• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

mr_chun

Rabbitwork said:
sounds like maybe shivers 2?
shivers2_790screen003.jpg

i couldn't find it but i'm almost positive you encounter a room with a cow skull prominently displayed early in the game.
Interesting, that's not exactly what I remember it looking like, but it seems right. I'll look up some videos and see if it jogs my memory.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
GrayFoxPL said:
Okay, it's a pirate(actual pirate) action game for ps360.

I remember a video where the main hero used his blade as well as guns and there were big gold coins dropped from defeated enemies.

Possibly this got cancelled, but I'm unable to properly google it because of word "pirate".

Captain Blood?

canocha

I wonder if someone can help me find these games:

1. Really old MS/DOS game, you played with a naked guy (you could actually see his "manhood" when you turn from one side to the other). He swimed like a dolphin and i think it was set in Atlantis or Atlantida;
  2. Another MS/DOS game, side-scrolling adventure. A guy with a gray and green (i think) armor. I think theres DUG or DIG in the name. Well he could dig holes with something!

Thanks!

spats

I need some help with this one game. It was a PC game about resource trading with a bunch of alien races. There was flying involved too. If I had to guess the year, around 1995?

It had Bach's Brandenburg concerto playing in one of the menus.

http://youtu.be/hZ9qWpa2rIg

All 2D art as far as I can remember.

mclem

spats said:
I need some help with this one game. It was a PC game about resource trading with a bunch of alien races. There was flying involved too. If I had to guess the year, around 1995?

It had Bach's Brandenburg concerto playing in one of the menus.

http://youtu.be/hZ9qWpa2rIg

All 2D art as far as I can remember.

Commander Blood?

(No relation to the "Captain Blood" upthread, but *every* relation to *another*
"Captain Blood")

spats

mclem said:
Commander Blood?

(No relation to the "Captain Blood" upthread, but *every* relation to *another*
"Captain Blood")

Definitely on the right track, but it's not that one.

All the character art was digitally drawn. Very colorful as far as I can remember.

MedIC86

Gaf, i need help finding an old obscure title.

I remember playing it on DOS in da old days. The game was kinda like Kins Quest, a point and click adventure in a magical land. But the main person was a girl, (rosa ? something) Also you could die in a million ways, i remember a forest where the branches would hit you etc, i also remember something about getting to an island via a whale or something, and on that island there was a tower with some quest in it.

It all sounds very vague, been trying to find it some years now, but no luck.

Thanks

protonion

MedIC86 said:
Gaf, i need help finding an old obscure title.

I remember playing it on DOS in da old days. The game was kinda like Kins Quest, a point and click adventure in a magical land. But the main person was a girl, (rosa ? something) Also you could die in a million ways, i remember a forest where the branches would hit you etc, i also remember something about getting to an island via a whale or something, and on that island there was a tower with some quest in it.

It all sounds very vague, been trying to find it some years now, but no luck.

Thanks

I think it's Legend of Kyrandia 2 - Hand of Fate

MedIC86

protonion said:
I think it's Legend of Kyrandia 2 - Hand of Fate

It did not look that good, thanks though..

edit: LOL i found it....turned out to be King's Quest 4 - Perils of Rosella (that was the name i rememberd) holy shit i did not even know it was part of that series.....mind..blown..

PooBone

I remember this NES game where you were a pirate walking around on a ship. I don't remember what you did in the game but I remember the cartridge was black and wasn't shaped like a normal NES cartridge. Anyone?

mclem

PooBone said:
I remember this NES game where you were a pirate walking around on a ship. I don't remember what you did in the game but I remember the cartridge was black and wasn't shaped like a normal NES cartridge. Anyone?

Skull & Crossbones?

Gozan

Peagles said:
I'm not sure anyone here will know it, but I played a game on our classroom computer in maybe 92-93 and I'd like to find it again.

It might be older than 92-93 because our school wasn't exactly up with the latest tech, and I thought it was called something like "Discovery", but I can't seem to find anything with that on Google.

It was a side scroller and you walked around a space ship (in a space suit maybe, I can't remember that well). It reminds me a lot of Metroid on NES, especially the music; it's that kind of ambient space-themed blips and bloops style. I think it might have even had long corridors with doors at the ends like Metroid. I think you had a gun too, but again I'm not sure.

Exile?

Polydeuces said:
There was this PS1 game me and my friend had played. Gameplay was like there would be these characters on a board and by selecting these cards they were given, they would either move, shoot, or dodge or something like that. Colors corresponded with what the action was.
It was like playing final fantasy tactics but with cards.
Kartia?

Soulhouf

This is not an easy one I guess.

