• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you just gave up on in 2023

JaksGhost

Forspoken.
Bought it on sale on PSN. Absolutely atrocious game. The best part was the NYC intro. Everything after in the open world is the worst shit ever. Couldn’t take more than 2 hours. I will never touch it again. Money down the drain. Horrible stealth. Horrible gameplay. Believe it or not, the protagonist is the best thing about it.
There's not a single part in Forspoken's story that requires stealth unless you're talking about the damn optional cat shrines which is the only section that activates a stealth command prompt. Also with only two hours in you didn't get past the introduction. But I also don't knock people for not liking it because the character writing is atrocious. I wanted to mute Frey because whoever wrote for her must've been living in a shack in Oregon because NYC was far from a character trait.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Alan Wake 2 - Broken buggy bullshit (but its Remedy's worst game so who cares)
Immortals of Aveum - It's actually really good, but Im not in the mood for a slightly overwhelming Metroidvania
Ass Creed Mirage - Same old Ubi crap just shrunken down a bit
Final Fantasy 16 - I will get back around to this but at that point I might as well start fresh since I wont know what the hell is going on
Diablo 4 - What a bad idea that was to uncover the whole first part of the map, knocking out all side caves and stuff only to start the campaign proper afterwards and already having my fill.
Starfield- Poopsocking for those first two weeks was a bad idea. Ill get back to it a year from now when most of its issues have been (hopefully) ironed out

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Almost all of them. I think the only ones I played where the credits rolled were Spider-Man 2 and Venba. I'll wrap up Super Mario Wonder this weekend and Starfield over the upcoming long weekend. I don't have time to finish everything.

tommib

There's not a single part in Forspoken's story that requires stealth unless you're talking about the damn optional cat shrines which is the only section that activates a stealth command prompt. Also with only two hours in you didn't get past the introduction.
After NYC there’s a stealth section that goes on forever with some girl, pass some soldiers. What is this shit if not braindead stealth?

pgnGiYv.png

Last edited:

Hunter 99

Forza motorsport..i prefer horizon 5,much more fun for me.i love the open world and driving around different towns and driving on the seafront.if I want a serious driving sim I'll stick to GT7

Starfield..just not engaging at all,too much boring planets and boring people.lacks the magic of fallout and skyrim.

Jusant was OK,I finished it in 4 hours or so but damn some of the climbing was FRUSTRATING. The last chapter was the best part for me.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Holy shit I forgot I even bought FF16. So, I guess that.

Days Gone, I got to a point in the story that just made me not want to continue with all the running around and running out of gas. I ran out of gas. Not fun.
Returnal, I only played quite a bit before tedium set in. I ended up going to another game and just have no interest going back into that dull void of a world.
Diablo 4-I played through the main story (way too short)but that loot is just not the way I wanted the game to be. I have no want to go back over and over to collect then abandon legendary attributes. So dumb.
Luigis Mansion-I could not understand what to do or how to follow a ghost, I got stuck wandering halls and just said F it and Uninstalled.
Lies of P-What the hell, way too difficult. Rage delete with extreme prejudice.
Death Stranding-I got it free on some service and my controller turned off during one of the cut scenes. That turned me way off.
I've bailed on too many Gamepass games to remember. Also finished too many Gamepass games to remember.

I almost gave up on Forbidden West but pushed through to the end. I rolled my eyes more than I rolled Aloy while dodging.

SCB3

Immortals of Aveum - It's actually really good, but Im not in the mood for a slightly overwhelming Metroidvania
Final Fantasy 16 - I will get back around to this but at that point I might as well start fresh since I wont know what the hell is going on
Diablo 4 - What a bad idea that was to uncover the whole first part of the map, knocking out all side caves and stuff only to start the campaign proper afterwards and already having my fill.
Starfield- Poopsocking for those first two weeks was a bad idea. Ill get back to it a year from now when most of its issues have been (hopefully) ironed out

