• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that you relentlessly defend...

Vitten

F-Zero X para siempre !

I will always defend F-Zero X as one of the best games ever. The gameplay is just sooooooo much better than its crappy bug-infested Sega successor.

[Nintex]

Vitten said:
F-Zero X para siempre !

I will always defend F-Zero X as one of the best games ever. The gameplay is just sooooooo much better than its crappy bug-infested Sega successor.
I will always defend F-zero GX, Fzero X is ugly the worst of the Fzero series. Fzero GX is pure genious extreme but not over the top loopings jumps etc. The only thing missing from that game was a Trackbuilder. Fzero GX is my favorite GC game. Bring on the sequel AV!!

Shenmue Series
Killer 7
Zelda: Wind Waker
Resident Evil Zero
Metroid Prime 1 & 2
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
MGS: Twin Snakes
MGS2
Winback
Turok 2
F-Zero GX
Extreme G 1 & 2 (fuck all the others)

Vagrant Story. 2D shooters in general. Romance of the Three Kingdoms series. FFX-2.

Usually I'm content to live and let live when it comes to gaming preferences, but if somebody is slagging off a game out of ignorance, I'm all too happy to speak up.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Zelda Majoras Mask, The Wind Waker
Super Mario Sunshine
Pikmin
Sonic Adventure 2

pj

Banned
Psychonauts. It's obvious that 90% of the people who don't like it played basic braining and decided that it's just another by the books platformer with weird graphics and some jokes. I don't argue with the other 10% who have really played the game and still don't like it because they are going to hell, and I don't like to associate with the damned.

GoldenEye
Perfect Dark (couldn't believe that made EGM's top overrated games list)
Both of their framerates (yeah, bad, but definitely playable for me, even now)
Most of Nintendo's games.
Most of Rare's games.
Eternal Darkness.

There we go. :D

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
pj325is said:
Psychonauts. It's obvious that 90% of the people who don't like it played basic braining and decided that it's just another by the books platformer with weird graphics and some jokes. I don't argue with the other 10% who have really played the game and still don't like it because they are going to hell, and I don't like to associate with the damned.

:lol post of the thread.

CrisKre

For me :

PN03: I really think this game is misinterpreted. Its a retro shooter, very strategic and I enjoyed it sooooooo much. I think there is A LOT of room for improving and expanding the concept and would love Mikami to do that. Sadly, it probably will never happen =[

Eternal Darkness: It is a really good, polished, interesting and atmospheric experience IMO.

EDIT: forgot to add Mario Kart Double Dash: The hate this game recieves is totally undeserved IMO. Its really great. Awesome game. It has minor problems, but it definatelly has great additions to the franchise some of which where expanded and used in the DS version (fallen items, different carts, preponderance of dash, etc). I tought the two characters a cart was also brilliant and they keep it for the home versions of the franchise.

And the obligatory Wind Waker defense also. Many people praise it, but many dont. I think it is excellent.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Dead or Alive...... many people hate these games, even though it's about as well designed as a fighter can be without being "deep" (it's not about insanely difficult special moves nerds practice in their basements for weeks).

And that's the source of the hate: "It's not deep, therefore it's not hardcore, therefore it must suck."

Ever heard of a party game? I love "deeper" fighters and I'm sure there's still a place for DOA.

snatches

Wind Waker. Here and everywhere else. The cel-shading was so artistically and technically excellent it elevated the experience to new heights. Only RE4 was more fun for me this gen. They maybe God of War....and Halo.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
sammy said:
Mario Sunshine (It's fucking awesome, not insanely legendary -- but MS is what MarioWorld was to Mario3, accept it)

That's an insult to Super Mario World. Take that back!

jett

D-Member
Oblivion said:
That's an insult to Super Mario World. Take that back!

I rather liked his analogy. SMB3 trumps SMW in all levels.

I'd say that I'd defend MGS3 HASTA LA MUERTE.

Eternal Darkness
Majoras Mask
Donkey Kong 64
Prince of Persia WW
Mario Kart DD
Donkey Kong Country 2
Perfect Dark

I don't know why some people hate these games.

