• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that you relentlessly defend...

Grug

Raiden said:
Wow...in other words, whos a fanboy here and what for?

Good job thread starter.

That is not the intent of the thread and nor has it headed in that direction.

FOLL TRAILED.

Raiden

Banned
Grug said:
That is not the intent of the thread and nor has it headed in that direction.

FOLL TRAILED.

Yeah whatever Mr.Obvious, but it pretty much sums it up for me. Im not much of a fanboy/troll, but the two things im a pretty dumb fanboy for are Splinter Cell 2 and Burnout 3.

And so does it for alot of other people.

Krowley

for me it's metroid prime and it's sequel... i love those games almost too much, and they get so much heat in certain places (gaf for example).

ToxicAdam

BudokaiMR2 said:
I must be really misinformed because everything I have ever read has pointed to a market crash around that time.

The only company that crashed was Atari. Other gaming devices (Commodore 64, Arcade Machines in particular) had record sales. The other machines (Mattel and Coleco) were already declining before 1983 even occurred.

The 'crash' was due to greedy developers and poor retailer choices (Pricing down 34 dollar games (70 dollars today) to 5 dollars with a month or two of release. Who would ever pay 34 dollars for a game, again?). Imagine if Kameo or PGR3 was already 10 dollars ... would you ever pay 60 dollars for a new game?

So it wasn't like gaming quit happening ... it just happened on different mediums.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Grug said:
Eternal Darkness
Wind Waker
Mario Kart 64
Shenmue
Bushido Blade
Zork: Grand Inquisitor
Deus Ex
Diablo 2
Starsiege:Tribes
Metroid Prime

Who in Christ's cavalcade of munificence is criticizing Diablo 2, Deus Ex and Bushido Blade?!!?

Grug

Stinkles said:
Who in Christ's cavalcade of munificence is criticizing Diablo 2, Deus Ex and Bushido Blade?!!?

I've had to defend these titles over the years against many crazy allegatiations... which have included

Diablo 2: RPG for babies/Warcraft kiddies, mouse clicking simulator...

Deus Ex: FPS/RPG lite for X-Files geeks/conspiracy theorists

Bushido Blade: "OMGWTF no health bars!"!^£!"

Ranger X

It's not about Fanboyism. There are games you really like and sometimes someone makes such a dumb comment or speak out of his ass and you have to correct him/her that's all.

I don't care if someone doesn't like, let's say, Shadow Of The Collosus is he stated some decent reasons. If it's just like "meh, it's stupid, there's nothing to do in the overworld", i cannot value his opinion.
It all end up to people just having biased opinions and that's all. When it's biased, i'll defend my side. If it's not biased (or doesn't sound biased), i'll accept the opinion.

Raiden

Banned
Wyzdom said:
It's not about Fanboyism. There are games you really like and sometimes someone makes such a dumb comment or speak out of his ass and you have to correct him/her that's all.

I don't care if someone doesn't like, let's say, Shadow Of The Collosus is he stated some decent reasons. If it's just like "meh, it's stupid, there's nothing to do in the overworld", i cannot value his opinion.
It all end up to people just having biased opinions and that's all. When it's biased, i'll defend my side. If it's not biased (or doesn't sound biased), i'll accept the opinion.
What are those games that no matter how hard you try, you can't sit idly by when they are being criticised without rising to defend them.

I have dozens of games i love and i can stand being criticised, but some products, like described above, you just cant let it go and have to defend the product.

Too me thats at least some minor sort of fanboyism, cause we're talking about defending it anyhow here. But its just me i guess, i could post another shitload of games i care to defend.

ToxicAdam said:
The only company that crashed was Atari. Other gaming devices (Commodore 64, Arcade Machines in particular) had record sales. The other machines (Mattel and Coleco) were already declining before 1983 even occurred.

The 'crash' was due to greedy developers and poor retailer choices (Pricing down 34 dollar games (70 dollars today) to 5 dollars with a month or two of release. Who would ever pay 34 dollars for a game, again?). Imagine if Kameo or PGR3 was already 10 dollars ... would you ever pay 60 dollars for a new game?

So it wasn't like gaming quit happening ... it just happened on different mediums.

Well, there certainly was a crash, but like you said, it wasn't quite the way it's protrayed.

This gets my goat, too.

But more than Atari crashed. All the publishers who published for Atari crashed along with, and Coleco may have been in some decline, but the crash effectively kept them from doing anything about it.

What gets me is when people say the crash was due to "poor games." This is not true. It's due to the fact that publishers overproduced and retailers overbought, and there were too many titles to choose from. That led to the price cutting, and that led to the bottom falling out. Worse still, videogames were new enough (and popular enough) that they were still considered a fad by many, and the crash was "proof."

The "games of poor quality" thing was Ninteno's lie, in order to justify control over content on the platform.

Gaming did indeed thrive on PCs. IMHO, it was far, far better than the NES games that come in parallel. It wasn't until the Genesis/SNES that some of that content started making its way back to consoles.

Ranger X

Raiden said:
I have dozens of games i love and i can stand being criticised, but some products, like described above, you just cant let it go and have to defend the product.

Too me thats at least some minor sort of fanboyism, cause we're talking about defending it anyhow here. But its just me i guess, i could post another shitload of games i care to defend.

Well, maybe we use the word fanboy too much.
You're in fanatism when you love something and can't see the flaws. If you play a bad game and idiotically defend obviously flawed stuff, or you can't see them with your biased opinion, it's fanboyism.

Grug

I feel compelled to defend a game if you know the story behind the development, especially if it was a labor of love (Deus Ex & Eternal Darkness for example).

