• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you LOVE but you find it difficult to Recommend.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
No More Heroes.
The combat is awkward, it looks like shit, it's pretty difficult and getting enough money to progress in the story is tedious as hell. But I still love it.

Deadly Premonition. Mechanically the game is busted, the graphics are muddy and gross, the story often makes no sense and the game's soundtrack consists of two songs which it loops (making it difficult to recommend) . And yet the game is one of my all time favourites; constantly offering crazy surprises and being a one of a kind experience.
vlcsnap-2012-04-12-16h31m48s200.png

Not the best game I've played in the last few years (though I did enjoy it a lot) but it is definitely one of the most memorable games I've ever played - so much to love and so much to hate, a different appetite this game will sate, so says Mr Stewart.

correojon

Dark Souls, for the reasons already stated.
Also, any DMC, Bayonettas, TW101...all these kind of games require dedication and are very difficult to play at high level. I remember once in a friend´s house he said I didn´t like "real" games (Fifa, Gran Turismo, CoD) because I love Nintendo games and those are kiddie and easy. I booted up DmC on his PS3 and proceeded to play for almost an hour while getting great combo scores. He hadn´t even beaten the first 3 levels and he had no clue about how to make air combos. The ideas of switching weapons between hits or staying in the air for long periods seemed like out of this world to him. He even said he couldn´t track my finger movements (I´m not that good)...so instead of giving the game some dedication he decided it was just too complicated and difficult for him. That´s when I told him "now you understand why I say that Fifa and Gran Turismo are too slow for me" lol.

At least he stopped with the "you only play kiddie and easy games".

I don't expect to see Rance in the OP before clicking.

My answer is similar. Visual Novels, especially those with adult content. Many of them have great story, but those content can really turn away people. Once I try to persuade my friend to play Sharin no Kuni, which I regard one of the best visual novel. After knowing the fact that it has sex, my friend just say

"Nope. I am not a pervert."

Well, what can I say.

Atwa

Banned
Definitely Wonderful 101 like people said.

The game demands that you really learn the systems, which can be frustrating and take time. Once you do, its one of the best games ever made. But like most reviewers that just clumsily made their way through the game, playing it like that will really make you miss what makes it so special.

mace999

Neo Member
I'd have to say Assassins Creed : Syndicate, it's pushing Black Flag as my favourite ever Assassins Creed game ...... But maybe it's because I'm a Londoner, that I love Assassins Syndicate ?!?

bioshock infinite, one of my favorites, but its not a great shooter, have a confusing story and its for the last gen, i have serious problem to recommend it, usually the other players that i have contact prefer cod or halo

Ya'll saying some of the most popular or acclaimed games ever made like Fallout, Assassin's Creed, Dark Souls, etc must know some pretty big weirdos if you find it difficult to recommend those games. Mass appeal is kind of the whole point of them.

I don't expect to see Rance in the OP before clicking.

My answer is similar. Visual Novels, especially those with adult content. Many of them have great story, but those content can really turn away people. Once I try to persuade my friend to play Sharin no Kuni, which I regard one of the best visual novel. After knowing the fact that it has sex, my friend just say

"Nope. I am not a pervert."

Well, what can I say.

People think just because there is some sexual stuff , that it can't have good gameplay or a decent story . The Bias is real.

NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams on the Wii is a very special game to me and I played it like crazy at the time it came out and will never remove the soundtrack from my MP3 Player. The music is so damn incredible. It's just a game I really, really love.

... and it's fucking terrible and wouldn't wish the game on anyone. It's ugly, it's simple and the extra missions are really dull. I love it anyways.

redcrayon

Monster Hunter.

I find them hard to recommend as lots of my friends find the slow deliberate combat and learning curve a real turn-off compared to titles where you are able to cancel out of attack animations and they don't leave you open to counters as easily. A tough fight might take up to thirty minutes, and there's no mid-battle save point. You get carted three times, you've failed, and when monsters can knock off half your half bar with one hit the first time you meet them, it encourages a mindset of preparing for each fight with the right consumables that not every player wants to do. You can't just turn up and expect to combo a wyvern into submission, most of them will just laugh at you before stomping you into the ground.

It also requires a lot of time, a lot of incremental increases in skill, and you can't cheese it by levelling up- your only increases in power come from better gear, which comes from killing better monsters. That might also take multiple kills, so you can't even just luck your way through a tough fight once. The whole game requires you to get better constantly, and to be able to fight the same types of creature at a consistent level of ability.

