• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games Rated Incorrectly By The ESRB | This Thread is Rated 'M' for Mature

Ridley327

The Soulcalibur games have boobs on the level of DOA, but gets away with a T instead if an M.

Am I the only one thinking something's wrong here?
Haven't the games recently had some pretty violent CGs? I know 4 had one with Ryu that had a lot of blood in it, so that's why that one got an M.

dramatis

It seems clear to me that the ESRB prioritizes things like sexuality and nudity as being worse than violence. This is weird to me since nudity is just the human body, something that (hopefully) everyone will see and experience, while, knifing someone in the chest is far less common and something that I hope almost no one has to experience ever.
I'm not much of an authority, but I think the "sexuality/nudity is worse than violence" is sort of an American thing. It has less to do with us being prudes (we're not) but I think in general it's probably just that some religious institutions would have enormous fits over sexual content, and also the culture in general glorifies violence while damning sexuality. It's one thing to fill minds with violence (guns are the defense of the freedom fighters, violence indicates strength and coolness, and so on) and another to seduce with images of the human body (sex is sin, skimpily dressed show-offs are sluts, etc). So the ESRB would consider something that shows boobs more harmful to children than something that shows people killing other people.

Of course, the system and the board that determines the rating is probably a bit more complicated and nuanced than that, but I think culture and "the times" has an influence on the kind of rating a game gets.

LegatoB

I believe it's not unheard of for the ESRB to give a higher rating, if requested by the publisher. Combined with the variance in perspectives of the humans reviewing the content, you can explain most of the ratings weirdness.

I'm still kind of amazed any version of Crusader: No Remorse got a T rating, though. I justified playing so many violent games to my parents as a kid with "Well, it's not as violent as Crusader!"

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You mind posting and spoiler tagging whatever that particular part was? I beat the game but I don't know what part you guys are going on about. lol
HUGE AA5 CHAPTER 5 SPOILERS BELOW.

It's the part where Athena was a little girl & her mom got injured, so she took her over & placed her on a robot repair machine because she figured it would "fix mom up like with the robots". You don't see it happen, but it's heavily implied, especially with a picture of young Athena having a creepy smile, her eyes devoid of pupils, & blood on her face.

END OF HUGE AA5 CHAPTER 5 SPOILERS.

I will agree with Dead or Alive. Both the fighting and the volleyball games. Neither should have gotten an M rating to me.
Guess it's the whole "violence = ok, sex/nudity = OH NOES" mentality of the US. Weird how DoA2 on PS2 & Dreamcast was T, but the Ultimate version on Xbox was rated M (I think because of ONE implied rape scene in the intro or something), then DoA3 was T, but then DoA4 & 5 were M, but then Dimensions on 3DS was T again. Guess it's the costumes, graphics quality, some of the cutscenes, or something.

I'm not much of an authority, but I think the "sexuality/nudity is worse than violence" is sort of an American thing. It has less to do with us being prudes (we're not) but I think in general it's probably just that some religious institutions would have enormous fits over sexual content, and also the culture in general glorifies violence while damning sexuality. It's one thing to fill minds with violence (guns are the defense of the freedom fighters, violence indicates strength and coolness, and so on) and another to seduce with images of the human body (sex is sin, skimpily dressed show-offs are sluts, etc). So the ESRB would consider something that shows boobs more harmful to children than something that shows people killing other people.

Of course, the system and the board that determines the rating is probably a bit more complicated and nuanced than that, but I think culture and "the times" has an influence on the kind of rating a game gets.

As I noted on the previous page, the ESRB (at least used to) go to the public to help in deciding game ratings... and sex tends to be viewed harsher than violence in the general public's eyes.

Begbie

I think Batman got a T rating because he doesn't kill, he just knocks his opponents out.

There has to be a better system than the ESRB, why bother having C, E, E10, T, M, A when 95% of releases are E, T or M?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Great, so it's just like the MPAA?

The MPAA at least actually watch the entire movie before making their ratings. ESRB watches a portion of the game that the publisher/developer submits, they don't usually play the game and likely won't get proper context for many of the scenes submitted.

smash bros brawl is the perfect e10 game but it got stuck with a t

It was on the cusp of going higher. Sakurai had to specifically keep Snake's weapons as explosives and not bullets (this is a distinction the ESRB makes, apparently) to keep the game from going to M.

Why do people care so much about ESRB ratings? They are very inconsistent and they really do not matter to most people when it comes to purchases.

flkraven

I haven't played all of Origins, but I didn't find anything in Asylum or City that was worthy of a M rating. What makes you think that they should have been rated Mature?

Also, not all other, violent 3rd person action games get rated M? Both Uncharted and inFamous fit that description and are rated T just like Batman.

I don't necessarily want an M rating, but rather consistency. I guess I just don't see the differenct between the Arkham games, and say Crackdown, Assassin's Creed, etc.

Yuuichi

The MPAA at least actually watch the entire movie before making their ratings. ESRB watches a portion of the game that the publisher/developer submits, they don't usually play the game and likely won't get proper context for many of the scenes submitted.

