• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

ckohler

It's not a game (well it is), but I'm trying to remember what this console/computer we had when I was a kid was called.
All I remember was that it ran on cassettes, had a little black tele/monitor, although I'm not sure if that was actually with the computer or separate, and the graphics were literally just green on a black background as far as I remember. The game I remember was a helicopter game possibly, and it took forever to load.

Any ideas?

A Timex Sinclair 1000?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timex_Sinclair_1000

mclem

It's not a game (well it is), but I'm trying to remember what this console/computer we had when I was a kid was called.
All I remember was that it ran on cassettes, had a little black tele/monitor, although I'm not sure if that was actually with the computer or separate, and the graphics were literally just green on a black background as far as I remember. The game I remember was a helicopter game possibly, and it took forever to load.

Unfortunately, the big hint you have - the fact that it was green monochrome - really isn't much of a distinguishing feature; there's quite a few systems that used it.

The Apple II is a system I tend to associate with a disk interface, but I believe that a cassette option did exist for it.

The Commodore PET was very noticeably structured as a single unit with an included monitor. Also, it's quite possibly the most 70's-looking computer in existence.

The RM 380Z/LINK 480Z is incredibly obscure *and* was more frequently associated with a disk rather than a cassette. The only reason I bring it up is the fact that I did have access to one when I was rather young and so it's bouncing around the back of my skull!

Edit: Timex Sinclair 1000? Or, as I know it, the ZX81? Pretty sure that was only ever black ink on a white background - but I've not had much direct interaction with one, a greenscreen option isn't implausible.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
It's an NES game that was an action RPG. There was a FF/DW style world-map and encounters took you to a secondary screen ala Adventure of Link. You played as a woman warrior who tried to save a princess. I remember being in a dungeon that was a tower of sorts and the boss being some sort of giant steel crab. I think it came out around the time Mega Man 3 did. At least I got them around the same time. I've completely forgotten the game.

Chabbs0

Banned
A game that looked liked Dig Dug, you were a dinosaur or there were dinosaurs in it and you dug through the earth to uncover bones (I think).

On the PC around 10+ years ago.

Niahak

It's an NES game that was an action RPG. There was a FF/DW style world-map and encounters took you to a secondary screen ala Adventure of Link. You played as a woman warrior who tried to save a princess. I remember being in a dungeon that was a tower of sorts and the boss being some sort of giant steel crab. I think it came out around the time Mega Man 3 did. At least I got them around the same time. I've completely forgotten the game.

It's been a long time since I played it myself, but Faria is an action-RPG that fulfills the first few criteria (ARPG, female MC).

diamount

Banned
Hmm, it's a turn-based mech game. Was on the PS2 released around 2001-2002, think it was in anime style. The cutscenes, not the mechs themselves.

mclem

Hmm, it's a turn-based mech game. Was on the PS2 released around 2001-2002, think it was in anime style. The cutscenes, not the mechs themselves.

I can't see it being anything other than Front Mission.

Which probably means I'm completely incorrect.

Any ideas?

Could be an Amstrad CPC.

Nope, not a bad guess though. The game i cannot remember the name of was an Amiga 500 era game.

Try Skyfox II. Better yet, go to lemonamiga.com, advanced search, genre Shoot'em Up, subgenre 3D, if you haven't already.

4lejandro

Midnight Resistance?

SUPER POWER UP! I played a version that had 8 way shooting with a rotary stick hehe, it was pretty cool and I wonder how it influenced Contra III.

I have one, it starred a cyborg and I think he had a bomb inside of him, gameplay was top down (reminded me of Alien Syndrome) inside a spaceship, can't remember if there was a timer on the bomb, main character wore red, it was on the SUPER NES.

I have one, it starred a cyborg and I think he had a bomb inside of him, gameplay was top down (reminded me of Alien Syndrome) inside a spaceship, can't remember if there was a timer on the bomb, main character wore red, it was on the SUPER NES.

Operation Logic Bomb perhaps?

SUPER POWER UP! I played a version that had 8 way shooting with a rotary stick hehe, it was pretty cool and I wonder how it influenced Contra III.

Operation Logic Bomb?

edit-oh for fuck's sake

sytadel

Boxing game on the commodore 64, I remember having a blast playing multiplayer but now I cannot find it anywhere. Been hunting youtube every now and again with no luck at all, really keen to find it. More specific memories... player character faces were presented on the screen and took real time damage. The more pounding you took the more haggard your boxers face became, eyes turned a dark purple. Anyone know the title?

