• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with successors/spiritual successors coming back after a long break

bitbydeath

Which are you most looking forward to or have enjoyed which have already released?

What I've enjoyed-

Buzz! -> Knowledge is Power
I'm not exactly sure if Knowledge is Power has any direct connection but it is obviously inspired through graphics, humour and gameplay.

Exited for-

Theme Hospital -> Two Point Hospital
I was a massive fan of Theme Hospital, Theme Park and Bullfrog games in general so it is great to see this gem finally coming back.

mrbogus

Neo Member
X-COM UFO Defense -> X-COM Enemy Unknown
Wonder Boy in Monster Land (and subsequent sequels) -> Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom

Velurian

Rollcage - Grip
Death Track - Death track Resurrection
Prince - Prince of Persia and the Sands of Time
Tomb Raider - Tomb Raider
Planescape Torment - Torment the Tides of the Numenera
Fallout 2 - Fallout 3
Starcraft BW - Starcraft 2

Depends on how long is long...but this list could be really ... long :)
I mean compared to the yearly COD/Fifa release, games that take more then 5 years to produce a sequel take a long time.

Last edited:

DiscoJer

Empire, which was sort of the original 4x game, is coming back with Empire Deluxe Combined Edition. (It's actually, for a while in the early 90s this was almost literally a genre, with lots of companies making their own Empire style game. But then no one made them, until now)

Julian Gollop who made the original X-Com is coming back with Phoenix Point

Valdega

Fallout 2 -> Fallout: New Vegas
Planescape Torment -> Torment: Tides of Numenara
Doom 2 -> DOOM 2016
System Shock 2 -> Prey
Deus Ex -> Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Shadow Warrior -> Shadow Warrior

Shifty

Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries came out 16 years ago

Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries is out late this year

It's been a while.

Last edited:

subsmoke

There's a rumor going around that Perfect Dark 3 is in development by Microsoft although Rare is apparently not involved this time around.

Codes 208

Zelda oot > Zelda tp
Zelda lttp > Zelda lbw
Doom > Doom '16
Sonic 3 > sonic mania
Gears 3 > Gears 4
Yoshis island > Yarn yoshi
Sm64 > SMO
Dark Souls > Bloodborne

BONUS, sequels/spiritual successors that i feel didnt quite hit the mark

Sonic Generations > Sonic Forces
Star wars Battlefront 2 > Star Wars Battlefront 2
Zelda WW > Zelda PH/ST
Half-Life series - > Titanfall 2 campaign
fight me
I...i dont see the correlation.

Tarkus98

Well since it’s currently on the first page I’m going to go with Fear Effect Sedna. I really like the “look” of the game and hopefully they have modernized the controls a bit.

How about the wait between Super Mario Land 2 (1992) and New Super Mario Bros.? Luckily, Mario's return to 2D was great, with the classic Mario gameplay we all know and love as well as new additions like a ground pound and wall jump.

The wait between Donkey Kong Country 3 (1996) and Donkey Kong Country Returns was even more unbearable for me, but thankfully, it delivered.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Age Of Empire III > Age Of Empire IV

Been waiting for this one for years and even if it's Relic, I HAVE to be optimistic

Last edited:
Top Bottom