• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Hey guys, so I'm compiling my posts that describe this game I can't remember and I've used virtual piano to record the melody of the music I remember from one of the levels. Hopefully one of you can help me out. Here's the level music: https://soundcloud.com/amethystend/unknown-game. The actual song in game was at a faster tempo, but virtual piano isn't exactly the easiest thing to play a song with.

My previous posts describing the game:

I vaguely remember this game. I was born in the Philippines and lived there 'til I was 5. I had a Super Famicom/Nintendo and this game was on that.

This game was a sidescrolling platformer. The most detailed thing I remember about it is that one of the early levels (maybe even the first level) had a boss that was a frog, and to get to this boss, there was a long vertical platforming section. I even vaguely remember some of the BGM but I'm not quite desperate enough to record me humming it and uploading that.

Bright color palette. Cutesy graphics. I'd say fantasy setting but it wasn't like, elves and dragons or anything like that as far as I can remember. Don't remember anything about the method of attack, unfortunately. The only setting I remember is that stage with the frog boss and all I can remember about it is trees (lololol vague). I want to say that the path up to the boss is platforming your way up a giant tree, actually. I was really really bad at video games when I was that young and I know I never made it more than a few levels in so this really would be one of the earliest, if not first level.

Time period: 1990-1994. I know I never saw it again once I moved to America in 1994.

It's not DoReMi Fantasy and it's not Little Nemo as someone else suggested. I checked both of those out after this thread and those weren't it.

Toppot

Hey guys, so I'm compiling my posts that describe this game I can't remember and I've used virtual piano to record the melody of the music I remember from one of the levels. Hopefully one of you can help me out. Here's the level music: https://soundcloud.com/amethystend/unknown-game. The actual song in game was at a faster tempo, but virtual piano isn't exactly the easiest thing to play a song with.

It's not DoReMi Fantasy and it's not Little Nemo as someone else suggested. I checked both of those out after this thread and those weren't it.

Could be Breath of Fire?

The story music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4hAgiu9usY

The frog boss battle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-3zB5v1ZGM

Guess 2: Violinist of Hameln

Music sounds very similar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfC1EqOgcg4

It wasn't an RPG. It was a sidescrolling platformer. And Violinist of Hamelin came out after I had already moved to America so that can't be it.

Thank you for trying though.

Mystery

I remember the roller skating rink in my town had an arcade game that I can't remember the name of. It was a platformer, and I think the first level was in a forest or something. The main character had some sort of red cape. I don't remember much else about it.

Javier

Was the game American, European or Japanese release?

Was the game American, European or Japanese release?

It was Japanese for sure, but it didn't have any complicated menus or anything because my 3-4 year old self could start the game up and play it with zero knowledge of Japanese.

Ah, sorry.

I recommend going through the 9 short pages here and see if anything jogs your memory, there are screenshots for a lot of the games so you might recognise something or even just the box art.
http://snesguide.com/genres/platform/

I went through every page and didn't see anything like it. Hmm. Maybe I gotta give up. I suppose it's possible I got the platform wrong since I also owned an NES, but I swear the graphics on the game looked closer to SNES than anything the NES could do.

Toppot

It was Japanese for sure, but it didn't have any complicated menus or anything because my 3-4 year old self could start the game up and play it with zero knowledge of Japanese.

I went through every page and didn't see anything like it. Hmm. Maybe I gotta give up. I suppose it's possible I got the platform wrong since I also owned an NES, but I swear the graphics on the game looked closer to SNES than anything the NES could do.

Don't give up hope, it might not be today or this week, or this month, but eventually it will be found =] Knowing its Japenese helps narrow it down a lot, but most people here will be unfamiliar with Japanese games of that era xD

I'll take one last stab in the dark before I go to sleep, maybe one of the Wagyanrando games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usj01NqEpPs&t=316

Don't give up hope, it might not be today or this week, or this month, but eventually it will be found =] Knowing its Japenese helps narrow it down a lot, but most people here will be unfamiliar with Japanese games of that era xD

I'll take one last stab in the dark before I go to sleep, maybe one of the Wagyanrando games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usj01NqEpPs&t=316

Thanks for the encouragement. That's not it either but that is a similar art style. Also I'm pretty sure the character you control in the game I remember is human, so that should help a bit too.

