually leads to ridicule. I didn't mind Abby being big and buff, but her face looks a little off.
19J6xiI.jpg

So I guess there was this misguided outrage from people who didn't play the game thinking she was trans. It's kind of humourous to me, especially given the face that her face model is absolutely freaking gorgeous.
M7q5TyW.jpg

I didn't mind the actual trans kid in the game either. I thought he was a likable character. Actually the only one in the game I really liked besides Tommy.

Either way 10/10 Masterpiece of a game in my opinion. 🙂

intbal

I really liked this game...

...Until I got to a mission in the back half of the game where a QTE is seemingly permanently bugged on the Xbox version making it kind of unbeatable? Some people say it will work upon repeated tries but there was only so many times I could try because death = restart entire mission and, I believe this is either the end, or right near the end of the mission, and it's a long mission where you slowly climb warehouse crates.

Most people suggested using a level select cheat code to skip the mission but, I never got that to work either.

The QTE in question is mash A super fast (I think it was A anyway) so I thought a turbo would work, that didn't work either. So I gave up...

Sucks too, because I actually was genuinely loving it until this stopped me in my tracks.

Of course Activision even back then released a permanently bugged game and to my knowledge didn't even release fixed re-prints like most devs did back then when something like this happened

I beat True Crime: New York on Xbox and I didn't cheat. So it can't be "unbeatable".
Perhaps it's a bug that gets written to your save file and some people don't experience it. That happened for me with the game Stolen on Xbox.

Last edited:
Top Bottom