• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games Journalism! Wainwright/Florence/Tomb Raider/Eurogamer/Libel Threats/Doritos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Are you shitting on the Oxford comma?

Because I will fight you.
I... um... maybe? I used to do it but I'm sure I picked up from somewhere that it wasn't the right thing to do. So I've probably screwed up somewhere. I know for sure I haven't used it myself for years and when I accidentally do, it just looks wrong. That's not to say it is, though.

What native English user doesn't do this?
Me... until now, I guess.

I had to go double check, I'm apparently an ardent proponent of the serial comma, and furthermore

But seriously, I've been writing published stuff for over ten years and my manuscripts are littered with it. I'm either a terrible writer or my editors are all terrible :O
Maybe it's just a thing where you either use it or you don't, like aluminum or aluminium. (Side note: Guess which one of those Firefox decided to highlight as a spelling error. Yup.)

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Sorry to drag this out any more, but... I can't remember when I started using the Oxford/serial comma, but I didn't even know it was a named thing when I did. Writing something like "I went to the store and bought bacon, lettuce, and tomatoes" without that comma before the last "and blank" would seem weird to me. It creates the right pause between each item, and ensures the last two aren't lumped together.

Why do people hate it so much? I read the pros and cons on the Wikipedia article, but none of the cons seem to outweigh the pros.

Shaneus

Sorry to drag this out any more, but... I can't remember when I started using the Oxford/serial comma, but I didn't even know it was a named thing when I did. Writing something like "I went to the store and bought bacon, lettuce, and tomatoes" without that comma before the last "and blank" would seem weird to me. It creates the right pause between each item, and ensures the last two aren't lumped together.

Why do people hate it so much? I read the pros and cons on the Wikipedia article, but none of the cons seem to outweigh the pros.
The only reason I don't like it is because it just looks weird, and out of place. Like aluminum, mom and the board game "Clue" (it's "Cluedo", damnit).*

*Yes, I'm aware it was never "Cluedo" in the US. I'm just being whiny.

PS. What were the chances that something I randomly picked up on just happened to have a discussion on it by the Polygon team? Is it like that thing where you can name any anime and there'll be a clip of it on YouTube that's dubbed with Linkin Park, or how there's always a weird drawing of a Sonic character with your name somewhere?

sonicmj1

I... um... maybe? I used to do it but I'm sure I picked up from somewhere that it wasn't the right thing to do. So I've probably screwed up somewhere. I know for sure I haven't used it myself for years and when I accidentally do, it just looks wrong. That's not to say it is, though.

Me... until now, I guess.

Maybe it's just a thing where you either use it or you don't, like aluminum or aluminium. (Side note: Guess which one of those Firefox decided to highlight as a spelling error. Yup.)

Yeah, it's one of those "American English vs British English" things. Both are grammatically valid, and I think both are fine. It's a style choice.

I will not stand for anyone denying man the freedom to use the Oxford comma, though. Our Founding Fathers shed their blood, sweat, and tears so that we could use the Oxford comma, and I will not accept that their sacrifice was in vain. Take that away, and you may as well just raise the Union Jack over the White House.

EDIT: Cluedo isn't even a word.

yurinka

Milchjon

From the gamesindustry.biz article linked before:

I wish I could turn this into some kind of stamp and go around branding it on people's foreheads whenever they're playing the "Not worthy of discussion" card.

Just a couple of months ago a fact became known. A one precent difference in Fallout:New Vegas' Metacritic score caused Obsidian to miss out on millions of dollars of bonuses. Millions of dollars. In a single game. For a single developer. And they have the BALLS to claim they don't matter enough to warrant scrutiny.

Fuck you.

The artile is great but how is what you're describing not mainly the fault of the publisher, and maybe even Obsidian for agreeing on those terms?

The artile is great but how is what you're describing not mainly the fault of the publisher, and maybe even Obsidian for agreeing on those terms?

Sorry to jump on this, since your question is fair, but here's how it really works...

Obsidian very likely had 2 options: no potential for bonuses, or bonuses based on metacritic. When provided those two options, which would you take?

Game dev contract negotiation is a brutal tug of war meets battle of attrition meets david vs goliath. It's insanely hard to sign good deals. It's almost impossible to sign great ones.

So, while Obsidian did sign the contract with these terms, stating it's 'their fault' is inaccurate.

Lancehead

The example is to say that they matter enough to warrant scrutiny, not necessarily that they were at fault, which may or may not turn out to be the case after said scrutiny.

8bit

Knows the Score
Sorry to jump on this, since your question is fair, but here's how it really works...

Obsidian very likely had 2 options: no potential for bonuses, or bonuses based on metacritic. When provided those two options, which would you take?

