• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games giant Electronic Arts gatecrashes £725m Codemasters takeover

BeardGawd

Banned
I wonder why they moved so late though.
I wouldn't doubt that someone on the inside tipped EA off to Take Two's plans for Codemasters... and EA felt threatened by whatever those plans are... in the end it just ups the price if Take Two comes back with another counter.

Leyasu

Banned
Why is Codemasters so valuable? They make games nobody buys. Sony shut down Evolution Studios for similar reasons

Perhaps one of the major publishers wants a slice of GT/FM pie. Codemasters would be a great studio if you wanted to launch a franchise like those two.

tenor.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Take Two offered $870 million US and EA outbid them at $1.2 billion.

I guess EA's coffers are brimming with so much microtrans money what's a counter bid at an extra 38%? Peanuts. lol

Following the stock market I can't remember someone counterbidding at +38% over the current leading bid. Nuts.

Dazraell

I can understand why EA is going for this deal. Codemasters has a lot of valuable racing franchises that could potentially help to differentiate their own portfolio in the genre. Need for Speed and Burnout is just a single spectrum of this, games like DIRT and F1 could work alongside them well. That said, I think both EA and Take-Two are bad choices from a client perspective as both companies has an awful history with milking franchises dry.

Domisto

Do people actually buy any of them? The mainstream dirt games are getting worse and worse. Dirt rally is good but kind of niche. F1.....is just stale at this point.
A stale but profitable licensed sports series with lots of scope for micro-transactions. EA ups it's bid. :goog_devil:

Top Bottom