However, when I have got a friend hooked on it (once), they found the camaraderie between hunters online to be really cool. The co-op nature very much unites hunters against the beasts, which is really addictive.

Also, Etrian Odyssey.

Not so much with the recent ones, but the first couple of games were vicious in terms of wiping out parties on level one. The recent ones are much more friendly in terms of the amount of healing abilities a party might have.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Lol, sengoku rance :D
not gonna lie, i spend probably more than 40 hours playing this gameThough for 2nd playtrough, i use cheat engine. God that game is so addicting

I'll add deadly premonition. Game is a jank, but the story and ambition is there.

Scanna

This year: Mad Max
repetitive as fuck and the MC is very stiff as far as movements are concerned but I love open world games, love the brand, love the art direction, love the graphics. More than 50hrs for now, just shelved it for a while on the way to 100% to play other recent releases.

Eidjinn

Football Manager. I showed it to my friends, and all of them were like "So, when do you actuallt play it? Wait, are you already playing???"

That's it. They do not believe that a manager simulator can be fun and addictive...avery year... for the last 15 years...haha!

DryvBy

Earth Defense Force

Game looks as generic as they come but it's a blast to play and replay. I wish they had a MST3K commentary mode because the game reminds me of a weird 50s sci-fi movie.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oh, I've got many. It's why I have to learn about people's personal taste before I can all-out recommend some games. To name a few...

Saya_no_Uta_cover.jpg

Saya no Uta

A wonderful horror story in visual novel form that is equal parts shiver-inducing and thought-provoking. But the game is relatively short for a visual novel with only like one or two choices the whole game, visual novels themselves are an acquired taste, and the game has some really out of the blue sex scenes and some really disturbing content, making it a hard to recommend title for a few reasons. But for those that find the appeal, there is a legitimately good horror and love story here.

1401630641_yvf7cbq.jpg

Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon

Fantastic art direction, a unique story about loneliness, an interesting setting, beautiful music, likable characters... Squandered by gameplay choices that you sometimes serious need to sludge through to make it through the game, the worst part being a few mini-game type scenarios they throw at you. But there really is no other game like it.

(in a similar vein...)

256px-RuleofRose.jpg

Rule of Rose

An absolutely wonderful story unlike anything you'll find in video games to this day, with great symbolism, thematics games hardly ever explore nor explore as well as RoR does, a unique and beautiful soundtrack, creepy and unnerving bits, it's truly a masterpiece... Except the gameplay is rather meh, with some annoying segments, and doesn't live up to everything else. Basically, the game nails everything but the gameplay, and is kind of repetitive in that regard.

Silent_Hill_Downpour_box_art.jpg

Silent Hill Downpour

I always felt this game was given an unjust hand in the general opinion of the title. It is hardly a perfect game, the controls are a bit odd (combat stands out the most for this, but then the imperfect combat system I actually think fits the game), the game has technical problems from it freezing for 1-2 seconds when it loads a new area and some other quibbles, the monster design isn't up to snuff, and the final area is definitely the weakest of the bunch, and it doesn't really feel like a Silent Hill game... But I found it to be highly enjoyable in a number of areas and the truest 'old-school' horror game to release last generation (something critics as a while seem to have distanced themselves from). Has some fun puzzles of moderate difficulty (and puzzle difficulty options), the exploration in this game in my opinion is ace (exploring the town of Silent Hill and the overworld segments of this game are the best in the series in my opinion, there's a lot of intrigue and hidden crannies and quests to find, and the town itself feels like it has a lot of character), speaking of which the side-quests and how they're handled is interesting and some of the quests are stand-out moments in the game (you sort of wander into side-quests while you explore the town, like if you decide to investigate an abandoned theater, or find a weird item on the road, or find a secret accessway to a basement in a creepy house, etc.). Also some of the moments in the game are well-done and handled (I'm fond of some of the moments and hidden scenes in the Mines, Radio/Clock Tower, and Orphanage especially), and thought the characters were decent.

153347_Forbidden_Siren_Europe_1.jpg

Forbidden Siren

The first Siren game. It is a seriously at times creepy experience, a real challenge... But the game is a tough overall recommend partially since this game is sometimes so frustratingly difficult, so goddamn long. It has some things it asks of the player that can sometimes be downright bullshit, some ways to get past certain areas are overly obtuse and unclear, and this is seriously up there as one of the longest horror games ever. Plus some things like having to replay levels but do something different to unlock new levels. But behind all of this there is a truly creepy and terrifying game, and some unique gameplay systems that may appeal to some people quite a bit, and it is a game with its scary moments and creepiness, some fantastic atmosphere, and the Shibito are interesting enemies. Basically, it's a frustrating and long game, but might be an experience worth undertaking.

