• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games You "Accidentally" Finished.

Head.spawn

The Darkness II.

I was playing, enjoying most of it and maybe I zoned out on a few things, kill some thing I was barely paying attention to... credits.

I was like, okay it's weird that they're running credits in the middle of the game. I waited through the credits, thinking maybe Act 2 is coming up afterwards.

Holy fuck, that game is short.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Castlevania: SotN and then again with Dawn of Sorrow. Those fake final bosses, man.

DMiz

Thinking about it harder, I think the one recent example I can recall is Wild Arms V. It ramps up sufficiently enough, but the last boss and the sequence that follows right after it just seem to make the game 'end' without much closure.

Whogie

Batman Arkham City

People didn't hold back spoiling the ending for me, so I thought it was some mid-game plot point. Plus the game was really short since I didn't care much for the sidequests, so when it happened I was surprised when the credits started to roll.

Assassin's Creed 4 just kinda' ended. I didn't realize it was wrapping up.

Molemitts

GTA V. I didn't expect the mission I was playing to be the final one. It was 11 at night and I had college the next day. I wanted to stay around for the credits, see if anything goes on afterwards. But holy shit, those credits last way over an hour, I'm sure.

Dark Souls. I mean, I knew I was at the final boss, but I wasn't prepared for
the game ending the instant you use the bonfire in that room. I was so used to just resting at every bonfire that I didn't even notice that the text for this one was different

Exact same scenario for me.

QuikNez

Borderlands 2.

Initially, I was put off by the cartoony art style, it was hard to take the game seriously (despite the critical acclaim), then I played it - fucking amazing.

Demon's Souls. I wanted the good ending. After I killed the last boss I recall Maiden lady going down on her knees to perform this seal or whatever it was. I was curious about whether it was possible to hit and damage her or not. So I went up to her, slashed her with my gigantic sword and she fell down. Suddenly a cutscene appeared and I knew things were going bad in terms of getting a good ending so I quit to the PS3 menu immediately. When I started the game again I started on New Game+, with the bad ending achieved and without seeing the ending at all.

Pirabear

Banned
How does this happen? It's pretty obvious when you trigger the end-game part...

I expected at least an endgame dungeon or something based on how nice the last area of the game looked?
And that final boss, if you can call it that..
It just felt oddly abrupt to me.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Demon's Souls. I wanted the good ending. After I killed the last boss I recall Maiden lady going down on her knees to perform this seal or whatever it was. I was curious about whether it was possible to hit and damage her or not. So I went up to her, slashed her with my gigantic sword and she fell down. Suddenly a cutscene appeared and I knew things were going bad in terms of getting a good ending so I quit to the PS3 menu immediately. When I started the game again I started on New Game+, with the bad ending achieved and without seeing the ending at all.
You decided to try testing killing the Maiden during the end-game sequence? And then chickenshit out of the consequences of your act by quitting to the PS3 XMB?
lol, this whole thing is your fault, you realize that right? :)

gblues

Banned
Suikoden 4, I discovered the hard way, has a few places where you can force a "bad end." The one I found is where you can choose to stay on the island. I had thought, "Oh, this must be where I'm going to build the castle for all my peeps. Sweet!" ... not so much.

But, you do get some slick-looking alt character portraits to look at!

Dark Souls 2 had such an abrupt ending and the boss was a push over as well.

This is the one. I really don't know what the "final boss" was supposed to be. It sets it up to be like DS1 where you have to defeat a group of bosses to gain the right to the final boss. Little did I know the final boss was a pushover, or a boss for that matter.

terrisus

Skyrim: The thread

Seriously, when you beat the main quest of the game, it's just kind of like,
"...Oh... That's it?..."

Mexen

The first Star Ocean. It seemed like it was finally starting to get interesting. And roll credits.

The length of the game is what made me for like 'wtf'. Same thing happened with Chrono Trigger. I always think JRPGs are much longer than they are.

I expected at least an endgame dungeon or something based on how nice the last area of the game looked?
And that final boss, if you can call it that..
It just felt oddly abrupt to me.

Was thinking the same about ending. It was obvious that the game was about to end but that last "fight" was, ugh, lol.

But the area looked so pretty.

Grand Theft Auto III. It was one of my earliest experiences with an "open world" type of level design so I naturally got caught up meandering for hours without touching the main storyline. I distinctly remember having to commit myself to the primary missions to avoid getting burnt out of the gameplay, but I ultimately lost sometime after reaching the third island. It was about two-to-three years later, preceding San Andreas, that I popped the game back and discovered I was simply three missions away from finishing the entire thing. I would've easily toughened it out had I'd known I was that short of reaching the goal.

Rell

Dark Souls 2. It was a huge surprise to me for the path to the final boss to just be behind a random locked door in a castle.

This is the same thing that happened to me.

I thought I was just wrapping up more loose ends/going to find some shortcuts between the different areas, find a boss, defeat them, and then the cutscene and credits.

Then I realized the name of the final boss was actually a pretty important plot point.

At least the game was merciful enough not to immediately plunge you into new game +, so I could actually pick up the pieces and figure out what exactly had just happened.

IpsoFacto

Broken Sword II - The Smoking Mirror
Fable III
Final Fantasy XIII
Vanquish (to some extent)
Blade Kitten
Rayman Legends

caesar

Banned
Suikoden 2

At one point the mc has the option of just giving up, I just did it to see what would happen. I didn't think it would actually end the game.

Myriadis

Pikmin 3, because it was a really short game.

