• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games ruined by creator's politics

Adnor

Banned
No, homosexuality is sincerely an uncomfortable thing to me for personal reasons.

I'm pretty sure a gay couple wouldn't like to share a seat in the bus with you too if they knew your opinion, so don't worry.

Or maybe they'd make out in front of you just to make you even more uncomfortable.

This is the last one I'll answer...

It is different to put me in a world where those people exist(exactly like the world we live in); however, to put me into the shoes of those people that do things that offend me and have me act out the types of things that they do is what's upsetting.

For example, there were supposed rapists in Tomb Raider, but did they put you into the shoes of that person and have you commit rape?

Did you... did you just compare playing as a gay character to playing as a rapist?

Easy_D

never left the stone age

It is different to put me in a world where those people exist(exactly like the world we live in); however, to put me into the shoes of those people that do things that offend me and have me act out the types of things that they do is what's upsetting.

For example, there were supposed rapists in Tomb Raider, but did they put you into the shoes of that person and have you commit rape?

Are you seriously comparing love between two people of the same gender to rape? Is that seriously what you're doing? For real? Am I awake right now?

DedValve

Banned
Man I sure hope no one is judging your entire character based on shit you said almost a decade ago in a niche website interview.
Shit i said a decade ago:

Resident evil 5 will be the best game ever and a return to horror
Mario is for babies and as a 13 year old im too old for it
Your all really dumb for not agreeing with me that snake is low tier in smash because i beat my little nephew all the time

Hmmm doesnt seem like i was an incredibly hateful and spiteful person as a kid. Ignorant of course, ive even said some insensitive stuff as little as 3 years ago, but hate speech is just a hell of a jump. Even though your banned i do hope you take the time to read and reread your posts before posting. Thats what the preview button is for.

3 pages turned to 9....and how horrifying the last 6 or so pages must have been going by the posts above me. Holy....just wow.

Just wondering how people feel about HP Lovecraft?

More specifically, Lovecraft inspired games. If you don't support the work of whatever known asshole because you dislike the dude, then theoretically you shouldn't support work directly inspired by another notorious asshole, right?

Fuchsdh

Once you follow his logic and place Fitzroy in the same mental space where you keep MLK, Harriet Tubman, Nat Turner, hell even Makcom X, it falls apart entirely. It's nonsense.
Did you miss the part where Nat Turner indiscriminately killed men, women, and children? The rest didn't actually participate in a revolution.

Salarians

So, to you, controlling Ellie, a girl who happens to like another girl, is the same as playing a rapist in a rape simulator.

Ok.

Edit:
Many games put you in the shoes of a mass murderer.
Games such as... The Last of Us, where you play as a violent and dangerous man who kills several hundred other men over the course of the game.

But don't worry, he's straight.

Krejlooc

Banned

Many games put you in the shoes of a mass murderer.

low-G

I'd play & enjoy a game by Donald Trump & David Duke if it was good.

I can completely separate a creator & their creations... unless they have attacked me very personally.

Kinsei

Banned
More specifically, Lovecraft inspired games. If you don't support the work of whatever known asshole because you dislike the dude, then theoretically you shouldn't support work directly inspired by another notorious asshole, right?

A dead notorious asshole that would see absolutely no benefit from the game. Not really the same thing.

Ratrat

No. Thats dumb. Do you think George R. R. Martin supports every one of Tolkiens political beliefs or Rowling supports C. S. Lewis? Lovecraft is known and inspires for his cosmic horror. I mean, you have authors like Clive Barker who probably wouldn't be writing horror if it weren't for him.

Lynx_7

Are you seriously comparing love between two people of the same gender to rape? Is that seriously what you're doing? For real? Am I awake right now?

The sad thing is I've read that kind of comparison one too many times so I can't even say I'm shocked.

petghost

Banned
My favorite author Louis Ferdinand Celine was a notorious anti Semite and supporter of Vichy France. Think he got exiled post-war for being a disgrace or something. Still adore his stuff. Same with Wagner who was also an anti Semite. Wonder if it's easier for me to overlook cuz they are super dead.

