• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games for Windows Live shutting down July 1, 2014.

Truespeed

I wonder if Microsoft will hold a funeral like they did for the iPhone.

.jpg
.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Ironically, that worked out so well for them eh?

WhatRobEats said:
Fuck it.

I ordered the PS3 version of Dark Souls from Amazon for 14.98 just in case. I would rather play it on the far superior PS3 version with Durante's awesome work and mods but if I can't play it on PC I certainly don't want to miss out on it if I can't finish it by next year.

lolwut? You can finish Dark Souls within a day if you know where you're going. If not a week of trial and error maybe. It's a pretty short game once you get everything together and/or read the wiki's and spoiler yourself. A year is more than generous for the online play for the PC version and double so before the community nose-dives possibly with DaS2 releasing in a year.

Why wouldn't you worry about your digital games when things like this happen?

No purchase is 100% safe. Even if you buy retail your disc might get scratched, you might lose it or break it, the console might break down and so on. I mainly buy games from Steam and GOG because they are the safest bets, Steam is huge and the market leader and GoG offers DRM-free games. I only buy games elsewhere when the games are Steamworks or DRM-free because I can't trust these companies to stick with their service in the long run.

I bought some gfwl games, some of which I might not be able to play anymore. I also lost a couple of games when Direct2Drive changed hands. I consider it a lesson to only trust companies with a proven track record in doing right by the consumer.

hlhbk

Please tell me they are bringing Gears Of War to Steam or I am gonna be pissed. I bought it on GFWL marketplace in July.

Poona

Now, with that stupidity aside, what was the actual point of GFWL? Did it have an actual function besides verification, and doesn't steam do that already?

Achievements, online components (multiplayer/leader boards).

Just basically similar to the system things provided on the Xbox 360 but on pc. I liked it for that reason as I thought it was stupid to pay for a gold membership, and so the things I was barred from playing with on the 360 I was able to do for free through g4wl.

SparkTR

The writing has been on the wall ever since AoE2HD released with Steamworks. As for the games, I'm assuming online-heavy stuff will be screwed (like AoEO), but I'm waiting for an official announcement to worry about anything else. Given how easy it is to disable/bypass GFWL DRM (pirates have been doing it for 6 years) I don't imagine it'll be an issue for SP games.

Regardless of the drama, this needs to happen.

hlhbk

The writing has been on the wall ever since AoE2HD released with Steamworks. As for the games, I'm assuming online-heavy stuff will be screwed (like AoEO), but I'm waiting for an official announcement to worry about anything else. Given how easy it is to disable/bypass GFWL DRM (pirates have been doing it for 6 years) I don't imagine it'll be an issue for SP games.

Regardless of the drama, this needs to happen.

The fact Epic thought so little of the PC not to bring Gears 2 and 3 to it makes me very concerned they just say screw it and not do anything to patch out the GFWL in Gears 1.

Fuck it.

I ordered the PS3 version of Dark Souls from Amazon for 14.98 just in case. I would rather play it on the far superior PS3 version with Durante's awesome work and mods but if I can't play it on PC I certainly don't want to miss out on it if I can't finish it by next year.

If you are in it for the multiplayer, like me, its a good move. Invasions and summons are constant on the PS3 at the right levels and in the right areas, although the quality of the connection can suffer against foreign players.

I hear (but haven't experienced) that the PC version is relatively less populated. Of course, thats exactly the kind of thing that might change if they switched from GFWL to steamworks...

Codeblue

Glad I didn't pick up SFIV during that Amazon sale.

Need to get through Dark Souls in the next year and will be glad to never look back.

Eusis

It's just the digital marketplace correcting itself, as it's still in its infancy and evolving. Inferior services will die out, good services will flourish.
There's some truth to it, but it's also why going HELL YEAH LET'S GO ALL IN FUCK YOU LUDDITES is incredibly FUCKING stupid. Add more digital options, get people used to the idea, see how everyone treats stuff going from generation to generation, AND maybe I'll be more trusting of an all digital future. Vita and PS4 were handling it correctly I thought, while the original XB1 plans were an abomination, an awkward compromise that pleased a very specific handful of people and fucked over everyone else. And from a company known to drop this stuff at practically the drop of a hat.

ajb1888

Banned
Only GFWL titles I have are Mortal Kombat Kollection and Street Fighter X Tekken...

