• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

AusQB

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Alright this might be a pretty tough one:

I'm thinking of a downloadable F2P multiplayer game I used to play around the year 2000's. It was a futuristic top down shooter.

-Futuristic looking. My faded mental picture says it looked like Fallout/Halo mixed
-Static Top down view (Player is always centered)
-Had jetpacks
-I think there was a weighted equipment system that effected gameplay. (Fast Light-Armored=Scout, Slow Heavy Armor=Heavy)
-Possibly had class system? I remember being able to cloak, there were medics, and engineers
-Variety of weapons that you could buy (Mines, Grenades, Assault Rifles, Sniper, Rockets)
-It was a CTF based game?
-Up to 16 or 24 or 32 players, i think
-I think it was pretty detailed, had destructible environments

Me and my friend used to play this a lot and I think we stopped playing when it stopped being F2P. We've actually been trying to figure out what the name of this game was called for like the past 2 years. :lol
When you say top down, do you mean directly above like Asteroids or an isometric view like Diablo?

Quote said:
The Ultimate Stuntman? I remember my Mom randomly surprising us with this game. I'm pretty sure it came from a weird source like Avon or something.

She probably got it from QVC or some similar TV shopping network. I remember them shilling one of the NES Dizzy games pretty hard once, and Codemasters published both the Dizzy series and The Ultimate Stuntman.

Anyway, pretty damn good game. Graphically impressive for sure.

AusQB said:
When you say top down, do you mean directly above like Asteroids or an isometric view like Diablo?

-Isometric view.
-There was definitely a class system, now that I think about it. Engineers build turrets, Medics had healing equipment, Scouts had cloaking.
-I remember there also being a homebase where you buy your equipment and when you are ready you move into a teleporter that drops you into the battlefield.

mrplaid

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
-Isometric view.
-There was definitely a class system, now that I think about it. Engineers build turrets, Medics had healing equipment, Scouts had cloaking.
-I remember there also being a homebase where you buy your equipment and when you are ready you move into a teleporter that drops you into the battlefield.

Maybe a bit of a stretch, but this sounds a little like you guys might have been playing the multiplayer beta for Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War. It was released in 2004.
http://www.giantbomb.com/warhammer-40000-dawn-of-war/61-2115/

MedIC86 said:
Possibly not but it sounds a bit like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infantry_(video_game)

It has a lot of things you mention,

Holy shiiit. Thats it! Thanks for the find!

Wow, it hasn't aged well.

lala.jpg

I forgot there were hoverboards! lol

Ranvier

Hopefully someone can help me with this quandary.

I remember playing this game back when I was in 7th maybe 8th grade. It was probably the first PC game I ever bought. I remember that you flew planes around on some moon and your basic mission was trying escape. The whole thing was open world and you could upgrade your ship, bounty hunt for credits, scavenge and even eventually open up your own store and sell things that NPC units would buy. There was also some sort of faction thing that you had to join at some point. And I remember aliens being involved towards the end for some reason. You had to recharge your ship under these giant solar panel type things as well I think.

The really unique thing I remember is that the cut scenes were all live action (which absolutely blew my mind at the time). I don't think it was any famous actors but it was still pretty cool. I probably played this game over and over for years just because it was different each time.

Does the description trigger anyone's memory?

Moofers

Arcade, 1990's, Final Fight styled beat-em-up. One level was full of enemies who were clearly supposed to represent homosexuals. The boss of the level had a rose in his teeth and when you got to the Continue screen, a closeup of him winking or raising his eyebrows at you would bait you into putting in more money.

Halp?

Gravijah

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Holy shiiit. Thats it! Thanks for the find!

Wow, it hasn't aged well.

http://s3.media.squarespace.com/production/413270/4532511/2007/01/lala.jpg[IMG]

I forgot there were hoverboards! lol[/QUOTE]

Hah, it was the game I was thinking of. And uhm wow, I remembered it looking... better. lol.

DeadTrees

Moofers said:
Arcade, 1990's, Final Fight styled beat-em-up. One level was full of enemies who were clearly supposed to represent homosexuals. The boss of the level had a rose in his teeth and when you got to the Continue screen, a closeup of him winking or raising his eyebrows at you would bait you into putting in more money.

