• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games for Windows Live shutting down July 1, 2014.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Going by the quality of the porting, I don't think Namco cares that much.

The port is fine. It's just barebones. Laughably barebones. From seemed concerned with the bare basics of making sure that the game was up and running on PC, and that it worked properly. All the important aspects like making sure the game engine code was ported over properly and that the game was compatible with a good variety of hardware configurations, that was all there. It

Is it sad that From Software didn't include things like graphical options and non-fixed resolutions? Yes.
Are these things also trivial to implement? Yes.

Was From able to make a game that ran better on PC than on all other platforms largely because of Microsoft's awesomeness at making developer tools, because From ended up being bailed out by the fact that they could convert the Xbox 360 Dark Souls API calls to Direct X 9.0c with minimal effort? Probably. (Xbox 360 API is based on Direct X 9.0c, which is - shockingly! - the version of Direct X needed by Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition.)

And From does care - Dark souls 2's lead development platform is PC, and Dark Souls is regularly advertised on the Steam front page and featured in Steam sales.

People don't know what a bad PC port is in this day and age.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Good point my friend, very good point.

I'm going to guess PC sales when Dark Souls first released and then after that when Dark Souls went on sale during Steam sales made Namcos executives eyes open VERY wide as to the profit potential :p

These companies that were stupid enough to use GFWL with their games should be speaking up and letting people know how this is going to affect peoples games. They were morons for using GFWL, no need to be cowards as well and not speak up on it now.

Crawl

These companies that were stupid enough to use GFWL with their games should be speaking up and letting people know how this is going to affect peoples games. They were morons for using GFWL, no need to be cowards as well and not speak up on it now.

And I hope gamers whom lose their game access because of this shitty service, bitch about it and make some noise so these companies will fix their games rather than just shrug their shoulders.

Bluth54

What happens to Warhammer 40K, GTA4 and bioshock? Or is Online the thing that is shutting down?

Relic has already converted Company of Heroes to Steamworks (it shows up as New Steam version in your library if you own all three games on Steam) so I imagine they'll move Warhammer over to Steamworks as well.

Nillansan

:D Steam Achievements have been added for Arkham Asylum and Arkham City (although they don't unlock yet).

Steam Achievements for Arkham Asylum were added a while ago.

Arkham City already had Steam Achievements, it used an odd combination of GFWL and Steamworks.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm really not that great at the game, obviously. Because I'm 12 hours in and still at the Undead Burg. I can't beat
Tarus Demon
. So instead I've been grinding and leveling my character to a point where maybe I can. Unfortunately I don't have the time to play games everyday so I don't know that a year is enough time for me.

You can finish it within a month, man. Set the time aside on your schedule and go through it. Unless you're exploring everything you only need to ring two bells, do a few gold-gate unlocks (if that, forgetting) and then you're basically at the final boss. Extremely short compared to something like Final Fantasy or an MMORPG.

Mononoke

Banned
Can someone tell me why companies use things like WIndows Live and Uplay? Do they have to pay Valve extra for using them as DRM?

What is the benefit of having their own DRM vs letting someone else do it for them? (Or what was the benefit they expected).

Omikaru

Can someone tell me why companies use things like WIndows Live and Uplay? Do they have to pay Valve extra for using them as DRM?

What is the benefit of having their own DRM vs letting someone else do it for them? (Or what was the benefit they expected).

Valve provides Steamworks for free. That includes any DRM you use as part of Steamworks, afaik.

In the case of UPlay, it's just Ubisoft wanting to have its own online services so they have more control over the games. Same for Origin. Remember that UPlay started off as always-online DRM for Assassin's Creed II on PC. I don't think any non-Ubisoft published game actually uses it.

As for GFWL, it's probably a combination of things:
- Developers thinking PC gamers want Xbox on their PC.
- Easy to port online play stuff from Xbox 360.
- Exclusivity deal with MS (more in the early days when they were trying to force pay-to-play online on PC gaming).
- A general contempt of their customers.
- Something else I'm not aware of that makes GFWL compelling to devs and pubs.

