• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with level editors!

woopWOOP

I've always loved editors included in games. It allows the player to get pretty creative with a game and it's rules and can really extend the life of a game. So naturally, I'm psyched about Super Mario Maker coming this September. Thinking about Super Mario Maker and the things I can pull off with it also reminded myself of an old little PSP-game: Megaman Powered Up. That game was the sole reason I bought a PSP back then. For those unaware it's a chibified remake of the first Mega Man with a huge focus on the added stage editor, with extra stage packs and enemy packs hidden in the main game itself for you to unlock for the editor. The editor sadly didn't include everything they used in the main game, from the huge variation of platform shapes to some other features, but it still had plenty of options.

gfs_71511_2_13.jpg

I remembered I made a few complicated stages in the past and decided to check them out again for the heck of it. Guess what! They kinda suck. I mean, I designed some pretty clever stages for each specific Robot Master (you could play as each of the Robot Masters with added abilities: Cutman can wall-jump, Gutsman can create new blocks out of thin air, etc), but it was missing some pretty basic game design 101. Hard jumps were above spikes with no room for error or practice, it was pretty clear a lot of times I was out of ideas and just spammed enemies everywhere for 'added difficulty' and whenever you were high up you could fall all the way down somewhere near the start of the stage. "Then they'd have to go through the whole stage again, muahaha" I probably thought to myself back then, not realising most people would just quit my bullshit stage at that point. I felt so bad about it that I actually went and re-edited my old stages these last few weeks... along with making some new stages too! Turns out the servers are still up and running and stages are still being uploadded every day, sweet! (on that note, if you have some stages on there, gimme the ID! I wanna play 'em~)

Excitebike_-_NES_-_Design_Mode.png
387.jpg
79884-nuts-milk-nes-screenshot-and-here-i-was-editing-the-game-with.gif

Anyway, I don’t want the thread to be solely about Megaman Powered Up. I thought about all the games I played over the years that included a level editor. A lot of them were on the early days of the NES actually, thanks to my ex-neighbour's 370-in-1 NES cartridge:
Excite Bike - The 'Design Mode' in this game had about everything the main game had, tho having a single letter representing different objects was pretty dang confusing. Think I had to resort to writing it down on a piece of paper. Nothing like making tracks that's all about crazy air time. If I remember right the game continues on to stage 2 after you finished your custom track, so your custom track was only available in the first stage colours.
Mach Rider - This game constantly looped your created stage in different environments with different road hazards. To be honest I really sucked at this game and only used the editor to create straight line courses so I could see all the different areas the game had to offer :p
Wrecking Crew - This game allowed up to four custom stages! Damn! After finishing the last one it'd loop back to the first. It had about all the features of the main game, except for placing hidden items like the Golden Hammer. I vaguely remember that being randomly placed, but no clue if there was any pattern to it. Oh and whatever you do, do NOT press the 'play custom stage' button without adding in any bricks to break first. Doing that would get the game stuck in an endless loop of victory jingles.
Muts & Milk - Like Excite Bike this one allowed you to completely edit the first stage, after that the game would continue on with the regular stages. Since the stage colours change back and forth you were always stuck with the stage 1 colours (this kinda stuff really ticked me off back then, haha...).
Battle City - Again, just the first stage. My brother and I would always hide our flag within white bricks, making it near impossible to lose the game... for one round. Getting the enemy stuck on tiny islands was also pretty fun.
Advance Wars – From the GBA forward every AW game came with an easy to use map editor. Used this editor plenty when playing against a friend. Both of us could edit our own 'fortress island' with set amount of cities and factories. Good stuff. Editor didn't come with the bigger 'event' objects like that AW2 volcano tho, sadly.
Excite Bike 64 - Ofcourse the N64 sequel also includes an editor! You were limited to an arena where you could string together a route with set pieces. One nice detail was the ability the manually alter the height points of the different hills you could place. This basically allowed you to turn the track into something that looks like it came out of a lie detector machine. The game didn't really know what to do with the deep trenches, so getting stuck there would often blast you miles skywards for some reason..
Starcraft - Yeah, plenty of PC games can be custom modded and whatnot by tinkering with the files, but Blizzard's official editors for Warcraft and Starcraft were pretty damn nifty with the map tiles being very nicely placed automatically (compared to, say, KKND or Gruntz where you had to puzzle the different pieces together to make it look good). With all the fancy customizable triggers you could go beyond regular multiplayer maps and make something akin to the campaign too. Really neat.

Alright, that’s about all I can remember. So GAF, what other games also had fancy editors included with them and what kind of stuff were you pulling off with it?

Retro

I spent more time in Forge than I did playing the rest of Halo 3 / Reach. In fact, the fact that Forge was such garbage in Halo 4 was one of the main reasons I stopped playing it after the first week.

Also, positively ancient by most GAFer standards, but Glider 4.0 / Pro on the Mac (Windows only got 4.0) was amazing because of the editor. I think there are still people making Glider PRO houses today, actually.

IlludiumQ36

Legend of Grimrock I & II - create your own dungeons and play those created by others right through the steam workshop..

Dr Dogg

I spent more time in the level editor of MegaMan Powered Up than I have in all the series combined. The fact you could share your levels online too as well as play as the Robot Masters helped that too.

Leunam

Tenchu 2 had a pretty good level editor back in the day. No real way to share them beyond a circle of friends, but I came up with some fun designs. The different tilesets kept it interesting.