Tizoc

Try Undercover Cops, 64th Street, Violent Storm, Burning Fight, Vendetta (Crime Fighters 2), D. D. Crew, Legionnaire, Riot City, Silent Dragon.

Glad I could help. :)

UNDERCOVER COPS! THAT'S THE ONE! Thanks!
ucco0037.png

4lejandro

Operation Logic Bomb perhaps?

Operation Logic Bomb?

edit-oh for fuck's sake

Yes! That's it! Thanks!

I remember reading about it on a magazine all these years ago, and really wanted to try it, I finally got to try it like 10 years later because I had forgotten the name, was pretty cool and really made me think of how cool a Metal Gear or any Kojima game would've been on the SNES, which got me into Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake and emulating the MSX etc.

Yes! That's it! Thanks!

I remember reading about it on a magazine all these years ago, and really wanted to try it, I finally got to try it like 10 years later because I had forgotten the name, was pretty cool and really made me think of how cool a Metal Gear or any Kojima game would've been on the SNES, which got me into Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake and emulating the MSX etc.

If you are interested, the Gameboy prequel is available on 3DS eshop. It's called Fortified Zone. I can most certainly see what you mean by getting Metal Gear vibes from it.

The RM 380Z/LINK 480Z is incredibly obscure *and* was more frequently associated with a disk rather than a cassette. The only reason I bring it up is the fact that I did have access to one when I was rather young and so it's bouncing around the back of my skull!

My man! I did most of my GCSE coursework on an RM 380Z!
Everyone else used the BBC Masters and Micros but because me and my mate had a bit of an aptitude with computers we were given the 380Z to use.

... it was quite a while ago. Eeek!

Any ideas?

Sharp MZ-80K?

80a-1.jpg

Yes! That's it! Thanks!

God how I wish Kojima hadn't skipped over the Genesis and SNES. Stealth and that kind of in-depth storytelling in action games were both woefully underrepresented. I wish some indie dude would take the MG2 template and make another game like that.

Boxing game on the commodore 64, I remember having a blast playing multiplayer but now I cannot find it anywhere. Been hunting youtube every now and again with no luck at all, really keen to find it. More specific memories... player character faces were presented on the screen and took real time damage. The more pounding you took the more haggard your boxers face became, eyes turned a dark purple. Anyone know the title?

Try TKO or Thai Boxing.

4lejandro

If you are interested, the Gameboy prequel is available on 3DS eshop. It's called Fortified Zone. I can most certainly see what you mean by getting Metal Gear vibes from it.

Cool, I read about it just now on wikipedia, I have a Vita though... Jaleco was such a cool developer back in the first years of the SNES, I got mine in december of 92 and played lots of Rival Turf (Final Fight ripoff but had 2 simultaneous players), I think it was the first SNES game I got to play and it blew my mind at the time!

God how I wish Kojima hadn't skipped over the Genesis and SNES. Stealth and that kind of in-depth storytelling in action games were both woefully underrepresented. I wish some indie dude would take the MG2 template and make another game like that.

I feel the same, it's not as there are not enough killer games for the 16 bit consoles, but a Metal Gear would've been great.

protonion

This shouldn't be hard.

It's an adventure game I've always wanted to play. In the review I'd read they compared it to the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. First person, bottom is inventory. You are in a spaceship. NPCs are some robots. I remember them having great and unique design.
Maybe funny script.

dezzy8

Can someone help me remember the name of this game?
It's a multiplayer web browser game where everyone is randomly given a role. Some people are cops some are regular villagers and they have to find out who's the bad guy?

There's a phase of the game where the cop interrogates a random person and decides to lock him/her up or something like that. The villagers also have a meeting to banish someone???

I can't remember exactly how it goes nor can I explain it properly. HELP ME!

wizzbang

Banned
Not all of these completely fit the description, but check them out:

I, Ball
Amaurote
Nuker
Shadow Skimmer
Equinox

None of those look like it, god damn I'd kill for my old collection again.
You know it might not be a ball specifically - but a round unit, ball / tank like? I thought rolling about, fairly colourful. Fuck it's hard to remember.
Thanks though, you've got a pretty vast knowledge.