Do you just not like games? Out of all of them only Immortals was bad

Anyway for me,
  • Armored Core 6 - It was a good game but I just was not enjoying its difficulty spikes seemingly every few missions
  • Lords of the Fallen - I was souls like burnt out after the excellent Lies of P and this game wa nothing compared to it, I may go back to it though
  • Marvel Midnight Sons - I keep hopping on and off this, I actually really like it, but its far too long, after nearly 40 hours I was done, but apparently I've about 3/4 of the way through
  • Like a Dragon Ishin - I only quit this as I wanna go play the other Yakuza games first, I've only played 1 game with Kiryu - 0 and wanted a bit more of him first

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Do you just not like games? Out of all of them only Immortals was bad

I love my games. This really was a consequence of having so many bangers release so close to each other, and I played like 99% of the heavy hitters this year. Ill eventually get back to all of that stuff sans AW2. 2024 doesnt seem nearly as packed so that'll probably be when all of that stuff finally gets knocked out.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Atomic Heart was the biggest letdown for me but I still finished it.

On the other hand, I expected Diablo 4 to suck harder but I even ended up coming back to play seasons. It's not a bad game but the battle pass scam is what suffocating it at the moment.

DiGiTMerc

Banned
Diablo 4 for sure. Even the Diablo 4 panel in Blizzcon 2023 was literally poor showcased. 70€ down the drain. :(

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
Not simply stuff you wouldn't have looked at if it wasn't on Game Pass, although obviously things like that may well be included.

I'm talking games you were genuinely looking forward to playing, but then the reality of them proved to be quite disappointing. Things that were hyped to the max, or recommended to you in reviews or on forums. I have fairly low tolerance towards games that waste my time, so here's my 2023 list of the Prematurely Uninstalled, which I have divided into broad categories:

I expected great things but they underdelivered
High on Life (played for 2h 6m)
Ghostwire Tokyo (56m)
Cities Skylines 2 (24m - that's probably less than 5,000 frames rendered)
Jusant (1h 18m)

Wasn't expecting greatness but they still underdelivered
Exoprimal (12m)
A Short Hike (34m)
Maquette (1h 18m)

Just ran out of enthusiasm for this
Cocoon (2h 12m)
Somerville (1h 29m)
Atomic Heart (3h 20m)
Super Mario Wonder (10h)
Street Fighter 6 (4h 6m)

Enemies spawning behind me or unfair bosses = rage uninstall
Dead Space Remake (59m)
Bramble The Mountain King (3h 49m)
Hi-Fi Rush (1h 12m)

The 'WTF is happening?' poorly explained multiplayer confusion award
Payday 3 (1h 34m)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (17m)

Hooray for Steam's refund policy, 2023 edition
Subpar Pool (30m)
Terra Nil (1h)
A Little To The Left (25m)

At least half of this was menus and loading screens
Starfield (26h 22m)
I think you just don't like video games.

Starfield - I kept yawning for nearly 12 hours people asked to give for it to be exciting. It never did.

Diablo IV - Good campaign, bad everything else.

Atomic Heart - I feel it'd have been much better as a 3rd person action instead of first. I wanted to like this game, really good concept but the 1st person turned me off big time.

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty - I love souls genre and play almost all major titles but this one had really bad controls and extremely flashy graphics for my taste.

Forspoken - SE did us wrong with this one, I was hoping for great visuals and combat but it was just dump and dumb.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
After NYC there’s a stealth section that goes on forever with some girl, pass some soldiers. What is this shit if not braindead stealth?

pgnGiYv.png

This section was probably the worst gameplay that I've experienced this year. MJ sections in Spider-Man 2 are genius in comparison.

2 big name games that I dropped this year:

Forspoken after 3.9 hours
Atomic Heart after 116 minutes

Games on pause:

Baldur's Gate 3: I think I will need to start from the beginning at this point
Alan Wake 2: I love it but I'm not in the mood to finish it right now

tommib

This section was probably the worst gameplay that I've experienced this year. MJ sections in Spider-Man 2 are genius in comparison.

2 big name games that I dropped this year:

Forspoken after 3.9 hours
Atomic Heart after 116 minutes

Games on pause:

Baldur's Gate 3: I think I will need to start from the beginning at this point
Alan Wake 2: I love it but I'm not in the mood to finish it right now
I’m with you. That stealth section took me 3 tries because and I’m not kidding I kept falling asleep. I play at night after work and that shit is so brainless, so inactive, that I would just shut down.