But, as far as I understand it, the ESRB is much more transparent and upfront about things, compared to the MPAA. It's been a year or so since I last watched "This Film is Not Yet Rated", but if the MPAA is close to what's portrayed in that film, then the ESRB is better in some ways.

Apdiddy

Dark Souls II being rated T for Teen....if Dark Souls & Demon's Souls are rated M, why not Dark Souls II?

What stinks about the ESRB is none of the major retailers will stock games with AO ratings even though having an AAA release with that rating would change the perception of gaming and not just be for children/young adults. I guess the ESRB and the retailers are worried about parent groups being upset more than expanding their audience.

I don't necessarily want an M rating, but rather consistency. I guess I just don't see the differenct between the Arkham games, and say Crackdown, Assassin's Creed, etc.

In Crackdown and AC you kill people and there's way more blood. The main goal in those games is killing. Batman doesn't kill. You could say the combat is more brutal, but the no-death clause makes it more acceptable in the ESRB's eyes.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
It was on the cusp of going higher. Sakurai had to specifically keep Snake's weapons as explosives and not bullets (this is a distinction the ESRB makes, apparently) to keep the game from going to M.
Then how did its failed rival PlayStation All-Stars manage to get a T rating in spite of actually having characters with guns?

Dark Souls II being rated T for Teen....if Dark Souls & Demon's Souls are rated M, why not Dark Souls II?

What stinks about the ESRB is none of the major retailers will stock games with AO ratings even though having an AAA release with that rating would change the perception of gaming and not just be for children/young adults. I guess the ESRB and the retailers are worried about parent groups being upset more than expanding their audience.

I believe there was no need for Dark Souls II to be rated Mature as there was no Quelaag type boss or anything like that?
There is that Scorpion lady but I don't think you can see her breasts.
Also less blood explosions on backstabs and parries.

About games being AO, I never understood the stigma for that rating. The precipice on which it stands just gets pushed further and further back as M gets more and more broad. There are plenty of unrated VN's or indie games that would definitely get an AO because of blatant sex scenes, though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Why do people care so much about ESRB ratings? They are very inconsistent and they really do not matter to most people when it comes to purchases.
I assume because they want to be careful of what their kids play or don't want to play the game with kids around. I never play M-rated games when my younger 12-year-old sister is around or awake. Plus my parents were actually aware of the rating system when I was growing up & I barely played any M-rated games until I was in high school, & even then, they would question some T-rated games. Wasn't until I was about 16 or so when they felt I was mature enough to play mature games.

It's the part where Athena was a little girl & her mom got injured, so she took her over & placed her on a robot repair machine because she figured it would "fix mom up like with the robots". You don't see it happen, but it's heavily implied, especially with a picture of young Athena having a creepy smile, her eyes devoid of pupils, & blood on her face.

ooooohhhh, yes, I agree. That was pretty dark. I don't know if it deserves an M rating for it, though, it's hardly in line with what they usually give that rating for.

What I've learned from this thread already though is that the whole thing is subjective. We can break it down all we want but it always comes down to whatever the people who distribute these ratings decide on a case by case basis.

what?

Anyway, Halo is most likely M solely because of the flood. There's some pretty heavy dismemberment there, all with it's own green goo. Also, in Halo 1, you can continuously melee enemies after they've been killed. After a while you'll be in a pool of blood that's almost comically large.

What I mean is that publishers may at times pay to have the rating changed since it has been rumored that Warner Brothers fights hard to keep the Arkham games in the T rating no matter how violent and brutal the games are. Similarly, Microsoft may have a desire for Halo to be considered a Mature game since they know kids are drawn to whatever their parents may feel is inappropriate

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I believe there was no need for Dark Souls II to be rated Mature as there was no Quelaag type boss or anything like that?

There are some serious fucked up things in Dark Souls II that almost rivals Silent Hill

MazeHaze

Banned
It's also interesting that they sometimes change a games rating after it's already released. I'm pretty sure the standard edition of the original Soul Reaver in North America was rated T, but the greatest hits version is rated M.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member

Not the first time a Capcom game got rated M just for exactly one endgame scene either. Bionic Commando Rearmed is pretty tame overall; it got a M only because of the infamous exploding Hitler head. GRIN stated they could have removed it to bring the rating down but didn't want to upset the BC fans.

It's also interesting that they sometimes change a games rating after it's already released. I'm pretty sure the standard edition of the original Soul Reaver in North America was rated T, but the greatest hits version is rated M.
A good example is the PS2 Ratchet & Clank games (released pre-E10+), rated T on the PS2 but more appropriately E10+ on the PS3 HD collection.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
The first thing that comes to mind is the Smash series. I always thought it was weird that Melee and especially Brawl got Teen ratings.

The second thing that comes to mind is Mega Man Battle Network 2. Swearing, suitcase bombs, telling people to go suck on momma's milk,
plane hijacking less than a year after 9/11
, and it got an E rating.

ooooohhhh, yes, I agree. That was pretty dark. I don't know if it deserves an M rating for it, though, it's hardly in line with what they usually give that rating for.