Mononoke

Banned
Valve provides Steamworks for free. That includes any DRM you use as part of Steamworks, afaik.

In the case of UPlay, it's just Ubisoft wanting to have its own online services so they have more control over the games. Same for Origin. Remember that UPlay started off as always-online DRM for Assassin's Creed II on PC. I don't think any non-Ubisoft published game actually uses it.

As for GFWL, it's probably a combination of things:
- Developers thinking PC gamers want Xbox on their PC.
- Easy to port online play stuff from Xbox 360.
- Exclusivity deal with MS (more in the early days when they were trying to force pay-to-play online on PC gaming).
- A general contempt of their customers.
- Something else I'm not aware of that makes GFWL compelling to devs and pubs.

Great post, really informative. Thank you for taking the time to explain that.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

For Windows Live, as far as Microsoft goes, it used to be their attempt at a Steam/Xbox Live style online platform for PC. They all but abandoned it fairly quickly, after their attempt at making people pay for multiplayer fizzled out, though they sort of half supported it for several years after. It still got a lot of use from certain devs and publishers in the interim, especially Japanese ones, because it made for easier porting of multiplayer games from Xbox 360 to PC sometimes.

As far as Uplay goes, it was basically just Ubisoft's always-online DRM solution, which they also used as a sort of super cheap "rewards" program for buying some of their games. (Basically getting certain achievements in a game would give you Uplay points, which you would then use to unlock stuff like wallpapers and alternate costumes and stuff in game). They've recently moved towards changing it into a Steam competitor, because if you have the ability to make your own platform, why not try for some of that Valve money?

NZNova

I recall someone saying a Steam entry known to be the Dark Souls beta was updated recently (grief.exe would probably know). I am praying each night and lighting incense in the hopes that a proper GFWL-free version is being added.

I'm still in disbelief over this. They're not even gracefully phasing this service out. There will be games less than two years old when it dies.

Indeed. If this isn't handled well it could be a real PR nightmare. People will find ways around it, of course. They'll surely crack their legitimately purchased games in order to keep playing them after the sunset, if there is no alternative. Not a good look at all...

vg260

This was what Capcom (Sven) stated as they key reasons for going with GFWL:
Some key points about the value of GFWL (as went into the decision making process back in the day):

1. 95% of system calls are identical to Xbox Live. That is to say, if you have an Xbox 360 version, you're 95% of the way to having a working PC SKU, and the calls that are different, aren't wildly different. No additional integration required.

2. What this also means is feature for feature mapping with console. No gaps.

3. Native development support, if needed, in Japanese, in Japan's time zone. For getting anything done with teams in Japan, this is essential.

4. SSA remains secure.

Sven had been pushing for any PC support at all. So pretty much it required the least effort at the time, and probably the only reason they got made. He had stated pushing for any PC releases at the time was a huge effort. Fortunately they have gone full Steamworks.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I recall someone saying a Steam entry known to be the Dark Souls beta was updated recently (grief.exe would probably know). I am praying each night and lighting incense in the hopes that a proper GFWL-free version is being added.

I'm still in disbelief over this. They're not even gracefully phasing this service out. There will be games less than two years old when it dies.

Yeah, there's a patch in the works, but it's too early to say whether or not it pertains to the removal of GFWL.

Sinfamy

I hope Microsoft burns to the ground, and from those ashes a new company can rise that I can once again respect.

wazoo

A bit of news.

Codemasters is aware of the problem for the DIRT series and will not let the game die. They also think that the deadline is the closure of the service in July 2014 not much before.

JaseC

A bit of news.

Codemasters is aware of the problem for the DIRT series and will not let the game die. They also think that the deadline is the closure of the service in July 2014 not much before.

