• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Weetrick

I remember a C64 game where I played as some kind of orange or blue ball / robot, kinda like this
[...]
It was a top down view and you'd roll around the level shooting stuff, I've hit up moby games many times and never found the damn thing, no idea what the game was but it's plagued me for a long time :/

Floyd the Droid?

ctKtPUP.jpg

KoBsIYz.jpg

Stet

Banned
All I remember was that it was a PC game in the early 90s, some kind of samurai training ground. There was a section where you had to fight in what may have been first person?

It was out around the same time as Prince of Persia.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Awesome thread! I've got one I'd love to figure out; it was on some really old system, probably a year or two pre-NES? Not too sure. Regardless, it may have even been a straight up computer. It was keyboard based, an adventure game. I wasn't old enough to really get into those too much, but in basic mechanics I'd expect it to be similar to the King's Quest games.

All I really remember is the transit system, which had you somehow traveling through sewage pipes. I'm pretty sure you were tracking a serial killer of some kind, and I remember the game had a very gritty, adult feel. There maaaay have been a segment or mini game in a bad where you stabbed knives into the table, in the space between someone's fingers.

Would love to figure it out if anyone knows of it!

mclem

Awesome thread! I've got one I'd love to figure out; it was on some really old system, probably a year or two pre-NES? Not too sure. Regardless, it may have even been a straight up computer. It was keyboard based, an adventure game. I wasn't old enough to really get into those too much, but in basic mechanics I'd expect it to be similar to the King's Quest games.

All I really remember is the transit system, which had you somehow traveling through sewage pipes. I'm pretty sure you were tracking a serial killer of some kind, and I remember the game had a very gritty, adult feel. There maaaay have been a segment or mini game in a bad where you stabbed knives into the table, in the space between someone's fingers.

Would love to figure it out if anyone knows of it!

My gut feeling based on the era and the mention of sewers is Manhunter: New York.

Edit: And I've just found this image from it:

WbaHBDT.png

HigXx

There was this PC game I used to play at my Uncles, it kind of reminded me of Command & Conquer, but you started off as some early civilisation and then over the period of the game you had to grow an army and attack the AI's base, and also the early civilisation grew to futuristic and stuff like that...

All I remember was that it was a PC game in the early 90s, some kind of samurai training ground. There was a section where you had to fight in what may have been first person?

It was out around the same time as Prince of Persia.

Sounds like Budokan: The Martial Spirit by EA.

ultron87

There was this PC game I used to play at my Uncles, it kind of reminded me of Command & Conquer, but you started off as some early civilisation and then over the period of the game you had to grow an army and attack the AI's base, and also the early civilisation grew to futuristic and stuff like that...

Empire Earth maybe? RTS that lets you go from early civ to nano tech.

maunx

Neo Member
I remember playing a game which came packed in for free with my first sound card ever , the Logitech Soundman. It was in 1994 and i had and 80286 system back then.

It was a floor based puzzle game played from an isometric view or similair.
The setting was an office and you had to play with this little guy trying to reach the stairs/elevator (can't remember) up to the next floor.
A floor puzzle consisted of (locked/electrified/trapped)rooms (with numbered/colored doors and sections. On top there were this aliën creatures tormenting each floor.
You had to get different color passes/keys or something, the usual stuff.

I remember playing it often but i can't remeber the name, it's irritating...

mclem

I remember playing a game which came packed in for free with my first sound card ever , the Logitech Soundman. It was in 1994 and i had and 80286 system back then.

It was a floor based puzzle game played from an isometric view or similair.
The setting was an office and you had to play with this little guy trying to reach the stairs/elevator (can't remember) up to the next floor.
A floor puzzle consisted of (locked/electrified/trapped)rooms (with numbered/colored doors and sections. On top there were this aliën creatures tormenting each floor.
You had to get different color passes/keys or something, the usual stuff.

I remember playing it often but i can't remeber the name, it's irritating...

I think that's D/Generation. It's one of those games that crops up in this thread a few times :)

Edit: Is it worth having a FAQ for this thread suggesting things people miss out from descriptions (Year they played it, genre, that sort of thing) as well as listing a few of the most common games to appear in it (how many times have we had Incoming now?)

maunx

Neo Member
I think that's D/Generation. It's one of those games that crops up in this thread a few times :)

Edit: Is it worth having a FAQ for this thread suggesting things people miss out from descriptions (Year they played it, genre, that sort of thing) as well as listing a few of the most common games to appear in it (how many times have we had Incoming now?)

Yeah, that's the game! I almost thought i was never going to find out.
Thanks, i can now relive a small part of my childhood on youtube and watch that final boss i never got to see :)

ErichWK

This PS1 JRPG game..I remember it coming around around 1997-1999. It was a JRPG that also mixed Dating Sim elements..I think that was the big Draw to it and why I got it. I think it might have been fantasy.

.Anema

I remember a game in Atari, when you're something like a cop chasing the bad guy, running in different scenarios jumping things like planes, mine carts and other obstacles. The game has different levels, always going upstairs until finally you jump over the bad guy and finish the level.
Anyone? Please?