Halp?
Probably Crime Fighters 2.

MedIC86

Ranvier said:

I remember playing this game back when I was in 7th maybe 8th grade. It was probably the first PC game I ever bought. I remember that you flew planes around on some moon and your basic mission was trying escape. The whole thing was open world and you could upgrade your ship, bounty hunt for credits, scavenge and even eventually open up your own store and sell things that NPC units would buy. There was also some sort of faction thing that you had to join at some point. And I remember aliens being involved towards the end for some reason. You had to recharge your ship under these giant solar panel type things as well I think.

The really unique thing I remember is that the cut scenes were all live action (which absolutely blew my mind at the time). I don't think it was any famous actors but it was still pretty cool. I probably played this game over and over for years just because it was different each time.

Some guesses:

- Could be a game from the Wing Commander series
- Privateer 1 or 2 (this gets closest to your description)

I've got one that I have been trying to remember for years, a birthday gift from my parents.

-NES, probably around 89-90 but I have no idea when it would have released.
-You control a motorcycle with a sidecar, which had guns, that is constantly moving.
-Top-down perspective.

MedIC86

callmedave said:
I've got one that I have been trying to remember for years, a birthday gift from my parents.

-You control a motorcycle with a sidecar, which had guns, that is constantly moving.
-Top-down perspective.

Machrider?

DeadTrees

callmedave said:

-Top-down perspective.
Sounds like Thundercade.

It's impossible to find my last requested game, but this one should be a bit easier.

It's a point 'n click game where the main character resembles a strawberry.

mclem

Ranvier said:

The first part sounds uncannily like Mercenary (a game that was *massively* ahead of its time), but that doesn't fit with the later point about FMV. Could you be conflating two games here?

Ranvier

mclem said:
The first part sounds uncannily like Mercenary (a game that was *massively* ahead of its time), but that doesn't fit with the later point about FMV. Could you be conflating two games here?

Gah, this bothered me for like an hour at work, but I finally found it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardwar_(video_game)

Great game called Hardwar: The Future is Greedy, by Interplay. Did anyone here ever play it? It really was a fantastic game.

There's this racing game, which I remember nothing about the graphics or anything except this one soundbite where a really annoying dude-voice shouts "you're going the wrong way!" every time you're going in reverse. I quote this a lot for no reason and I even remember exactly how the dude's voice sounded.

PigSpeakers said:
There's this racing game, which I remember nothing about the graphics or anything except this one soundbite where a really annoying dude-voice shouts "you're going the wrong way!" every time you're going in reverse. I quote this a lot for no reason and I even remember exactly how the dude's voice sounded.

Crazy Taxi? I seem to remember some passengers yelling that.

Edit: found a clip for reference http://youtu.be/YhsE6qdQr1g?t=56s

mclem

I think it might be Screamer. Is there also a "Watch out for the next bend!" in there? That was always my lasting memory of the announcer.

Anilusion

Anilusion said:
A SNES 2d action game with a very japanese feel to it. There were big fish-looking things that you could ride on land.

Also gonna add that it was a sidescroller, platform-ish. The levels I played were outdoors.

I'm sure a Google search would help me here because I know its a licensed game but this thread is fun.

It's a Scooby Doo adventure game for the genesis(?), isometric view, haunted mansion style where you need to find objects and perform tasks to unlock areas. Haven't played games in this genre since then until now with Back to the Future. It's definitely making me wish I got into these types of games more often.

Peagles

I'm not sure anyone here will know it, but I played a game on our classroom computer in maybe 92-93 and I'd like to find it again.

It might be older than 92-93 because our school wasn't exactly up with the latest tech, and I thought it was called something like "Discovery", but I can't seem to find anything with that on Google.

It was a side scroller and you walked around a space ship (in a space suit maybe, I can't remember that well). It reminds me a lot of Metroid on NES, especially the music; it's that kind of ambient space-themed blips and bloops style. I think it might have even had long corridors with doors at the ends like Metroid. I think you had a gun too, but again I'm not sure.

I've sort of resigned myself to the fact that I'll probably never find it, but if anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful!

AusQB

PigSpeakers said:
Redline Racer instantly comes to mind.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Anyone heard of an online only 2d action game. It is side scrolling, where you play as a spy against other player(that's also a spy) running around hacking terminal.

