• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
My friend remembers a game based on Dante's Inferno, which involved an interactive map of the Inferno with the prisoners/victims of Hell in it, and you could click on them and they'd recite relevant text from Dante's Inferno. It may have been some kind of edutainment title. I've tried to find any kind of reference to this game and have come up with nothing. Does anyone know what she's talking about or did she dream it up?

Wiktor

My friend remembers a game based on Dante's Inferno, which involved an interactive map of the Inferno with the prisoners/victims of Hell in it, and you could click on them and they'd recite relevant text from Dante's Inferno. It may have been some kind of edutainment title. I've tried to find any kind of reference to this game and have come up with nothing. Does anyone know what she's talking about or did she dream it up?

Sounds like The Divine Comedy

Wiktor

I've been looking for a game I played years and years ago. Can't seem to find it on google. Here's what I remember:

- Adventure game, possibly Point-and-Click. I believe it had pre-rendered backgrounds, though not sure.
- I believe it was grey-scale, or maybe just dark.
- Story was neo-noir. That much I remember.
- I believe you played as a female detective, but this part is fuzzy. Maybe just a female on a quest.

That's about all I have. At this point, I feel like I'm making this game up, as the only noir adventure games on google seem to be Gemini Rue and Grim Fandango.
It seems too obvious to be true ...but maybe Noir?

Oh god someone help me lol

Sega genesis, side scrolling action platformer game, i think a lot of it was set in the sky or mountains, but i could be wrong. There might have been rpg elements, but i could be wron again. Might have been able to float, or cling to walls but i could also be wrong.

Been trying to remember this game for the longest time!

PS2 JRPG. You started out as part of a navy, then became a pirate fairly early on. I remember loving being part of the navy, hated being forced into piracy, so stopped playing. Would love to remember the name though (quite possibly part of a series).

baphomet

Oh god someone help me lol

Sega genesis, side scrolling action platformer game, i think a lot of it was set in the sky or mountains, but i could be wrong. There might have been rpg elements, but i could be wron again. Might have been able to float, or cling to walls but i could also be wrong.

Been trying to remember this game for the longest time!

Sky blazer for the SNES?

Niahak

PS2 JRPG. You started out as part of a navy, then became a pirate fairly early on. I remember loving being part of the navy, hated being forced into piracy, so stopped playing. Would love to remember the name though (quite possibly part of a series).

Sounds like Suikoden IV.

AmyS

I only remember a single part of this, and it's not gameplay.

A 2d arcade game I only remember the intro of it, this was the part before you entered coins on the machine.

It showed a fighter jet in what it seems to be the Vietnam War, the plane crashed in the middle of the jungle, and then a message appeared.

"20 years later" (I could be wrong on the 20)

Then showing the rusty plane growing plants and vegetation, and showing the name of the game.

That's all I got.

It's Caliber Fifty, you're spot on with the "20". :)

It's one of my favorite games of all time.

rao0yAf.jpg

9BYfV43.jpg

NGzURcz.jpg

xeIjFpT.jpg

zstFAM4.jpg

bDtJXrn.jpg

Vmuun9t.jpg

It's also on Genesis.

RyYmRQy.jpg

Pandemic

This is a game that hasn't been released yet. It's supposed to be released late 2014 I'm pretty sure. It was announced at E3 this year by an indie developer.

It's a sidescroller sort of game about you controlling an army, a little gory, might have been exclusive to PS4 or PC.

It was on the upcoming exclusive games on the Sony Playstation 4 website, but I can't seem to find it anymore..

Any ideas of the name?

shink

There was this game I had as a kid maybe on Win 98 that was a children's game where you go around collecting rubbish that had been dumped all over this city.
Basically a point and click game but it's annoying me I can't find the name of it.

There was also another game with funny looking cartoon aliens/blobs in a sports competition similar to Olympics.

I played a ton of an OG Game Boy game in the mid 90's. I remember your character was some kind of ball and you had to bounce on the walls of square rooms. It was in japanese, so we didin't knew the actual name of the game.

If someone know that one, he'll be my hero forever!

I played a ton of an OG Game Boy game in the mid 90's. I remember your character was some kind of ball and you had to bounce on the walls of square rooms. It was in japanese, so we didin't knew the actual name of the game.

It's not Kirby's Block Ball, is it?
Sounds like a Breakout style game, but I probably can't help if it was Japanese only...

This is a game that hasn't been released yet. It's supposed to be released late 2014 I'm pretty sure. It was announced at E3 this year by an indie developer.

It's a sidescroller sort of game about you controlling an army, a little gory, might have been exclusive to PS4 or PC.

It was on the upcoming exclusive games on the Sony Playstation 4 website, but I can't seem to find it anymore..

Any ideas of the name?

Wasn't Guns Up, was it?

Nah, not Kirby, but thanks for the suggestion!

