• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you just gave up on in 2023

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
tommib tommib I also returned psvr2 after SOMEHOW finishing call of the mountain....
But now that it's way cheaper, I am thinking about getting it again. RE4 vr should be coming out soon

tommib

tommib tommib I also returned psvr2 after SOMEHOW finishing call of the mountain....
But now that it's way cheaper, I am thinking about getting it again. RE4 vr should be coming out soon
Yeah, I’m also curious about the 7th Guest. I just find it a hassle to put it on and calibrate.

calistan

I think you just don't like video games.
I protest! I love games, and aside from the other 2023 ones I mentioned elsewhere in this thread, that I either completed or am still enthusiastic about, I've played a lot of older stuff this year. Flight Simulator, Elite Dangerous and Hitman have been in regular rotation for many years. I replayed Link's Awakening and the Bioshock trilogy too, those all represent significant chunks of time.

There are other factors that have caused me to quit so many games lately:
1. Ease of access. Not since I used to pirate the bejeezus out of the Amiga scene has it been so easy to play unlimited numbers of games. Game Pass and refunds on most PC stores eliminate a lot of the risk.
2. Experience has taught me to recognise the stuff I'm not going to enjoy (i.e. I'm too old for this shit).

I've noticed the same thing with TV shows, although that started a looong time ago, probably when I dropped The Sopranos half a dozen episodes before the end. There are many things that I've started watching and maybe enjoyed for a while, then gave up when it became a chore. There's virtually unlimited "content" out there and life is too short to spend waiting for one particular thing to click.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Ghostwire Tokyo: I might return to this to push through. I’m about 10hrs in.

Jusant: We’ll made game and I love the look. But…do I want to spend my time figuring out how to climb to the next climbing section, or shoot some motherfuckers in the face??

Atomic Heart: I mean…eh. It’s not bad but I’m shooting evil mannequins.

Tiny Tina: I will get back to Tina, but my problem is most of the guns just lack that cool factor.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah, I’m also curious about the 7th Guest. I just find it a hassle to put it on and calibrate.
The comfort was tragic for me. It kept sleeping down my nose and sweet spot was shit.
But now there are mods and vr cover accessories for headband. And there are also lenses for my shortsightedness... so I might try it again.
if it only used normal fucking strap and these new pancake lenses. But sony cheapened out.
7th guest, re4 and village vr, gt7. That's at least something

hinch7

Surprised at the negs for FFXVI that was one of the highlights for me, this year.

OT recently.. Alan Wake 2. Game is just too slow, self indulgent and gameplay two steps back. Which is just a massive dissapointment coming from Remedy. Feels like a bit like Death Stranding where the lead director/writer may have had too much say in the project and here we are (also dropped the game). Atomic Heart is another. AC VI first boss put me off and I played and enjoyed Souls games, so noped after that. As I knew it would be a tedious and hard grind fest. Tried Baldurs Gate and realised that I've kinda gone away from liking CRPG's.

Last edited:

salva

RedFall: did the first intro mission than it was a no from me dawg.

Jusant: Lasted about 30min. After you climb the first wall... Meh.

TotK: I'm only about 15hrs in and haven't stopped just yet. But as soon as I landed on Hyrule this feels too similar to BotW. Not sure I'm gonna last, I am enjoying it so far, but for how long...?

Edit: Atmoic Heart: oh yeah this one, actually don't know why I stopped? Played it over a few days then just stopped for some reason?

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Both Final Fantasy 16 and Starfield were vapid, dull, and by the numbers. Dropped the both of them happily after about 12-14 hours on both.

JayK47

OP is a serial quitter. But I kind of get it as well. With services like Gamepass, why play something that doesn't hold your interest? I finish a lot of games simply because I paid for it and force myself to play it to the end.

I see Atomic Heart mentioned a lot. Yeah, that game was shit. I quit it.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
SF6 went back to SF5 I think its is far better

Alan Wake 2 and FF16

I'll just quote what I already said about these games

AW2
What do you call a boring, pretentious walking simulator with bad acting/writing, cringe cut scenes,
lame puzzles, shit pacing and a completely uninteresting MC?

A remedy entertainment game

Alan Wake 2 is everything thats wrong with the modern video game industry in a neat package

FF16
Its like the game was trying to bore me

This game wasn't interesting enough to hate its serviceable at best at its worst completely forgettable

Tales of Arise which I thought was pretty dull and uninspired is a blockbuster summer hit compared to FF16

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Lords of the Fallen. Made a whole thread on it. 1/10. Game wiped 4 hours of playtime once I reached final boss. I wasn’t about to replay all the bosses and chore segments up to then. Fuck right off.

