• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with the worst lore?

I say Assassin's Creed. Having fun in historical settings is ruined by all the aliens and animus stuff.

I don't even mind the Animus stuff. It's a silly and a bit unnecessary, but I think it's largely harmless. And it could have paid off well if it weren't for
ya know, the Desmond thing.
The First Civilization and god-alien stuff is just so bizarre and unnecessary though. I genuinely don't understand whoever thought it was a good idea to staple that on.

Malreyn

Final Fantasy 13 "Trilogy". Each game has a certain amount of "lore" to establish their own kind of world building that makes them contradict or fail to acknowledge anything from each other.

Roldan

MGS until 3 had a very consistent lore. Then 4 tried to come with answers for nearly everything that happened earlier in the series,
which I actually like, but I do recognize it's a complete clusterfuck.

I loved PW and V as well (there, I said it), but don't get me started on them.

Also, Kingdom Hearts has the potential to have a good lore, but the franchise is buried under a writing that manages to be worst than Kojima's, IMO.

Solidsoul

Banned
It's Halo.

The lore was good at one point, still good but hard to follow at another and ultimately now a convoluted joke.

The Kingdom Hearts lore is not that hard to understand, there's a boy named Sora and everyone is Sora.
I love KH but it's KH

343 Halo. The fact that they explained the Forerunners and Flood were bad enough, but to make them so lame, goofy, and uninteresting is worse. Not to mention the absurdity of ONIs mustache twirling villainy that they've now injected.

Dice//

Banned
The overarching Kingdom Hears lore kills whatever interest I have whenever a new trailer for KH3 comes out.

Yep.

It's interesting sometimes and dramatic....but drawn out, complicated, and so loosely "Disney" I can't really wrap my head around it and appreciate it other than just enjoying it for the wild ride.

Kalentan

It's Halo.

The lore was good at one point, still good but hard to follow at another and ultimately now a convoluted joke.

The funny thing is that Halo story is still easy as fuck to follow in terms of the lore. (I'm talking everything not just the games.) It's hardly convoluted. Then again people consider a lot of stuff that isn't convoluted, convoluted.

The Victorian

Neo Member
Dragon Age.

Take the most hackneyed, cliched, well-worn High Fantasy setting imaginable, coat it in a thin layer of that dark-and-gritty-with-a-side-of-titty-whore-n'-gore fantasy that's all the rage these days, shamelessly nick WH40K's magic system, and you've got the essence of Dragon Age. Absolutely nothing about it is original or compelling in the slightest.

Solidsoul

Banned
The funny thing is that Halo story is still easy as fuck to follow in terms of the lore. (I'm talking everything not just the games.) It's hardly convoluted. Then again people consider a lot of stuff that isn't convoluted, convoluted.

I disagree.

I've read all the books and followed all of the lore, I understand it but that doesn't mean it's not convoluted. It isn't easy to follow, and that by definition is convoluted.

I can't count how many people I've had to explain Halo to. Most people I've met played them and had a blast but really didn't know what was going on.

Loxley

I'd say Halo is some of the most well-rounded game lore between Reach and Halo 3 - it's the forced continuation of Chief's story that has muddied a lot of that stuff for me :/

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It pretended to be interesting and then they changed direction with it and it's true colors of being the shallow excuse to throw in game mechanics into random settings were exposed. The game you're playing being set up as a game the main character is playing is not a brilliant anything.
It didn't pretend to be anything, there was(and still is) a genuinely interesting framing device for what we call video games and the gameplay systems, like controlling a character, a HUD, character customization, there being a convenient haystack whenever you want to perform a leap of faith, npcs that look similar, cheat codes, glitches, etc, other games have no narrative excuse for these things, AC however does.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Agreed with AssCreed, Gears of War, MGS, and Dragon Age. For all the reasons already listed so far.

I'll add Kingdom of Amalur too. Really bland and uber-generic fantasy with very little of interest going on. Even Dragon's Dogma, with its super-generic setting and monsters borrowed from D&D and from traditional Euro mythology, managed to be more creative about it.

It didn't pretend to be anything, there was(and still is) a genuinely interesting framing device for what we call video games and the gameplay systems, like controlling a character, a HUD, character customization, there being a convenient haystack whenever you want to perform a leap of faith, npcs that look similar, cheat codes, glitches, etc, other games have no narrative excuse for these things, AC however does.
You really don't stop huh

CHC

I'm playing Remember Me right now, and while I really love the game itself and the whole aesthetic, I haven't read a single piece of history or anything. It's hilariously stupid and unbelievable with this "SenSen" device which records your memories for a corproration called "Memorize" etc.... It's so dumb, almost in a lovable way, though. It's clear they put a ton of work into fleshing out the world, but the initial idea is just so stupid that it, unfortunately, was kind of all for nothing.