Yeah, it's actually one of the games where I really wanted more. Having 66 fruits on the screen, I thought that there should be at least one more world to make it a round number. And then, final boss level. At least that one was pretty long.

Also, Final Fantasy X.
I remember some unremarkable last area which didn't feel like a ultimate dungeon and a spot where you have to touch 10 bubbles or whatever they are to fight 10 battles and straight after that, an alright fight with
Jecht
. I thought that there was some more after that boss, a new area or something, but straight after that another boss fight that you can't even lose and final scene, credits.

Redrop

Dark Souls 2. It was a huge surprise to me for the path to the final boss to just be behind a random locked door in a castle.

My god, this so much. I really enjoyed Dark Souls 2, but the presentation for the ending of the game is utterly anticlimactic. I had previously spoiled myself a little bit because I saw a map showing a generalized view of all the locations in the game, and as soon as I acquired the King's ring I wanted to explore all of the doors that I knew it would open. I ended up exploring the
Throne of Want first, ending up beating the first half of the final boss to come to the conclusion that it was just a cool optional challenge.
But of course, after finishing all the other quests, I realized that the endgame really was at
the Throne of Want, and that you'd just go through the fog again to fight Nashandra.

When the final cutscene played out after the fight, I was also expecting a
choice, given how the herald was literally saying "your choice to make," but instead you just sit on the throne, the doors close, and the credits roll.

SoulUnison

Banned
I did every side quest and event in Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2.

Mass Effect 3, I enjoyed it, but by the time the climax was approaching I was starting to get burned out, so I didn't read the galaxy map as well as I should have, and went past the "point of no return" without ever doing the Quarian/Geth final mission.

By the time I'd realized what I'd done, I just didn't have the drive to replay up to that point and finish it. Even when I loaded the game back up for the Extended Cut ending.

Then I sold my 360.

I have 1 and 2 on Steam, maybe someday I'd do a full trilogy run on PC and finish things the way I meant to.

ElTopo

Banned
Demon's Crest. Got the bad ending and thought "That was it? I've only been playing for an hour."

Bram Stoker's Dracula on Genesis. Somehow I died at the Dracula's Brides boss and got the end credits signifying Dracula is dead.

WillyFive

Really? Didn't that game have more dungeons than any other Zelda? At least twice as many as Windwaker.

Yeah, not only that the climax of TP was one of the most effectively climactic endgames of the series, the game itself was ridiculously packed in its adventure content, so much so that there were barely any sidequests leftover.

Theman2k

Did anyone mention rage yet?
That fucking ending came out of nowhere!

I enjoyed the game too and I wasn't ready for that ending at all.
I also didn't get the feeling I used the weapons enough by the end of the game, it felt so bad, and the fact the ending sucked didn't helped my feelings either.

LostAnkh

Castlevania SOTN, even though I knew there was an inverted castle, I didn't know how to get to that part of the game until I got the bad ending.

jasonng

Just finished Sleeping Dogs for the first time. I was playing through a mission and thought to myself "this feels very last mission-ish" but I doubted myself because story wise there was a lot of loose ends to tie. Beat the mission and they pretty much half-assed it and rushed the rest of the story in cut scenes. Great game but pretty bummed with the crap ending.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
do chapters in games count? because it JUST happened to me earlier in Dead Rising 3, I had no idea talking to the lady would end chapter 1 and it pissed me off, I wanted to do a bunch of stuff

Gears of War.

Raam just seems like another midboss with no buildup, and then BAM - credits.

Really? Raam was the main antagonist throughout the game and everything about the tone gave it a pretty clear "this is the end" feeling. Granted, the rest of the game's story had sort of wonky pacing and I never quite felt what like I fully got what was going on, but the end definitely felt like one to me.

Iastfan112

Neo Member
The Witcher 2.
Don't know why but i got it into my head that there was a fourth chapter, so I was completely blindsided by the fact it ends after three. It took me a while to realise how good the game was after that.

Last mandatory boss fight was brutal for me as I accidentally skipped any side quests in Act III. My silver sword was from early act II and did so little damage. I resorted to many bombs and throwing knives. Stupid CDPR, I just wanted to reintegrate Triss into the story, not end the game!

Kings fan

I absolutely love the game but man did that surprise me when I finished the random "super difficult level" only to find out why it was super difficult... because it was the last level.

Was taken aback as Pikmin 2 had you do a whole 2nd quest to 100% the game while Pikmin 3 straight up finished at that point.

Famassu

Borderlands 2.

Initially, I was put off by the cartoony art style, it was hard to take the game seriously (despite the critical acclaim), then I played it - fucking amazing.
Whatever made you think Borderlands 2 is a game meant to be taken seriously? The cartoony style somewhat reflects the absolutely ridonculous nature of the game.

Xenoblade Chronicles. I wasn't sure if I was approaching the final battle or not and... yeah, it was it. I have a save before it though. Wasn't sure if I should load it up or start a new game+ so I just took a break from it. I don't think I'm gonna return to that game anytime soon, don't wanna tire myself of the system before X drops.

How could you not be sure? The game actually stops you and tells you that it's the last save point before the end. I mean, it should have been obvious anyways since the story was wrapping up and you were in a place that screamed "final area," but the game actually warns you about the last save point. If you were really caught off guard, you just weren't paying any attention at all.

Avex

Neo Member
Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes and Destiny...

The two people I was playing destiny with simultaneously said "Wait, that's it?" after the last mission.

Top Bottom