• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

DUN GOOFD said:
old original gameboy puzzle game
u played like a circle or something that would move around through levels in a certain amount of moves i think. u had to slide around blocks. think the game was called something like qwert.. (not q-bert)

anyone know what im talking about?

Sure it wasn't a mouse?

Sounds like QBillion.

I played another you had to push crates around, the name has long been forgotten.

DUN GOOFD

Banned
drugstore_cowboy said:
Sure it wasn't a mouse?

Sounds like QBillion.

I played another you had to push crates around, the name has long been forgotten.
just googled QBillion, nope not it. wasnt a mouse.. it was something round tho. yeah i think u had to move and push your away around blocks to make ur way through each level.

protonion

Kwirk

Kwirk-UE-.png

aaaaaa

walking fiend said:
there was this game on the PC, think played it first time 15 years ago, that there was a boy with a hood and was riding something that he used to jump and I believe there was a dog as well, there was also an overworld map, it was a platformer as well, and Sci-Fi I believe!

Don't know about the dog but otherwise it sounds like a Commander Keen game.

Trying to remember a game that was on windows 3.1.

It was a 2d platformer where you played as an alien with red suction cups for hands lol.

Anyone have any clues

NO_Quarter25 said:
Trying to remember a game that was on windows 3.1.

It was a 2d platformer where you played as an alien with red suction cups for hands lol.

Anyone have any clues
That would probably be Apogee's DOS classic Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure.

Apoc87

Banned
Arcade game where you fly around on a bicycle with wings/umbrellas and shit. I seem to remember flying through hoops as the main objective for this game.

Arcade, 10+ years ago. I'm pretty sure the game was called SkyCycle. The actual cab had a bicycle-like apparatus attached and you could lean and steer just like a motorcycle arcade cab.

What i'm asking is, does anyone remember this game, or actually playing the game? I cannot find any information out on the internet. I remember playing it in an abandoned mall's arcade right before the mall shut down for good.

Zeliard

mclem said:
What exactly do you mean by 'you navigated the environment via square tiles'? Do you mean that it played out on a grid, or do you mean that the tiles were (in some way) how you moved (I'm thinking something along the lines of how Populous's interface was presented).

Anyhow, PC isometric dungeony games from that era which could fit that bill:

Legend (AKA "The Four Crystals of Trazere")
Hero Quest (Based on the MB boardgame, not the original name for Quest for Glory)
Heimdall (or 2)
The Immortal
Mystic Towers (probably too lighthearted, going against the broodingness you describe)

Legend matches up with what I interpreted you as meaning by that tiles line
Haha sorry for the late reply, just saw this. But you found it! It was The Immortal, thanks for figuring it out. I remembered the floors generally being tiled but the movement isnt grid-based.

Must be close to 20 years since I've played that game but what remained memorable were the isometric viewpoint, the dark and dangerous atmosphere, and the crazy traps. It's a predecessor in some ways to games of that ilk, i.e. From Software's games.

I played this old old DOS game where you controlled a tank in a top down perspective, and had to blow up the opponent's tank with whatever weaponry you had at your command...it played out in sort of a prize fight structure, where you got money when you won and you could use that money to upgrade your tank with better engines for speed, stronger armor to withstand more hits, and a _ton_ of different weapons, I think there were over a dozen of them...the upgrade screen was like half weapons, and half everything else. I really wish I could remember what that game was called though...all I really remember about it was the levels were all done up in grey with a lighter shade of grey for the walls, and you had a blue and red tank on the field.

Jasconius

OK this is a little different but I was hoping you guys could help!

My friend was trying to remember a couple of games he saw on Amazon a few months ago but we can't seem to figure out they were. Here's what he remembers:

They were on the Amazon PS3 front page (we think around July) even though they were not released here. One of them was available for pre-order but it had no set date, the other was not available at all. There were a lot of comments on the games lamenting the fact that they were not being release here (USA).

He thinks that they were from Square-Enix or some other large publisher.

He thinks they were RPG-ish games although not necessarily traditional RPGs

The cover art reminded him of Valkyria Chronicles style art for one of the games, the one that was available for pre-order with no date set.

Ketch

EasyTGT said:
Ok here's one.

It was on genesis, around the same time X-men 2 was out. It was a side scrolling adventure/platformer with like futuristic Egyptian motif. One of the beginning levels was like in a forest and there were goldish floating platforms and elevators. Also, you had blue wrist mounted grappling laser you could use to raise or lower yourself. The thing I remember most was the great animation.

Bringing this quesion back, its definetly not Mega Turrican. And maybe it wasn really egypian themed, I just kind of remember it that way. Think kind of like stargate egyptian if that makes sense. The main character was in a blue suit with gold armor pieces and black hair. The wrist mounted laser could be used to shoot or as a grappling beam, if you crouched and shot down there was this really detailed animation for swinging down under the platform and then lowering yourself on the beam. I remember the wrist laser and the detailed animations being the main gimmicks of the game.

Okay, mine was for Gameboy Advance (or GBC, but I'm pretty sure it was the former) and it played similar to Galaga. Vertical-scrolling shooter where you played as a single ship, had lives, shot the ships (and occasionally actual structures like turrets) in front of you, and each level ended with a boss. One of the earlier levels in particular was very desert-like with large amounts of sand, occasional oases/trees, etc.

Island

Ok,

Mine was an old text adventure game played on an Atari 1040STe....

Dont have much to go on, but it started out with a crashed ship and you could go north/south/etc. There was a mountain to the east if I remember that you couldnt get around, and you could examine your crashed ship for stuff. I think you were able to grab water and something else. I remember once getting far away from the ship, and it was some alien world that had big lakes and stuff.