Grug

snatches said:
Wind Waker. Here and everywhere else. The cel-shading was so artistically and technically excellent it elevated the experience to new heights.

I truly believe that Wind Waker is by far the most graphically impressive game this generation.

I am not going to qualify that assessment further by defining it as technically impressive or artistically impressive. I don't care.

It is the best looking game this generation by a country mile.

AniHawk

Ocarina of Time. I can't believe there are people with so little taste as to badmouth this game. I mean really.

The Wind Waker. A little more believable, but it's the first Zelda to have an explicitly great ending (which, having played OoT, is so much more worthwhile). I think that the triforce hunt and sailing really gets attacked far too much, and this was after replaying it a year after its release for the first time when all the hype was gone. It's a pretty good game, and damn cel-shading was gorgeous.

Perfect Dark. Fucking awesome. Great multiplayer, great weapons, fun single player mode(s). Just awesome awesome awesome. Better than GoldenEye ever was (though I love me my GoldenEye).

Skies of Arcadia. Just a wonderful traditional RPG. I can see where it might seem average or generic, but it's so gosh-darn charming that I can't see anyone hating it.

Shenmue II (DC). The first was horridly boring. The second was balls-to-the-walls awesome. A forgotten gem amongst the games that've been released in the last 5 years. Too bad we'll never see a sequel. Ever.

Grug

AniHawk said:
Skies of Arcadia. Just a wonderful traditional RPG. I can see where it might seem average or generic, but it's so gosh-darn charming that I can't see anyone hating it.

Captivating world and characters but too many random battles! Everytime I heard my Dreamcast accessing the disc, a piece of my soul died.

"ALPHA STOOOOORM!!!!"

Rez is the one and only game that I cannot help but defend. Not that it's the only game I love...it's just the only game that, when people trash it, I want to cut out their tongue and break their fingers so the blasphemy will end.

Jiggy

Limiting my list to just games that actually generate controversy (as opposed to, say, Advance Wars or Castlevania, which are rarely accepted as anything other than awesome):

Pokemon RPGs (any, including Colosseum and XD but excluding Mysterious Dungeon) - Sometimes they get lambasted for being too simplistic. I say the people who think so have only tried the toned-down main single-player quest, and never battled in the optional post-game areas or, better yet, against other players. The deepest and overall best RPG series I've ever played, by far.

Super Smash Bros. Melee - See Pokemon, except drop the part about optional post-game areas and replace "RPG series" with "fighting game."

Bomberman 64 - Circular area explosions were the way to go for the series, yet the combination of fan backlash and professional criticism killed them before they even got off the ground for a sequel.

F-Zero GX - Some people want their racing games more complex. I don't care about complexity if it's this playable and this awesome in every way--music, number of tracks, graphics, sense of speed, unlockables for replayability, etc.

Dead or Alive series - Like the F-Zero GX of fighting games, but to a lesser degree since the music and levels and overall polish aren't as noteworthy. Other companies seriously need to take a hint and feature as many unlockable outfits as the DOA games, though.

Meteos - See F-Zero GX, sub in "puzzle" and other appropriate terms where necessary.

Tales of Symphonia - I don't get why people didn't like the storyline, or at the very least not the character-based aspects of the storyline. And there's also the awesome battle system and music, which help to make this IMO the best RPG since (but not better than)...

Star Ocean 2 - I'll never understand how people could love Valkyrie Profile, but not SO2. VP played like a DDR of RPGs, a rhythm-based experience with addictiveness but relatively little depth. SO2 had the same addictiveness, but added depth: fighters actually had more than one special attack, you had more direct control in battle, there was real character interaction outside of one throwaway 15-30 minute scene that ends up being all that any one VP character (other than Lucian or whatever his name was) gets for the entire game, and, as a result, the storyline was more complex as well. On top of all that, the music was superior--and, even if not superior in the opinions of some, at least more varied in genres--and the game could actually be played a second time through since you wouldn't have to sit through boring, lengthy, unskippable cutscenes. What did VP do better? Graphics and voice acting and that's it. I guess superficial aspects like that mean a lot to others.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - Catches some flack at times for the sailing or the cel-shading, but those were among the best parts; the artwork was beautiful (even if the body proportions were hideous), and if you're going to make a huge-yet-empty area for exploration, the ocean was a far better way to do it than the boring Hyrule Field of OoT. WW wasn't the best Zelda game--I actually think it's the fourth worst--but it gets bashed in areas where it really shouldn't.