Asuma01

Neo Member
Platform: Japanese PC Engine.
Release date: I'm not exactly sure but no later then 90 I think.
The game was some type of fantasy dungeon delving roguelike/rpg. I cant remember if it was turn based or not. I remember that you could be different classes. It was just your character and no one else. There were stats and I'm pretty sure an inventory system. The whole game was in japanese so it was a challenge trying to figure out what it was that you were supposed to be doing. it had an overhead view, and from what I remember all took place underground (as far as I know) in a dungeon.

Another game I played around the same time on the japanese version PC Engine was what is known here in the US as Dragon Spirit. Dragon Spirit isn't related to the game I'm talking about but I played it during the same timeframe.

I remember the roller skating rink in my town had an arcade game that I can't remember the name of. It was a platformer, and I think the first level was in a forest or something. The main character had some sort of red cape. I don't remember much else about it.

Wardner?

Wardner_no_Mori_-_1987_-_Toaplan_Co.,_Ltd..jpg

The Cape is a power up.

katkombat

Banned
Ok guys I don't even know if this is gonna be possible...but here goes:

There was this arcade game compilation at my bowling alley that had Bombjack and a few other games (maybe some generic lightgun ones, not sure...)

Thing is...that's all I really remember. Please help!

IrishNinja

okay so mine is a coin-op we had at my summer camp, where you'd play this car - i wanna say a VW beetle - and you'd drive along but also use the stick to guide this hand that'd extend from said car, picking up fruit & stuff for points, while avoiding (i wanna say?) bad stuff like a cactus that'd flare up your hand. i thought it was bump n' jump but just looked that one up, no dice.

it wasn't really good, its just what we played one summer when you didn't have dibs on castlevania (they somehow had a machine with just part 1 in it, but someone killed it like a few weeks later. pretty sure i held back the tears)

Deilpo

Neo Member
This fighting game on PS1 on a demo disc called The Unholy War
unholy-war-cover.jpg

Never bought the full game but the demo was badass. I never knew the name of it so could never find it in shops.

scakko84

There was that game i played on my Amiga 500, it was a side-scrolling platform similar to Ghost'n'Ghouls. the very first game screen was also a G'n'Gish scrolling map of the various sections from the first level to the very top. It had a very very dark-fantasy setting.

I've searched amiga-lemon game section for a lot of time but found nothing.

Jenoss

Banned
There was a game I played when I was a kid, I do not remember the date but presumably could be between 1995 and 1998.
The game was for PC and the character you used was a magician, and was scrolling platformer in 2d.
the rest is all very vague.

thanks in advance

mclem

There was that game i played on my Amiga 500, it was a side-scrolling platform similar to Ghost'n'Ghouls. the very first game screen was also a G'n'Gish scrolling map of the various sections from the first level to the very top. It had a very very dark-fantasy setting.

I've searched amiga-lemon game section for a lot of time but found nothing.

Risky Woods sprang immediately to mind. Elf, too, but I don't think that had a map.

There was a game I played when I was a kid, I do not remember the date but presumably could be between 1995 and 1998.
The game was for PC and the character you used was a magician, and was scrolling platformer in 2d.
the rest is all very vague.

Most likely Hocus Pocus. It's on GoG

One small side possibility if it's not that is that Clyde's Adventure was also a sidescroller with a character who didn't look much like a magician but he *did* have a wand. This was more of a puzzle game, though.

There was this arcade game compilation at my bowling alley that had Bombjack and a few other games (maybe some generic lightgun ones, not sure...)