I think it was back in 87-88. I played a game on our classroom "computer" which was an Amstrad CPC or something like that, I'm not sure.
Anyway, you control a guy firing a gun and throwing grenades in a top down action game where you can not scroll back so you keep advancing.
In my memories the game features only 4 levels and finishing them warps you to the beginning where the enemies become stronger and so on, I'm not sure if the game features an ending.
All the enemies are green except for the final one who is red and the guy you control is blue.
The 4 levels are as the following:
1- a sort of forest where you are attacked by soldiers like you.
2- a plain where you fight tanks but you can only destroy them by either using grenades or ride a tank yourself (blue/red tank). There are small tanks and big ones. If your tank is hit, you can jump out of it then return back and it is repaired like by magic. I don't remember the exact process though.
3- you cross a sea where you continue to fight the same tanks (you tell me how is that possible)
4- you arrive to a sort of a fortress where you fight again the same tanks and you have to beat a sort of a red tank to clear the level.

Boney

Banned
Boney said:
ok this has been in my mind since long as I can remember, problem is I don't really remember much.

I think it was a Snes RPG, not sure though. And I think you controlled a guy in a green suit. What a I do remember is that after the opening sequence, the land split from the earth and floated and I think you couldn't go back down, or maybe there was a chain from which you could go down.

Should be from 92-93, I don't remember much because it was from a friend of my brother, and neither of us have any real recolection of it.

Oh and it was top down I'm sure.
Pleaaaaase

mrplaid

Soulhouf said:

I think it was back in 87-88. I played a game on our classroom "computer" which was an Amstrad CPC or something like that, I'm not sure.
Anyway, you control a guy firing a gun and throwing grenades in a top down action game where you can not scroll back so you keep advancing.
In my memories the game features only 4 levels and finishing them warps you to the beginning where the enemies become stronger and so on, I'm not sure if the game features an ending.
All the enemies are green except for the final one who is red and the guy you control is blue.
The 4 levels are as the following:
1- a sort of forest where you are attacked by soldiers like you.
2- a plain where you fight tanks but you can only destroy them by either using grenades or ride a tank yourself (blue/red tank). There are small tanks and big ones. If your tank is hit, you can jump out of it then return back and it is repaired like by magic. I don't remember the exact process though.
3- you cross a sea where you continue to fight the same tanks (you tell me how is that possible)
4- you arrive to a sort of a fortress where you fight again the same tanks and you have to beat a sort of a red tank to clear the level.

*Sounds like* a port of Geurilla War.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4JmBDVWV-0

pegaso

Neo Member
I've got one that's been bothering me since forever. It was a 2D shooter with top-down view, and in the first levels you moved through a maze shooting other dudes and finding cards to open locked doors to advance to the next one. I *think* it was an MS-DOS game that I played on Win95, but I was a small kid then, I might be wrong. I do remember a friend gave it to me in a pirated floppy. All my memory can gather makes me think it was generic crap from the shareware era that no one will remember, but the 6 or 7 years-old me demands that I ask anyway. Help me scratch that itch in the back of my mind, GAF.

EDIT: Ha! I suddenly remembered the game had 'dogs' somewhere in his name, and it turns out I'm not the only one that remembers it. I can even download it now: CYBERDOGS. Let's ruin some fond memories!

Tenck

Lets see if I remember this correctly.

I remember playing a game on the N64 long ago that was a FPS with monsters in it (oh yeah like we didn't get many of those).

Anyways this game was in like in an abandoned city and you could go down in the sewers. I remember walking down a tunnel once and this monster just jumps down in front of me and scared the living crap out of me.

I must confront my fear Gaf. Help me slay the monster!

I have no faith in people helping me out (not because you guys are going to ignore me) but because I gave the least descriptive summary of a game.

Celine

Boney said:
Pleaaaaase
Try check YS 2 ( but it was never released on SNES ) or Lufia 1.

Tenck said:

I remember playing a game on the N64 long ago that was a FPS with monsters in it (oh yeah like we didn't get many of those).

Anyways this game was in like in an abandoned city and you could go down in the sewers. I remember walking down a tunnel once and this monster just jumps down in front of me and scared the living crap out of me.

I have no faith in people helping me out (not because you guys are going to ignore me) but because I gave the least descriptive summary of a game.
Well there aren't many FPS on N64.
There are GoldenEye, Perfect Dark by Nintendo.
Port from PC games like Hexen, Quake, Duke Nukem.
And original games from Acclaim like Turok 1&2, Armorines ...

What kind of monsters those were ?
I would say to check first Duke Nukem and Turok 2.

