• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that tastelessly overuse graphical gimmicks

Oddly enough, I really like this effect in Battlefield. Maybe it's because I wear glasses and my vision can look like that in the right conditions (especially so when I was a manual laborer), so it adds a bit of realism for me.
Same here. I understand that people might not like it, but I really enjoy those effects in that game. Wearing glasses changes everything.

Dryk

The absolute worst:

MassEffect2_2010-05-01_18-46-44-25.jpg

Mass Effect 2.
The worst part about this is that they'rr clearly trying to invoke blood vessels in the eye for a third person game. Noticing that for the first time was really jarring and I still can't for the life of me figure out what the hell they were thinking.

Not sure why everyone is aghast at those who think that the next Zelda will have too much bloom. Mario 3D World, Mario Kart, Wind Waker, and Nintendoland all have too much bloom. Smash Bros Final Destination for a few seconds, even. It's Oblivion all over again.

Dying Of Thirst

Neo Member
The Evil Within is another example of shit filtering. Though the effect actually improved the atmosphere of the game 1 or 2 times it was mostly an annoying feature. I feel that many games that use these types of filters have a development team that can't create tone/mood with just lighting and just use filters.

laxu

Motion blur. When this became viable it seems like every FPS started having a motion blur effect in them, thankfully usually with a setting to turn it off. Most of the time all it did was lower your framerate and blur the image when making sharp turns. Sometimes it was used for tunnel vision when running.

Depth of field is another upcoming thing that's going to get overused. For now it has been just the bane of ReShade/Sweetfx effects (hell, just look at the screenshots threads in this forum and you'll find plenty of it) on PC games but now that the consoles have enough horsepower to use it we will be seeing it applied by developers. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes is a serious offender, you have to mod a file to get rid of the effect on PC and the game is much more pleasant to play after that. I hope that they have a setting for it or severely tone it down in Phantom Pain.

I don't get game developers insistence on replicating every camera anomaly as an effect. Wouldn't the "camera" in most games be the player's eyes, which don't have things like severe motion blur, chromatic aberration and tons of lens flares.

epmode

Depth of field is another upcoming thing that's going to get overused. For now it has been just the bane of ReShade/Sweetfx effects (hell, just look at the screenshots threads in this forum and you'll find plenty of it) on PC games but now that the consoles have enough horsepower to use it we will be seeing it applied by developers. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes is a serious offender, you have to mod a file to get rid of the effect on PC and the game is much more pleasant to play after that. I hope that they have a setting for it or severely tone it down in Phantom Pain.

The thing about DoF is that it's actually great for cutscenes so games that don't provide a separate option for gameplay are *really* annoying.

Top Bottom