WWF No Mercy - Some think that either the Smackdown or Day of Reckoning series has surpassed this by now. I say they're kidding themselves and that a game that's over half a decade old still has some features that the new stuff has yet to implement.

Final Fantasy 6 - Gets bashed occasionally for a non-linear second half that "lacks" in the storyline department. It doesn't lack at all; it just shifts focus from story to character, which absolutely needed to be done.

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Still the best Zelda.

Grug said:
QFT.

I was captivated by the sailing in Wind Waker. Absolutely entralled. The anticipation as you moor your boat on a new island...

Yup, that and the sound of the water, and the look of the sun rising. Just so incredibly atmospheric and beautiful to look at. Great game.

And ehm, there are people who dont like Zone of the Enders 2? That game was beautiful beyond comprehension... And gameplay was awesome.

Orgen

Tales of Symphonia
Jet Force Gemini
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Donkey Kong 64
Shadowman (N64)
Super Mario Sunshine
Tales of Eternia
Seiken Densetsu 3
Perfect Dark
Skies of Arcadia

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Jiggy37 said:
Star Ocean 2 - I'll never understand how people could love Valkyrie Profile, but not SO2. VP played like a DDR of RPGs, a rhythm-based experience with addictiveness but relatively little depth. SO2 had the same addictiveness, but added depth: fighters actually had more than one special attack, you had more direct control in battle, there was real character interaction outside of one throwaway 15-30 minute scene that ends up being all that any one VP character (other than Lucian or whatever his name was) gets for the entire game, and, as a result, the storyline was more complex as well. On top of all that, the music was superior--and, even if not superior in the opinions of some, at least more varied in genres--and the game could actually be played a second time through since you wouldn't have to sit through boring, lengthy, unskippable cutscenes. What did VP do better? Graphics and voice acting and that's it. I guess superficial aspects like that mean a lot to others.

Yeah, this game is *FANTASTIC* and this board doesn't give this game nearly enough love. Probably my second favorite RPG of all time... Love the skills system, the item creation, plus the fights were chaotic but didn't suffer from the unresponsiveness of 3. I replayed this game like 3 times, a rarity in this day and age (with so many games to play and limited time). The game unfortunately suffered from a dry translation and poor voice acting, which really hurt the game in the eyes of a lot of people unfortunately.

Danydrunk

PN03. I never understood the criticism towards the control mechanics, for me it was not only addictive but deep. Once I got the hang of it, I rarely got damaged and it was cool watching all those moves while running away from missiles. The level design, while repetitive, served its purpose and the atmosphere of the whole game is like no other this generation. One of my favorites games this gen.

IGN 5.3 (thats when I first lost faith in ign)

Link1110

Grandia 2 - So many people hate this, but its one of my top 10 of all time. The battle system is great, the game isn't ridiculously hard (Unlike it's sequel, and yes, I'd rather play an easy game than a nigh impossible one) and I thought it had a good story. The music also ROCKS, especialy the battle with the parts music.

Oh, and Ryudo is the best RPG hero of all time.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Electroplancton

This is the most deep experience I have got in years. Maybe it's not a game, but it's so inspiring!!!!

Keep it going Nintendo. :)

Aurora

Grug said:
Captivating world and characters but too many random battles! Everytime I heard my Dreamcast accessing the disc, a piece of my soul died.

If you opened up the menu as soon as you heard the DC accessing the disc you would skip the battle. :p

Mine are Skies of Arcadia and Pokémon.

Tain

I don't really feel the need to defend any games. If others don't like a game that I like, it's no trouble.

Top Bottom