As per this thread only Dirt 3 is being actively explored at the moment. This brings the list of games known to have plans pertaining to the removal of GFWL to:

- Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY
- Batman: Arkham City GOTY
- BioShock 2
- Dirt 3
- Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet

Dirt 2, F1 2010/2011, Fuel, and Operation Flashpoint: Red River "are being looked at".

Soodanim

I have a bunch of PC games, including some physical ones I got in a THQ pack. Luckily, none of them are in the list in this thread. The reason I care is that the games I own for PC are pre-purchases for when I get a gaming PC, so I've never played them.

L~A

Hmm... I still need to play GTA IV, but it uses GFWL for saves. Wonder what will happen for it.

Man, it's the only game I have that uses GFWL, and what a mess it turned out in the end.

Ushae

Banned
I have a funny feeling MS has something in the pipeline to answer the PC gaming market, looking at their most recent hirings from ex-Steam employees. I guess time will tell eventually. My guess is they will keep it under wraps until their next major OS 'revamp'

mjswooosh

Banned
Great news.

On a side note, although I don't condone piracy...it does seem like there's a good chance that dozens of GFWL games will become useless (or at least far less fun) overnight. This does give extra credence to the argument that pirates often use to justify piracy in the first place: pirated copies of games ironically offer more glitch-free usability than the legitimate DRM-infested versions.

D-e-f-

Banned
As per this thread only Dirt 3 is being actively explored at the moment. This brings the list of games known to have plans pertaining to the removal of GFWL to:

- Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY
- Batman: Arkham City GOTY
- BioShock 2
- Dirt 3
- Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet

Dirt 2, F1 2010/2011, Fuel, and Operation Flashpoint: Red River "are being looked at".

How is it that WB and 2k still apparently haven't taken care of these games when the plans for it leaked many many months ago. Nobody can tell me that patching out idiotic DRM is a lot of work.

Astery

I thought it's dead for years.
I assume MS will just Xbox live as the future of GFWL very soon, it isn't necessary for different market places for one brand these days.

It would be great If we get Steam versions of Dirt 2 and 3. I played over 30 hours each and GFWL was always a pain in the ass.

I hope they also let us buy Dirt 3 DLC from Steam now.

Gangxxter

Hmm... I still need to play GTA IV, but it uses GFWL for saves. Wonder what will happen for it.

Man, it's the only game I have that uses GFWL, and what a mess it turned out in the end.
There is an Xliveless mod for IV and the Episodes, which removes GfWL completely from the game. You can't play multiplayer with it though.

JaseC

Great news.

On a side note, although I don't condone piracy...it does seem like there's a good chance that dozens of GFWL games will become useless (or at least far less fun) overnight. This does give extra credence to the argument that pirates often use to justify piracy in the first place: pirated copies of games ironically offer more glitch-free usability than the legitimate DRM-infested versions.

There's a distinction to make between downloading a pirated game to skirt payment and downloading a pirated game so you are able to play something you'd legally purchased. A rather novel example of the latter is using leaked ISOs as de facto pre-loads when you've pre-purchased a game on Steam and there's to be no official pre-load period.

How is it that WB and 2k still apparently haven't taken care of these games when the plans for it leaked many many months ago. Nobody can tell me that patching out idiotic DRM is a lot of work.

In the case of Bio2 and Batman, GFWL is being replaced with Steamworks, plus as large multi-national publishers there's a ton of red tape to wade through before an update is formally submitted to Valve (QA being the most obvious and perhaps the largest bundle thereof).

It would be great If we get Steam versions of Dirt 2 and 3. I played over 30 hours each and GFWL was always a pain in the ass.

I hope they also let us buy Dirt 3 DLC from Steam now.

Codemasters is open to the idea of releasing a patch that will add the GFWL DLC to the game for free, but if it's to follow in the footsteps of 2K/WB and replace GFWL rather than just remove it, then I assume the DLC will be resold via Steam instead.

Top Bottom