I've seen some shit tonight.

John Lennon loved two things in life:
  • Peace, and the belief that love is the power that will heal the universe's soul
  • Beating the loving shit out of his first wife
Does that automatically invalidate the dozens of people pouring thousands of hours into the creation of the Beetle's collected catalog?

And that's just one publicly visible piece of dirty laundry.

I can enjoy Sugiyama's beautiful music and what they add to Dragon Quest without endorsing the worldview of any particular person.

Besides, chances are that if you enjoy any current creative collaborative product, there'll be at least one fuckface who's all about Trump. I can still get a chuckle out of a rerun of Fraiser without thinking of Kelsey Grammar in the voting booth.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I heard this developer from The Tomorrow Children, some Massive Duck or something eats puppies. Really awful.
Jk, you're awesome, man!

EDIT: Oh, since the previous post talked about Lennon: He also beat his first child. He used to say that these violent people wanted peace precisely because of the damage violence does. It's pretty incredible.

Lime

Although it's always different people behind the games, the Tom Clancy brand is sickening to me with its fetishization of military technology, its imperialistic version of the US, its gun loving cowboy ideology, and its general support for the powers that be.

televator

Joel commits torture of two men who comply and give him the info he needed... He proceed to kill them both in the end. That kind of stuff really warrants some serious moral reflection in my book... But your line in the sand is 2 little girls kissing. You understand how this is funny?

TheSun

It's a real shame about the kingdom come guy. Heard he was a bit...mnyeah...but dang a gamergater too.
I usually try to disassociate the creators and their work, but there are definitely gonna be exceptions.

He was an enormous racist from a period when many people were enormous racists. I still enjoy some of his work, but the man himself was pretty odious, and some of his work is infected with that.
I remember reading that at the end of his life he started to change some of his worldviews, right? I mean, way too late, but for his period of time quite nice.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What? That's ridiculous. Especially considering long-dead authors.

This cannot be a real post...

NeoGAF needs to be more neutral to both side
Also, fuck this. When "both sides" are being a decent human being and being a disgusting bigot, no, NeoGAF really does not need to be "neutral to both sides".

I heard this developer from The Tomorrow Children, some Massive Duck or something eats puppies. Really awful.
Jk, you're awesome, man!

EDIT: Oh, since the previous post talked about Lennon: He also beat his first child. He used to say that these violent people wanted peace precisely because of the damage violence does. It's pretty incredible.

Hey, I'm limiting my puppy consumption to non-cute breeds

If you stop consuming a product because one creator out of many on a project has political views different from your own, you'd basically have to stop consuming products altogether. Statistically, there are bound to be one or more people on any project whose views you don't know about don't align with yours.

Rather, judge any product on its merits and don't worry about a fraction of one of your pennies winding up in a particular person's wallet.

I mean, this thread started with "this guy actively tries to spread denial of horrific war crimes."

I don't think many people reach that level of "disagreeing with my views" to be honest.

I mean, I like music from a NeoNazi murderer so I'm not necessarily agreeing with the stance, but the DQ composer is a really terrible person too and it seems perfectly reasonable to be affected by that.

Ratrat

I mean, this thread started with "this guy actively tries to spread denial of horrific war crimes."

I don't think many people reach that level of "disagreeing with my views" to be honest.

I mean, I like music from a NeoNazi murderer so I'm not necessarily agreeing with the stance, but the DQ composer is a really terrible person too and it seems perfectly reasonable to be affected by that.
What does that have to do with his point? Im sure there is a few more deplorable people in the 100+ staff members. Same with any game.

gfxtwin

Games have so much creative input from a bunch of different people and sometimes even studios, I think it's hard to put a spotlight on a single person (unless an indie game); plus until recently you usually wouldn't even see a developer voice their opinions outside of maybe a PlayStation demo disk. I think with the direction we're seeing games move, centralising PR around one creative and social media being utilised, more of these controversial topics we're used to seeing in other creative mediums will seep through.