Hogwarts Legacy. Boring , horrible pacing, ran “ok” on my 3080, and just a dull everything. Gave up around the part when you learn how to do Merlin quests.

Octopath 2. Got decently far but fell off. It’s just me and a JRPG thing. Never finish them anymore and used to be my favorite genre. They are just games that can’t grip me anymore, but that said octopath 2 is a recommend from me. Well done game.

Baldurs Gate 3. Finished act 1 then gave up. Too much game for me.

Forspoken and RedFall too I guess, but I expected they’d suck ass and they did. I was hoping forspoken would get better but it never did. Gave up on forspoken probably 10 hours in and RedFall too.

Poppyseed

Not simply stuff you wouldn't have looked at if it wasn't on Game Pass, although obviously things like that may well be included.

I'm talking games you were genuinely looking forward to playing, but then the reality of them proved to be quite disappointing. Things that were hyped to the max, or recommended to you in reviews or on forums. I have fairly low tolerance towards games that waste my time, so here's my 2023 list of the Prematurely Uninstalled, which I have divided into broad categories:

I expected great things but they underdelivered
High on Life (played for 2h 6m)
Ghostwire Tokyo (56m)
Cities Skylines 2 (24m - that's probably less than 5,000 frames rendered)
Jusant (1h 18m)

Wasn't expecting greatness but they still underdelivered
Exoprimal (12m)
A Short Hike (34m)
Maquette (1h 18m)

Just ran out of enthusiasm for this
Cocoon (2h 12m)
Somerville (1h 29m)
Atomic Heart (3h 20m)
Super Mario Wonder (10h)
Street Fighter 6 (4h 6m)

Enemies spawning behind me or unfair bosses = rage uninstall
Dead Space Remake (59m)
Bramble The Mountain King (3h 49m)
Hi-Fi Rush (1h 12m)

The 'WTF is happening?' poorly explained multiplayer confusion award
Payday 3 (1h 34m)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (17m)

Hooray for Steam's refund policy, 2023 edition
Subpar Pool (30m)
Terra Nil (1h)
A Little To The Left (25m)

At least half of this was menus and loading screens
Starfield (26h 22m)
Jusant was so bad. I was waiting for it to get good, but realized (too late - 2 hours in it) what a load of rubbish. I've no idea why it's getting so much love. Such a bore, with unpleasant controls and no real purpose.

xrnzaaas

Hi-Fi Rush - just another reminder I'm terrible at rhythm games and I don't want to spend hours training and hoping that by some miracle I'll improve.
Amnesia the Bunker - I got angry after I thought the game has saved progress and lost a lot after the first death. But I think even without that I'd probably drop it. I love horror, but the beginning didn't click for me.
Serial Cleaners - I loved the first game, abandoned the sequel about half way through. The female characters are just awful and I don't want to play them or listen to them talk. Some enemy patterns also make the levels a pain to get through and clear all the objectives. The first game was too easy, but they clearly went in a different direction this time.
The Last Case of Benedict Fox - I really wanted to like this game because of the graphics and setting, but I got lost many times and playing this game without a guide doesn't seem fun. Not to mention it's got some gameplay problems related to jumping and other stuff.
Diablo 4 - Not exactly abandoning, because I didn't buy the game. Playing the open beta ensured me that it's not a Diablo for me anymore.

calistan

OP is a serial quitter. But I kind of get it as well. With services like Gamepass, why play something that doesn't hold your interest? I finish a lot of games simply because I paid for it and force myself to play it to the end.
I used to think the amount I paid for a game had an effect on the amount of time I was prepared to give it, but I spent longer on Starfield (Game Pass) than I did on SF6 and Mario Wonder combined (both full price). Out of the three I enjoyed Mario Wonder the most, but it still outstayed its welcome.

Jusant was so bad. I was waiting for it to get good, but realized (too late - 2 hours in it) what a load of rubbish. I've no idea why it's getting so much love. Such a bore, with unpleasant controls and no real purpose.
I just got stuck in that game. Spent ages (20 minutes) looking for the path upwards, and while I was effectively banging my head against the wall and clambering around the same areas looking for a handhold, I realised I wasn't having any fun. If a game is going to leave me struggling to make progress, it needs a better reason than simply 'everything looks the same and I can't see where I'm meant to go'.

World of Warcraft: Dragonflight

Even though the game is outdated, I kept coming back, but finally the writing for the story and quests is so bad that it's helping to keep me away for good.

Spiderman 2

Woke. Also bad writing.

Dark and Darker

My brother tried to get me into this. This game's combat is just not for me.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

Coming straight from Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, this was not a good experience. The combat is sloppy, lazy, and difficult without reward (on hardest difficulty).

