• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games under Ouya's "Free the Games" fund on Kickstarter looking suspicious

Joni

Meanwhile game journalists:

<<Kojima said he's exploiting horny teenagers!!!11!!!1!!!!1!!!!!111!!>>

<<The Death Of Nintendo Has Been Greatly Under-Exaggerated>>

<<It was pure Hollywood. A random, breathtaking moment of awesome directly stemming from a decision I made. A purely emergent, life-and-death dance more exciting than every pre-constructed, quick-time event I&#8217;ve ever half-heartedly button-bashed my way through.

Make no mistake; Grand Theft Auto V is made of moments just like this.

And it feels incredible>>
Because nobody cares about OUYA and the people scamming the company. Why spend time on something 99,9% of your audience doesn't even know or care about. When time is limited, you can't make a news post about somethng which will get no hits.

Dambrosi

Banned
So, some shady Mafia outfit figured out how to launder money legally using Kickstarter? Interesting, because that's what this sounds like.

I'm sure Gridiron Thunder will absolutely not look and feel like a game that's been slapped together in about two months on a budget of about $50k. Clearly just a lot of very generous backers really want this game on their extremely niche console. And Ouya are so desperate for a bit of publicity and some exclusive games they'll willingly be duped out of hundreds of thousands.

I could understand why its brought in so much money if the team behind it was well known or if even the game itself looked decent. But this is what it looked like in their latest preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqf2-b8Ymzw

And that's supposed to be released next Sunday. Also they're still using NFL imagery, which just isn't going to fly.

Amagon

I just sold my Ouya a few days ago due to that it never gets used and very underwhelming.

This company sucks.

Axass

Because nobody cares about OUYA and the people scamming the company. Why spend time on something 99,9% of your audience doesn't even know or care about. When time is limited, you can't make a news post about somethng which will get no hits.

Of course, I understand that. Though that was my point, journalism shouldn't be about "getting more hits". Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread, sorry for the offtopicness.

Tripon

Of course, I understand that. Though that was my point, journalism shouldn't be about "getting more hits". Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread, sorry for the offtopicness.

I wouldn't say that, a lot of gaming websites has written an article on this already. Joystiq has been following and providing updates, IGN, Polygon, VG247, and Eurogamer has written initial reports.

Gamastura and Kotaku has been able to contact the devs at Girdiron Thunder to get quotes.

This is an ongoing story, and where there has been some news, it's still going to be an ongoing story especially since KS isn't going to prevent MogoTXT from collecting from their Kickstarter, and they supposedly has their game coming out next week.

I say let the news happen, and give it time.

FUNDED!!! And they got almost 100K more than they asked for!

w732BNT.jpg

Don't forget that the current pledge average is $939 per backer. That's unbelievable.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1997247042/gridiron-thunder-awesome-indie-football-game-for-o/
Looking at the raging success of previous non-NFL licensed games such as All Pro Football and Backbreaker, I'm not surprised!

I could understand why its brought in so much money if the team behind it was well known or if even the game itself looked decent. But this is what it looked like in their latest preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqf2-b8Ymzw

And that's supposed to be released next Sunday. Also they're still using NFL imagery, which just isn't going to fly.
WOW!!!

Tripon

I still can't believe Kickstarter is letting this pass. I did have a chuckle at some of the latest backers for Gridiron Thunder.

We got two John's, who didn't bother to give a last name, "Scott Fujita", and "S.A. Fuijta". Fujita's full name is Scott Anthony Fujita.

Look, I understand Fujita has some involvement in this, but either two things happened.

1. Fujita himself made two accounts and donated $10000 for each account for some reason.
2. MogoTXT made two separate accounts in Fujita's name.

This is pretty crazy. Its not as if Fujita's a nobody you can distance yourself from. He's personally sponsered your game! To abuse his name in this manner is digusting.

s_mirage

Hang on a minute. Even if this didn't look shady as hell, which it does, if the game is already done what the hell would the Kickstarter money be for? If it looks like scam and smells like a scam....

Wow. I'm kind of surprised that Kickstarter actually did something about it.

One thing KS has taught me is that it's run by people who only care for money and people who don't really care about the events that go on through their website because it's not effecting them.

epmode

If Ouya goes through with their ridiculous plan, Kickstarter is basically complicit in stealing $8,500.

Sill, it would be very easy for Ouya to hold off on doubling the funds by blackmailing the con men.

Sweet dancing crap, this reads like a straight up con job. If the game releases and faces issue there simply has to be a response from the community; I refuse to believe everyone will just fold and look the other way.

Celegus

I'm not sure which is sadder... how poor of a job they're doing of making it look legit, or the fact that they're somehow seemingly getting away with it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I don't even care anymore. If Ouya can't see how obvious they're being scammed, than they deserve every dime taken from them. Either they're stupid beyond belief or they're complicit. Either way it makes their platform look even worse than it already is.

I don't even care anymore. If Ouya can't see how obvious they're being scammed, than they deserve every dime taken from them. Either they're stupid beyond belief or they're complicit. Either way it makes their platform look even worse than it already is.
Or they're so desperate for games on their system, and attention, that they know these were scams but went along with them anyway.

Celegus

QKoYiPN.png

Fictional Baltimore prosecutor Rhonda Pearlman has confirmed that nothing illegal is going on here, so lets all just sit back and enjoy this great indie football game.