What I've learned from this thread already though is that the whole thing is subjective. We can break it down all we want but it always comes down to whatever the people who distribute these ratings decide on a case by case basis.

In AA5's case, I think a lot of it has to do with not what's portrayed directly, but where and how it's being portrayed.

Explosions are generally considered weapons of "terror" and that automatically bumps it up, but coupled with the fact that the primary bombing in the game takes place in a courtroom (a federal building) and suddenly it's a much greater offense in a lot of people's eyes.

Pharaun

I'm always kind of surprised that Majora's Mask got an E rating. Sure it sticks to Zelda formula of cartoony violence, but the story and some of the side quests in it are downright depressing/disturbing.

okayfrog

Banned
But aren't enemies trying to machine gun him down? Every time the player fails he is killed.

There's a difference between the player doing the killing and the player getting killed. Not to mention when Batman dies, there isn't a burst of blood or anything gruesome. It's just him falling over.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

About games being AO, I never understood the stigma for that rating. The precipice on which it stands just gets pushed further and further back as M gets more and more broad. There are plenty of unrated VN's or indie games that would definitely get an AO because of blatant sex scenes, though.

The reason a lot of pubs dont want it to hit AO is that a lot of big box retailers will refuse to carry AO titles, which is a big chunk of change.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The reason a lot of pubs dont want it to hit AO is that a lot of big box retailers will refuse to carry AO titles, which is a big chunk of change.
Not to mention Nintendo, Sony, & Microsoft don't allow AO games on their consoles. Only place is PC because there's no one to turn them down (maybe Steam now, but there's still ways to release an AO PC game).

While this discussion is somewhat interesting, I honestly don't think about ESRB ratings at all and have never put any thought into comparing ratings of different games.

May be because I'm old enough to play what I want and don't have kids yet.

This. I think Steam is against it as well... it's kind of sending your game out to die. Most "adult" games don't even bother with the ESRB anyways... Not only were their games never going to get anything besides AO, there is no regulation that states they need a rating to sell their game at all.

Yeah but like, why. Why's it such a big deal for a game to be AO. Devs already push it as far as they can on some games like Manhunt, GTA and Dante's Inferno.

flkraven

So here is an interesting thought: Will we see an influx in AO games on next-gen consoles as bigger, digital only releases become popular? Or is it taboo across the industry now.

Not to mention Nintendo, Sony, & Microsoft don't allow AO games on their consoles. Only place is PC because there's no one to turn them down (maybe Steam now, but there's still ways to release an AO PC game).

Ah, didn't know this.

This. I think Steam is against it as well... it's kind of sending your game out to die. Most "adult" games don't even bother with the ESRB anyways... Not only were their games never going to get anything besides AO, there is no regulation that states they need a rating to sell their game at all.

That's true. Want to sell an eroge game, a Visual Novel or the like, and there's no reason to even get a rating.

So here is an interesting thought: Will we see an influx in AO games on next-gen consoles as bigger, digital only releases become popular? Or is it taboo across the industry now.

Pretty sure all of the big 3 console manufacturers are against such games on their platforms period. Also, as I said above, if your game is going to get an AO rating, there is VERY VERY VERY little incentive to even bother with the ESRB... That's just another cost to incur to essentially be "black listed". There is no law in the US that says you have to have a game rated (though many people have tried in congress over the years).

I assume because they want to be careful of what their kids play or don't want to play the game with kids around. I never play M-rated games when my younger 12-year-old sister is around or awake. Plus my parents were actually aware of the rating system when I was growing up & I barely played any M-rated games until I was in high school, & even then, they would question some T-rated games. Wasn't until I was about 16 or so when they felt I was mature enough to play mature games.

I know people who used to take ratings seriously until they found out Halo was rated on the same level as Saw games when the game is on the same level as Star Wars.

Why don't you play when your 12 year old sister is awake or around? Plenty of kids turn out fine after playing Call of Duty

Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (Metal Gear Solid on GBC in the West) is rated E.

Now... there is no explicitly shown gore or swearing in that game. But anybody who's played it and remembers some of the events of the cutscenes and a few of the bosses will know how insane that rating is.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Although it got changed with the rerelease, the Super Nintendo version of Earthbound being E was an odd choice.
It's kind of interesting to see a game's rating &/or descriptions get changed with a release. Sonic Adventure 2 is a good example:

Dreamcast: E for Violence
GCN re-release: E for Violence & Mild Lyrics
XBLA/PSN re-release: E10+ for Mild Cartoon Violence & Mild Lyrics

Oh yeah, & OoT is another example:

Ocarina of Time on N64 & Wii VC: E for Violence
OoT 3D on 3DS: E10+ for Animated Blood, Fantasy Violence, & Suggestive Themes

Guess it's a sign that ESRB can be a bit more strict at times.

okayfrog

Banned

On next-gen consoles, hell no. As others have already mentioned, the big three have staunch policies against AO games.

On Steam, sadly no. I've heard about them allowing some VN's but having the people edit out the sexual content/nudity. Very disappointing.

GeoramA

Love Uncharted, but how it gets away with a T rating baffles me. Guess it's the same reason the Indiana Jones movies are PG-13.

Top Bottom