Last edited:

RavageX

I think that would be in a special category of Noped right out at the final boss

Last year Elden Ring was that game for me - 80 hours, so I got value for money in terms of time played, but it's counteracted by the massive disappointment of only being able to see the ending on Youtube.

So I quit playing the first Octopath for the same reason. Overall I was disappointed in the game, was wanting a more impactful story I suppose and then to find I need to do more BS for a true ending I passed. I bought the second one on sale before I "finished" the first and since it is the same way I might as well sell it now.

I don't think I like retro styled games unless they are truly retro and not just made to look like it. The Star Ocean remake/master seems interesting.

Starfield I fell off a cliff with. Damn disappointing.

Mario Wonder- it looks like it should be the best Mario ever...until I realized how pathetically easy it is. This one hurts. Doesn't Nintendo already have Kirby and Yoshi?

2023 has a lot of hyped games but most have been disappointing in some way.

Even games like Forza, Zelda, Diablo disappointed in some ways

Naked Lunch

I hate to say it but Armored Core VI.
Ever since From sold out to the crybabies and nerfed the boss Balteus - I lost all respect for the game.

I basically got to (un-nerfed) Balteus - defeated him after many different tries and builds - and played that boss battle over and over for 2 weeks.
Then suddenly it was nerfed with no warning what so ever. You can now kill the boss without even using a single health kit easily. My entire fun in that game, gone. I haven't even attempted to play past it - and I just dont even care anymore.
Actually I went back to the PS2 Armored Cores...

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Final Fantasy XVI - I can't stop thinking of Games of Thrones when I play it, and it just turns me off.
Baldur's Gate 3 - The opening section is so ugly that every time I play it, I just turn it off. I'll get to it eventually.
Hi-Fi Rush - It looks cool, but in the end it's a third person character action game, and I have a hard time getting into them.
Somerville - This one was really disappointing based on the pedigree of the developers.
I absolutely hate FF16 setting. The villains suck. Like you said, they took inspiration from GoT and it shows. I could describe the game with two words only. Cringe and edgelord.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Add me to the list of people who dropped Final Fantasy XVI. I still think the first act is great, but then it went and dropped the themes and story threads that I was actually interested in.

Schmendrick

Briefly tested and found lacking (dropped/returned/demoed):

- Spider Man 2. 4hrs
- Starfield. 3 hrs

Played for quite a while but lost interest at some point (dropped)

- Tears of the Kingdom. 20 hrs
- Luigi's Mansion 3. 10 hrs
- Diablo 4. 40 hrs

Enjoyed till the end:

- Wo-Long
- Hogwarts
- CP2077 Add-on
- Like A Dragon

Currently playing:

Alan Wake 2
Mario Wonder

Poppyseed

I used to think the amount I paid for a game had an effect on the amount of time I was prepared to give it, but I spent longer on Starfield (Game Pass) than I did on SF6 and Mario Wonder combined (both full price). Out of the three I enjoyed Mario Wonder the most, but it still outstayed its welcome.

I just got stuck in that game. Spent ages (20 minutes) looking for the path upwards, and while I was effectively banging my head against the wall and clambering around the same areas looking for a handhold, I realised I wasn't having any fun. If a game is going to leave me struggling to make progress, it needs a better reason than simply 'everything looks the same and I can't see where I'm meant to go'.
I got stuck quite a few times, and it wasn't fun any of those times, even after figuring it out. I never had any fun, at any point. What's worse is that I didn't realize it was on GamePass, and bought it on Steam because of the glowing reviews. Ouch. I put in slightly more than 2 hours before deciding I'd rather stare at a wall, so couldn't even request a refund.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

I think my main one this year was FFXVI, because the beginning 15-20 hours I was having fun, I was invested, the boss battles were crazy. Then I was just kinda playing out of inertia for another 15 hours or so. Then I realized the game had become a boring, tedious slog and I no longer cared to finish.

What else. Didnt finish DeadSpace Remake. I think I was quite close to the end too and just suddenly lost interest. It happens.

Third Id say Diablo IV, even though I technically finished the campaign on two characters, I just expected the endgame to last me a lot longer. Instead it was just too slow, too repetitive without adequate reward, and the battle pass added nothing of value to my experience.

Last edited:

Nydius

Redfall: Don't really need to say much about this one, do I? Just bad all around and I don't trust everyone claiming the latest patch made it better. Don't want to waste my bandwidth downloading it again.