Fictional lawyers can't even afford grammar school? There is no apostrophe in Ouyas! (and I've yet to see proof there are even plural Ouyas in existence)

$h@d0w

Terry Cavanagh just tweeted about this, highlighting the comments on here: https://www.ouya.tv/lets-talk-about-the-free-the-games-fund/

Sophie Houlden pulled her game from the Ouya store:

Sophie Houlden said:
I love the OUYA dearly, it actually has a couple of my favourite games of all time on it, and I had a good time developing for it myself. but I'm not prepared to support bullshit like this, you've lost me.

You have Mike Bithell (Thomas Was Alone / Volume dev) being quite critical as well.

Sounds like Ouya pissed a lot of genuine developers off with the original plan and their response after the questions was basically "deal with it".

Edit - reading the comments, it's mentioned that Terry Cavanagh pulled his games from Ouya as well.

FACE

Banned
One thing KS has taught me is that it's run by people who only care for money and people who don't really care about the events that go on through their website because it's not effecting them.

I don't think Kickstarter will get anything out of this since it's obvious most pledges are fake.

So where is all the money coming from if a lot of the backers are fake? Ouya themselves?

We don't know, but I doubt it. It's probably money that the devs put into it themselves through proxy accounts. Easiest 100% return ever, since the game is pretty much done anyway.

$h@d0w

So where is all the money coming from if a lot of the backers are fake? Ouya themselves?

I think what is happening is:

1. You put up a kickstarter and join the Ouya scheme.
2. You get your friends and family to bump this to at least $50,000
3. Ouya matches your kickstarter money.
4. Profit!!!!

x-Lundz-x

We don't know, but I doubt it. It's probably money that the devs put into it themselves through proxy accounts. Easiest 100% return ever, since the game is pretty much done anyway.

I think what is happening is:

1. You put up a kickstarter and join the Ouya scheme.
2. You get your friends and family to bump this to at least $50,000
3. Ouya matches your kickstarter money.
4. Profit!!!!

Ok I think I get it now, Ouya is supposed to match your kickstarter funds so they are basically using their own money to bump this way up to scam Ouya out of money. WOW.

$h@d0w

Yeah, that's what I believe is happening - except instead of policing it's own system, Ouya is just saying - okay here's the cash.

The devs on Ouya think this is unfair because they feel that actual deserving/interesting games are being overlooked, Neverending Nightmares is an example: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/infinitap/neverending-nightmares

In protest they are pulling their games from the Ouya store.

In reply to the following post below - wow, just wow.

Terry Cavanagh just tweeted about this, highlighting the comments on here: https://www.ouya.tv/lets-talk-about-the-free-the-games-fund/

Sophie Houlden pulled her game from the Ouya store:

You have Mike Bithell (Thomas Was Alone / Volume dev) being quite critical as well.

Sounds like Ouya pissed a lot of genuine developers off with the original plan and their response after the questions was basically "deal with it".

Edit - reading the comments, it's mentioned that Terry Cavanagh pulled his games from Ouya as well.
I forgot this line in the original FTG pitch:

"Of course, if you don't meet your Kickstarter goal at all, then maybe that means you can't afford to make a game. We'll be sad, of course, but we'll understand if the game you can't afford to make isn't on OUYA."
What dicks.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Ok I think I get it now, Ouya is supposed to match your kickstarter funds so they are basically using their own money to bump this way up to scam Ouya out of money. WOW.

This is exactly what is happening. The fact it's so obvious and Ouya is just going to hand over the cash is crazy. I'm not surprised that devs feel quite insulted over the whole thing. That's probably more money than any of them have actually been able to legitimately earn through the store yet (if anyone ever earns that much). The fact that the most money earned from Ouya will be by scamming them is a pretty sad end to the Ouya story.

Can't be a scam because Ouya is happily scamming itself.

Ouya somehow warped time and space to be both the scammer and the scammee. It's the nexus of the universe. Ouya has crossed the antipodal point of the inverse event horizon's lagrange point and the only way to survive is "more cowbell" in a timeline in which cows never existed thus no cowbells

tmarques

Has Ouya paid up already? Would be hilarious if they didn't and the scammers were stuck with having to pay taxes on the money they donated themselves.

This really is sad considering how Ouya could have used the money to fund indies who had geniuniely interesting games who might have actually struggled to fund their projects.

Isn't the game using NFL brandning without permission too? I know they claimed something about FIrst Ammendment rights allowing them to use it. Surely that is just a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Now that developers are actually pulling games they might do something about this.

Can't be a scam because Ouya is happily scamming itself.

Yeah it's hard to call it a scam when Ouya is essentially saying do whatever the hell you want to get the money, and then we'll double it.

Isn't the game using NFL brandning without permission too? I know they claimed something about FIrst Ammendment rights allowing them to use it. Surely that is just a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I suspect a lawsuit only happens in the event they actually release the game. So they might be safe.

I wanted to love the ouya but they make it extremely hard, not a great way to rock your first year with shit like this.

And they seem to not give a shit.

I'd take a few k to get my game on the ouya sooner but I guess not now.

kirblar

When Ouya is just handing the cash away and not blinking an eye, it makes me very suspicious that there's something more to this on Ouya's end.

I mean, hell, Kickstarter cancelled one of these projects. They never do that.

Top Bottom