I guess there are a lot of multi game arcade machines out there so finding this particular one you played might be a bit tough. Probably also depends on which year you played it on and where was the bowling alley located (maybe you can find it by searching something like "multi game arcade machine 1995 name of bowling alley or city". I don't know much about these types of arcade cabinets, hopefully someone can help you out more.

okay so mine is a coin-op we had at my summer camp, where you'd play this car - i wanna say a VW beetle - and you'd drive along but also use the stick to guide this hand that'd extend from said car, picking up fruit & stuff for points, while avoiding (i wanna say?) bad stuff like a cactus that'd flare up your hand. i thought it was bump n' jump but just looked that one up, no dice.

it wasn't really good, its just what we played one summer when you didn't have dibs on castlevania (they somehow had a machine with just part 1 in it, but someone killed it like a few weeks later. pretty sure i held back the tears)

It's probably Munch Mobile.

RoadDogg

As far as I can tell, Tecmo/Tehkan don't have any light gun games so it probably wasn't a real cabinet. Some hacked together multi game unit or one of those 350 in 1 things you can buy now a days.

Another possibility is that it wasn't Bomb Jack, but mighty bomb jack. There was a Vs. version of Might Bomb Jack made (in Japan anyway) so maybe you played an imported Vs. machine? I think those maxed out at 2 games though (each with it's own screen).

NeoZylom

I need your help GAF.
I'm looking for an educational PC game I used to play in elementary school (1996-1998 maybe). It was a game with blue round monster with red nose. You could customized them. There was a level with a bridge and another one where you had to make a pizza for a monster.
Anyone?

Toppot

I need your help GAF.
I'm looking for an educational PC game I used to play in elementary school (1996-1998 maybe). It was a game with blue round monster with red nose. You could customized them. There was a level with a bridge and another one where you had to make a pizza for a monster.
Anyone?

One of the various Zoombinis games.
3qjwL6h.jpg

ErbilT

I remember seeing this when I was really young. Maybe 6 or 7 years old, so maybe around 1984-1985. All I remember is that it was a Data East game, that you were on bicycles and you could punch other bicycle riders. I have no idea what it was called.

ubercheez

I can't remember the name of a PC game that came out in '98 or '99. You played a wizard, and you could cast damage spells as well as summon creatures that had their own life pools. You had to regain mana by standing on these specific points that would give you a constant regen rate, and you could park your creatures on those points to give you the mana regen while you continued on. There would usually be an enemy wizard, so a level would usually come down to fighting over the mana regen points until you had enough to overpower him with an army of summons.

The camera view was isometric, and you had a health indicator of your wizard's head that would disappear to reveal a skull underneath as you took damage.

And months later, I finally stumble on the right combination of words in google. Magic & Mayhem is the answer!

Man, this game looks pretty bad in retrospect, haha.

RoadDogg

I remember seeing this when I was really young. Maybe 6 or 7 years old, so maybe around 1984-1985. All I remember is that it was a Data East game, that you were on bicycles and you could punch other bicycle riders. I have no idea what it was called.

I just looked through every Data East game in wikipedia and none of them are on bikes. Is it a console or arcade game?

Here is a list of bicycle games that might help, but nothing in there fits the bill from that time period except for maybe Alex Kidd BMX

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Cycling_video_games

spekkeh

Banned
There was a football/soccer game, I guess on consoles at around the end of the SNES era if I'm correct (could also be arcade, not sure if sprites or polygonal players but definitely 'chunky') where you played a single player in the football team. It was sort of 3D as you walked around third person and saw the playing field as your character would. 2 player multiplayer was also possible.

Jenoss

Banned
Risky Woods sprang immediately to mind. Elf, too, but I don't think that had a map.

Most likely Hocus Pocus. It's on GoG

One small side possibility if it's not that is that Clyde's Adventure was also a sidescroller with a character who didn't look much like a magician but he *did* have a wand. This was more of a puzzle game, though.

Great, it was Hocus Pocus!
you make my day, thanks ;)

LGom09

There was a football/soccer game, I guess on consoles at around the end of the SNES era if I'm correct (could also be arcade, not sure if sprites or polygonal players but definitely 'chunky') where you played a single player in the football team. It was sort of 3D as you walked around third person and saw the playing field as your character would. 2 player multiplayer was also possible.
One of these? http://snesguide.com/genres/soccer/

spekkeh

Banned
Hmm I don't think that's it, but it does look similar, or perhaps that paired with the blocky 3D of virtua striker. I believe the name also reflected that you were the star player. Something like elite striker, super kicker, or something similarly banal, but I'm not sure.