None of those look like it, god damn I'd kill for my old collection again.
You know it might not be a ball specifically - but a round unit, ball / tank like? I thought rolling about, fairly colourful. Fuck it's hard to remember.
Thanks though, you've got a pretty vast knowledge.

No problem, I'm actually googlling and using Gamebase64 a lot to find C64 games (games are sorted into categories like shoot'em up - vertical etc.). Though I've played a ton of C64 games anyway, back in the day and via emulators in more recent years, it's my favorite system.

Try these games:
Aidon: The Apocalypse
Battle Droidz (it's isometric, but just in case)
Carreton
Centurions Power X Treme
Unitrax
Vindicators

If it's none of them, maybe you can try to remember something about the colors, if there was a dominant one, if perhaps the background was mostly black, if the sprites and graphics were more ZX Spectrum like, with high res sprites or more smooth gradients and colors like newer C64 games etc. The year you've played it (roughly at least), just in case there's a chance it's an earlier game so we can eliminate some newer games. Also, maybe some of these games I've already mentioned remind you of the game, did it have better or worse graphics than some specific game etc.

This shouldn't be hard.

It's an adventure game I've always wanted to play. In the review I'd read they compared it to the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. First person, bottom is inventory. You are in a spaceship. NPCs are some robots. I remember them having great and unique design.
Maybe funny script.

Space Quest?

EDIT: Disregard, I missed that you said it's first-person.

This shouldn't be hard.

Maybe funny script.

Could be Starship Titanic, it's actually based on a book by Douglas Adams.

FryHole

This shouldn't be hard.

Maybe funny script.

Any idea on what machines it was available for, and rough era? Are we talking a graphical text adventure or something closer to Dungeon Master, in mechanics at least?

EDIT: I second Starship Titanic!

mclem

Can someone help me remember the name of this game?
It's a multiplayer web browser game where everyone is randomly given a role. Some people are cops some are regular villagers and they have to find out who's the bad guy?

There's a phase of the game where the cop interrogates a random person and decides to lock him/her up or something like that. The villagers also have a meeting to banish someone???

I can't remember exactly how it goes nor can I explain it properly. HELP ME!

Well, I can't help you *directly*, but I can indirectly: That sounds like some implementation of Mafia. Now, the problem is, of course, that there are a bazillion different implementations of Mafia, and all of them are very similar, so I couldn't tell you the specific one (it's clearly using the 'detective' optional rule, for instance, but that's also hugely plentiful)

orbabsorb

Neo Member
1- Probably Gang Wars.

3- Silkworm.

5- Funky Jet.

I recognized these immediately, but I'm not really sure about the rest, I'd have to search a bit.

PERFECT!! Thank you so much. I'm really happy to finally come to know the name of these games.
Now I need to find out how to play them again.

Thanks again.

2. Terra Cresta?

4. The gap jumping makes me think of Burnin' Rubber, but that didn't have vehicle selection.

Unfortunately Terra Cresta does not match the game I have in mind
Same for Burning Rubber.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

protonion

Could be Starship Titanic, it's actually based on a book by Douglas Adams.

YES!
I don't remember the details, but the review and impressions I read back then were really positive.Sadly I had other games to play at the time and totally forgot about it. GOG is my last hope...

juxtapose

This thread inspired me to dive deeper. It took two days, but I've answered myself. Anyone else give this a whirl back in the day?

Rocket Jockey

a5xUVuZ.jpg

Ok, I played this game when I was 12, so it's at least 5 years old. It was on the PC and it was a weird educational FPS. Like you had to solve math problems in certain parts. I think I played it in school.

I'm trying to find this one game that I believe was either on the Genesis or the SNES. The only thing I can remember was that it was a fighting game and there was an attack one of the fighters had where their lower body turned into a big purple lightning bolt when they used this one attack while up in the air.

mclem

I've come up with a couple more (Mainly ones I forgot were on C64!)

Bounder / Re-Bounder
Red LED
Wizball
Incredible Shrinking Sphere (Isometric, unfortunately)
Netherworld
Spore (No relation to the Maxis title!)
Hopping Mad
And one other thought: I mentioned it just a few pages ago in the context of another request, then confused myself in thinking that I'd suggested it to you: Puffy's Saga?

Darte

There was this 3D? street fighter-esque game where there was a tournament by this alien race where different beings (including humans) were abducted from planets and forced to fight each other. The loser got his home planet blown up by the alien race or something....can't remember much

Top Bottom