I played like 30 minutes after that horrendous sequence and was done with it. Terrible, terrible game.

Belthazar

Mario Wonder on the last badge challenge (only thing left to 100% completion) and Sonic Superstars on the final boss (but I will get back to it eventually).

Spiritfarer. At times the game was a beautiful experience. Most of the time it was mind numbingly boring. After a while I had to call it quits.
Was that this year? I also dropped it, noticed it's on netflix games I may try and go back to it there.

FF16 - the quality dropped off so hard and so quickly that it makes me angry and embarrassed that I recommended it to a friend.

Diablo 4 - so obviously grindy that it rapidly felt like having a job. I don’t understand what the point of this game even is. Also, it’s not conducive to quick 30 min sessions.

Baldurs Gate 3 - started off so well but the lack of non romantic dialogue options started to really annoy me, then I realised I dreaded every fight. Looking back, I think the story is crap and the world utterly charmless.

I’ve wasted a lot of money on games this year.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Nier Automata - first 10 minutes of boring fetch quests and doing fucking nothing was enough for me.. fuck that

Ni No Kuni - I was enjoying the story and world building but the bad fight system turned me off really quickly and too much childish

Calisto Protocol - repetitive as fuck, overly cryptic story, spend the first 2 hours just moving to someplace to do something for someone without purpose or reason..

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Final Fantasy XVI: game just bored me to death, I fell asleep like 4 times. Finally dropped it around 70%, it’ll be the only mainline FF game I didn’t finish.

Diablo 4: honestly just couldn’t get into it.

Forza Motorsport: went to install it on Gamepass and saw oh, you can install the free version but if you spend more then you can get carpass, and while you’re at it join the VIP club for double credits…. Forget it, turned me off immediately.

Baldur’s Gate 3: amazing game but I didn’t have the time to dedicate to it. Will give it another shot when I don’t have so much on my plate.

Last edited:
Nier Automata - first 10 minutes of boring fetch quests and doing fucking nothing was enough for me.. fuck that

Ni No Kuni - I was enjoying the story and world building but the bad fight system turned me off really quickly and too much childish

Calisto Protocol - repetitive as fuck, overly cryptic story, spend the first 2 hours just moving to someplace to do something for someone without purpose or reason..
Ah yes, Nier Automata. I gave up on that too. Braindead combat kills an intriguing set up.

Ogbert

Lords of the Fallen = dogshit.

Alan Wake 2 = good game, well done but not for me.

But by far the worst was Diablo 4. What a steaming pile of dung.

Last edited:

VideoHideo

Neo Member
Tears of the kingdom. I done almost everything in breath of the wild. But this game I just couldn’t do it. It just felt like work.

cireza

Hi-Fi Rush was super fun ! Give it another try. Don't try doing elaborated combos, simply do the basic combo in rhythm with the quick attack. Don't dodge, parry all the time (not that hard, you can be almost invincible actually). Spam your assists and enjoy.

I didn't give up on Loop8 and it was one of the worst games I have ever played.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Can’t remember if I dropped any aside from AC Mirage, but I dropped that because I wanted to play other games and I’ll go back to it. I usually finish every game I start unless I absolutely hate it or it’s cheap and I refuse to play any longer.

ungalo

Lies of P, i was tired, every boss was a pain in the ass and never got any pleasure learning the fights, which is weird because i usually do and the gameplay itself is not bad, i don't know i didn't feel it.

Sea of Stars, very boring, i stopped playing near the end. I forced myself to play thinking it would get better because it was a game made by the guys who made The Messenger but at some point i couldn't.

And Tears of the Kingdom, felt very addictive for 50 hours, but unedible after 70 hours, it's just endless recycling and meaningless content with underdeveloped mechanics.

nemiroff

Gold Member
The most notable ones:

Diablo 4
Alan Wake 2
Starfield
Remnant 2

Starfield wasn't so bad in general, but funnily enough it was indeed mostly the loading screens that killed it for me. The game deserved a seamless experience.