I forgot something: that was a top down view! That's why I remember the bit about square rooms!

pixxxelz

Back in the days a kid from school used to have a NES and I use to go to his place an we would play one of those 2d space shooters I don't really remember much about it but I do remember the game had 2 player coop, you pick power ups and iirc one of the bosses was a giant brain. I know this is very vague but I really don't remember much.

Also if this helps the game was very similar to that nokia game Space Impact (with a lot more details of course)
If anyone knows you'll be my hero forever

Niahak

Back in the days a kid from school used to have a NES and I use to go to his place an we would play one of those 2d space shooters I don't really remember much about it but I do remember the game had 2 player coop, you pick power ups and iirc one of the bosses was a giant brain. I know this is very vague but I really don't remember much.

Also if this helps the game was very similar to that nokia game Space Impact (with a lot more details of course)
If anyone knows you'll be my hero forever
Life Force seems most likely from your description.

Vlade

Here's one that my brother and i reminisced about over thanksgiving...

it was on an apple or early pc (early 1990s?), you took pictures of robots in a school to solve a mystery, each picture gave you a new part of the view of the offending robot, and i think there was education somewhere involved.

mclem

Here's one that my brother and i reminisced about over thanksgiving...

it was on an apple or early pc (early 1990s?), you took pictures of robots in a school to solve a mystery, each picture gave you a new part of the view of the offending robot, and i think there was education somewhere involved.

Super Solvers: Midnight Rescue.

uMsFlKi.png

bomblord1

Banned
Hmm this is super vague, all I can remember is an in engine cut scene, pretty sure it was a JRPG on the PS2 or possibly the Wii. The characters had combat forms that were vaguely like power ranger ninjas, in the cutscene they were defending a train (or possibly a robot) being wheeled out on train tracks. There was lots of Goky style teleportation and it was super over the top.

I know thats so vague that I dont even deserve to know what it is ;)

Were the characters sprites or full 3d?

I think I got one that can stump gaf geniuses. It's a small description but here goes nothing.
It was a 3D ps1 maybe dreamcast game. I believe the game begins with making a choice of playing as either a lady or a guy. They're standing on either side of, I want to say a cave but I could be wrong. They're both holding a weapon and when you choose one they go running or walking into said entrance. That's really all I could remember.

I wonder if you guys can get this one. I have never seen this game ever again outside of my vague memory. Really wish I could remember more.

Maybe Chalvo 55? Although, it's not top down.

I think I got one that can stump gaf geniuses. It's a small description but here goes nothing.
It was a 3D ps1 maybe dreamcast game. I believe the game begins with making a choice of playing as either a lady or a guy. They're standing on either side of, I want to say a cave but I could be wrong. They're both holding a weapon and when you choose one they go running or walking into said entrance. That's really all I could remember.

I wonder if you guys can get this one. I have never seen this game ever again outside of my vague memory. Really wish I could remember more.

You mention it's a 3D game. Were the characters you choose 3D or do you remember something about the camera view ingame (third person, top-down etc.) or genre (rail shooter, survival horror, arcade shooter like the Contra games on PS1 etc.)?

You mention it's a 3D game. Were the characters you choose 3D or do you remember something about the camera view ingame (third person, top-down etc.) or genre (rail shooter, survival horror, arcade shooter like the Contra games on PS1 etc.)?
I think it was a third person game. Yes if I'm remembering corectly the characters were in 3D also. I cannot remember a genre. I think I also remember there being some jumping. That's about all I can remember.

Salty Hippo

Ok, it's a very old PC DOS game. Very primitive, probably from the mid 80s. The background is black/dark. You control some kind of warrior... a samurai or a ninja... or something. And there's fighting. And maybe a house or some structure that I think you are supposed to enter.

I only remember tiny flashes of it. Probably played when I was 3 years old tops. What is it?

ekim

I've been looking for a game I played years and years ago. Can't seem to find it on google. Here's what I remember:

- Adventure game, possibly Point-and-Click. I believe it had pre-rendered backgrounds, though not sure.
- I believe it was grey-scale, or maybe just dark.
- Story was neo-noir. That much I remember.
- I believe you played as a female detective, but this part is fuzzy. Maybe just a female on a quest.

That's about all I have. At this point, I feel like I'm making this game up, as the only noir adventure games on google seem to be Gemini Rue and Grim Fandango.

Discworld Noir?

This isn't actually a game I ever played. I want to know what it was purely for closure on this pointlessly vivid memory that I have.

I believe it was the PS2/GC generation. I was watching a promotional video for a game in production and it was developers talking over their footage with a small live audience for Q&A.

It was a third person action game. You played a female. The whole philosophy behind the game design was that, if you failed, you didn't have to start over. The developers were talking about how missing a jump or a turn didn't mean you lost, you could keep going and be prompted with an alternate route. It was impossible to fail these sequences, in that sense.

The sequence in question was the character running at high speed along some sort of structure. I remember them being suspended in the sky, and the structures themselves were like very thick and very huge bridge suspensions. The character ran automatically and you had to respond to quick time events to jump or change course.