This PS1 JRPG game..I remember it coming around around 1997-1999. It was a JRPG that also mixed Dating Sim elements..I think that was the big Draw to it and why I got it. I think it might have been fantasy.

Probably Thousand Arms if you're talking about releases outside of Japan.

Also notable as a game I stayed up late to beat and ended up falling asleep after killing the last boss and completely missing the ending. The fight took upwards of 45 minutes or so and I didn't want to do it again as that was already my third attempt after dozing off during the two previous attempts and dying since enemies will continue to attack you while you are meant to make your attack selection.

mclem

I remember a game in Atari, when you're something like a cop chasing the bad guy, running in different scenarios jumping things like planes, mine carts and other obstacles. The game has different levels, always going upstairs until finally you jump over the bad guy and finish the level.
Anyone? Please?

Keystone Kapers?

ErichWK

Probably Thousand Arms if you're talking about releases outside of Japan.

Also notable as a game I stayed up late to beat and ended up falling asleep after killing the last boss and completely missing the ending. The fight took upwards of 45 minutes or so and I didn't want to do it again as that was already my third attempt after dozing off during the two previous attempts and dying since enemies will continue to attack you while you are meant to make your attack selection.

Holy Shit. IT WAS THOUSAND ARMS! Nice! I wish I didn't sell this...along with Lunar: SSSC and Dragon Seeds..I was so dumb. How does Thousand Arms hold up today?

Holy Shit. IT WAS THOUSAND ARMS! Nice! I wish I didn't sell this...along with Lunar: SSSC and Dragon Seeds..I was so dumb. How does Thousand Arms hold up today?

I've seen it get some praise even in recent days but I remember not thinking it was super great back then, heh. I didn't mind the dating stuff, though occasionally it felt like guesswork from what I recall, but I recall really not liking the battle system all that much. I'd have to imagine it'd feel fairly dated and the writing was pretty bad if my memory serves me right. But for translated options of RPGs with dating elements your options are few. I want to say there were some Gust games like that, though? Probably not Atelier _____ but was it Mana Khamenia. I pretty much just started typing letters on that one, no idea of the actual title. I think there were three of them and they focused on that aspect.

There is this game I remember. I think it has to do with this... electrician? anyway, it's a side scrolling game and he jumps a lot. he goes into pipes and fights a big lizard.

There is this game I remember. I think it has to do with this... electrician? anyway, it's a side scrolling game and he jumps a lot. he goes into pipes and fights a big lizard.

Sounds like you're thinking of Super Mario Bros. Mario is a plumber and he meets Bowser at the end of each castle stage at the end of each world. Pretty sure that's what you're thinking of.

Edit: Here's a video, see if it's what you have in mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc62hFksKo4

adamma666

Plumber. He is a plumber. The game is called Super Mario Bros.

scnr.

I have no idea of a game featuring an electrician. Any year or system?

EDIT: Too slow.

ErichWK

Okay! I have another game I reference ALL THE TIME but I can't find what it is for the life of me. It was either PS1 or N64 around 1997-1999. There is a dude with a sword that talks..And I only remember ONE SCENE. You are on the docks of some place and you see a busty young lady. And the sword goes

"What do you eat to make your boobs so big??"

And the girl is like "huh?" And the dude you are playing tries to play it off.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It was on an old blue and gray screen laptop. Either early Windows or DOS. It had a man who had a ball shaped head and you could guide him through levels. Some of the levels were in space and there were triangle shaped as spikes that you had to avoid. I also believe it was on the OS and not installed. But I can't seem to find it anywhere. The colors of the ground was grey and the sky was black/blue. There were also variants in the levels. It was a 2D side scroller.

I would love to find out what game this was.

Possum

Okay! I have another game I reference ALL THE TIME but I can't find what it is for the life of me. It was either PS1 or N64 around 1997-1999. There is a dude with a sword that talks..And I only remember ONE SCENE. You are on the docks of some place and you see a busty young lady. And the sword goes

Tales of Destiny for PlayStation?

Onikaan

I have one you guys might be able to help me with.

Pretty sure I played this game several times on a friend's Sega Mega Drive or Master System.

It was a 2D platform game. You played as a little guy (Similar idea to Rayman, body kind of floated, no arms or legs.) It was quite a dark game. Lot's of blues and greens, black. It's almost gone from my mind, but I've been searching forever to try and remember what it was called. Pretty sure you fought a boss like character at certain stages too. It was a pretty weird game, come to think of it.

Sorry I'm so vague. Any ideas?

EDIT: I remember bombs being part of it. The main characters head was also "bomb" shaped.

ErichWK

I have one you guys might be able to help me with.

Pretty sure I played this game several times on a friend's Sega Mega Drive or Master System.

It was a 2D platform game. You played as a little guy (Similar idea to Rayman, body kind of floated, no arms or legs.) It was quite a dark game. Lot's of blues and greens, black. It's almost gone from my mind, but I've been searching forever to try and remember what it was called. Pretty sure you fought a boss like character at certain stages too. It was pretty weird, come to think of it.

Sorry I'm so vague. Any ideas?