Diablo 4 wasn't so bad either, but it became bland surprisingly quickly. ..I paid 200 for two copies because I was convinced me and my son would do countless hours in coop. ..we didn't.. Money so utterly wasted.

Alan Wake 2.. Holy fuck on-rails ride.. I played it for two hours, but in that short time it had already managed to make me fall asleep. Very disengaging game for me. Sad.

Remnant 2... I couldn't stand the gameloop and poor level design. For shame.

Metnut

I might give up on TOTK. Reached the final boss in a state without any helpful healing items and it’s either going to take a few hours to farm the necessary items or a few hours to “get good” and beat the final boss with only taking 2-3 hits.

Really enjoyed the game but don’t care about the story and am ready to move on to something else, so not sure if I’ll end up finishing it.

Shakka43

Ghostwire Tokyo
Amnesia: The Bunker
Cocoon
A Hat I Time

I might come back to them later on (except for The Bunker) but at the moment I have zero desire to continue playing them.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Not simply stuff you wouldn't have looked at if it wasn't on Game Pass, although obviously things like that may well be included.

I'm talking games you were genuinely looking forward to playing, but then the reality of them proved to be quite disappointing. Things that were hyped to the max, or recommended to you in reviews or on forums. I have fairly low tolerance towards games that waste my time, so here's my 2023 list of the Prematurely Uninstalled, which I have divided into broad categories:

I expected great things but they underdelivered
High on Life (played for 2h 6m)
Ghostwire Tokyo (56m)
Cities Skylines 2 (24m - that's probably less than 5,000 frames rendered)
Jusant (1h 18m)

Wasn't expecting greatness but they still underdelivered
Exoprimal (12m)
A Short Hike (34m)
Maquette (1h 18m)

Just ran out of enthusiasm for this
Cocoon (2h 12m)
Somerville (1h 29m)
Atomic Heart (3h 20m)
Super Mario Wonder (10h)
Street Fighter 6 (4h 6m)

Enemies spawning behind me or unfair bosses = rage uninstall
Dead Space Remake (59m)
Bramble The Mountain King (3h 49m)
Hi-Fi Rush (1h 12m)

The 'WTF is happening?' poorly explained multiplayer confusion award
Payday 3 (1h 34m)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (17m)

Hooray for Steam's refund policy, 2023 edition
Subpar Pool (30m)
Terra Nil (1h)
A Little To The Left (25m)

At least half of this was menus and loading screens
Starfield (26h 22m)
OP - I have the same reaction to some of the games you listed and the opposite reaction to a bunch of them.
Games I didn't want to end
High on Life - Loved it laughed my ass off
Atomic Heart - So good and so unique a lot of people hated the main character, but I actually liked him
Starfield - My favorite game so far this gen. After 240 hours I was depressed when I finished the game.
Dead Space - I played the trilogy earlier this year, but I'm loving this one just as much

Games I gave up on

Cocoon - I probably played it for about a half hour and dumped it. It wasn't what I expected and it was boring and repetitious.
HiFi Rush - I thought it was a great game but it turns out I've got NO rhythm and had to give it up when I couldn't progress because I suck so bad.
Ghost Wire Tokyo - I thought I would really love this game, and I did for several hours until I got bored with how repetitious it was.

I have some that I've yet to finish, I just haven't had the time and I'll put something down and forget my progress and just prefer to start again. But I haven't given up on any of them as I've actually really enjoyed all the games I'm playing right now that I've had to put down.

I've got playthroughs going for

Alien: Dark Descent
Remnant 2
Cultic
Boltgun
Baldur's Gate 3.

I really want to pick up Alan Wake 2 as I was such a huge fan of the first one, but I just A. Don't have the money or B. The Time so that's probably the only reason AW2 isn't on that list.

I fully intend though to spend any significant time I have with BG3. I've already got nearly 200 hours into it and still feel like i've only scratched the surface.

Alan Wake

Somerville I stopped playing when the janky controls prevented me from progressing. Wasn't any fun anyway.