Yeah, I've noticed that many games are attempting to tackle more political subject matter (the most recent Deus Ex being one example). But there have always been several game developers with such a distinct personality and creative talent that they usually manage to give their games a sense of authorship and/or become celebrities to some extent. Ken Levine, Fumito Ueda, Anna Anthropy, Hideo Kojima, American Mcgee, Dan Hauser, Tim Schaffer, Will Wright, etc. Also remember the Itagaki days? Dude was so entertaining, basically the Kanye West or Noel Gallagher of video games.

Foffy

Banned

ZeKir8v.gif

What makes playing as a human being who happens to like a particular type of person really equate it to the same volume as rapists?

You are producing perhaps the worst arguments I have ever seen to back up your views. I am bewildered.

What does that have to do with his point?

His post seemed to be something like "well, everyone has shitty views, you'll soon be left with no media to consume if you avoid all of those people's products."

But propagation of war crime denial seems like a level of shittiness that few actual people meet honestly.

DirtyLarry

If games were truly made by one singular person I believe I would be a whole lot more conscience of all of this. Since they are not, I do not really think about it all that much.

With that said if there is some really truly fucked up shit I do know about the "creator," I will avoid a game, although I cannot think off the top of my head when I have done so.

However as an example, that game Hatred I think it was called (it had a controversy because of not only how violent it was but also because the creator was a known white power dude), I absolutely would never consider purchasing that game based on what I know.

So it really depends on the offense of said "creator." If they are just a huge dick and a pompous asshole and full of themselves, I will still purchase the game. Assholes are fine with me.

If they do have some shady beliefs, primarily if they are are known to be racists or homophobes or any other label that is against any other humans fully expressing themselves freely, fuck them and fuck their game.

I'm not going to swear at you, but understand that when people talk about "privilege," this is the kind of thing they're talking about. Being straight yourself, you do not understand what it feels like to be gay and hear and read people say things like this about you. It's nice to be straight. It really is. And even if you live your entire life without ever realizing it, you're incredibly fortunate that nobody will ever compare you to a rapist for being who you are.

Please think about what your words convey and what it would be like to be on the receiving end of that kind of contempt.

When it comes to games in particular nothing really comes to mind... but now that I know about Doug TenNapel I can definitely say I'll be avoiding any projects of his in the future.

Comparing being gay to being a rapist? Really? I'll be avoiding all of your shit in the future too.

Ratrat

His post seemed to be something like "well, everyone has shitty views, you'll soon be left with no media to consume if you avoid all of those people's products."

But propagation of war crime denial seems like a level of shittiness that few actual people meet honestly.
He's a composer, not the directer or head Squeenix. Also, thats debatable. You go back 70 years and nearly every one is a bigot, you step out of the first world and nearly everyone is a bigot. You either have to ignore them unless their views are part of the media or they are a lead creator or you will be experiencing very little.

A dead notorious asshole that would see absolutely no benefit from the game. Not really the same thing.

Not exactly, he would see historical benefits from work inspired by his work being successful. It would keep his name alive and every creator at some point aim for posterity, I just don't understand why the extend of someone's discomfort around someone's work reside solely on giving that person money.

No. Thats dumb. Do you think George R. R. Martin supports every one of Tolkiens political beliefs or Rowling supports C. S. Lewis? Lovecraft is known and inspires for his cosmic horror. I mean, you have authors like Clive Barker who probably wouldn't be writing horror if it weren't for him.

Yeah, but that's how I feel on this issue, buying someone's work doesn't mean you agree or support their views outside of that artistic creation, unless that work is somehow related to said views. I do understand and respect why someone might think differently though.

This reminds me of people who complain about playing black or female characters in video games. "Can't possibly relate to it!"