I hope steamworks can save them :/

FlyFaster

And this will forever be pointed at as THE ultimate reason to hate GFWL: Microsoft is flaky with long term support, and could potentially kill several games because of how this had to be implemented in many of them and the fact many developers/publishers may not care to actually get it patched out.

the only thing I can think about

IrishNinja

wow, looks like i'll not be double-dipping on Dark Souls after all...might be time to back up Viva Pinata as well. really is a shame on some of these titles, hopefully lessons are being learned here

ps origin still doesn't do screenshots? wow

robin2

Will I at least be able to play Dark Souls single player?

Anyway this is excellent news. I hope they aren't going to replace it with a new monstrosity.

Jerusahat

Neo Member
Will I at least be able to play Dark Souls single player?

Anyway this is excellent news. I hope they aren't going to replace it with a new monstrosity.

If the GfWL service dies completely, you can create an offline profile.

I'm not sure how keys work for those. Normally, if you're entering a key for the first time, and it can't connect to the servers to verify, it'll ask you to enter it again the next time you load. You might have to copy/paste the key every time.

Ugh that is just so god damn low brow and crass words fail me (and I am not even a fan of Apple).

I am interested to see what will happen with GTA 4 though with regards to GFWL. The game still sells incredibly well during the Steam sales but with GFWL being taken out back and shot that means multiplayer will no longer work in GTA 4. Sure people can still play single player (with a user generated mod) but no multiplayer might put a few off.

ArjanN

I'm sure almost all of these games will get patched officially.
Even if some don't, people will just create cracks. (which I figure are most likely already out there.)

Well, I bought my Dawn of War 2 games fully knowing this would happen eventually, but seeing it go down for real actually hurts. I never played the DoW2 multiplayer game modes, but having them vanish into thin air like that is painful.

The Dow2 multiplayer modes are all in the stand-alone expansion DoW2: Retribution that already uses steamworks anyway.

The only thing lost would be the single-player content.

I think DoW2 will almost certainly be patched anyway given that Relic just inserted steamworks into the original Company of Heroes.

Perkel

Banned
Yes! Burn in hell you piece of garbage.

On a side note I guess I better get to Dead Rising 2. The clock's ticking.

No one will be playing that game if 5 comes out on PC before the shutdown.

If...

Red Dead also supposed to be on pc... Rockstar is behaving weird after gta4 release.

Perkel

Banned
Fuck it.

You can crack it. You won't be able to play online and and see other people ghosts or messages

Syril

So how can you move a Dark Souls save to an offline profile so I don't have to completely start over a year from now?

Ledsen

Stumpokapow said:
Games whose online facilities and achievements will die July 1, 2014--some of these may no longer be able to be activated at this point and thus will be DEAD DEAD:
Bulletstorm
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record
DiRT 2
Dirt 3
Fable III
Grand Theft Auto IV
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Dawn of War II
World of Goo

I own these games. What will happen to them?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Online portion of games becoming unplayable sucks major balls in some cases. A relative and I only bought RE5 and Fable 3 because of the co-op and I'm unsure if he'll be available to play those with me before the service dies.

I have other games in the affected list in which I only care about the single player, so hopefully there won't be trouble with those. I honestly can't believe devs will just leave the games that require a GFWL login to be permanently broken while still being sold, as there are also revenue reasons involved. I wonder how resource consuming it can be to move online features to Steamworks, like it's seemingly going to happen with the Batman games and Bioshock 2.

I already kept a watchful eye on MS for all their dubious decisions but this is the kind of sloppy "lol bye" thing I don't expect from a big company. Granted, I don't know if they're providing any sort of help with patching the products but yeah, not holding my breath.

owasog

I was just able to play Bulletstorm without an internet connection. Of course, it's already installed and everything. There's no telling how it'll act once GFWL's actually shut down and I decide to reformat.
How do you play offline? When I choose my offline account, it just tells me:

You need to be signed in to LIVE but you signed in with an offline profile. This will open a browser window and begin the LIVE signup process. If you are playing a game, the game may minimize or your session may end. Do you want to continue?

If I say yes, it wants you to create a LIVE account.
If I say no, it returns to the login-screen with the message:

You have returned to the title screen because a sign-in change occurred. Press Space

There's no way to play this game without logging in with a LIVE-account. I guess we'll all have to pirate this game after July 2014.

Top Bottom