Atomic Heart looked and sounded great but I resented the main character more and more and thought the combat was a bit eh.

Tears of the Kingdom: bought it despite the fact that I didn't like Breath of the Wild, started it, gave it a go, and put the cartridge back.

TexMex

FF16 - the praise it gets is more confusing than any game I’ve played in years. Game is total ass

Remnant 2 - I dig the mechanics and like the game overall. I think this was just the victim of too many games.

Jedi Survivor - a combination of garbage performance and just overall boredom. It actually seems decent, this one I may pick up again one day

Armored Core VI - this is just on me. Knew I wouldn’t like it going in but grabbed it on From hype. Hated it.

M.W.

WTF

My list is exactly the same.

AW2: Boring and the detective stuff is mind numbingly stupid.
IOA: Played on mid range PC so it was a bad experience though I liked what I had played.
ACM: Played the majority of it, just couldn't bother to finish it because I don't care.
FF16: One of the most boring games I've ever played.
D4: Did the campaign and that's it because, again it's boring.
Starfield: Again, pure boredom with awful writing and it was a technical mess.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
WTF

My list is exactly the same.

AW2: Boring and the detective stuff is mind numbingly stupid.
IOA: Played on mid range PC so it was a bad experience though I liked what I had played.
ACM: Played the majority of it, just couldn't bother to finish it because I don't care.
FF16: One of the most boring games I've ever played.
D4: Did the campaign and that's it because, again it's boring.
Starfield: Again, pure boredom with awful writing and it was a technical mess.

Best Friends Friend GIF by PermissionIO

Sushi_Combo

This indeed was not the best year in gaming as some crazy lunatics in here are saying.

FFXVI - Stopped 4 hours in because of bad pacing and generally bad performance overall. I heard they patched it so might return to it eventually.
Jedi Survivor- Same snoozefest as the first one
Calisto Protocol- Bad and repetitive gameplay, stopped after just a few hours.

Roberts

Callisto Protocol - I will eventually get back to it but the ps360 era gameplay and clumsy delivery of horror elements just made me jump the ship.
Amnesia: The Bunker - I enjoyed it for what it was and then the monster appeared and I got more annoying than unnerving and tense.
The Bookwalker: Thief of Tales - I actually like it, but again, more interesting games are installed on my xbox.
Arcade Paradise - It is cool for an hour or so but then it just becomes a job.
Edge of Eternity - not very good
F.I.S.T.: Forged in Shadow Torch - I keep on coming back to it, because I think I like it, but then I play for 20 minutes and can't really find a reason to continue.
Fuga: Melodies of Steel 2 - I don't get it.
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom - me and my daughter loved playing the first one and we finished it but this one just doesn't capture the same magic.
Outer Wilds - It is actually an amazing game, but then I get stuck at a puzzle and somehow don't feel like watching a guide.
GoldenEye 007 - Would have played it through if they actually put any effort in remastering it.
Godfall - ZZZZzzzzZZZZZzzzzZZZZ

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Forspoken.
Bought it on sale on PSN. Absolutely atrocious game. The best part was the NYC intro. Everything after in the open world is the worst shit ever. Couldn’t take more than 2 hours. I will never touch it again. Money down the drain. Horrible stealth. Horrible gameplay. Believe it or not, the protagonist is the best thing about it.

Sonic Frontiers.
I family share with my godson and bought it mostly for him but thought that maybe there was a good game there. There isn’t.

Layers of Fear.
I bought this piece of shit on day one thinking the graphics would be amazing because “Unreal 5 much awesome. Wow. Such lightning”. Horrible. It has the psychological horror subtlety of a hammer to the head. Played 2 hours. Graphics are all washed out and the writing made me want to tear my eyes out.

PSVR2.
Never touched again after the first 2 weeks. Never finished Call of the Mountain.
You mfer

QHHs0F1.jpeg

Last edited:

Danknugz

for me the question isn't "what games did you give up on" it's more "what games did you bother wasting more than 20 minutes of your time with"

starfield about 20 hrs
forza 8 up to like 15 hours if i had to guess
texas chainsaw 20-30 hours
quake2
skater xl

Top Bottom