• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that support keyboard & mouse on PS4

Freeman

Banned
Is there a list of those games? Now that PS4 has F2P and more MMOs I can see this becoming more popular.

Hopefully this could open the door for some genres that usually only show up on PCs to also be released for consoles.

Man, PS3 supported kb+m but only like 2 games supported it or something.

It's a bit more work to do it, but with the amount of dev time they are saving with PS4 being easy to develop for, they should do it if it makes sense for their game.

It's a bit more work to do it, but with the amount of dev time they are saving with PS4 being easy to develop for, they should do it if it makes sense for their game.
Lol. I think you're missing a key idea here.

mao2

Yeah, it's disappointing that game genres like FPS and RTS don't support keyboard and mouse on consoles.

impact

Banned
Yeah, it's disappointing that game genres like FPS and RTS don't support keyboard and mouse on consoles.

It's unfair to 99.9% of the players, since they'd be using pad. If you wanna use m/kb on FPS and RTS then you game on PC anyway.

It's unfair to 99.9% of the players, since they'd be using pad. If you wanna use m/kb on FPS and RTS then you game on PC anyway.

Intelligence > controller format. No amount of speed with a mouse would let the majority of console gamers beat me at an FPS.

Also, on the subject of keyboards and consoles -- can someone agree with me all console multiplayer should have text chat just like PC? Kthx.

Freeman

Banned
You could say its unfair to those that like M/KB better. Not all games are competitive and you could also give an option to no be matched with M/KB players if you are not up for the challenge.

I think the lack of support is a loss for console only gamers in the end, they miss great titles because of it. It also is a loss for PC players in a way, because there is less incentive to come up with solutions that would allow for mouse/keyboard precision while sitting on the couch. Settling for aim assist and lock on is just giving up.

mao2

Is it really unfair? I mean, fighting games allow players to choose either fighting stick or game pad, while many driving games have support for both steering wheel and game pad. And as Freeman mentioned above, they can always add an option to only allow matches using the same controller type.

213372bu

Banned
Is it really unfair? I mean, fighting games allow players to choose either fighting stick or game pad, while many driving games have support for both steering wheel and game pad. And as Freeman mentioned above, they can always add an option to only allow matches using the same controller type.

Play Counter-Strike GO on a pad ahaha. Fighting gamepads are obviously different for fighting games. Adding an option to include/exclude/default will divide the playerbase by 3, and would lead to a dead community.

molnizzle

The only way controller/mouse segregation would work is if a game was cross platform between PSN, XBL and PC. So basically it wouldn't work.

For MMO's I'm all for it. Or even co-op games like Warframe. Competitive FPS... no.

impact

Banned

The difference is really huge. You still see pad players show up at fighting game tournaments and beat other pros using sticks. You will never see a player show up to a FPS tournament on PC with a controller. It's not even a close comparison at all.

Freeman

Banned
The difference is really huge. You still see pad players show up at fighting game tournaments and beat other pros using sticks. You will never see a player show up to a FPS tournament on PC with a controller. It's not even a close comparison at all.
You will also never see a NBA player showing up for a game with his hands tied behind his back.

The only way controller/mouse segregation would work is if a game was cross platform between PSN, XBL and PC. So basically it wouldn't work.

For MMO's I'm all for it. Or even co-op games like Warframe. Competitive FPS... no.
PSN and PC cross-platform multiplayer is already a thing. I think there is a lot of value in this for both sides.

mao2

Play Counter-Strike GO on a pad ahaha. Fighting gamepads are obviously different for fighting games. Adding an option to include/exclude/default will divide the playerbase by 3, and would lead to a dead community.

I see... Well, I've played C&C: Red Alert 3 and Borderlands on the PS3 and wished that they supported keyboard and mouse. Playing with game pad feels awkward and unintuitive. :/

Intelligence > controller format. No amount of speed with a mouse would let the majority of console gamers beat me at an FPS.

Also, on the subject of keyboards and consoles -- can someone agree with me all console multiplayer should have text chat just like PC? Kthx.

Well aren't you just a humble person.

impact

Banned
I see... Well, I've played C&C: Red Alert 3 and Borderlands on the PS3 and wished that they supported keyboard and mouse. Playing with game pad feels awkward and unintuitive. :/

While I don't think it's a bad idea for non-competitive games, the developers just don't see it worth implementing and taking the extra resources for a feature that .1% of buyers would use. Once again, if you're interested in mouse/keyboard then you should just get a gaming PC. You have a plethora of control options on PC.

Most console shooters employ multiple aim assist mechanics to make their games play well on dual-analog controllers. It is extremely challenging to balance a complex network of algorithms built around input from an analog stick against mouse input. They're different worlds.

Chettlar

Banned

Doesn't mean that you can't have the game allow it for singleplayer stuff and disallow it for multiplayer.

More games need to do this. PS4 and Xbox One. Would love it if we could get things like Halo with mouse support, even if only for singleplayer.

Most console shooters employ multiple aim assist mechanics to make their games play well on dual-analog controllers. It is extremely challenging to balance a complex network of algorithms built around input from an analog stick against mouse input. They're different worlds.

PC games do it, why can't console games? You just have it recognize the mouse, and switch input settings (no or minimal aim assist, etc.)

Does anyone on here ever play FPS games on the PC with a trackball? I recently switched over from mouse to a trackball for my work computer but I still play FPS on my PC with a mouse. Haven't played FPS lately enough to want to try with my trackball but I might give it a shot...

Maybe using trackballs for FPS is just too unwieldy - I have no clue about this and was wondering if anyone knows whether this is done or not. But if it can work well after the initial learning curve then I wonder why a trackball-like peripheral never became popular for use with consoles?

EDIT: I did some quick research online and it seems that finger-controlled trackballs have been used by some people with good effect on PC, but that overall probably using a trackball takes a lot more time to master. I guess I've always wondered why the trackball (in general) never became the standard over a mouse anyway but maybe this is more like a Betamax versus VHS type argument...

Top Bottom