You can set a hidden door anywhere in the map that only you can see, and the door will be the entrance to your secret base where you buy upgrade and equipment.

If other player see you setting, entering, or exiting your secret base, your hidden door will be reveal to them, and t hey can hack your base.

I remember having a lot of fun playing that game, but it eventually shut down, just wondering if anyone remember the name, and if there is something similar in the market.

Teppic

Peagles said:
I'm not sure anyone here will know it, but I played a game on our classroom computer in maybe 92-93 and I'd like to find it again.

It might be older than 92-93 because our school wasn't exactly up with the latest tech, and I thought it was called something like "Discovery", but I can't seem to find anything with that on Google.

It was a side scroller and you walked around a space ship (in a space suit maybe, I can't remember that well). It reminds me a lot of Metroid on NES, especially the music; it's that kind of ambient space-themed blips and bloops style. I think it might have even had long corridors with doors at the ends like Metroid. I think you had a gun too, but again I'm not sure.

I've sort of resigned myself to the fact that I'll probably never find it, but if anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful!
Captain Comic? Probably not, since it's not really in a space ship and there's barely any music in it.

ronito

There was a dungeons and dragons 4 player hack and slash that had branching paths and all that. It was in arcades but I almost wanna say there was a dreamcast version.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I was wondering if some people knew what these games were that we got with our Gateway with Windows 95 on it when it first came out. One was a demo disc with a bunch of games like Beavis and Butthead and this space flying game that I can't think of. One other game that came with the gateway was this time traveling exploration type game like Myst. I remember at one point you could go back to the Aztec civilization times or something.

Boney

Banned
ok this has been in my mind since long as I can remember, problem is I don't really remember much.

I think it was a Snes RPG, not sure though. And I think you controlled a guy in a green suit. What a I do remember is that after the opening sequence, the land split from the earth and floated and I think you couldn't go back down, or maybe there was a chain from which you could go down.

Should be from 92-93, I don't remember much because it was from a friend of my brother, and neither of us have any real recolection of it.

Oh and it was top down I'm sure.

Quick

Banned
Got a couple of games I can't remember the name of.

The game involves you piloting a plane/jet/flying craft where you can change views between first person and third person. You are flying in a desert environment, where you eventually encounter a pyramid that you need to shoot. You also encounter other things shooting at you, like a tank.

This other game is futuristic and has a 3D overhead view of the area you're in. I can't think of other details other than a lot of exploding barrels and hacking computers to get to other areas, etc.

These two games were bundled with my computer back in the late-90s, along with Asteroids and some other games.

RustyO

kiunchbb said:
Anyone heard of an online only 2d action game. It is side scrolling, where you play as a spy against other player(that's also a spy) running around hacking terminal.

You can set a hidden door anywhere in the map that only you can see, and the door will be the entrance to your secret base where you buy upgrade and equipment.

If other player see you setting, entering, or exiting your secret base, your hidden door will be reveal to them, and t hey can hack your base.

I remember having a lot of fun playing that game, but it eventually shut down, just wondering if anyone remember the name, and if there is something similar in the market.

Sounds kind of like Spy vs Spy, but that was an old C64 game. Maybe the online is a remake?

Trojita said:
I was wondering if some people knew what these games were that we got with our Gateway with Windows 95 on it when it first came out. One was a demo disc with a bunch of games like Beavis and Butthead and this space flying game that I can't think of. One other game that came with the gateway was this time traveling exploration type game like Myst. I remember at one point you could go back to the Aztec civilization times or something.
Most definitely this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Journeyman_Project

Alright, this is a request from a friend of mine.

Facts she gave me:

Windows 98; "You went on the alternate desktop for Microsoft Entertainment Pack and it'd be there slapped with all the games"; "It was like some random jumble of whatever with a bunch of different games/programs in it that had like a paint thingy and a mic controlled game and a bunch of puzzles"; and "weird little menu screen".

Any help?

GrayFoxPL

Okay, it's a pirate(actual pirate) action game for ps360.

I remember a video where the main hero used his blade as well as guns and there were big gold coins dropped from defeated enemies.

Possibly this got canceled, but I'm unable to properly google it because of word "pirate".

Top Bottom