Reminds me of when GTA: San Andreas came out and tons of people online were complaining about having to play as a "thug" when they really wanted to play as a mafia guy or whatever. Meanwhile, everybody I knew was ecstatic to have the best GTA yet star a black man and focus on 90s hip hop/rap.

gfxtwin

Weighing in on OP: I can play a game from a developer if I disagree with them politically up to a point. I'm pretty much in the center, politically, so I can appreciate both sides. I won't, for instance, avoid playing the follow up to The Vanishing of Ethan Carter because the creative director kinda defended men's rights a bit. You can do that and not be a terrible person IE Joe Rogan. Some dudes are just kinda macho, and/or support the right to live that lifestyle. I feel like masculinity can be toxic, but if someone's genuine identity is being macho/aggressive than it isn't. The world needs badasses and warriors sometimes, and I'm not so feminist that I'm totally against defending masculinity...up to a point.

And if someone identifies more with the far left, I can enjoy their games, even if the developer says in an interview that he or she strongly dislikes all white cis men or something. I had an anthropology professor in college who I got along with and she felt that way (she compared men to roosters and called the entire class primates for slagging off and not keeping up with the classwork and tests) and I kinda admired her for it, TBH haha. As long as someone's heart is in the right place I usually have a difficult time disliking them or what they do.

But if a dev team or game developer drifts into a form of extremism, like going into the white genocide stuff, saying homosexuality is a sin, or that men are "systematically oppressed by SJW" or something, implies that gay sex is synonymous with prison rape, sends death threats, sympathizes with Isis, etc, I tend to not have the stomach to support them or even take a look/listen to their art. Just feels like I'm wasting my time if the person who made it doesn't even want to attempt being a decent human being.

You just equated homosexuality with people who commit rape and I think you did that knowing the reaction it would cause. What a trash post

oh fuck off.

televator

That's your prerogative, but I find it rather bizarre. The money you gave the creators for buying these products isn't going to be taken away from them if you sell the games, and moreover, Dyack didn't even work on Soul Reaver...

I can accept that you find it bizarre, but I really have a very low tolerence for things that remind me of GG. I just don't wanna look at my game shelf every time and think to myself "Yeah, there's that game that Dyack made... Gamer Gate... Ughh." Soul Reaver was more of a bystander casualty. I could never get into it fully because of the lack of analog control for its platforming sections, so I guess it was already hanging by a thread anyway.

See a lot of people strawmanning Hyde so I'll be his defense force I guess. With the rapist analogy (duuuuude why) I figure he was trying to give an example that would be equally as unpleasant for us to play through as it is for him to play as members of the LGBTQ group. I dont think he was equating the two, though I can see how people misconstrued what he said.

on people attacking him for not enjoying something because of his religious background is as wrong to me as is his stance on lgbt. My best bud in HS was the son of a pastor, and it was not through demeaning and attacking him that I eventually changed his stance on gays. So please withhold from attacking people on this issue and instead come from more of a compassionate side in persuading them.

See a lot of people strawmanning Hyde so I'll be his defense force I guess. With the rapist analogy (duuuuude why) I figure he was trying to give an example that would be equally as unpleasant for us to play through as it is for him to play as members of the LGBTQ group. I dont think he was equating the two, though I can see how people misconstrued what he said.

on people attacking him for not enjoying something because of his religious background is as wrong to me as is his stance on lgbt. My best bud in HS was the son of a pastor, and it was not through demeaning and attacking him that I eventually changed his stance on gays. So please withhold from attacking people on this issue and instead come from more of a compassionate side in persuading them.

I agree with the demeaning and how all it does is make people defensive. Wanted to post something similar to your post myself, but then I saw that post and I think he/she knew exactly what they were saying.

If homosexuals make him as uncomfortable as rapists would make someone else, he can fuck off. That's not a defense. That doesn't make his argument any less shit. And take a walk with this "You must tolerate my intolerance" bullshit. In a perfect world, I think your last argument might hold water. But at some point people get sick of trying to be compassionate or understanding with people that completely lack compassion. At some point it's easier to just tell them to go fuck themselves. Their attitudes and beliefs make them a stain on society and hold back progress. Their attitudes have a very real effect on people's lives. The world would be a better place without people like him, and certainly so would this forum.

If he found those two things equally uncomfortable then he would deserve all the shit he gets. What a terrible attitude.

Top Bottom