Tenck said:

I know this is pretty obvious, but could you be remembering Turok 2? You're definitely in a sewer-type area at one point, and the creatures tend to jump out at you sometimes.

mclem

Tenck said:

Well, it's not a game I owned, so I'm confined to guesswork, but there's a few possibilities that maybe spring to mind:

Nightmare Creatures
Shadow Man
Could possibly be Daikatana - I'm quite proud I know little detail about that one!

Myriadis

Tenck said:

Jet Force Gemini also has this,an abadoned village with a sewer system.The only real monsters in this game are Ants, though.But yeah, Turok 2 is also very close.

Edit:Oh, wait, FPS, not TPS.

Soulhouf said:
Thanks for the answer but that's not it...

After doing some research I found a number of games like that on the machine. I guess they were into the genre top down military action back then (predecessors of modern FPS? maybe).

But I didn't find the game I'm talking about...

Ikari Warriors, Guerilla War and Victory Road are the only one I can think that would fit, I remember a few similar games like Who Dares Wins II and Commando but they were single player with no vehicles.

eso76

Soulhouf said:

heh. not easy at all.
Amstrad..let's see.
Purple hearts ?
Who dares wins 1/2 ?

i don't really remember those games, not even sure there were vehicles

Truphenom

Been bothering me for too many years. Gameboy fighter kind of like street fighter where there different characters you could choose. I can only remember this guy doing something like a dragon kick across the screen liu kang style lol.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It was a DS mystery/adventure game. I remember hearing about it on podcasts.

But it was like, you're investigating a murder and on one screen is the crime scene 50 years in the future, and on the other screen its the crime scene right after it happened. You somehow make comparisons between the two sections and solve the case that way.

It always sounded really really cool.

Boney

Banned
I don't think it's neither of the games you guys mentioned. Lufia 1 kinda gave me some sparks but watched like 50 minutes and yeah that wasn't it.

Sigh, only glimpsed it like twice when I was 3, but my brother also kinda remembers i. This will torment me 'till the day I die.

Tenck

Night_Trekker said:
I know this is pretty obvious, but could you be remembering Turok 2? You're definitely in a sewer-type area at one point, and the creatures tend to jump out at you sometimes.

You magnificent bastard! It is Turok 2!

Peagles

Gozan said:

Had a look and I don't think so. If I'm remembering right, it was more closed in like Metroid, in side-on corridors, rather than anything open (though I probably didn't get that far at ~5 years old)...

Saw a trailer for a DS (I think) game a while back. It was going to a be a mystery-adventure game, I think about a novelist. The trailer prominently showed a typewriter. Might have had a film-noir mood. Maybe in Hollywood? Any of this ring a bell?

edit: n/m found it

Tenck said:

Turok 3 had a notable sewer area with monsters around corners.

There's this Game Boy/Game Boy Color (I can't quite remember which) puzzle game. It's a Tetris-clone with Mario characters (Yoshi, for one). There were boses, IIRC. There was also a Blaarg boss. =d

Edit: FOUND IT! Tetris Attack!

Pejo

Gold Member
I did a search to see if this one may have already been in the thread, but couldn't really figure out any good keywords to search, and it's been driving me NUTS all day.

This was a SNES game, where you could play as 1 of 3 robots, I believe you could even swap them out during gameplay. (Maybe not). There was a red robot with a whip/gun thing, a blue one with maybe just a standard gun that you could free aim, and a cat robot that could fit where the other 2 couldn't, and I think roll into a ball.

I think there was even an upgrade component via orbs or xp or something to that nature.

Any ideas?

Pejo said:
I did a search to see if this one may have already been in the thread, but couldn't really figure out any good keywords to search, and it's been driving me NUTS all day.

This was a SNES game, where you could play as 1 of 3 robots, I believe you could even swap them out during gameplay. (Maybe not). There was a red robot with a whip/gun thing, a blue one with maybe just a standard gun that you could free aim, and a cat robot that could fit where the other 2 couldn't, and I think roll into a ball.

I think there was even an upgrade component via orbs or xp or something to that nature.

Any ideas?
I answered this one a few pages back too... Xardion most likely?

DUN GOOFD

Banned
old original gameboy puzzle game
u played like a circle or something that would move around through levels in a certain amount of moves i think. u had to slide around blocks. think the game was called something like qwert.. (not q-bert)

anyone know what im talking about?

there was this game on the PC, think played it first time 15 years ago, that there was a boy with a hood and was riding something that he used to jump and I believe there was a dog as well, there was also an overworld map, it was a platformer as well, and Sci-Fi I believe!

Top Bottom