Tevious

Off the top of my head:

Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2
D&D Sword Coast Legends (soon)
Age of Empires games
Age of Mythology
Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds (uses AoK engine)
Starcraft/Warcraft games
LittleBigPlanet games + Karting
ModNation Racers
Mario Maker

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
If you like and remember Chip's Challenge, the sequel just came out recently on Steam after being delayed by rights issues forever and it has a level editor.

hqdefault.jpg

Duster

The first one I remember using was Hyper Loderunner on the gameboy, unfortunately there was no way to save your creations rendering the option completely pointless.

KKRT00

Trials series and new ones have really mindblowing editors.

Also Heroes of Might and Magic series. I spent some time in HoMM 2 making my own map, it was fun :)

Trackmania series.

Recall

I really liked the one in Micro Machines '96. We'd make tracks with a ridiculous amount of jumps.

Best track I ever made was a perfect large square that was lined so you couldn't leave the track in any variety. Blistering fast on the straights and those corners were where the chaos began...granted we were 12 but it made for a fun competitive time.

HeeHo

About 5-6 years ago a friend and I made an extremely hard, Dark Souls-ish, Excitebike level on an actual NES. We were so satisfied that it tested you every second and you couldn't really screw it up or you'd crash. I don't know what happened because we thought we had saved the level or it started to hang when we tried to save and the next time I booted it up my level was gone.

That little moment made me really appreciate level editors though.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Back in my C-64 days I seemed to have a bunch more of these.

Pinball_Construction_Set_Coverart.png
pinball-construction-set_1.gif

220px-Adv-game-con-kit-box.png
70204-Arcade_Game_Construction_Kit_(U)-1.png

1840642-1303511033_00.jpg
Boulder_Dash__IV_Construction_Kit_2.png

220px-SEUCKboxfront.png
220px-GK-GameMaker-Sprite-Editor.jpg

dickroach

If you like and remember Chip's Challenge, the sequel just came out recently on Steam after being delayed by rights issues forever and it has a level editor.

holy shit. dude. why wasn't this front page news on every paper and website. dude.
downloading now.

Neverism

Bosskey Productions
Gears of War on PC had one and I really hope to see it return with the remaster coming next month.
Will be pretty awesome to upgrade my old maps and play them with a new playerbase! Fingers crossed.

woopWOOP

Aw man, why didn't the DOS version come with level editor? Would've loved it.
About 5-6 years ago a friend and I made an extremely hard, Dark Souls-ish, Excitebike level on an actual NES. We were so satisfied that it tested you every second and you couldn't really screw it up or you'd crash. I don't know what happened because we thought we had saved the level or it started to hang when we tried to save and the next time I booted it up my level was gone.

That little moment made me really appreciate level editors though.
Since I was playing those games on an illigal collection cart, none of the save features worked either. Kinda sucked, but it was fun enough start from scratch every time.

Just reminded myself of Jazz Jackrabbit 2 for PC. It had one of those editors where you had to puzzle together the sprites to make it look good, but was pretty nifty otherwise. Allowed you to load in custom level graphics and came with all the level graphics from the first Jazz game too. The editor didn't load those old graphics correctly however so every block of level was treated like.... well, a block, making hill slopes impossible.

And ofcourse F-Zero X Expansion. Never touched it, but making F-Zero tracks sounds like a blast. Wonder if it'll ever get ported as a VC title...

Seanspeed

Banned
Anyone play Jetpack back in the day?

eiChBjpl.gif
Fuck yea dude.

I would have totally never remembered this game if you hadn't brought it up. I can hear the sound effects in my head right now just from thinking about it! Was definitely my first experience with a level editor. Spent quite a bit of time playing around with it. And like all level editors since, I never created anything that amazing, but it was still a great outlet for creativity.

Miff

My first experience with a level editor was Micromachines Turbo Tournament '96 on the Mega Drive / Genesis.

316553-constuction_kit_level.jpg

I was hooked at creating my own tracks and spent far too long trying to create unconventional layouts. You could alter the physics which added an extra layer of interest. My creations never really worked out that well though, they were usually too difficult when played.

That was pretty much it until I picked up Unreal for the PC. UnrealED was a complex beast for me at the time but they included a tutorial in the back of the instruction manual (which, looking back, was an amazing thing to do).

I got hooked on this for a while and created a lot of stuff for myself. Again my designs were never that successful, usually due to trying something unconventional or having mental blocks due to not planning on paper beforehand. Not knowing how to code at the time, I remember trying to create a heavy snow effect by filling a level with a matrix of animated interlocked sheets that could be passed through... looked amazing but quickly caused issues. Came back to it around Unreal Tournament 2004, released a few things to the community, but eventually gave it up. With life progressing fast it became impractical to pursue it further.

Imbarkus

This one on C-64 was pretty much Gauntlet with a level editor.

250px-Demonstalkerscover.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

I'm pretty sure the commercial release Fire King was made from it, or at least started that way:

Thumb_Fire_King_-_1989_-_SSG_Strategic_Studies.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

ss_lemonade

The original tony hawk games were awesome because of this where each iteration just kept getting better (create your own players and skate parks)

Bahlor

I always loved playing around with map editors and found myself investing more time in those than the actual game, one game that made level editing perfect for me was Operation Flashpoint. It was easy enough to create basic maps / mission and if you really put time in it, you could easily create complete campaigns that had been scripted etc. Was awesome and online you could also find scripts like starting with your troop on a plane and parachute down etc. The community was great! Really wish there would have been a worthy successor :(

Top Bottom