EDIT: I remember bombs being part of it. The main characters head was also "bomb" shaped.

logo.png

Maybe it was Albert Odyssey for the Sega Saturn? It sounds like a Working Design translation kind of quote. And that game did have a talking sword.

There was this SNES game that I vaguely remember renting as a kid. It was a top down perspective game, and the first level was in a desert-like area on a road. All I remember is that is was a top down perspective scrolling game..

I also vaguely remember this random game for the Sega Genesis. if I remember correctly, you can choose between two characters a brown haired girl (I think?) and what I believe was a blonde character. it was a side scrolling action game. I don't really expect anyone to solve this one, it's too vague hahaha. It was worth a try though.

If you guys manage to answer these from the vague ass descriptions, then I'll be damned.

mclem

There was this SNES game that I vaguely remember renting as a kid. It was a top down perspective game, and the first level was in a desert-like area on a road. All I remember is that is was a top down perspective scrolling game..

You... don't even say a genre. Holy heck, that's a challenge. But I'm never one to turn one down, and I recall that the first level of Total Carnage was, indeed, top-down and in a desert-esque area.

cqL6Fnv.png

I also vaguely remember this random game for the Sega Genesis. if I remember correctly, you can choose between two characters a brown haired girl (I think?) and what I believe was a blonde character. it was a side scrolling action game. I don't really expect anyone to solve this one, it's too vague hahaha. It was worth a try though.

Well, the characters sound like the characters from Zombies Ate My Neighbours, but it wasn't side-scrolling!

DTJAAAAM

If you guys manage to answer these from the vague ass descriptions, then I'll be damned.

Rolling Thunder 2? Albatross was kind of blonde in some of the art.

The second, Genesis game, maybe it's Ex-Mutans.
twjnRwG.gif

As for the first, top down one, could you remember something more? Was it a vertical shoot'em up with an airplane or similar flying vehicle, were you driving a car and such or was the player character walking on land like in mclem's Total Carnage example?

VegaNine

Desert Strike?

AryXoIT.jpg

Gotta be Ex-Mutants. If not, Trouble Shooter?

TroubleS06.gif

Miroslav

What was the name of this game that was like a 3rd person shooter (ala Gears) with an emphasis on cover switching and movement flow. I barely remember but i thik that you could move switching from cover to cover. It was announced like 2 (or 3?)years ago and havent heard of it again.

Bendoruu

Neo Member
What was the name of this game that was like a 3rd person shooter (ala Gears) with an emphasis on cover switching and movement flow. I barely remember but i thik that you could move switching from cover to cover. It was announced like 2 (or 3?)years ago and havent heard of it again.

Vanquish ?

Untitled-1.gif

Hexa

So there was this game that I only remember seeing part of when I was like 10 and my cousins were playing it on what I think was a SEGA system pre-Dreamcast but I'm not entirely sure.

Not sure if this was the start or even in the middle, but there are two phases going on at once. One is a guy taking part in a fighting tournament, and the other is a bunch of people infiltrating a castle or mansion or something to that extent to rescue a girl. And when they do the guy from the tournament also comes out of nowhere to help them. And they escape on a rocket or something. Combat was turn based and graphics were sprite based.

Also this was a long time ago so I may be remembering stuff wrong.

Any chance it was Hybrid for Xbox Live Arcade? Kind of easy to think it may not have came out with how little noise it made in the end. But definitely was all about combat and movement flow as you didn't actually direct your character in free space but instead picked the next cover position and you'd move point-to-point with the ability to redirect to a new spot during movement or return to your previous position.

Miroslav

Any chance it was Hybrid for Xbox Live Arcade? Kind of easy to think it may not have came out with how little noise it made in the end. But definitely was all about combat and movement flow as you didn't actually direct your character in free space but instead picked the next cover position and you'd move point-to-point with the ability to redirect to a new spot during movement or return to your previous position.

Nailed. So surprised that it really got released.
Thanks.

qazqaNii

There was this game, I remember seeing my cousing showing it when I was alot younger, it had 2 pyramids in each side and was being played on space i think it was a CTF game on the pc.

When I later asked him about it he told me counter-strike.. :(, but I am sure it is not CS.

So there was this game that I only remember seeing part of when I was like 10 and my cousins were playing it on what I think was a SEGA system pre-Dreamcast but I'm not entirely sure.

Not sure if this was the start or even in the middle, but there are two phases going on at once. One is a guy taking part in a fighting tournament, and the other is a bunch of people infiltrating a castle or mansion or something to that extent to rescue a girl. And when they do the guy from the tournament also comes out of nowhere to help them. And they escape on a rocket or something. Combat was turn based and graphics were sprite based.

Also this was a long time ago so I may be remembering stuff wrong.

Sounds like a part from Xenogears. It used both 2D and 3D though....and it was for PS1. But what you describe sounds kinda like a part from Xenogears. They escape in a goofy flying machine though.

there was a block puzzler game i used to place on pc maybe 20 years ago as a kid. pretty generic/basic game, you move the blocks around in order to get through each level. but for some reason no matter what i google search i can't find the damn game.

Top Bottom