Game dev contract negotiation is a brutal tug of war meets battle of attrition meets david vs goliath. It's insanely hard to sign good deals. It's almost impossible to sign great ones.

So, while Obsidian did sign the contract with these terms, stating it's 'their fault' is inaccurate.

Would they have got that extra 1% if the PR team were extra schmoozy? Were there enough New Vegas bottles of Champagne sent to Joystiq? Who does the fault lie with?

Fistwell

Would they have got that extra 1% if the PR team were extra schmoozy? Were there enough New Vegas bottles of Champagne sent to Joystiq? Who does the fault lie with?
The flags dammit, the goddam flags!! Someone send a new vegas flag to the kotaku video editor this instant!

Jimaroid

Neo Member
This is potentially amusing and relevant to see the guerilla fightback spreading. The 2012 TIGA Awards were held in Bath, UK last night and this flyer made an appearance on behalf of one of the entrants:

304351_215930801872209_445995246_n.jpg

Later that night, this appears to have happened to the front door of Future Publishing:

A6pvenuCMAA5tvn.jpg

(full disclosure, I may be guilty of the idea but not the implementation ;) )

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I see a comma in lists as a stand-in for either "or" or "and". Thus having both the "or"/"and" and the comma repeats the same piece of information twice. It's a syntax error.

How about no, no, and no.

This is potentially amusing and relevant to see the guerilla fightback spreading. The 2012 TIGA Awards were held in Bath, UK last night and this flyer made an appearance on behalf of one of the entrants:

I'm impressed something was held in Bath for once! I know you're not a Future employee yourself, but were they involved in the organisation of it at all? I've lived in Bath myself and I've got friends in Future, but it seems like all the cool events take place in London (Golden Joysticks etc).. what venue did they use?

There's hyperbole, and there's hyperbole:

(let's ignore the fact that a "journalist" has committed one of the cardinal sins of the written English word... using a comma toward the end of a list, prior to using an "and")
I was taught to it this way in school. No foul here on that matter.

Dennis

Banned
For those just joining us, we are discussing commas during the break between gaming media ethical failures.

Should be about 10 minutes.

clockpunk

Regarding the current debate, I teach on a University English Language course (amongst others), and the Oxford comma is indeed what we recommend students use.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
For those just joining us, we are discussing commas during the break between gaming media ethical failures.

Should be about 10 minutes.

We're discussing journalism. And some of the syntax these writers use is pretty horrible. Look at GB reviews and their love of conjunctions as sentence starters.

I don't know that anyone who isn't a suit-wearing, monocle-shining high-level executive believes that Metacritic bonuses are actually a good idea. I've written about this before: http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/03/why-are-game-developer-bonuses-based-on-review-scores/

Agreed - my only point was that given NO BONUS or METACRITIC BONUS as the two options on the table, everyone will take the metacritic bonus. People shouldn't blame devs for taking that deal when it's (quite likely) the only carrot a publisher is dangling.

It would all be pure hypothetical, so I can't say. Again, my point was that the poster I was responding to claimed that, perhaps, some of the fault is the devs for taking the deal.

Jimaroid

Neo Member
I'm impressed something was held in Bath for once! I know you're not a Future employee yourself, but were they involved in the organisation of it at all? I've lived in Bath myself and I've got friends in Future, but it seems like all the cool events take place in London (Golden Joysticks etc).. what venue did they use?

The Assembly Rooms, nice venue and also agree it's good to see such things outside of London. I don't know if/how Future were involved, the little I understand is that it's wholly TIGA organised.

Regarding the current debate, I teach on a University English Language course (amongst others), and the Oxford comma is indeed what we recommend students use.

I believe in the "Elements of Style" it says comma (before "and") for long lists and no comma (before "and") for short lists of 3 or 4. Not sure though.

jschreier

Agreed - my only point was that given NO BONUS or METACRITIC BONUS as the two options on the table, everyone will take the metacritic bonus. People shouldn't blame devs for taking that deal when it's (quite likely) the only carrot a publisher is dangling.

Oh, absolutely. And from what I've heard, Obsidian didn't have much choice in the matter. I don't think they can be blamed for signing the contract that was available to them. It's on Bethesda (and other publishers) not to use such a ridiculous metric to measure ANYTHING.

Oh, absolutely. And from what I've heard, Obsidian didn't have much choice in the matter. I don't think they can be blamed for signing the contract that was available to them. It's on Bethesda (and other publishers) not to use such a ridiculous metric to measure ANYTHING.

The sad thing is that Metacritic-based bonuses are low on the 'offensive and terrible things in game contracts' scale... Sigh. Siiiiigh.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Would have missed the latest developments if not for Ben Kuchera's tweets.

LOL @ the whole thing. Is MCV purposefully pissing against the wind to show where they intend to go with this in the future? i.e. nowhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom