• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games You "Accidentally" Finished.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

Busy exploring around and killing guards just because I could. Accidentally wound up getting to where I need to to continue the story. Then once I got through that, the memory sequence ended but
we were back to Desmond anyway, so I thought I just have to finish dealing with him to get back to being Ezio. Then shit happens and it's the end. Not only did I feel it was too damn short, but because it was prepping up for Revelations right after it, it's ending was not a conclusion but a continuation which I did not expect

Vintage

The Matrix - Path of Neo
Took the blue pill when Morpheus offered it. Game finished.

heh

Now I remember another one, South Park: SoT:
At the part where you shrink yourself and go into anus, I was like "nope, not doing that" and went other direction to a room on the left. Then bomb explosion cutscene played and credits rolled in. One of the funniest stuff in this game.

For that reason i really appreciate if RPGs gives you a "when you start this quest theres no way back" warning before starting the final mission.

Also i would say Destiny, but that would imply that the game has a story at all.

Mexen

If I may ask, how does one accidentally run into the final boss battle in Persona 3? It's pretty obvious.

The events leading up to it. As I explained earlier
before being given the option to let Ryuji live or die, I had unlocked Monad, Margaret's portal and reached the top floor of Tartarus. All this at an average level of 75 with 39% of my persona compendium unlocked and only 4 maxed out S Links. I thought to myself, before I visit monad/Margaret, max all S Links and get all personas, lemme see where the story goes from here because in my head it was far from over... and boom, one month till final boss.
The morale died for me. I still have the new game+ save so I'll get round it some day.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Hohokum.

Basicly me and my girlfriend was trying to find the last world but all of a sudden when we got back to the Home-world we had finished the game. Since we basicly had no clue what we were doing or why we were doing it to begin with it seemed apt.

Black Flag. I remember doing a quick mission, expecting some more, then all of a sudden
kid appears
. Such a great Assassins Cr... I mean, Pirate Game.

Rage has probably been stated many times here so:
Rage
. I was aware the ending was rather abrupt but it still caught me off guard.

kamakazi5

Fallout 3. I did part of the main story before going off and doing tons of side quest stuff. After 10-15 hours I decided to do some of the main quest again. Before I knew it the credits were rolling and I was wondering how I got so far since it only seemed like I did a handful of main quest missions. I kind of felt like reloading an earlier save but decided not to.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver is the one that really stuck with me. Partly because I remember reading a preview that stated that it had 3 battles with Kain and fights with all five (?) siblings. So I've defeated Dumah and I'm on my way to fight Kain for the second time. I fight him in a badass fight in the Time Streamer, and then:

'Welcome, time-spanned soul. Welcome. To. Your. Destiny~~~~."

To be Continued.

-_-;

LakeEarth

Going back a ways, but King's Quest VI. I knew that there was a point where you went to the afterlife, I knew there was a secret island that I didn't know how to survive yet, but you can beat the game before all that by painting a door at the side of the castle. I was like ohh... you can beat the game already huh?

You can only get the 'bad' ending though, which is just the good ending with less surviving characters.

EDIT - my mistake, painting the door on the wall is the "correct" way of getting in. The other way of getting in is dressing up as a woman and sneaking in with other maids. Sorry, it's been two decades.

Makonero

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers.

Awful game. I thought, "No way will the so obviously bad guy be the final boss."

He was.

Also, terrible game.

Chase17

Pikmin 3. I figured I would still have time to get the other fruits but instead I unknowingly beat the final boss, was launched into a cutscene and got the "bad ending". Wasn't a big deal though since I could just go back a day or two

Ultratech

I don't even know how you'd "accidentally" finish FFXII and P3P.

P3 throws all sorts of warnings at you and crap before you hit the last boss (plus, it's pretty obvious when you are at that point).

XII isn't quite as obvious, though the final dungeon was technically The Pharos and the last boss is kind of a disappointing fight.
Still, you're going off to fight the Big Bad of the game, so...I don't know how you miss that.

Dark Souls

Had no idea that guy was the final boss since I smashed him so easily. Just seemed like a regular enemy with a cool sword. The path that lead to him was more difficult than the confrontation itself.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
When visiting my parents, my dad was stuck on this one mission in GTA 4, so he passed the controller to me to help out on (which I did). Then the game ended. Blimey.

...I wouldn't have done it if I had known it was the final mission against wotsisface.

Aylinato

DOTA 2, I actually didn't know what MOBAs were and then the match was over. I was rather surprised and I don't like repedative leveling up. Lol.

Patryn

The events leading up to it. As I explained earlier
before being given the option to let Ryuji live or die, I had unlocked Monad, Margaret's portal and reached the top floor of Tartarus. All this at an average level of 75 with 39% of my persona compendium unlocked and only 4 maxed out S Links. I thought to myself, before I visit monad/Margaret, max all S Links and get all personas, lemme see where the story goes from here because in my head it was far from over... and boom, one month till final boss.
The morale died for me. I still have the new game+ save so I'll get round it some day.

But.... you can't unlock Monad until January, after the decision? You also can't reach the top of Tartarus until January, also after the decision. The final block is locked and inaccessible until January 1st.

Unless you're talking about NG+.

You decided to try testing killing the Maiden during the end-game sequence? And then chickenshit out of the consequences of your act by quitting to the PS3 XMB?
lol, this whole thing is your fault, you realize that right? :)
True men explore the limits of the game to the very end, and then regret their choice when it fucks up their entire playthrough. She sure wasn't going to tell me "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended, so the world might be mended." anymore after that. Serves her right.

cakely

Dark souls. After you beat the final boss (which was clearly the final boss), you're presented with a bonfire.

