• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that run on a Toaster?

Pegasos123

Hey guys,

i have to stay 3 whole days at a sleep laboratory. There they have no wifi or TVs and i am not sure if LTE is available there.

So i will hear a lots of music, take a book with me, maybe i will get the 3DS of my buddy. I also plan to take my macbook pro 15 2014 with me (i7 2,2ghzm 16gb ram, Intel Iris pro)

Can you recomment me some old and new games that run on it, that take a lot of time? I have also Windows 10 on it, so the OS doesnt matter. i bought gothic 2 and AOE2. Maybe i will also buy Dead Cells or Stardew Vally.

What good games can you recomment me?

Unknown?

Well it’s not RPG length but I’d recommend Sonic Mania. Will easily run and a fun game.

Do you like RTS games? Get some classics like RoN and AoEII(edit I should read lol), they are always fun and last a long time. Rollercoaster Tycoon is a fun classic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grimmrobe

Factorio runs on pretty much anything, and is a good pick to sink loads of time into. It's even more fun when played with friends though, so if you have any of those save it for when you can get them to join you.

bati

Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition or UnderRail if you like RPGS. Both work on a toaster, I played them on an old laptop (about 4-5 years old, i3 cpu, integrated intel gpu) this summer and had no issues, although I did have to run BG2EE in OpenGL mode if I remember correctly. Both are very deep and very long rpgs - 3 days might actually not be enough to finish either of them.

waylo

Banned
Darkest Dungeon should run on just about anything and is a fantastic time sink. You may however wind up with a broken laptop due to rage.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I’m sure Skyrim will be running on a toaster in a few years

On topic: Baldurs Gate 2 EE is a good choice

Last edited:
Pretty sure these all will:
  • River City Ransom: Underground (beat 'em up, successor to the NES game)
  • Monolith (think Isaac/Gungeon but a little more shmup focus with weapons/enemy attacks)
  • Iconoclasts (Metroidvania)
  • Dandara (Metroidvania - unique movement style)
  • Night in the Woods (Story-heavy)
  • Papers, Please (Story/interesting mechanics)
  • Guacamelee (Metroidvania)
  • Darkwood (Slow-burn survival horror)
  • Shovel Knight (Platformer)
  • Stephen's Sausage Roll (Puzzler)
  • Titan Souls (~action puzzler)
  • Environmental Station Alpha (Metroid)
  • Super Hydorah (Shmup)

Oemenia

Banned
Most 360 era games will run nicely and look better on your system. You have plenty of choice.

Also GameCube emulation works well on integrated GPUs.

gspat

Aren't you supposed to be sleeping?

Maybe VLC and all the extended Lord of the rings/Hobbit movies to knock you out?

That would do it for me...

Pegasos123

Aren't you supposed to be sleeping?

Maybe VLC and all the extended Lord of the rings/Hobbit movies to knock you out?

That would do it for me...

only at night of corse ;-) but i have to stay at the hospital the whole 3 days. I am not allowed to leave at daytime

Last edited:

Silvawuff

Terraria, Undertale, Freedom Planet, Owlboy, Rain World. Terraria is probably the longest of the bunch, and has the most to keep you occupied. It's a fun game, you can pick literally anywhere, dig down, have an adventure and discover something new.

Do You like visual novels? They will run even on potato class pc and in this case they get bonus points for not needing proper pc controls (i assume you won't) have space foe mouse etc.
Allso stuff like FTL

God Enel

Buy a game boy with Tetris.

Alternative hollow knight. Three days are enough to finish it. And I think it will run on your system easily.

Snake017

Minecraft, Factorio, Prison Architect, Rimworld, Open RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 (free),Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe(free),Age of empires 2 HD, if you can find it and have a gamepad: Streets of Rage Remake

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
Half Life, Portal and Left 4 Dead. Pretty much any Valve devloped game runs well on intergrated graphics, no doubt with some of the settings dialed back a little. I would have thought most 2D indie games would fair well and certainly classics like Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Divine Divinity and such, which are also very lengthy as well.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2.

Age of Empires 2 or 3 Complete

Soul Reaver 1 and 2

You could also look on GOG. There's quite a few titles on there.

You could play Heroes of Might & Magic III. I like that one. Beyond Good & Evil could work too.

I wonder if you could play Chronicles of Riddick, the double pack with the original and Escape from Butcher Bay

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Fallout new Vegas
GTA5
Resident evil 4,5,6
The orange box

Inside + limbo
Brothers: A tale of two sons (requires a controller to play)

Algorum

Neo Member
By toaster I’m assuming the worst but I’ll recommend some games that run even on early 2000s PCs.

Knights of the old republic (original as the 2nd is more resource heavy.)
Evil genius
Half life 1
Star craft 1
Hearthstone (believe me it works)
FF7, 8, 9 and pretty much all the older ones through steam (numbered FF titles)
Fallout shelter
Kingdoms: New Lands
The original black & white
Stardew Valley (though it tends to studder a bit on much older hardware)

Shifty

Shenzhen I/O fits the criteria if you're down for a game that makes you think. It's about moving to china and building electronics, and is built in a super light engine that'll run on whatever.

Gameplay-wise you get given a specification, then have to construct a circuit board out of various parts, some of which are programmable.

For example, this is a blueprint from early in the game for a fake security camera. The 'active' pin toggles a LED on and off at a consistent rate, and the 'network' pin flashes another LED in a semi-random pattern to make it look like it's uploading data.

d41a161b2e3886611f82096c55a7ca12.png

It's a great game if logic puzzles are your thing. Programming knowledge isn't required as the language is super simple and documented, and there's a ton of variety in the stuff that you build and the parts you use to build it.

It also has some quality character banter to keep you entertained between projects:

f79ee66e6020548090884903c4801973.png

Last edited:

Livia

Off topic here, but I want to play Portal 2 on Steam and I have a Macbook Air. Is it possible to play this game without lagging and such?

Kadayi

Banned
You can run steam offline and there are a load of low-end games that would be ideal. things like BG1 or 2 as mentioned could be good, however, if you are after something different you could look at interactive fiction like Choice of Robots: -

http://store.steampowered.com/app/339350/Choice_of_Robots/

Or

http://store.steampowered.com/app/524540/Samurai_of_Hyuga/

Choice of games has a whole host of titles covering everything from superheroes to Steampunk settings

Puzzle games wise I can strongly recommend the Hexcells games (3 game bundle is about £6)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/265890/Hexcells/

First one is decent, but the second one will stretch your brain. 3rd is challenging but doesn't quite hit the highs of Hexcells plus.

Be curious to hear about how the sleep study goes. That kind of stuff interests me (I'd love to be in a position to do something like the month-long studies you occasionally hear about).

Last edited:

DonF

Allso stuff like FTL
+1 on FTL faster than light. It cheap and virtually limitless. Also runs on anything. Its exactly what you are looking for if you are into that kind of game. I recommend that you give it a try. The game doesn't look like much, you have to play it to understand it.

Top Bottom