• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that scared you as a kid

Woggleman

I remember this game for Atari called Microsurgeon that looked like this.

surg-02.png

When I was a little kid there was a catalog I had with some video games and it had a screenshot of this and I threw the catalog away and had nightmares about it for a few days. It sounds silly but I was five years old at the time.

SenkiDala

Honestly, none... I played RE1 I was already 13, and Silent Hill 15, I guess I was too old to be scared by a game. I've never ever been scared by a game.

(I've been scared by Alien when I was like 5/6yo)

DonJorginho

Banned
Cursed Mountain and RE4 on the Nintendo Wii, fucking scared the shit out of me as a kid, but RE4 on the Wii ended up being the first horror game I ever completed and I was in love with the genre ever since.

The OG RE2...still to this day, certain scares still make me jump sometimes. Zombies in the hall with their arms reaching out, Licker glass wall, etc. OG RE3 when the Nemesis kicked in. Dino Crisis T Rex. ZombiU nursery...dreading making it up to that part of the game in my current replay lol.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
How about the time I went to the hospital because of a Nickelodeon game?

The year is 1995, and I’m playing Are You Afraid of the Dark on a Windows 3.1 PC. It’s a point and click adventure that’s designed for kids, so it’s not exactly “scary”, but it pretends it is.

Well, there’s this one part of the game where you click on a wax skeleton to inspect it, and as you leave the room it comes to life and starts chasing you. Keep in mind, this is a point and click adventure, so there’s no real animation, just a few stills.

Well, with the suspenseful music wailing in the background, I furiously clicked my way from room to room, trying to escape this skeleton that I couldn’t even see. Not understanding how point and click games really worked, I assumed if I just clicked as fast as I could, I’d get away.

Well, suddenly, I hit a dead end and I had to turn around. My heart was pounding, and my face was mere inches away from my gigantic 14” CRT monitor. Assuming I had built up quite a bit of distance between myself and the skeleton, I did the only thing I could, and turned my character around 180 to try a different path.

THEN OUT OF NOWHERE the skeleton INSTANTLY appeared up close on my screen, I believe accompanied by a loud scream or sound. It was my first experience with a computer “screamer”. I instinctively PUSHED away from the desk with both arms as hard as possible, when the wheels of the computer chair caught on the carpet behind, which instantly flipped myself and the chair backwards. That’s when the back of my head CRACKED off of the corner of the coffee table and immediately started bleeding.

Shocked, in pain, and probably with a little poop in my pants, I started crying and my parents rushed me straight to the emergency room where I got 5 stitches.

Don’t fuck with Nickelodeon games.

Last edited:
First game to startle me was when the dog jumped through the window in Resident Evil.
My friend knowingly waited for my reaction. I did not disappoint.

The first Bioshock is the only game to give me the Heebee Jeebee's. There was a point in the game when I'm waist deep water leaking in, creaking sounds, The music playing Papa Loves Mambo in the background. My skin started crawling

Pejo

How about the time I went to the hospital because of a Nickelodeon game?

The year is 1995, and I’m playing Are You Afraid of the Dark on a Windows 3.1 PC. It’s a point and click adventure that’s designed for kids, so it’s not exactly “scary”, but it pretends it is.

Well, there’s this one part of the game where you click on a wax skeleton to inspect it, and as you leave the room it comes to life and starts chasing you. Keep in mind, this is a point and click adventure, so there’s no real animation, just a few stills.

Well, with the suspenseful music wailing in the background, I furiously clicked my way from room to room, trying to escape this skeleton that I couldn’t even see. Not understanding how point and click games really worked, I assumed if I just clicked as fast as I could, I’d get away.

Well, suddenly, I hit a dead end and I had to turn around. My heart was pounding, and my face was mere inches away from my gigantic 14” CRT monitor. Assuming I had built up quite a bit of distance between myself and the skeleton, I did the only thing I could, and turned my character around 180 to try a different path.

THEN OUT OF NOWHERE the skeleton INSTANTLY appeared up close on my screen, I believe accompanied by a loud scream or sound. It was my first experience with a computer “screamer”. I instinctively PUSHED away from the desk with both arms as hard as possible, when the wheels of the computer chair caught on the carpet behind, which instantly flipped myself and the chair backwards. That’s when the back of my head CRACKED off of the corner of the coffee table and immediately started bleeding.

Shocked, in pain, and probably with a little poop in my pants, I started crying and my parents rushed me straight to the emergency room where I got 5 stitches.

Don’t fuck with Nickelodeon games.
You have a talent for illustrating with words, that was a fun read.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
So many... but 11th Hour really got to me for some reason.

MV5BZjdmZDg4YTMtNDY0Ni00MmIxLTgwN2EtNjUyYTJiNjc0ZTc4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAwMTI1MDM@._V1_.jpg
ss_508117b6d7a3eef28b9473ad1f1f6d858c9b73ca.1920x1080.jpg

Long before that, I had an uneasy feeling playing some very early adventure games. Parts of Pool of Radiance scared me a bit, partly because it was so mysterious when I first picked it up.

ss_9cfaff37c7ab967f7663e066607a04d9e367d2b0.1920x1080.jpg

And I never actually played it, but walking past this horrifying and brutal little arcade game Chiller used to bother me.
EhFWUYQXkAAUejn.jpg:large
hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I remember this game for Atari called Microsurgeon that looked like this.

surg-02.png

When I was a little kid there was a catalog I had with some video games and it had a screenshot of this and I threw the catalog away and had nightmares about it for a few days. It sounds silly but I was five years old at the time.
Oh wow. That must be the inspiration for The Anniversary's first album.

9lStOyQ.png

Hunter 99

Resident evil 2 ps1...
My dad brought it for me randomly one night after he finished work and I couldn't even get past kendos shop without my heart beating through my chest (I didn't understand you had to reserve resources and not kill every zombie) so had already wasted all my bullets and running around with the knife.
The music was enough for me to just turn it off,I could just about play it during the day but it was terrifying. I was like 7 years old at the time haha

SLESS

This game because it was so similar to Aliens which terrified me…

Filben

Tomb Raider 1 and to some degree 2. The minimal music, the sound effects, the maze-like level design and loneliness. Especially under water parts.

Soul Reaver. The horror gothic design and characters, especially the bosses.

I still loved all of these games and played them heavily but they simultaneously scared me.

Vandole

On the original Legend of Zelda, the music for the Death Mountain labyrinth was too intense and scary for me. First time I got there I got overwhelmed and turned off the game. When I finally beat it, I had to keep the volume off as I played.

Top Bottom