• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you just gave up on in 2023

Koenigssee

All of them except FFXVI.

Tired old modern AAA BS got me playing Company of Heroes for the first time and I'm loving it.

Fbh

Humanity and The Talos Principle. Weirdly both of them Puzzle games.
Humanity was kinda cool but the Golden guys or whatever they are called annoyed me ...but they also seem to unlock stuff so I didn't want to ignore them.
The Talos Principle I tried because I saw some hype for the sequel, but during the 2-3 hours I played most Puzzles were pretty easy/boring and I thought it would have more of a narrative hook beyond just throwing a ton of text files at you.

Raven117

Final Fantasy XVI - I can't stop thinking of Games of Thrones when I play it, and it just turns me off.
Baldur's Gate 3 - The opening section is so ugly that every time I play it, I just turn it off. I'll get to it eventually.
Hi-Fi Rush - It looks cool, but in the end it's a third person character action game, and I have a hard time getting into them.
Somerville - This one was really disappointing based on the pedigree of the developers.
Oh keep playing ffxvi. It quickly loses the game of thrones vibe to something more dull.

Muffdraul

I guess technically I bailed after the demo for the game. So glad I trusted my instincts and personal opinion. Life long FF fan myself, so I wrestled with that choice.
I put at least 10 hours into it, thinking maybe it would suddenly open up and improve somehow. Eventually it sank in, nope, this is the game. All style, zero substance. Hell, if it was a different style, something more imaginative like FFVIII or X or even XIII, I might have been able to stick with it longer. The whole pseudo-medieval "classic fantasy" motif has been played out for me since I stopped playing AD&D in the mid 1980s.

MarkMe2525

I don't know if I just reached my fill of Starfield, or it's the fact I haven't played really any flat gaming since getting my Quest 3

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Angry Gary Oldman GIF

Solrac

Rise/Sunbreak. After coming from Iceborne and being addicted to it, this last entry is quite disappointing, at least to me.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Days Gone, I got to a point in the story that just made me not want to continue with all the running around and running out of gas. I ran out of gas. Not fun.
Returnal, I only played quite a bit before tedium set in. I ended up going to another game and just have no interest going back into that dull void of a world.
Diablo 4-I played through the main story (way too short)but that loot is just not the way I wanted the game to be. I have no want to go back over and over to collect then abandon legendary attributes. So dumb.
Luigis Mansion-I could not understand what to do or how to follow a ghost, I got stuck wandering halls and just said F it and Uninstalled.
Lies of P-What the hell, way too difficult. Rage delete with extreme prejudice.
Death Stranding-I got it free on some service and my controller turned off during one of the cut scenes. That turned me way off.
I've bailed on too many Gamepass games to remember. Also finished too many Gamepass games to remember.

I almost gave up on Forbidden West but pushed through to the end. I rolled my eyes more than I rolled Aloy while dodging.
Not sure you hit the snag I did but took me a few minutes to realize why I was unable to catch a single 'boo.' Assuming you're talking about the 'boos' and not the run of the mill ghosts & bosses. If you use a 3rd-party control without vibrate, you'll find jack diddly. I skipped Dark Moon and LM3 was the first I've played since the OG on Gamecube. OG they pretty much appear behind and object, shake object, boo pops out with dialogue and you chase them from room to room. LG3...nope. Nintendo wanted to make sure you were using either their pro control or default joy cons with vibrate. The only way to catch one is to have vibrate. I play with a wireless Power-A at the moment when docked.

As far as OP. Nothing so far for 2023. The give up gen was 4 and a bit of 3.

Not sure you hit the snag I did but took me a few minutes to realize why I was unable to catch a single 'boo.' Assuming you're talking about the 'boos' and not the run of the mill ghosts & bosses. If you use a 3rd-party control without vibrate, you'll find jack diddly. I skipped Dark Moon and LM3 was the first I've played since the OG on Gamecube. OG they pretty much appear behind and object, shake object, boo pops out with dialogue and you chase them from room to room. LG3...nope. Nintendo wanted to make sure you were using either their pro control or default joy cons with vibrate. The only way to catch one is to have vibrate. I play with a wireless Power-A at the moment when docked.
Holy heck you may be right, I most likely was using a 3rd party controller. Thanks, I'll try the game again with the switch/pro.

Starfield

All that needs to be said. Game doesn’t respect anyone’s time and isn’t worthy of it either. What enjoyment do you get out of a game with poor gameplay, systems, storylines, writing, and characters?

What a total dud

Last edited:

stn

Haven't given up on any (and never will) but Lies of P and Wanted: Dead have been pissing me the fuck off. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Its all good though, taking a break from both and will come back later.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Holy heck you may be right, I most likely was using a 3rd party controller. Thanks, I'll try the game again with the switch/pro.
That or the joy cons. Next Level goof if anything. I kept playing and would only collect 'boos' when I was playing handheld. A good 70% of my time playing LM3 was docked though...so, that's where I caught it. Anyway, I don't want to derail but there's a thread in Communities where this discussion can resume.

SimTourist

Atomic Heart - the controls are kinda weird in how you character accelerates when going forward, but is slow when strafing. Not a fan of melee combat in first person either. The soviet futurism theme is a bit tacky and uninspired for a person who grew up in those parts, maybe it would be more exciting for americans.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
1) FF16

Sadly, I just could't force myself through the last 3% of the game after what I've experienced outsided of really good story, characters and writing over ~70+ hours. They were so close, but unfortunately and ultimately killed this game for me with almost everything that is not and mainly story related (story missions). Plus, combat and gameplay loop is repetitive and boring from start to finish, except story missions and a few really cool boss fights.

2) W40K: Boltgun

Not bad per se at all but..., it just didn't grab me. Maybe I'll go back to it at some point but I'm not sure.

3) Starfiled

Just fuck off, BGS!

SimTourist

Oh yeah, another one is NFS Unbound - thank god for Gamepass on this one, the car handling is complete shit, takes a week for your car to respond to your inputs, soundtrack was boring trash as well. They really should just remaster the old games at this point.

calistan

Atomic Heart - the controls are kinda weird in how you character accelerates when going forward, but is slow when strafing. Not a fan of melee combat in first person either. The soviet futurism theme is a bit tacky and uninspired for a person who grew up in those parts, maybe it would be more exciting for americans.
I was hoping for Soviet Bioshock but it doesn't have that spark. Even in the areas where you're just exploring the pretty scenery and reading the background info, it seems kind of hollow. When I got into a particularly annoying scene that killed me multiple times, it was an easy decision to walk away - if the world they'd built had been Bioshock quality I'd have carried on trying.

With almost all games except simple ones like sports, racers, puzzles, etc, I find that leaving them even for a short time turns out to be kind of final. It's really hard to go back to a game and be fumbling over the controls, or you've forgotten where things were or what you were meant to be doing.

Cyberpunk, for instance. I liked that, and got quite far into the story before getting distracted by other things. When they released one of the first big patches I thought I'd get back into it, but months had gone by and it was totally unfamiliar. Now I'm keen to see what version 2.0 is like, but I know I'm going to have to start over and keep getting deja vu as I repeat the 26 hours I played first time around.

Top Bottom