• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don’t console embrace mouse and keyboard more?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I think OPs argument here is that it makes a lot of sense financially for studios to support KB/M on console as an option. It costs little given that the controls are already mapped out and it might get more people who prefer PC gaming to play on Console. Could also open up people playing various genres on console that just play much better with a kb/m.

Not everything has to be a silver bullet.
Exactly. Yet moron pushishers still think people prefer and/or migrate to PC because of GrApHiCs.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
A lot of developers have engines with very poor support for mouse + keyboard, and UI that only works with controllers.
Source??? I find hard to believe a single engine that fails to have m+kb support and can't think of any game UI that only works with controllers.

Exactly. Yet moron pushishers still think people prefer and/or migrate to PC because of GrApHiCs.

I think there are a lot of reasons why people play on PC

• KB/M
  • Long history of games they can play on one platform
  • Ability to modify games
  • A lot more hardware options
  • Wide screen support
  • Better graphics, resolution, vrr implemntation, upscaling
  • Better integration with things like discord and twitch
  • More compatible with video capture cards
  • More control over how the game plays
  • Bigger discounts on the games

I think there are things that can be replicated on consoles that just aren't.

I think the PS5 Pro will outclass 80% of most gaming rigs, but the customization of the game, modification of the game, is likely to be out of reach.

I think as BC stays part of the platform now, that history will grow.

I think Sony can try to put premium hardware out as an option.

Discord and twitch support I think are already improving.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

• KB/M
  • Wide screen support

I think the PS5 Pro will outclass 80% of most gaming rigs, but the customization of the game, modification of the game, is likely to be out of reach.

Sure all that counts too, but for some exclusives, I bet tons of people would care more about them if they had just better "inputs" support. I can't care less for games like Horizon Forbidding West after playing Zero Dawn with mouse+kb.

It's uncomfortable^^
Then you are using them wrong. It's more comfortable as you don't need claw grip and don't even need to hold anything in your hands.

Last edited:

BlackTron

It's a common practice to support first and foremost the DEFAULT input method in any platform you develop for.

The DEFAULT input method for consoles is the gamepad
The DEFAULT input method for PC is mouse + keyboard
The DEFAULT input method for mobile is the touch screen

ANYTHING ELSE is extra work and NOT GUARANTEED for the end consumer to have readily available.

You people are assuming every developer use Unreal Engine and has that feature available out of the box.
A lot of developers have engines with very poor support for mouse + keyboard, and UI that only works with controllers.

They usually outsource the PC porting to other companies, as some companies lack the time and personnel to get the job done.

When it comes to mouse/kb on console I am almost always narrowly thinking of FPS games (where it makes a difference). Which are almost entirely made for PC and then ported to console. I'm not referring to cases where a console exclusive third person action adventure platformer was later ported to PC, which has a good excuse not to be arsed updating the original version.

I can see why a dev wouldn't go back to patch in kb/mouse controls for a 3D Mario clone that later made it to PC. But why deprive mouse/kb for a FPS game that already has both mouse and controller on PC. Doesn't make any sense

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I use kb mouse on a mattress and you think it's awkward use on a couch?

Those "designed for games" controllers still suffers more with deficiencies for games than kb+mouse not designed for games. The irony.

Build a tiny tower.

But how can I fit a 4090 in that?

HTK

Banned
I know some of you live in a box, but there are plenty of console owners including myself that have always played on a monitor behind a desk. There are times I game on TV but that's only when I'm playing a single player game.

Anyway, OP is right. No reason why some of these games that are cross-play, cross-platform don't have MnK support. I know CoD has it not sure about others. Diablo 4 should have it if it already doesn't, this should be part of accessibility in general.

Sure all that counts too, but for some exclusives, I bet tons of people would care more about them if they had just better "inputs" support. I can't care less for games like Horizon Forbidding West after playing Zero Dawn with mouse+kb.

Then you are using them wrong. It's more comfortable as you don't need claw grip and don't even need to hold anything in your hands.

Even getting like 5% more interest in a game due to KBM would make it worth it.

Skifi28

It's something I've always wondered. Most people will probably not care, but If the consoles already supports m&k and you already have a PC version where you've done the hard part, why not just include it in the port?

JimboJones

It's something I've always wondered. Most people will probably not care, but If the consoles already supports m&k and you already have a PC version where you've done the hard part, why not just include it in the port?
Same thing that's always bugged me about split screen in console game but not included in PC version (borderlands/diablo4) but I'm assuming the answer is it's different dev teams prioritizing different perceived strengths of whatever platform they work on?

Joramun

• KB/M
  • Wide screen support

Just adding another important reason:

You don't need to pay for a subscription to play online multiplayer

Audiophile

Gold Member
Mouse & KB are more effective/performant at the top end but less practical for relaxing play and I personally find them to be less enjoyable. Controller is a more organic experience.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Also, if M&KB is promoted as compatible devices then all the sales console makers get from selling gamepads gets less and less.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
But why deprive mouse/kb for a FPS game that already has both mouse and controller on PC. Doesn't make any sense
Yeah, usually from PC->Console is a less painful path, since the developer probably already supports most input methods.
But even then, every platform has their own set of APIs that the developer has to take into account.

