• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games under Ouya's "Free the Games" fund on Kickstarter looking suspicious

I've changed from wanting to support the ouya to wanting them grilled for being idiots with their money, no thought went into their match funds campaign, no safety nets, nothing.

Also a lot of the ouya's performance is lost due to 1080p scaling, they should have capped it at 720 IMO and got better performance out of it.

Tripon

1st down and 30 to go after the kickoff? Perhaps they'll avoid a lawsuit from the NFL on the grounds that it isn't football they're playing.

They already took out any references to team names, team colors, the NFL logo, etc.

You might as well call it Aussie Rules football, because its nowhere near related to the NFL now.

The game I mentioned above, "Dungeons the Eye of Draconus" has now been removed from the FTGF by OUYA.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...of-draconus-completion-fund-ouya/posts/600740

This party just doesn't stop.
Should we blame Ouya for this? The KS got over $50K (way over the $10 he asked for), yet he says they only got $4K from 'crowdsourcing.' Connecting the dots doesn't that mean the rest of the money came internally? He says his dad gave him a lot of money. That may not be against KS TOS but it's certainly not in the spirit of KS.

Of course I realize that begs the question, why did Ouya give the Gridiron game a free pass?

Tripon

Should we blame Ouya for this? The KS got over $50K (way over the $10 he asked for), yet he says they only got $4K from 'crowdsourcing.' Connecting the dots doesn't that mean the rest of the money came internally? He says his dad gave him a lot of money. That may not be against KS TOS but it's certainly not in the spirit of KS.

Of course I realize that begs the question, why did Ouya give the Gridiron game a free pass?

There's also the implication that he was just going to give the money his father donated to him back after he got the matching funds.

I'm sure the guy's dream is to be a game designer. I'm just saying he should probably work for an actual games company first to gain some funds to live off.

DarkFlow

Banned
They already took out any references to team names, team colors, the NFL logo, etc.

You might as well call it Aussie Rules football, because its nowhere near related to the NFL now.
I saw a picture of bill belichick right when they started.

DarkFlow

Banned
Sorry for the double post, but it looks like they totally revamped the rules. Found this blog post on the site.

https://www.ouya.tv/a-word-from-julie-on-the-ftg-fund/

Free the Games Fund rules update:

Project Minimum: $10k (We heard you that $50k is too high. We wanted to make sure your games get made, so we lowered the goal. And, we know first-hand, that great games can be made for $20k or sometimes less.)

Match Amount: 100% of your funding goal to a maximum of $250,000. (Meaning we match what you need. If you receive more than you asked for from your backers, GREAT, but this should be a measurement of community interest, not a push for more funding.)

Minimum # of Backers: The intent is for the community to want your game, not a small number of well-resourced supporters. We felt we needed to look at the minimum number of backers to make sure it is in line with the spirit of our program. So, for every $10,000 raised on Kickstarter, you have to have a minimum of 100 backers.

Exclusivity: 1 month for every $10k funded by OUYA up to 6 months. So, if you set a goal for $20k and you meet your goal, your game would be exclusive for 2 months. If your goal is for $70k, and you meet your goal, your game will be exclusive for 6 months. Lastly, we think it’s OK if you develop a PC version of your game. We want your game on the TV, but we also want your audience to grow. So, if you want to build a PC version at the same time, go for it.

Timing:

50% of the funding provided to you at functioning beta (You know, to make sure it’s a real project. ;) Bawb can’t wait to play!
25% at launch on OUYA (You go live, you get rewarded!)
25% at end of exclusivity period (Congrats!)
Bonus: Gone. (Again, you suggested this, and we agree it just didn’t feel right. We think this will support the nature of the fund–to make great games.) We’re going to use this money to fund games the old fashioned way–working with you one-on-one.

Fine Print: It’s no longer just fine print to us. You need to play by the spirit of the fund as much as the rules. We can’t account for every loophole. So, if we, or our community, feel you are gaming the system, we will review your project (and consult with our developer friends for their advice) and determine whether to fund it or not.

If you feel we are still missing the mark, let’s talk–julie@ouya.tv, @juhrman on Twitter, and live at the XOXO conference this weekend in Portland.

We’re learning from everything we create and, TOGETHER WITH YOUR HELP, we’re getting better every day.

Julie

Also a video from her there. Now I hope that shit football game does not get a dime.

The new terms are drastically better for devs. Especially the change from Ouya exclusive to Ouya console exclusive (aka PC + Ouya is fine).

However, it still looks like the Ouya system itself is bombing. If you decide to participate, it's probably best to just assume that the Ouya promo money you're getting is all you're getting from the Ouya game and if anyone actually buys the Ouya game, that's just a nice bonus.

Part of me wants to write a blog about this company's constant mishaps, but considering they seem to like even bad publicity about their system. It kinda stops me wanting to talk about it at all.

Also keeps annoying me how often games journos keep only taking the surface of each Ouya story and reporting that, rather than the full tale. It wasn't till I read the Something Awful thread and tracking this horrid promo that I learned how much of a mess Ouya's made up to this point.

I guess people simply don't care. but hell it'll make for one epic story of failure, when eventually Ouya is forced to shutter up - which is almost inevitable at this rate, maybe if they had really shown themselves to be able to source good indie titles, and handled this promo right from the get go, they would of stood a chance.

But considering how they handled launch and dealt with Kickstarter supporters after, the 90's style dudebro ads, and misjudged responses to games (GET SOME) - I can't see it getting better short of a major shake up in their ranks and some actual genuine games, rather than a bunch of developers "My First Video Game" efforts, and whatever scraps devs are willing to port to the system.

Re: Gridiron Thunder and the Free The Games Fund

This is hogwash, according to [Ouya founder and CEO Julie] Uhrman. "They didn't do anything wrong," she tells me. In fact, she's played an early build of the game and stands by it. "We saw content after their project was complete and it's looking good."

"They had a large group of friends that believed in them and supported them throughout their Kickstarter campaign. They did much more than they ever anticipated they would do on Kickstarter, blowing away their goal. And as they started developing their game they realised that they could finish it on their own, without the matching funds from us. So they reached out to us and pulled out of the program so the money could be used by other game developers who weren't as fortunate, which I think is unbelievably commendable... We're excited to have it on our platform and maybe find ways to work with them moving forward."

It seems hard to believe, but Uhrman is adamant about this.
While Gridiron Thunder took the brunt of the criticism surrounding the Free the Games Fund, some have criticised how the promotion operates, even with the new restrictions. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that developers can still get friends to donate (or give them money to), only to pay them back once they've acquired double the cash via Ouya's offer.

"Well, let's hope that doesn't happen," Uhrman says.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-24-ouya-founder-julie-uhrman-on-the-little-box-that-could

Tripon

So uh, Gridiron Thunder didn't get release today, despite making a super secret promise to release on Oct. 30th.

MogoTXT's and Gridiron twitter's account has gone silent since mid-Sept, and the kickstarter's page hasn't been updated since Sept too.

But I'm sure they're working super hard to release it guys.

Cheddahz

Banned
So uh, Gridiron Thunder didn't get release today, despite making a super secret promise to release on Oct. 30th.

MogoTXT's and Gridiron twitter's account has gone silent since mid-Sept, and the kickstarter's page hasn't been updated since Sept too.

But I'm sure they're working super hard to release it guys.

Scott Fujita is probably upset the game isn't out yet

Top Bottom