• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games Journalism! Wainwright/Florence/Tomb Raider/Eurogamer/Libel Threats/Doritos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
That reads like a list of how to ruin Halo.

Improving game discussions by journalists tend to be lists of how to ruin the game in question.

One guy suggested to the Soul Calibur IV team that they do away with established characters and go create a character only.

xenist

The artile is great but how is what you're describing not mainly the fault of the publisher, and maybe even Obsidian for agreeing on those terms?

Don't take me wrong. I'm not saying that there was anything crooked going on about this. But if one review with a score a little below the others could cost a developer millions it seems kind of stupid to argue that how a reviewer comes to his judgement is not worthy of discussion.

Edit: Damn, 3.5K for a mock review? The Bombcast guys were right. They pay well.

Via Jim Sterling:

g0je.jpg

sleepykyo

Improving game discussions by journalists tend to be lists of how to ruin the game in question.

One guy suggested to the Soul Calibur IV team that they do away with established characters and go create a character only.

What a weird suggestion when the most popular fighting games. eg. Brawl/Melee, SF4 and MK have the least customization, thus creating icons/mascots.

eternalb

Would have missed the latest developments if not for Ben Kuchera's tweets.

Did I miss it in the thread, or has this not really been talking about?

From Kuchera's Twitter.

Awesome, the new issue of MCV features a Lauren Wainwright-penned preview of a Square Enix game. Seems legit.

Even better, the article plays up the Sniper Challenge, which Intent Media used as a contest, sponsored by Square Enix. No disclosure.

(Wainwright's boyfriend was one of the finalists, but don't worry, he didn't win.) This story keeps on giving.

krae_man

Who's on the line up this week?

Wii U, Halo 4, Assassin's Creed 3 and Gaming Journalism are just some of the topics discussed on this episode of Weekend Confirmed. Christian Spicer and Andrew Yoon join Jeff and Garnett for this week's show. The Wii U and Halo 4 are discussed heavily in the first segment and then the crew changes gears with some Assassin's Creed 3 talk and the Gaming Journalism discussion continues from last week. All that, Finishing Moves, and the football tailgate make this one great episode.

Download Link

jschreier

Yeesh. I just read that GI.biz piece and it feels like he occupies an entirely different world than the one I work in. Maybe this really is just a UK thing, or maybe because I'm in New York I'm totally out of the loop, but my experiences have been nothing like what Rob Fahey is talking about. For what it's worth.

while on the subject of gaming "journalists", I was browsing the himan forums again and they did another one of those vote for 47 polls. They won of course or so they thought. here was the final result to the poll:

71252253.jpg

so, it looks like they won. however, gamesradar, the one's who took the poll, had this to say:

Truth be told, last week's bout between Agent 47 and Ezio was closer than we were expecting. That's no knock against IO Interactive's bio-engineered stone cold killer; he just doesn't have the same name recognition (and, who are we kidding, sex appeal) as gaming's deadly Don Juan. Maybe this month's release of Hitman: Absolution will change that. But to the week that is...

http://www.gamesradar.com/friday-night-fights-master-chief-vs-commander-shepard/

okay, did they just implied that 47 lost the poll? but that is not possible as the image above proves otherwise. Let's here your thoughts neogaf. Is the Hitamnforum being sore winners or are they in the right?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
What a weird suggestion when the most popular fighting games. eg. Brawl/Melee, SF4 and MK have the least customization, thus creating icons/mascots.
In SC's case the suggestion is especially absurd since CAS models variable sizes can change what combos are possible etc. It would've completely killed the game as a tournament viable fighter.

I get the impression that a lot of suggestions like that are change for change's sake rather than being well thought out.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Got through the Giant Bomb discussion. They were quite thorough and honest. Not sure where some of the negativity regarding it came from in this thread. Listening to their entire discussion the "dismissal" of the whole thing is completely understandable and maybe even justified.

Got through the Giant Bomb discussion. They were quite thorough and honest. Not sure where some of the negativity regarding it came from in this thread. Listening to their entire discussion the "dismissal" of the whole thing is completely understandable and maybe even justified.

I think they needed to have the discussion. It certainly makes me realize that their heads and hearts are in the right place.

Next time "journalism" and "enthusiast press" are being put to task...I won't be worrying about Giant Bomb.

Oxx

Jeff was reflective and candid when the discussion got going, but he did begin by using the words 'bitter' and 'witch-hunt', which set a strange tone.

Oxx

I almost couldn't find any Mountain Dew in Tesco today. It was with the Red Bulls and Monsters rather than Coke and Pepsi.

Seems like it's called 'Mountain Dew Energy'. I'm not sure if that is just a branding thing or if it has any different ingredients.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I almost couldn't find any Mountain Dew in Tesco today. It was with the Red Bulls and Monsters rather than Coke and Pepsi.

Seems like it's called 'Mountain Dew Energy'. I'm not sure if that is just a branding thing or if it has any different ingredients.

We have Dew in the UK?

Regardless, YOU HAVE PLAYED RIGHT INTO THE HANDS OF KEIGHLY!

StayDead

Oxx O_O

Also, I've only ever tried to do the dew once, it wasn't a pleasent experience at all and I never plan on doing it again.

Me 1 - 0 Geoff

Roquentin

Last night I had a dream about eating Doritos. I've never eaten them in real life, I don't think they're even available where I live. You win, Keighly.

Yeh that's not really Mountain Dew dude, it's an energy drink. Tastes like crap, bought it by mistake once. Never been able to get Mountain Dew at tesco as far as I'm aware, they used to sell cans at baguette express tho. Found a corner shop in Glasgow that sells it as well weirdly

8bit

Knows the Score
Yeh that's not really Mountain Dew dude, it's an energy drink. Tastes like crap, bought it by mistake once. Never been able to get Mountain Dew at tesco as far as I'm aware, they used to sell cans at baguette express tho. Found a corner shop in Glasgow that sells it as well weirdly

It was launched in the UK round about 15 or so years ago, don't think it was very popular as it tastes like fizzy sweat.

Roquentin

how do you imagine them to taste?
I can't recall the taste, but if I remember correctly I wasn't happy with it. That's probably because I don't think I would like them in real life. So in my case it's not a win for the Doritos Pope, especially since my dream was inspired by this thread and its negative association with Doritos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom