• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games giant Electronic Arts gatecrashes £725m Codemasters takeover

Astorian

Sky News has learnt that EA has tabled a potentially knockout bid for Codemasters, trumping an offer agreed last month with Take-Two Interactive Software, maker of the Red Dead franchise.

A gaming industry source said this weekend that EA was working with bankers at UBS on its offer.

The interest from EA, which has a market value of almost $40bn (£30bn), is likely to be disclosed to the stock market on Monday morning.

xrnzaaas

2sdoPXK.jpg

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Why is Codemasters so valuable? They make games nobody buys. Sony shut down Evolution Studios for similar reasons
And Codemasters pick them up, I mean being probably one of most mainstream racing game company, not the mention 3rd party, it's unique in it's position. I think EA could made better racing games than they do by buying them.

But it is less than the proposed one no?

Why is Codemasters so valuable? They make games nobody buys. Sony shut down Evolution Studios for similar reasons
F1 license basically. Also - unlike Sony - EA probably has the rights to various sport racing games like Nascar etc.

Sony and its community like only GT, third-person games, JRPG and some arcades. So basically everything else is not that popular on PS.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
All the bad guys buying studios, good guy Sony needs to buy something. Overlord 1+2 and Operation Flashpoint were some really good games.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
All the bad guys buying studios, good guy Sony needs to buy something. Overlord 1+2 and Operation Flashpoint were some really good games.

If sony was such a good guy it would share all PS profits with Nintendo mwhahahahahahhhhhhahhhhhahhhahhaha

Also I’m kidding. I hope who ever buys them treats them well. They made some absolute classics back in the megadrive days.

Last edited:
Codemasters also owns the Project Cars developers Slightly Mad Studios, who had made Need for Speed Shift for EA back in the day.

It's hard to imagine what Take Two would do with this developer anyway...have them make a new Midnight Club?

Last edited:

Calverz

But it is less than the proposed one no?

F1 license basically. Also - unlike Sony - EA probably has the rights to various sport racing games like Nascar etc.

Sony and its community like only GT, third-person games, JRPG and some arcades. So basically everything else is not that popular on PS.
Dont they also have the wrc licence as of next year?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Thats a lot of money to pay for a studio that makes Dirt and F1 games.

However EA probably needs them to diversify their library. NFS is crap.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Really hope EA doesn’t win this. We can debate how you feel about Codemasters until the end of time, but I would argue them as a good studio that makes fun games. That’s gone if EA steps in. Nothing but sheer, cold, generic corporatism and maximizing revenues exists in that environment.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
We’ll have to agree to disagree.

A new Motorstorm with new gen technology would have been beast.

Gfx, physics, weather, environmental effects, particles, 60fps.... it really is a missed opportunity.

Dont they also have the wrc licence as of next year?
Don't know. WRC games are made by the different company after all?
If EA gets the license then it make sense to acquire Codemasters.

I wonder why they moved so late though.

Last edited:

Calverz

Don't know. WRC games are made by the different company after all?
If EA gets the license then it make sense to acquire Codemasters.

I wonder why they moved so late though.
I just googled it. Codemasters got the WRC licence for 5 years from 2023. This probably makes them even more attractive to ea and take two. Assuming the licence would then carry over.

Vae_Victis

Banned
And Codemasters pick them up, I mean being probably one of most mainstream racing game company, not the mention 3rd party, it's unique in it's position. I think EA could made better racing games than they do by buying them.
I doubt the point is to put the studio in a position to make better games. But they sure can fill up a nice and rich racing games catalogue with lootboxes.

EA's economic company model is basically based on microtransactions at this point. If they turned them off overnight, they'd be bleeding a lot of money from the next day. Might as well go all-in while you can, before legislators around the world start taking the thing really seriously.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
A large part of that is the licenses I bet.

Also, DriveClub actually sold 2 million less than a year. It was by no means a failure. Hell, if Sony had done what they wanted to, they wouldve given it the Gran Turismo title like Forza Horizon. But kaz said no, and sony ended up shutting down the better racing dev they had.

Codemasters has actually been acquiring a bunch of devs in recent years. After picking up evolution studios, they acquired slightly mad studios who make the Project Car series. They already had the yearly F1 sim (Full license), and this year they acquired the WRC license they lost 18 years ago.

they are a very attractive proposition to a big Publisher like EA. They will have a rally game every year with the Dirt Rally team making the rally sims (very popular among hardcore rally racing fans) and the evo studios team making the arcade dirt series. They finally have a respectable racing sim like Project Cars which can fill in years Forza and GT dont show up. I fear the GRID team will be the odd man out, but for a Publisher that has basically turned into a subscription based yearly sports franchise publishers, these racing IPs are going to bring in a steady sum of money every year.

That is, if they dont fuck it up like they do usually do.

Top Bottom