Immortals of Aveum. Picked it up used despite the reviews. First few hours, it didn't seem that bad. About 6 hours in I had the "is this all there is?" moment. Then Spider-Man 2 arrived, I pit that in, and never loaded Aveum again. Just deleted it off my internal drive this afternoon. The reviews set my expectations low but I'm still disappointed. It could have been so much better than what the final product ended up being.

Last edited:
I protest! I love games, and aside from the other 2023 ones I mentioned elsewhere in this thread, that I either completed or am still enthusiastic about, I've played a lot of older stuff this year. Flight Simulator, Elite Dangerous and Hitman have been in regular rotation for many years. I replayed Link's Awakening and the Bioshock trilogy too, those all represent significant chunks of time.

There are other factors that have caused me to quit so many games lately:
1. Ease of access. Not since I used to pirate the bejeezus out of the Amiga scene has it been so easy to play unlimited numbers of games. Game Pass and refunds on most PC stores eliminate a lot of the risk.
2. Experience has taught me to recognise the stuff I'm not going to enjoy (i.e. I'm too old for this shit).

I've noticed the same thing with TV shows, although that started a looong time ago, probably when I dropped The Sopranos half a dozen episodes before the end. There are many things that I've started watching and maybe enjoyed for a while, then gave up when it became a chore. There's virtually unlimited "content" out there and life is too short to spend waiting for one particular thing to click.
This is the wisdom of age.

Bartski

Gold Member
Dying Light 2. Made it to the central area, there is a lot to like about it but way too many issues.

But the biggest one was Starfield. About 8 hours in total, I literally felt asleep with the controller during my first 2 play sessions, uninstalled after the third one and never looked back.

SimTourist

Callisto Protocol - what a waste of 10$. I made myself a promise to finish all games I buy but with this one I can't continue, it's just so boring. And I just finished AW2, RE4 and Dead Space Remake before it, and it's so poor compared to those games. Some people raved about the graphics but I didn't see anything special there either, just generic sci-fi design.
Hogwarts Legacy - I wish I had a game like this when I was younger when I was into HP, but it's just a bit boring and too vanilla for me. I haven't dropped it completely yet, might still push through with the main storyline, but it's a bit dull.

Last edited:

SHA

Outlast 2, it's just about escaping, weak, powerless character with zero strength except the useless camera he got, and he always end up in worse place than before, it's irresistible, there is just too much to bear with to beat this game.

Last edited:
Star Wars Jedi Survivor:
Was unable to defeat a multi-stage boss (probably 2/3 of the way through the game) and after about 20+ attempts decided to put down the game and move on. Will revisit eventually.

Hogwarts Legacy:
Was having a good time with the game (probably 25 hours played) but I was getting burned out and decided to take a break. Haven't touched it since Spring, hopefully I'll get back to finishing the story.

Diablo IV:
My first Diablo experience. Was admittedly addicted for the first week or so, but the grind became too much and I put it down. I'll eventually beat the main story and probably never touch it again.

GymWolf

Ff16, great first half, dog shit second half, terrible pace, story going full cringe anime.

Starfield, i endured 40 hours of that thing, never again.

Atlas fallen, it released between way better games so i got distracted, the couple of hours that i played were decent but i can see getting bored after like 10-15.

Redfall, even as an arkane fanboy i wasn't able to resist more than 10 hours of that thing.

Terminator resistence, bought on a whim after finishing robocop, but even if the game is decent it's nowhere near robocop quality.

Dave the diver, i had a lot of fun with it but the combat is just too fucking simple and basic to keep my interest for long.

Jedi survivor, i just got bored 3\4 in, disney really managed to erase all the love i had for star wars universe, amd the game was getting bit too long on the tooth.

Waiting for patches to continue bg3 and fallen.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Tears of the kingdom and starfield. Put about 30 hrs into both and realized they don't respect the players time and moved on.

Very close to dropping spiderman2 cause of its shit story, but knowing it's almost over, I dunno maybe I'll push through

Last edited:

MastAndo

Starfield - I was looking forward to it, but it was met with a complete lack of interest basically from the start
Forza Motorsport - it was fun for a bit but the incentive to play after completing a few tours just wasn't there. I may not have hung this one up for good, but I couldn't help but think that if I wanted to play something like this at any given moment, GT7 + VR is just a better experience
NBA 2K24 - don't even know why I bought this

gothmog

Gold Member
I don't even remember what I completed versus what I dropped. Too many high profile games this year. I'll be spending the next 6 months sorting out what I want to get back to.
Surprisingly I finished D4 and am actually enjoying season 2. It's not great in the plot department but it showers you with what it has which makes a difference.

Starfield I just stopped. I will be back when they finish the game.

calistan

I typically force myself to beat every game I get, but I may drop Valkyrie Elysium.
I take it you don't subscribe to Game Pass then! It's so tempting to think that the next thing on the list is going to be the one that really grabs you, and so easy to ditch it when it turns out to be less than you hoped.