I also remember a second female character named Cat or Kat. She was completely human but had pretty obvious feline behavioral traits. Somebody from the QA audience asked, jokingly, how long the developers spent on Cat's hair. I believe at the time this game was supposed to look cutting edge.

Does anybody have any idea what it could be? It's one of those idiotic things that has haunted me for like ten years because I am really curious what the hell it was.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Trying to remember a space sim that came out on PC in the late 90's early 00's. It was an open ended space trading game.

The key features was that it had full newtonian flight physics and the whole thing took place in our own solar system with a realistic scale for the planets and distances.

I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, it's driving me batty.

Ok, it's a very old PC DOS game. Very primitive, probably from the mid 80s. The background is black/dark. You control some kind of warrior... a samurai or a ninja... or something. And there's fighting. And maybe a house or some structure that I think you are supposed to enter.

I only remember tiny flashes of it. Probably played when I was 3 years old tops. What is it?

Check out Bushido, Karateka, Ninja, Saboteur I & II.

I think it was a third person game. Yes if I'm remembering corectly the characters were in 3D also. I cannot remember a genre. I think I also remember there being some jumping. That's about all I can remember.

Forgot to ask, do you have an approximate year? Info like "it definitely wasn't after 1996" and such can narrow it down a lot.

Trying to remember a space sim that came out on PC in the late 90's early 00's. It was an open ended space trading game.

The key features was that it had full newtonian flight physics and the whole thing took place in our own solar system with a realistic scale for the planets and distances.

I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, it's driving me batty.

Try I-War (Independence War) and its sequel and Terminus.

This isn't actually a game I ever played. I want to know what it was purely for closure on this pointlessly vivid memory that I have.

I believe it was the PS2/GC generation. I was watching a promotional video for a game in production and it was developers talking over their footage with a small live audience for Q&A.

It was a third person action game. You played a female. The whole philosophy behind the game design was that, if you failed, you didn't have to start over. The developers were talking about how missing a jump or a turn didn't mean you lost, you could keep going and be prompted with an alternate route. It was impossible to fail these sequences, in that sense.

The sequence in question was the character running at high speed along some sort of structure. I remember them being suspended in the sky, and the structures themselves were like very thick and very huge bridge suspensions. The character ran automatically and you had to respond to quick time events to jump or change course.

I also remember a second female character named Cat or Kat. She was completely human but had pretty obvious feline behavioral traits. Somebody from the QA audience asked, jokingly, how long the developers spent on Cat's hair. I believe at the time this game was supposed to look cutting edge.

Does anybody have any idea what it could be? It's one of those idiotic things that has haunted me for like ten years because I am really curious what the hell it was.
Sure you're not thinking of Heavenly Sword on PS3? Sounds like the early stuff I remember them saying with the paths and such.

Stormus

Nintendo 64 game. You played as tanks. And they have like different 'classes' of tanks. Like some where heavy with high dmg, some were super light with good utility. It was like Team Fortress for tanks.

You could drop tank turrets and ride around and get like damage boost and on some multi-player matches you can get like nukes. It honestly was a fucking blast playing with other people, name is escaping me though

Remember playing a fps on the psone.

It was futuristic and if I remember your weapon changed barrel etc rather than a new weapon.
Although maybe rubbish but I think I remember it saying "reload" etc as you reloaded

LGom09

Nintendo 64 game. You played as tanks. And they have like different 'classes' of tanks. Like some where heavy with high dmg, some were super light with good utility. It was like Team Fortress for tanks.

You could drop tank turrets and ride around and get like damage boost and on some multi-player matches you can get like nukes. It honestly was a fucking blast playing with other people, name is escaping me though

BattleTanx: Global Assault?

Genryu

Banned
This game just hit me a little bit ago, but I can't for the life of me remember the name, and no amount of searching has helped me.

It was an old PC game (I think) where you were leading an army as the head of a fast food restaurant with fast food themed troops.

This may be a real game or I might be insane, please help me prove that I'm not crazy.

xezuru

This one is probably gonna be hard cause I'm thinking it might of been a Freeware or something of the sort on PC? Was a mech game in the sort of like Virtual On or something, I think it was western developed. It had more of a multiplayer deathmatch feel rather than a mechwarrior ish feel, I think. You could garage in and customize parts and there was AI you could fight, don't know if it was online. Wasn't super old or anything, pretty sure it was pre-2005 I THINK.

This one is probably gonna be hard cause I'm thinking it might of been a Freeware or something of the sort on PC? Was a mech game in the sort of like Virtual On or something, I think it was western developed. It had more of a multiplayer deathmatch feel rather than a mechwarrior ish feel, I think. You could garage in and customize parts and there was AI you could fight, don't know if it was online. Wasn't super old or anything, pretty sure it was pre-2005 I THINK.

War World?

Top Bottom