Assassin's Creed is a big one - I really couldn't give a fuck about any of the templar / assassin shit whatsever. Get all that outta my face and give me a big world to run around in.

Lastly I'm gonna say Dragon Age. Yeah I know people get all into this shit but it felt like COMPLETELY derivative western fantasy, mostly inspired by Tolkien, and offering nothing that I (as a seasoned tabletop roleplayer and fantasy reader) hadn't seen done a thousand times before, and done better. The few ideas that were cool were done a terrible disservice by their presentation in the game world, anyway. "These aren't orcs - they're DARKSPAWN!" Even just hearing the nouns from that game (Grey Warden, Ferelden, Dalish) makes me yawn. Don't get me wrong I appreciate how fleshed out the setting is - the amount of detail is quite impressive - but none of the ideas are interesting to start with so....

A-V-B

Kingdom Hearts, maybe. Seriously, some of the most insane stuff I've ever heard.

Even weirder that it used to make sense back in the first game.

Advance Wars.

aTNzEmU.jpg
What are the COs even fighting for?
Do the soldiers even know what they are fighting for?
Why are they always so happy about it?
What government and/or nation do they represent?
DO THEY THINK THIS IS JUST A GAME?!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Resident Evil does not respect the term "suspension of disbelief" at all. It worked fine for the B-movie horror vibe it had in the first three games or so, and then again in RE4 since it was isolated from the rest of the series in many ways, but the overarching story from Code Veronica on has snowballed into something completely nonsensical, even by B-movie horror standards.

It's supposedly the real, normal world, and each game has spies, secret organizations, monstrous B.O.W.s, organizations created specifically to fight said B.O.W.s (many of them), comic book villains, and, worst of all, terrible dialogue

Although said dialogue works in favor of these two

char_15747.jpg

1238148461753.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

shoreu

Halo.

Even setting aside the shitty ancient human with absurd technology bullshit, the way the novels have degenerated since Eric Nylund left is super depressing. The Catherine Halsey character assassination is the worst, especially since it comes hand in hand with wanking out the stupid evil group known as ONI.

no. just no.

also this guy above me no....

no. just no.

also this guy above me no....

Yes. Just Yes. The original Halo trilogy had a sense of mystery about it when it came to the Forerunner and Flood. 343 decided to throw that away so the Flood could be generic bioweapon instead of a creepy extragalactic hivemind entity like the Zerg and the forerunners could be space wizards that looked like Voldemort. Don't even get me started on the idiocy of making 343GS a human.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You really don't stop huh
I'm addressing the "it's the worst framing device" thing. People aren't actually justifying that stance, meanwhile i'm justifying mine and how it works and why it continues to be used and expanded upon as the series progresses. So by all means address the points made instead of this driveby nonsense.
How doesn't it do these things?
provides a framework for gameplay systems like controlling a character, a HUD, character customization, there being a convenient haystack whenever you want to perform a leap of faith, npcs that look similar, cheat codes, glitches, etc

//ARCANUM

KINGDOM HEARTS: You haven't kept up with every single spinoff game spanning multiple platforms and various remakes, expansions, etc, and haven't replayed each game 3 times? F YOU BUDDY. GOOD LUCK.

Edit - for real though I won't be buying KH3 because I know I'll have ZERO clue what's happening.

Advance Wars.

Came to say this. It is nothing but endless small talk between characters.

Fandangox

Advance Wars.

I love the gameplay, but yeah, in Advance Wars war is essentially treated like Pokemon Battles.

The one about the extinct ancient alien race who left powerful technology behind. With the "chosen one" special snowflake main character and bad guys with a weird vage religious themed back story.

shoreu

Yes. Just Yes. The original Halo trilogy had a sense of mystery about it when it came to the Forerunner and Flood. 343 decided to throw that away so the Flood could be generic bioweapon and the forerunners could be space wizards that looked like Voldemort. Don't even get me started on the idiocy of making 343GS a human.

Here you go with this sense of mystery again.. The flood aren't just a generic bio weapon not even close they are so much more complex than what you're making them.

343 answered questions and expanded the lore on the Forerunners and gave us a look into their culture how is this a bad thing? Were they supposed to stay a shrouded in mystery for all of eternity because Bungie said so, what the hell do we gain from that?

No they aren't perfect but what "god" race is they were flawed just like us that made them real.

And why is GS being an ancient human an issue again please enlighten me.

Top Bottom