Another distinct thing was that you could play it two player splitscreen, and it would split the screen vertically down the middle. Which was crappy because you could hardly see anything now, but you could pass to the other player character.

edit: I dunno, maybe it was Hat Trick Hero / Football Champ and I remember it wrong.

Karakato_001

Neo Member
It's been plaguing me for ages but, I recall playing a Horizontal shmup on the NES where your ship can transform into a mech when you touch the ground. Had alot of fun with it, may track it down whenever I get the name right.

RoadDogg

Hmm I don't think that's it, but it does look similar, or perhaps that paired with the blocky 3D of virtua striker. I believe the name also reflected that you were the star player. Something like elite striker, super kicker, or something similarly banal, but I'm not sure.

Another distinct thing was that you could play it two player splitscreen, and it would split the screen vertically down the middle. Which was crappy because you could hardly see anything now, but you could pass to the other player character.

edit: I dunno, maybe it was Hat Trick Hero / Football Champ and I remember it wrong.

Tony Meola's Sidekicks Soccer?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDvxVPMX8co

Edit: guess not :) We should probably start including where we live in our descriptions to help weed out games that weren't released in every market.

Lumine

It was a point 'n click adventure. Possibly in first person, but not entirely sure. I remember the mouse pointer being some sort of cube that you could rotate to change your action. It was set in some medieval fantasy world I think. Probably came out somewhere early '90s, on DOS I think. It's all I remember outside some vague scenes in my head. Haven't been able to find it yet.

Does this ring a bell to anyone?

oh man, I just remembered an NES game that was a horizontal schmup.. you start off as a standard flyer but then you can pick up parts to eventually become a robot. you can also switch between a top layer of a level and a bottom one. anyone remember this game?

edit: WOOOOOOW it was literally solved like 2 posts up hahaahha. my bad guys, I should've read the thread. it was Magmax.

There was this F1 game on a PS1 demo disc my cousin had that we would play all the time. If you would drive backwards and hit other cars head on it would pretty frequently make you go flying 100+ feet in the air lol. There's so many F1 games that I've never been able to pinpoint the exact one it was.

Violater

Ok Glad I found this thread was going to make one.
Anyway here goes, I don't remember much about the game, all I know is it was on PS1, I think it was third person and you could combine your swords to sometimes create stronger ones.
For the life of me I remember having so much fun playing it but was bummed out that I had to return it.

Toppot

Ok Glad I found this thread was going to make one.
Anyway here goes, I don't remember much about the game, all I know is it was on PS1, I think it was third person and you could combine your swords to sometimes create stronger ones.
For the life of me I remember having so much fun playing it but was bummed out that I had to return it.

Torneko: The Last Hope?
k6YiMEL.jpg

Melding Shop - Since you can walk completely around town after beating the Toro Ruins, you now have access to the Melding Shop, here you can combine swords or shields to make them more powerful.

Combining weapons seems fairly common in JRPG's, I came across a couple of PS2 games with the feature (Rogue Galaxy and Dark Cloud)

Violater

Torneko: The Last Hope?
http://i.imgur.com/k6YiMEL.jpg[IMG]

[I]Melding Shop - Since you can walk completely around town after beating the Toro Ruins, you now have access to the Melding Shop, here you can combine swords or shields to make them more powerful.[/I]

Combining weapons seems fairly common in JRPG's, I came across a couple of PS2 games with the feature (Rogue Galaxy and Dark Cloud)[/QUOTE]

naa I think it was more of an adventure game with maybe a little rpg elements. The characters were definitely anthropomorphic as well.
It seemed like a western PS1 title or could have been localized.

NewGame

Banned
Here's something for you GAF.

At the PS2's launch I remember playing a game- I think it was on a demo disk? Anyway it was of a girl character that you move around fixed camera areas with prerendered backgrounds, it had a very tribal design about it. It looked like you were traversing a large tangle of branches and trees.

There was also a PC game where you have an isometric view of a cartoony hero character who moves around shooting monsters that turn into goo. It was very colourful and had a few voice samples.

Top Bottom