I know thats really vague but without graphics I can really only remember some of the story.

EDIT: I remember another one.... was an old BBS game I think. It was like a spy game with different floors in a hotel where you were trying to kill other players. You could go between floors with the fire escape and elevator. You could kill people with knives and stuff. The object was to stay alive, and I think thats it.

Giard

Looking for a platformer on the SNES. Gf thinks there were multiple playable animals, including a red fox. You might have been able to turn into a liquid by going in a faucet...or was it to change characters?

Sorry for the vague description. :p

Giard said:
Looking for a platformer on the SNES. Gf thinks there were multiple playable animals, including a red fox. You might have been able to turn into a liquid by going in a faucet...or was it to change characters?

Sorry for the vague description. :p
Possibly a stretch here but Claymates? There's a red cat but a bunch of different animals and you can go into funnel things and such. Not too sure if there's something that fits your description better.

Giard

Wibblewozzer said:
Possibly a stretch here but Claymates? There's a red cat but a bunch of different animals and you can go into funnel things and such. Not too sure if there's something that fits your description better.

That's most likely it. Thanks!

Alright, I've got one I can't remember the name of:

It was a fighting game I played on the PC somewhere in the very early nineties. The characters you fought with were animals. I can remember a monkey and an elephant, they were dressed though and walked sort of upright. There was a cartoonish style to them. They also used swords. The elephant made a weird sort of trumpeting sound. It was rather difficult to progress in. Also, the backgrounds looked rather striking.

And this I'm not sure about, perhaps there was more to it than only the fighting, maybe a little platforming as well... like dodging or jumping over things that came at you one a moving beltway of some kind.

Anyone else played this?

Dynedom

Dragon Spirit for the NES. Took me forever to figure out its name after seeing it in a "All 200 NES games in 2 minutes" video or something.

Nostalgia overload.

OK, I don't think I'll ever figure this one out. It's a C64 game from like '88 and I used to believe it was called "Election" or something along those lines, but after searching the web for hours, this can't be true.

It involved a number of sprites with huge, super-deformed heads (not sure if they even had bodies) moving around on a city-ish playfield, some of which were wearing sunglasses and you controlling one of them. Sometimes, the others would become aggressive and you'd fight them by ramming into them which would make sounds that resembled explosions in early shooters. I think I remember the cityscape looking kind of like Onett from Earthbound.

That's all I've got. Somehow I have the feeling I'll never remember what this one was called. :(

duckroll

Fallout-NL said:
Alright, I've got one I can't remember the name of:

It was a fighting game I played on the PC somewhere in the very early nineties. The characters you fought with were animals. I can remember a monkey and an elephant, they were dressed though and walked sort of upright. There was a cartoonish style to them. They also used swords. The elephant made a weird sort of trumpeting sound. It was rather difficult to progress in. Also, the backgrounds looked rather striking.

And this I'm not sure about, perhaps there was more to it than only the fighting, maybe a little platforming as well... like dodging or jumping over things that came at you one a moving beltway of some kind.

Anyone else played this?

Battle Beast?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlZDuxrPy48

Shadow780 said:
Here's one:

Played an arcade beat-em-up, you play as cyborg ninjas or something like that and can morph into enemies and use their moves (I think). The graphics are Neogeo level IIRC.

Was this ever answered? Does the person even care anymore?

I think the game they were looking for was Shadow Force.

AIRic

It's a PC racing game where you could drive an hot-rodish black car with flames. I remember it having some cool stages like a place with a T-Rex, a tornado, etc. I think the game had Devil or Demon in the title.

AIRic said:
It's a PC racing game where you could drive an hot-rodish black car with flames. I remember it having some cool stages like a place with a T-Rex, a tornado, etc. I think the game had Devil or Demon in the title.
Speed Busters? The Dreamcast version of the game changed the name to Speed Devils, so name-wise that's what you're probably thinking of.

Radogol

Fallout-NL said:
Nope, sorry that's not it.

The animals do have a cartoony style, but way more traditional than that. Less exaggerated if you will.

Man were probably not going to find it, I haven't seen or come across the game once since I've played it 20 years ago. :p

/edit: These animals could have been wearing bellhop outfits or a fez?
Paws of Fury?

Nekofrog

Banned
I just suddenly thought of this one while laying in bed (not sure why).

Played this on my uncle's genesis a lot when I was about 7 or 8, which would put this at around 1991 or 1992 (maybe... could be a little older).

As stated:

-Genesis
-Sci-Fi
-You would travel to different planets and explore them in an isometric or overhead view (can't really remember)
-Pretty sure you were in a vehicle of some kind

Can't remember much else about it, including gameplay. For a while I thought it was Buck Rogers (as I also played that on his Genesis a lot), but upon further thought that was more an RPG.

Any ideas? I know it's not a lot of info to run on.

XeroSauce

There was a game that you played on like Win95, where you control a girl in green armor and you had to collect emeralds? And it was very old-Prince of Persia ish, and you choose the level to start on. The naps were like valleys and weird caves.

Ashodin

Here's one that will surely stump your brains.

Details:

It was a old Windows first-person dungeon crawler with multiple windows for spells, gear, equipment, items, and a text-based log detailing what was happening. It had a map as well, top down style. The graphics were okay, but the character customization was top notch.

Any ideas?

XeroSauce said:
There was a game that you played on like Win95, where you control a girl in green armor and you had to collect emeralds? And it was very old-Prince of Persia ish, and you choose the level to start on. The naps were like valleys and weird caves.

Wasn't Jill of the Jungle, was it?

Top Bottom