• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with great UI? How to get away from...this?

From a now deleted tweet someone posted how games all have similar UI and while I think it goes back to the ubisoftification/mobilization of modern games and making everything a check list I want to focuse just on UI...what are some games that have spectacular UI and how do we get away from ...this?

delete.JPG

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
i think we have this because it works, not because it's generic. I can't really think of a better system for this kind of stuff...

if nothing else, the actual UI looks to boring and minimalistic. i wish we could go back to the late 90s and 2000s with this stuff where the UI was themed after the game

R6Rider

Gold Member
Lots of these aren't even that bad. Others are your typical gear screens that are no better or worse than they've been for decades.

The Spider-Man one is the fucking suit selection screen...

Last edited:
i think we have this because it works, not because it's generic. I can't really think of a better system for this kind of stuff...

if nothing else, the actual UI looks to boring and minimalistic. i wish we could go back to the late 90s and 2000s with this stuff where the UI was themed after the game
To me its very cluttered in general, a ton of tabs and doesn't often make the act of engaging with UI in general enjoyable. An attempt to make it artistically engaging is practically non existent.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
To me its very cluttered in general, a ton of tabs and doesn't often make the act of engaging with UI in general enjoyable. An attempt to make it artistically engaging is practically non existent.
i can understand that but again i can't really think of a superior kind of system for this stuff. I don't think there are many games with RPG/RPG-lite mechanics that don't use a UI like this

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
That is fine and as said "It works." Like why are people upset at this? And Ubi isn't the first to use this: that is the "Destiny UI" through and through. I remember when it landed on consoles thinking how much easier "feeling" navigating felt than the static, D-pad to move from one element to the next.

. . .like every game can't be Persona 5, where EVERYTHING about the game is dripping with style. Some games that's not what the game is about and this UI is a really easy one to make fit, especially if its a gear based game.

cireza

Simple, easily readable, not bloated, no/minimal wasted space.

Example :
Valkyria-Chronicles-4-3.jpg

Valkyria-Chronicles-4-01022019-image-1.jpg

When it comes to UI design Atlus are just pro at it.
Simply looking at the menus and transitions in Persona 5 manages to get me tired. Everything is constantly moving. Bad design, as far as I am concerned. Especially in 5.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Personally i like a very reduced HUD that has a good integration as in Dead Space.

If there is a need for more information then go all out in style like Persona 5.

I love it when it's highly customizable so you can adjust the position, size and transparency. The industry is lacking in that regard.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Simply looking at the menus and transitions in Persona 5 manages to get me tired. Everything is constantly moving. Bad design, as far as I am concerned. Especially in 5.
I would say you are minority, because majority of people have no issue P5’s UI, to me it’s super smooth because every option in face button you easy select and battles go faster because of it.

Fbh

I don't think most of them are THAT bad. I've seen/heard a lot of people complain about UI lately but to me they are usually a mild inconvenience at worst.
I think they have more to do with modern game design. Most AAA games these days have some degree of RPG mechanics: Loot, skills trees, a basic level system, perks, etc

Though I agree simple and responsive menus are still the best option.

cireza

I would say you are minority, because majority of people have no issue P5’s UI, to me it’s super smooth because every option in face button you easy select and battles go faster because of it.
Having one button = one action isn't that great, but if people like then more power to them. I prefer moving with up/down and validating.

At least Persona 5 uses the available space so that things are clearly displayed.

Arun1910

I honestly don't have a problem with this, I think its fine, easy to read, everything is clearly laid out.

Grid UI isn't innovative, but is easy for an end user to find what they want, and that is all that matters. Read a column heading, go down that column.

Form > Looking pretty.

ParaSeoul

I like both approaches,the overuse of that UI template can get annoying but it's not really a deal breaker. Also Elden Rings UI wasn't really great,just putting that out there before someone brings it up.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I like both approaches,the overuse of that UI template can get annoying but it's not really a deal breaker. Also Elden Rings UI wasn't really great,just putting that out there before someone brings it up.
God of War Ragnarok is in the top 5 for "respects my time" and "best UI of 2022."

I've just assumed either Elden Ring or Ragnarok will win UI lol.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It works and it is functional - even if it is entirely bland and forgettable. But that is most AAA games these days.

sainraja

I think Destiny's UI (both the first and second) is pretty good visually and UX wise (it does not mean it can't be improved, there is definitely room for improvement). Halo Reach's UI was pretty nice too. I also liked the UI of Uncharted 2 and Resistance 3, both of which were pretty straight-forward and also themed to the game, well, Uncharted 2's was. Being themed to the game does not make a UI better or worse though.

God of War Ragnarok is in the top 5 for "respects my time" and "best UI of 2022."

I've just assumed either Elden Ring or Ragnarok will win UI lol.
Well, God of War does have it themed, meaning it matches the style of the game, something the OP is looking to see more of. 🤷‍♂️
I didn't have any issues with using it. It was pretty easy to navigate and understand.

Last edited:
ER UI fall into the cluttered inventory management UI we see alot...its a true rpg so I guess it's more needed than most gear grind games...but it's still not the best in terms of UI design at all. The UI. in game is superb tho, menu UI is typical cluttered mess.

Flabagast

All games represented on the OP screen are awful, soulless products indeed, without exception.

Very accurate picture, I save it.

Lets be honest here... there is so much information that needs to be displayed or made available in an RPG/RPG lite that you really can't deviate that much. The information infrastructure of some of these RPG seems like a nightmare. They might have a different coat of paint over them, the UI elements might be on the top, left, right, or bottom... but their structures are all pretty damn similar. Also gamers are now "conditioned" to certain expectations. They all look slightly different, but all function in a similar way. I can almost guarantee you they've all tried "different" user flows but have had to change them after the Usability Study feedback came in.

Games with less "info" like TLOU we're able to try somethings. A game like Dead Space did a pretty good job, since it had far less info, but it's structure and user flow are largely the same.

Last edited:
Lmao I definitely wouldn't group Ghost of Tsushima into that. Some of the best HUD and UI in any game. It doesn't distract during gameplay, the wind guides you instead of symbols or a mini map and the menu UI is very clear and easy to read.

Top Bottom