If I'd included all the Game Pass things I tried this year despite being 99% certain they'd be steaming turds / not my thing, I could have also mentioned:

The Wandering Village
New Super Lucky's Tale (played it purely to grab 250 reward points, I knew it was shit from its Oculus Rift days)
Chicory: A Colorful Tale
Norco
NHL 23
Eastward (actually thought that would be okay, it should have gone in the main list)
Hot Wheels Unleashed
Fuga Melodies of Steel 2 (lost the urge and uninstalled without playing it, so perhaps a bit unfair)
Toem
Serious Sam Siberian Mayhem
Inertial Drift

clarky

Gold Member
I don't even remember what I completed versus what I dropped. Too many high profile games this year. I'll be spending the next 6 months sorting out what I want to get back to.
Surprisingly I finished D4 and am actually enjoying season 2. It's not great in the plot department but it showers you with what it has which makes a difference.

Starfield I just stopped. I will be back when they finish the game.
Absolutely this.

Think D4 is the only game i "finished" this year.

TOTK, played about the same as BOTW that is about 3 of the "dungeons".
Phantom liberty, fired it up to check out the path tracing. 1 hour on the clock
1 hour on the clock. BG3 15 hours on the clock
Starfield did better 70 hours in, not even close.
Aliens DD 4 hours on the clock.
Spiderman 2 1 hour in, about the same play time i have in the first one

Warzone Resurgence is mostly to blame, i don't care what anyone says that mode is the tits, i could play it all day( and mostly do).

The list goes on. You name it this year I've bought it and dropped it. I have an illness that not even gamepass can cure.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I only buy games I know for a fact I will love. 100$ prices will do that. It’s the only good thing about high prices, I don’t buy games I *think* I’ll like. Only games I’m certain are of high quality get my money.

I’ve beaten every game I’ve played this year. Alan wake 2 is next

Last edited:

Muffdraul

RE4 remake - I dunno, I loved the original RE4, I loved the RE2 remake, I even loved the RE3 remake. From the day it was announced, I just never really gave a shit about an RE4 remake. I guess because, in my mind, the 2 and 3 remakes were sort of about updating them into the "new" format that 4 established. I'm sure it's a great remake and all, but I played it for a couple of hours and it just couldn't hold my attention. I loved the original despite it being, in my mind, RE in name only. I've always thought it should have been spun off into a new IP. But that didn't matter much, I still played the original god only knows how many times on GC, Wii, PS4...

FFXVI - My first FF was IV in 1992, and VI was the game that turned me into a head over heels fanboy in 1994. FF had me in its grip up to XII. I had extremely high hopes for XIII, but after X-2 and XI, that was the game that broke this camel's back and I lost all enthusiasm and hype for FF. That didn't stop me from playing and enjoying FFXV when it released. I was so down on it from the day it was announced as FFvsXIII, I was actually surprised at how good it turned out to be, considering it was lost mutant of a project that barely escaped from development hell. So, I figured it would be a no-brainer that I'd enjoy FFXVI. I couldn't have been more wrong. I have NO IDEA how any self-respecting OG FF fan can see that game as anything other than a ridiculous and boring piece of shit. It's insulting that anybody from the old Square FF dev teams thought that game deserved the FF name.

Alan Wake 2 - I shouldn't say I've given up on it, I barely played the first hour or so. But I'm just not in the mood for a game that slow and methodical yet. Spider-Man 2 got my blood going, and I decided to follow that up with finally playing the PS5 remaster of Spider-Man 2018, which I've have in my library since Miles Morales launched.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
FFXVI - My first FF was IV in 1992, and VI was the game that turned me into a head over heels fanboy in 1994. FF had me in its grip up to XII. I had extremely high hopes for XIII, but after X-2 and XI, that was the game that broke this camel's back and I lost all enthusiasm and hype for FF. That didn't stop me from playing and enjoying FFXV when it released. I was so down on it from the day it was announced as FFvsXIII, I was actually surprised at how good it turned out to be, considering it was lost mutant of a project that barely escaped from development hell. So, I figured it would be a no-brainer that I'd enjoy FFXVI. I couldn't have been more wrong. I have NO IDEA how any self-respecting OG FF fan can see that game as anything other than a ridiculous and boring piece of shit. It's insulting that anybody from the old Square FF dev teams thought that game deserved the FF name.
I guess technically I bailed after the demo for the game. So glad I trusted my instincts and personal opinion. Life long FF fan myself, so I wrestled with that choice.

Top Bottom