One non-technical reason might be to put everyone on the same level (for multiplayer games), having skill dictated only by the default input method to make things more "fair".

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I'm saving the world, not creating a spreadsheet.

671b3c4863ea859d9772fc8d76720109e18b2c0f_00.gif

Venom Snake

Because controllers are more convenient in most typical console titles. I only use kb+m in RTS games, the rest is just couch+Dual Sense and that suits me perfectly. I wouldn't want to play Monster Hunter on a fucking keyboard.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Console games and especially competitive ones should add support for kb+m. Controller players would whittle away by a Darwinian selection-like process.
Funny... Competitive Call of Duty, Apex Legends and Fortnite are dominated by controller players - on PC...

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Because I tend to play reclined on my couch at night. I sit at a desk at work. Last thing I want to do is go home and do that some more.

Plus I get to fool around on the couch with the wife, while the kids are sleeping upstairs. Not that this has much to do with the question. Just wanted to share.

Last edited:

IAmRei

I dont think playing in couch or bean bag with keyboard is enjoyable. Even in pc i'm using controller. Maybe it just me, but i prefer games played with controller. Maybe because i'm living with console since kid.

Xenon

Pretend to hold a keyboard and mouse and push your hands together... nothing

Pretend like you are holding a controller, push your hands together until your thumbs and index fingers touch each other. Now slowly rotate your index fingers up toward you, while lowering both thumbs... you will find your answer

Lex Tenebris

Neo Member
The starting question ask why console doesn't embrace mk, not why console gamer don't use it or don't like it. As far as I can tell Xbox fully supports them, in the dashboard just the keyboard, and it's just a choice of the developers to add support or not in games.
Everyone have their personal preferences in regards of input methods, personally I prefer controllers for the majority of games, but sometimes I feel that I would play more comfortably with mk (civilization, age of empires, and so on)

chilichote

I'm pretty sure I know how to use a mouse and keyboard. It's just not as convenient as with a controller; I don't sit at a desk, I lie/sit on the couch or bed.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
But how can I fit a 4090 in that?
Like this.

Because it makes no sense, if you really want to use a mouse and keyboard get a pc
How do I play Horizon Forbidden West with native m+kb on PC?

I'm pretty sure I know how to use a mouse and keyboard. It's just not as convenient as with a controller; I don't sit at a desk, I lie/sit on the couch or bed.
I lie on a bed with m+kb and controller.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Apart from some people on Neogaf that I see pictures of, I know LITERALLY no one in real life who has their console placed on their desk.

This is just a guess, but I'd say at least 90% of all console users have their consoles under their TV, making KB/M setups pointless.

And that's besides the obvious, if you want KB/M, why not just get a PC?
I would guess close enough to 100% that it makes no sense for devs to spend resources on KB/M support. Fuck I have used my PC as a "console" for 12 years and won't even try to use KB/M. I like the big screen experience. Last game I played in PC mode on a desk was Divinity II and Witcher 2 was one of the early games I played on a PC hooked up to a TV.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Controllers are literally PART of what a game console is.

People seem to have forgotten the prior to PC, home computer gaming was based on keyboard and Joystick. Mice didn't even come along til the mid eighties, after controllers were established in the early 80's as part of the third generation of consoles.

It always cracks me up when PC guys talk like they have history on their side when they are actually the late-comers to the party.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Did we have shooters, RTSs, "WoWs" and analog sticks in the 80's on consoles?

What's your point? Many joysticks were analog going back to the 70's! The Atari VCS was an oddity in that it had a digital joystick, which became the paradigm for the home computer era.

As to genre types, off the top of my head I can think of Ozark Softworks' M.U.L.E as an early multiplayer RTS game, there were first-person maze games before that too. Obviously something like WoW didn't exist because this is all years before the internet, although of course MUD's were around in the mainframe and BBS days. None of which used mice, because they didn't exist until Steve Jobs raided Xerox Parc for their invention!

Last edited:
Console and PC gamers need a divorce. No more of this m+k support on muh console shit. No more of this "I want Sony ports on muh living room PC" shit. Separate games. Separate inputs. Hell, make separate neogafs.

Last edited:

_Ex_

The only time I remember keyboards being popular with console gamers, was for Phantasy Star Online:

13298_front.jpg
14014_front.jpg
14018_front.jpg

A lot of console gamers used these keyboards to play said game, on Dreamcast, GameCube, and Xbox:

dck.png

gck.png

xbox-keyboard-and-mouse-adapter-16.gif

That's the only instance I can remember keyboards being popular for console gaming.

Top Bottom