1-ilbleedmanualcover.jpg

Illbleed

Dreamcast quirky horror game that is hilarious and dumb, and a unique game with some stand-out moments, but some things you have to slug through to complete it. It's a case of being a straight-up B-game, and it succeeds in being fun entertainment for fans of B-horror while also dumb and hilarious in its own right... It's like American B-Horror seen through the lens of a quirky Japanese developer. But it does have al earning curve and some drudgery to go through it.

---

There are a LOT more games I could name, but a small selection. I adore these games, but they're tough regular recommends because of flaws. Basically, amazing experiences that do some things beautifully, but fail on other parts.

Ultimadrago

Vampire The Masqurade: Bloodlines

It runs as if the entire Q & A budget was $100 (even with the ultimate fan fix mods) and the combat is simply shit. However, such a thoughtful approach to race/clan selection and dialogue has been rarely found in another. The setting is also interesting and one that I wish a competent developer would take another swing at. If you have the patience for the technical issues and less-than-good visuals (slightly improved through mods), it is absolutely worth a playthrough.

Monster Hunter.

I find them hard to recommend as lots of my friends find the slow deliberate combat and learning curve a real turn-off compared to titles where you are able to cancel out of attack animations and they don't leave you open to counters as easily. A tough fight might take up to thirty minutes, and there's no mid-battle save point. You get carted three times, you've failed, and when monsters can knock off half your half bar with one hit the first time you meet them, it encourages a mindset of preparing for each fight with the right consumables that not every player wants to do. You can't just turn up and expect to combo a wyvern into submission, most of them will just laugh at you before stomping you into the ground.

It also requires a lot of time, a lot of incremental increases in skill, and you can't cheese it by levelling up- your only increases in power come from better gear, which comes from killing better monsters. That might also take multiple kills, so you can't even just luck your way through a tough fight once. The whole game requires you to get better constantly, and to be able to fight the same types of creature at a consistent level of ability.

However, when I have got a friend hooked on it (once), they found the camaraderie between hunters online to be really cool. The co-op nature very much unites hunters against the beasts, which is really addictive.

Also, Etrian Odyssey.

Not so much with the recent ones, but the first couple of games were vicious in terms of wiping out parties on level one. The recent ones are much more friendly in terms of the amount of healing abilities a party might have.
This exactly, man. I've introduced 6 people to Monster Hunter, and only 2 of them really took to it. One of my friends bought a 3DS (my old one when I upgraded) to try MH4U (though I warned him that it wasn't for everyone). He played for 4 hours and dropped it.

Fbh

250px-Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg

The Souls franchise, including Bloodborne, is literally my favorite videogame franchise ever.
But it's not something I'd recommend to everyone.

The learning curve, the level of challenge, the unforgiving nature of some of the mechanics, the gameplay style. I love it all, but I absolutely understand that it's not for everyone.

It's a game I only recommend to people whose taste in games I know and who I think will be able to enjoy. But if a random person asks me for an RPG recommendation, I feel safer saying Skyrim or The Witcher 3 or Dragon Age, despite the fact that I think none of them are even on the same legue as the Souls franchise

MikeyB

Half-life 2 death match
I had an amazing time with this up to 2010 (it became increasingly hard to find matches) but it was too simplistic compared to where shooters were going for me to recommend. I once gifted it to a friend in Steam. He played it for five minutes and responded with a "huh?" Whatever. Pinning someone to a wall from across a killcube and then getting ragdolled by a radiator to the face has never been done better.

Far Cry 2
One of my favorite games of all time, but it annoys the hell out of most people.

Killzone: Shadowfall
I loved the campaign and its attempt at a more tactical take on Killzone. The multiplayer was the most fun I have had since HL2:DM.

Escape Velocity
Great little game, but most people cannot get past the graphics and the simplicity.

Awesomenauts
Dumbed down 2D MOBA with annoying DLC push and obnoxious characters and an art style I dislike, but the core game play is a ton of fun.

Metal Gear series.

Strangely enough, except for MGS5. Is a no-brainer for every newcomer because it throws everything out in the toilet. You don't need to know anything going into MGS5 other than it has absolutely stellar gameplay.

But the other games are driven by the story and either you get into it or have a very reasonable: "what the fuck is this shit?".

Drakengard 1, definitely. Fantastic story with a truly unique atmosphere, great characters and music, lots of things to see and unlock...

