• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with shrinking?

bomblord1

Banned
Seems like an odd and random niche but it's fairly common across all forms of fiction. From the cliched shrink ray to grand metaphors for oppression it's been in the imagination of writers for a long time. What if you could change your size? How does the world look from a mouse's perspective?

300px-SMB2_SuperMario.jpg

It's usually used to give a different perspective on an otherwise mundane location and I personally find it's inclusion in the very few games I've seen it used in interesting there's something exciting about it. New passages are opened up and things are just different.
hqdefault.jpg

(one of my favorite levels in ye old twisted metal 4 was the bedroom)

I can only think of a few examples off hand but I would love to see some more.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
Unreal Tournament the original (custom bathroom level) was so good!

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Alice: Madness Returns had this, wasn't used a lot tho iirc.

dhonk

Duke 3D and Duke Nukem Forever

I actually enjoyed the mini levels in Duke Forever but Im also a weirdo.

Microcosm!!!

But when will we finally get a GOOD Fantastic Voyage / Innerspace game? There have been some interesting things in VR along those lines just lately...

Fantomas

In Shining Force II your party gets shrunk and put on a desk where there is a chess table and you have to fight the chess pieces in order to escape.

PSqueak

Banned
Super Mario Land 2 brings it to a whole new level, there is a whole world that takes place in a gigantic house, another on a gigantic Tree, another inside a gigantic mechanical mario and another world is accessed by being eaten by a giant turtle.

Kingdom hearts !

Im telling you, Ventus' Cinderella level made no sense.

Golnei

Also, the Wonderful 101 stage where the characters are shrunk to
enter Vorkken's bloodstream
would probably count as well.

Mega Man Battle Network 3 has the 'Press' program for the Navi customiser, which basically shrinks the character so he can cross narrow paths in the game world.

Hedge

I absolutely love shrinking levels in games, but they're so rare and so rarely done well.
American McGee's Alice had a level which was very fun, I thought. So did Kingdom Hearts with their Wonderland level - it is one of my favourite worlds!

Also, one of the first "racing" games I played on the PS1 was Micromaniacs. Very fond memories of this game. The levels were amazing and so diverse!

PSqueak

Banned
I think he's talking about the Wonderland level in KH1

Wonderland had shrinking that was thematic to the level, Ventus appearing in Cinderella's house shrunk dow while Aqua and Terra don't shrink in the same level, was incredibly out of place.

I was hoping we could make it past the first page without vore getting involved.

You know it's possible to have a giantess fetish without a vore fetish, right?

gabagool

Banned
Daxter, the entire game, was basically a shrink mode version of a Jak game. You got to see the city from an entirely different perspective.

Duke Nukem Forever spent way too long with that feature.
That's because the game had nothing else to offer.

Eblo

It's based more growing than shrinking, but the Katamari series often starts you out at the size of a mouse before you build your way up.

Mushroom Battle from Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition was hilarious.

Tekken-Tag-WiiU-Nina-Mushroom-Battle-Dragunov.jpg

You could shrink twice and also increase 2 (3?) times. So fights could get weird like this.

Kirye

Mystical Ninja 64.

Ebisumaru gained the power to shrink down in size to get past tiny rat holes or fences. Was actually pretty creative and you could do it on the fly. Tried to find a picture but it's an old, slightly obscure game.

Not out yet but SCALE uses this as a core mechanic. Technically you're making other things really big (or small) rather than getting shrunk yourself but its effectively the same thing.

Haunted

Perspective kinda does this. You don't actually physically grow or shrink anything, but with its clever use of perspective the player quickly learns that everything is relative, including sizes and distances.

Psychonauts had that level where you played in the board game. Remember that? It was kind of Risk-like RTS thing I think.

psychonauts.jpg
Fantastic level.

Top Bottom