You have two choices at this point, each which gives you a different ending and a different trophy. You click on the bonfire, or walk away. Either rolls the credits and ends the current playthrough.

Muffdraul

Soul Reaver 2. "Oh boy oh boy, pretty soon I'm finally going to reach the point in this game where it stops being completely linear and the world opens up and I get to explore all over the place, just like SR1. Mmm, can't wait. Whoa, hold up a sec... why are the end credits rolling?"

Furyous

Destiny is the first game that comes to mind.

I'm at the opening screen trying to figure out where to grind and I notice a random daily story mission. I start it thinking that it will be another hard mission to grind stuff in. I complete it and all of a sudden I get a cutscene and pseudo hot alien chick. At this moment I realize that this was the last mission.... but where are the credits? Talk about an anticlimactic last mission.

I knew something was wrong because the mission was ridiculously hard.

Gonna have to go with Destiny too.

Thought I was doing just another mission because nothing felt close to a finale or like I was about to be finished and then suddenly I got the Star Wars party and apparently I had finished the story :/

taizuke

Maybe i haven't been thorough but no Skyrim mentions yet? That game is like 5 hours long if you just stick to the story. lol

Maybe i haven't been thorough but no Skyrim mentions yet? That game is like 5 hours long if you just stick to the story. lol

Sure the main story is short but it's not like you get to the end and accidentally finish it. The last missions and fights are very clearly the ending.

Goldrush

Xenosaga. Knew there was two songs with vocals in the game. When I heard the first song, thought that I was at most 75% through with the game. Then the second one came on right after...Doesn't help that I was expecting the setup of the Xenogear Perfect Works where each episode takes place hundreds of year apart.

Persona 4. I absentmindedly started a new game plus and overwrote my original run even though I didn't get the best ending. For some dumb reason I just assumed I had to play through it again in new game plus to get a better ending.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Killzone 3.

What better a final level for a FPS game than an on-rails space shooter.

Retro

Metal Gear Solid 2. I beat it in one sitting because I was sure any minute now this lame Raiden guy was going to get sniped, captured or have a good cry or something and Snake was gonna get tagged back in to save the day and the game would get back on track after veering wildly off the rails after the Tanker ended. I remember thinking "Wait, that's it?!", wondering if I'd missed something in my sleep-deprived state, like this was the "bad ending" and I had somehow missed my cue to finish the game. I remember waking up a few hours later, seeing similar reactions online, and trading the game in the next day (I *never* trade in games) just to be rid of it. I figured I could just replay the Tanker demo that shipped with Zone of the Enders since everything after that felt like a bland, generic training stage for something bigger that never came.

Since I didn't buy a PS3, that was actually the last Metal Gear game I played. Given how off the rails Kojima went after that, I'm not sure I missed out too much.

Mexen

Metal Gear Solid 2. I beat it in one sitting because I was sure any minute now this lame Raiden guy was going to get sniped, captured or have a good cry or something and Snake was gonna get tagged back in to save the day and the game would get back on track after veering wildly off the rails after the Tanker ended. I remember thinking "Wait, that's it?!", wondering if I'd missed something in my sleep-deprived state, like this was the "bad ending" and I had somehow missed my cue to finish the game. I remember waking up a few hours later, seeing similar reactions online, and trading the game in the next day (I *never* trade in games) just to be rid of it. I figured I could just replay the Tanker demo that shipped with Zone of the Enders since everything after that felt like a bland, generic training stage for something bigger that never came.

Since I didn't buy a PS3, that was actually the last Metal Gear game I played. Given how off the rails Kojima went after that, I'm not sure I missed out too much.

Similar feels with the Tanker mission.

Mexen

But.... you can't unlock Monad until January, after the decision? You also can't reach the top of Tartarus until January, also after the decision. The final block is locked and inaccessible until January 1st.

Unless you're talking about NG+.

You've actually made me think about when exactly I beat Death. Lol.
I suppose in all fairness, you do see the end coming, I guess I just didn't want to accept it because of level, compendium and having unexplored Monad and Margaret. I assumed something would change because in my head I was far from ready to face Nyx.

AwShucks

Actually, Sleeping Dogs recently. I was like "I should go do some side missions after this mission". Only that mission didn't end until the credits rolled.

Koren

SOS: Final Escape...

There's an ending in the middle of the game
if you decide to ride the helicopter and leaving other survivors behind
. I just wanted to see what would happen, I wasn't expecting an alternate, early, ending.

Mesoian

Shadows of Mordor. Figured I had another 5 hours in a part three style change over after being able to form the Orc army.

Nope. Went through a door, got the point of no return warning, and beat the game. Pretty flacid.

Ogawa-san

SteamWorld Dig.

The first boss is actually the last. This would be a spoiler if the game lasted more than 3h.

Gaf-Recommended™

Flarin

Persona 4

MAJOR SPOILER:
I threw who I thought was the true villain into the TV at the hospital. Nanako dies and the games just ends. I was so furious. Never been that mad at an ending before. Thankfully I had another save and was able to make a different choice to finish the game properly.

For me it's Metroid Fusion. It doesn't matter how many times I play it I always manage to somehow trigger the endgame where it's impossible to go back and 100% finish the map.

Every. Single. Time >_<

Top Bottom