...but the game is trash. I love it, but it's trash.

Par Score

rRUvkTe.jpg

Star Trek: Birth of the Federation is a pretty mediocre Civilization / Masters of Orion clone with a Star Trek skin. The AI is no great shakes and there's a lot of jank, and it's pretty impossible to get running on any half-way modern OS.

I have played it for hundreds of hours. It scratches my TNG / DS9 itch like no other game, it has surprisingly cool 3D turn-based space combat and a lot of flavourful random events.

I could never recommend this game, but I love it.

Well, I don't think anyone's going to outdo the OP.

Seriously.

999 and VLR.

It's not that their is anything wrong with them, to the contrary they are among the GOATs.

The issue is I hesitate recommending them to anyone who isn't very open-minded, as the story requires a certain degree of flexibility.

4rca

Neo Member
Oh, I've got many. It's why I have to learn about people's personal taste before I can all-out recommend some games. To name a few...

Saya_no_Uta_cover.jpg

Saya no Uta

A wonderful horror story in visual novel form that is equal parts shiver-inducing and thought-provoking. But the game is relatively short for a visual novel with only like one or two choices the whole game, visual novels themselves are an acquired taste, and the game has some really out of the blue sex scenes and some really disturbing content, making it a hard to recommend title for a few reasons. But for those that find the appeal, there is a legitimately good horror and love story here.

1401630641_yvf7cbq.jpg

Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon

Fantastic art direction, a unique story about loneliness, an interesting setting, beautiful music, likable characters... Squandered by gameplay choices that you sometimes serious need to sludge through to make it through the game, the worst part being a few mini-game type scenarios they throw at you. But there really is no other game like it.

Silent Hill Downpour

I always felt this game was given an unjust hand in the general opinion of the title. It is hardly a perfect game, the controls are a bit odd (combat stands out the most for this, but then the imperfect combat system I actually think fits the game), the game has technical problems from it freezing for 1-2 seconds when it loads a new area and some other quibbles, the monster design isn't up to snuff, and the final area is definitely the weakest of the bunch, and it doesn't really feel like a Silent Hill game... But I found it to be highly enjoyable in a number of areas and the truest 'old-school' horror game to release last generation (something critics as a while seem to have distanced themselves from). Has some fun puzzles of moderate difficulty (and puzzle difficulty options), the exploration in this game in my opinion is ace (exploring the town of Silent Hill and the overworld segments of this game are the best in the series in my opinion, there's a lot of intrigue and hidden crannies and quests to find, and the town itself feels like it has a lot of character), speaking of which the side-quests and how they're handled is interesting and some of the quests are stand-out moments in the game (you sort of wander into side-quests while you explore the town, like if you decide to investigate an abandoned theater, or find a weird item on the road, or find a secret accessway to a basement in a creepy house, etc.). Also some of the moments in the game are well-done and handled (I'm fond of some of the moments and hidden scenes in the Mines, Radio/Clock Tower, and Orphanage especially), and thought the characters were decent.

---

There are a LOT more games I could name, but a small selection. I adore these games, but they're tough regular recommends because of flaws. Basically, amazing experiences that do some things beautifully, but fail on other parts.

My man. Fragile has to be one of my favourite games ever made, the soundtrack still gets me.

I'd add Yume Nikki, a 32-Bit freeware game. What a crazy experience.

WWE 2k16.

I love the gameplay and have poured hours into it already but it's glitchiness can be a turn off for a lot of people.

WWE_2K16_Cover.jpg

FaintDeftone

Disaster Report and Raw Danger.

Both games I really enjoyed, but I don't recommend them typically due to how sloppy the game is designed. They're not for everyone.

GooeyHeat

The first Sonic Adventure. I believe there is way more good in that game than people give it credit for (compared to SA2, which I feel gets too much credit). Sonic, Amy, and Gamma's stages are all fun and well-designed. Sonic's, especially, have really stand-out level design for the era, and they're honestly the best 3D translation that classic Sonic ever got. Plus the fact that it's only worth playing on Dreamcast because all the ports are more broken means people underrate it... but at the same time, I can't actually recommend it. The cutscenes are bad (funny bad, but still bad), and on the Dreamcast version they're unskippable. Tails and Knuckles's levels are simply passable, and will likely bore you after a bit, and Big's fishing... well, it's forced fishing in a Sonic game. The controls are also quite tricky to handle at high speeds, and even the more functional Dreamcast version will send you into some annoying physics and collision quirks.
There's a lot of good mixed with a good amount of bad, but what it does right, it does REALLY right, IMO.