F.Be@PSG

Eternal Darkness
Metal Gear Solid 2
Super Mario Sunshine
Zelda The Wind Waker
Z.O.E 2
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

DCX

DCX
Listen i aint getting any Blaster Master or Fantavision tattoos anytime soon, so i don't know where fanoyish has to do with this. It's all about defending your opinion VS another person, which should spark great debate not childish wars. I'm not trying to sell my ideas and opinions to anyone, i'm not trying to convert people...i have a voice and using this forum as a platform to present it to the public...that is all, so piss off.

DCX

Grug

DCX said:
Listen i aint getting any Blaster Master or Fantavision tattoos anytime soon, so i don't know where fanoyish has to do with this. It's all about defending your opinion VS another person, which should spark great debate not childish wars. I'm not trying to sell my ideas and opinions to anyone, i'm not trying to convert people...i have a voice and using this forum as a platform to present it to the public...that is all, so piss off.

DCX

The creature on the box would make a sweet-ass tattoo though.

Blaster_Master_boxfront.jpg

DCX

DCX
Grug said:
The creature on the box would make a sweet-ass tattoo though.

Blaster_Master_boxfront.jpg
Shhhh!!! I'm trying to make a point before i get that on back with tribal surround it :D

DCX

Bushido Blade 1 and (especially) 2
Parasite Eve
Xenogears
Final Fantasy VIII
Star Ocean 3
Shenmue 2
Ico
Soul Reaver and Legacy of Kain: Defiance
Golden Sun: Lost Age

and one of my favorite platformers from my early gaming days:
The Flintstones for NES

Leatherface

Krowley said:
for me it's metroid prime and it's sequel... i love those games almost too much, and they get so much heat in certain places (gaf for example).

Almost forgot about those two. They get so much shit from everyone, that I am completely baffled. I think they're two of the best games of the gen and in my personal top 10 of all time.

lachesis

Eternal Arcadia
Shenmue I & II
Jet Set Radio Future (as it seems)
and..
Ryu ga Gotoku!

Oh, Look! I'm a sega fanboy! :lol

Kenny

D3VI0US said:
I feel as a game Wind Waker is almost indefensible in how bad it is. Talk about easy and boring, hours of stupid fetch quests are not fun.

About 5 million WoW users would disagree with you there;-)

ToxicAdam

Ignatz Mouse said:
What gets me is when people say the crash was due to "poor games." This is not true. It's due to the fact that publishers overproduced and retailers overbought, and there were too many titles to choose from. That led to the price cutting, and that led to the bottom falling out. Worse still, videogames were new enough (and popular enough) that they were still considered a fad by many, and the crash was "proof."

Here's the list of some 1983 releases. Some of these were the best games you could play on an Atari.

Star Wars: Jedi Arena

Spider-Man

Crazy Climber

Seaquest

Keystone Kapers

Enduro

Jungle Hunt

Kangaroo

Battlezone

Pole Position

Krull

Amidar

SwordQuest WaterWorld

Dig Dug

Gravitar

Joust

Moon Patrol

Frostbite

Q*Bert

-------------

A big problem with those releases, were most were not arcade perfect. Also, at this time, you could play games like Dragon's Lair or Star Wars in the arcades. Graphics had improved tremendously. On the PC side, you could play a game like Ultima 3. Unsurpassed depth in a game. You could buy a new Commodore 64 for 200 dollars that year.

Jenov

FF7 (everywhere but here, since I recently found it to be impossible)
ALL Mario Karts
FF Tactics
Team Fortress Classic
Counter-Strike (Original)
Mario 64
Banjo Kazooie

And the number one game that I will defend without question for the rest of my natural life....... is.....

cin01-off.gif

STARCRAFT!!

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I defend Advent Rising any chance I get. That, Jak II and Prince of Persia Warrior Within.

I love all three games and most people dont' agree with my feelings at all. :(

Spencerr

Banned
Eternal Darkness
Wind Waker
Mario Kart 64
Shenmue
Bushido Blade
Zork: Grand Inquisitor
Deus Ex
Diablo 2
Starsiege:Tribes
Metroid Prime

ALL SUCK! </thread>

not rly

ToxicAdam said:
Here's the list of some 1983 releases. Some of these were the best games you could play on an Atari.

I think you are agreeing with me.

Also in 84 (usually the year the crash is cited) the 5200 had quite a few closer-to-arcade experiences available.

Trouble was, even with good console games, there were too many choices, and many people who also wanted a home computer, which was a better game amchine to boot.

C64 really took off.

Beowvlf

Banned
Gran Turismo 4
All the PSone Final Fantasy's
The entire Colony Wars series
Shadow of the Colossus
Jak II
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Amplitude
Metal Gear Solid 2

Heian-kyo said:

Here's one I should probably add to my list. I feel it was the best of the three Jak's and one the few platform (or action/platform) type games this gen that offered a long quest and good challenge. IMO, a far better game than any of the R+C games (which I like but feel are repetitive and have bland level design.)

callous

ghibli99 said:
Same here... it's too bad SR2006 is such a steaming pile.

Ah well, as long as it includes an arcade perfect version of the original, it's ok. I've pretty much given up on them ever topping it, anyway. I'm hoping it arrives on two discs. That way I could go to some place like EB, buy the game, take out the disc with the original and sell the rest of the package back to them right there :p

bumpkin

To my friends? Any game that uses the DK Bongos. Here on GAF, not a damn thing, 'cuz there's twelve haters to any one game I support. :lol

Top Bottom