KidB

Nintendo games in general, mainly due to my social circle which consists of people who find them childish and refuse to even give them a try. Nintendo has a very small following in my country.

Gilby

Star Seed Pilgrim.

It's one of the games that pushed me into game development, but it's hard as nails and the reasons I love it are specific to game design so people that aren't into interesting mechanics won't be impressed.

Dante's_Inferno.jpg

As a brawler, it's okay but I'm very fond of the Inferno and I own a bunch of different artist's depictions of Dante's Hell. Gustave Dore, Wayne Barlowe, William Blake, etc. I thought it was a pretty neat visual take on Dante's concept of Hell that put in a lot of details and little touches. Certainly more than people give it credit for.

Horns

I've convinced a few friends pick up Shadowrun on 360, but the learning curve and the average player skill level makes it a challenge for new players.

dab0ne

Manhunt.

It's a stealth based survival horror game that's uber violent and made by the guys who made grand theft auto. So many assumptions are made just when hearing those things.

carda114

Xenosaga franchise

A super anime-as-hell trilogy of JRPGs, the quality of which is uneven to say the least. The first game's cutscenes are incredibly long and combat is quite time consuming, and the second game's uneven difficulty and relative lack of story basically killed the series's ambitious six-game storyline. But Episode III does so much right in addressing the first two games's issues, that it's worth playing them in my opinion to prepare for it. But that's a lot to ask.

Siren

Excellent atmosphere and interesting mechanics (sightjacking) get bogged down by seriously obtuse puzzle design. You WILL need a guide unless you want to replay levels over and over again hoping to stumble into the solution somehow. The sequels improved on this significantly and are far easier to recommend.

Karl Hawk

Banned
The Witcher 1.

Its outdated graphically, the rhythm-based combat system itself is wonky, the sex cards game is fucking gross (I admit, I'm guilty into it too), and the interface menus can be very intimidating for new players.

But it still has excellent writing with an amazing storyline with twists and turns and interesting characters and well-developed questlines

Alpha Protocol

The core stealth gameplay is kind of garbage and easily broken. The third person aiming being determined by skill points / dice rolls can be extremely frustrating. With that said arguably one of the best dialogue and choice systems in an RPG.

Bulletstorm

The humor can be extremely hit and miss (for ex. Dick Tits) and could instantly rub people the wrong way. However it's an awesome arcadey shooter more people should play.

Everyone I have lent Wonderful 101 to has either handed it back not impressed, or flat out hated it.

Same thing with Deadly Premonition.

Also, The Lawnmower Man on SNES. The game is like a broke version of Contra, yet I love it.

The more I think about it, the more this is probably a Suda 51 thread.

E-flux

Silent Hill Downpour

I have tried recommending Silent Hill Downpour so many times that it isn't even funny, no one has really given it a fair chance in my opinion. Those sidequest the game has were so cool.

I loved the house where the family was murdered by the father and you had to fix the music player and start playing the music in reverse in order for time to reverse.

If you haven't played Downpour, i highly recommend testing it out. However it will take a few hours to get to Silent Hill, and the beginning isn't all that compelling.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
EVE Online is one of those games, I have a fraction of the time played as other people, I only really run missions and some times play as a merc with cheap tackler ships for whoever is looking to knock over some haulers leaving jita for low sec.

EVE is awesome but it really just isn't worth picking up unless you're ready to not actually have fun for a solid 2 months.

I used to run around recommending monster hunter to everyone so we could hunt together, but I quickly realized that the game is just not for everyone, of the 3 people I convinced to try the game out only 1 dude actually kept the game and played through all of low rank but once he got to high rank he dropped it.

Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast is a game which most people would say it's one of the most incredible star wars games of all time, I love this game but I cannot recommend it unless I know the person I am recommending it to has a real interest in early 2000s / late 90s maze like level design and loves a real challenge. Jedi Outcast isn't just hard it's confusing, when it asks you to sneak into an imperial remnant base it actually hides where you're supposed to go very very very well. I've seen so many people just outright drop the game in the first section of the first mission because no one thinks to check the back corner in the hanger for a drop down vent.

The game is also just naturally difficult as all hell, enemies are deadly accurate and they will surround you quickly, forcing you to beg for shield stations and medkits at every turn as well as using up your bacta reserves really fast. Before you get your force powers and lightsaber you've pretty much just gotta rely on your FPS chops to survive, and it will not be easy.

Top Bottom