• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Someone convince me I didn't make this up in a dream or something:

A DOS-era game based on the Halloween movies. First-person, Doom-like engine, you play as Michael Myers. In the demo I downloaded, you start out on a street at night with rows of houses around you, and you could walk around the houses and...not much else. There's a button to swing a knife so I guess the object is to kill people, but I couldn't find a way to get into any of the houses and didn't see any NPCs. There was a timer and a HUD, but no options or menu that I could find. Maybe it wasn't even a full game, like a fan project or something, but I'm sure it existed. The engine was roughly Doom-level but it wasn't a Doom mod. I probably downloaded it around 98-2000.

mclem

I seem to have stumbled on something named 'Halloween: The New Nightmare", but without more tools at my disposal I can't find out much more about it right now. Still, it's a possibility?

Thanks for the guess, but going from searches that's too new and not based on the films. I don't recognize the shots, it's set in a castle.

Mista Koo

faceless007 said:
Someone convince me I didn't make this up in a dream or something:

A DOS-era game based on the Halloween movies. First-person, Doom-like engine, you play as Michael Myers. In the demo I downloaded, you start out on a street at night with rows of houses around you, and you could walk around the houses and...not much else. There's a button to swing a knife so I guess the object is to kill people, but I couldn't find a way to get into any of the houses and didn't see any NPCs. There was a timer and a HUD, but no options or menu that I could find. Maybe it wasn't even a full game, like a fan project or something, but I'm sure it existed. The engine was roughly Doom-level but it wasn't a Doom mod. I probably downloaded it around 98-2000.
This one?

So no one knows this:
Mista Koo said:
I remember a PC sidescroller I played mid '90s (probably released 80s/early '90s). IIRC it had a futuristic setting and the player character had a gun. The thing I remember the most is that the character had a head like this:
bvx1L.jpg

Orange, with long tube ears or whatever pointing upwards. He looked human otherwise (I think he wore space suit).

The Jazz Jackrabbit thread reminded me of it. I'm not sure why but I think it had a similar HUD (panel on the bottom of the screen full of info).

OK this is going to be vague, and honestly I'm not really even sure if it's a video game per se. I remember as a kid going to one of my friends houses and always playing on his computer with this game where you would have a blank cavas and you could add all kinds of stuff like fireworks and animals and stuff and then you would hit a play button and all the items would interact and sort of set off a chain reaction. I'm almost positive I played it on a Macintosh computer, but can't be certain.

Anyone?

Baconbitz

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
Bio Hazard Battle? Perhaps not, you don't really have space ships in that game either, they're more giant insect ships or something like that... it is a 2p simultaneous shmup on the Genesis though. Along with Forgotten Worlds and Aero Blasters though they're the only 2p simultaneous hori shmups I can think of on the Genesis...

There are also some two player simultaneous vertical scrolling shmups on the Genesis, but you say horizontal. Vertical scrolling Genesis shmups with two player simultaneous include Mega SWIV (Europe only release), Vapor Trail, and Battle Squadron.
I remember my Brother and a friend playing together. One level had like a giant ass alien as a boss.

Edit: My Bro laughed when he saw those videos indicating those werent the games.

BioHazard

I'm trying to remember a certain sidescrolling shooting arcade game I used to play with my friend. I only remember vague things but I think it's pretty popular so maybe someone can help me out. I remember that you played as a cop or something an you killed criminals and the occasional dog, and picked up gold bars. Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: I just found it after I posted (go figure), it was NARC.

aaaaaa

I remember there being a PS1 game where all of the characters were black. I think it involved tanks but I might be wrong about this. Anyone remember the name?

aaaaaa said:
I remember there being a PS1 game where all of the characters were black. I think it involved tanks but I might be wrong about this. Anyone remember the name?

Sounds like Shellshock to me. And you are right, it involved tanks. Also came out for Saturn.

KlockreN

Neo Member
Please help me!

I've played a game years ago, and the things i remember from it was:

- Police game and i think you only could play as a girl.
- 3D
- You could steal cars gta style, mostly vans
- Small town, alot of climbing ladders and chasing robbers
- I think you could handcuff people?

KlockreN said:
Please help me!

- 3D
Platform?

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
RurouniZel said:
I remember a game my cousin used to play when I was a kid. He was like, an astronaut or something. He would kill enemies, it was super hard. And there were these parts where the screen would shake and then he'd lose after a while. The music was kinda creepy then too, freaked me out when I was that young. >> Don't know the name.
Solar Jetman maybe?

The first game i have ever played was on Atari. It was that corridor plane shooting game where you shoot other planes and refuel with a fuel tank. What´s the name of this game?

KlockreN said:
Please help me!

- 3D
Urban Chaos.

Beam said:
The first game i have ever played was on Atari. It was that corridor plane shooting game where you shoot other planes and refuel with a fuel tank. What´s the name of this game?
River Raid.

TGMIII

Sprite based PS1 fighting game that had a 1v1 and 2v2 mode and there were unlockable modes like a tetris mode. Other than that the only thing I can remember is that the character select theme started off with "1,2,3 break it down".

OOOOOH OOOOH OOOH

This is going to be a really tough one and please help me out here. I remember little about this game which should make it so fun and difficult to try and figure out.

Ok, this game probably, the time frame was probably mid 80's, but could be early or late 80's too. It was a arcade game at my local Wal Mart. Not saying it never came to consoles, but I never noticed such.

I believe it replaced a ms pac man or maybe regular pac man machine, to give a further timeframe idea. Or it may have replaced a 1942 machine, now that I think about it...

Again my memory is so fuzzy, bear with me...the game had a sort of, "guys in leather" type feel. Maybe a tad bit mad max-like in tone. It was fairly top down or 3/4. Definitely not a side scroller, it scrolled vertically. You could play for high score that was a big part of it, I remember going back and forth with another guy for high score. You controlled a guy and I believe you mostly shot stuff...I recall bosses, maybe one with a chain he whipped overhead? I seem to remember something about bombs. Oh of course you were on foot and your enemies too.

If you call out a name I probably wont know it by name, but I can google images and I'm pretty sure I'll recognize it...

I would say despite my memories being so faint, it was one of my favorite games ever.

Anything?

Lafazar

specialguy said:
OOOOOH OOOOH OOOH

This is going to be a really tough one and please help me out here. I remember little about this game which should make it so fun and difficult to try and figure out.

Ok, this game probably, the time frame was probably mid 80's, but could be early or late 80's too. It was a arcade game at my local Wal Mart. Not saying it never came to consoles, but I never noticed such.

I believe it replaced a ms pac man or maybe regular pac man machine, to give a further timeframe idea. Or it may have replaced a 1942 machine, now that I think about it...

Again my memory is so fuzzy, bear with me...the game had a sort of, "guys in leather" type feel. Maybe a tad bit mad max-like in tone. It was fairly top down or 3/4. Definitely not a side scroller, it scrolled vertically. You could play for high score that was a big part of it, I remember going back and forth with another guy for high score. You controlled a guy and I believe you mostly shot stuff...I recall bosses, maybe one with a chain he whipped overhead? I seem to remember something about bombs. Oh of course you were on foot and your enemies too.

If you call out a name I probably wont know it by name, but I can google images and I'm pretty sure I'll recognize it...

I would say despite my memories being so faint, it was one of my favorite games ever.

Anything?

Crackdown?
http://www.mobygames.com/game/crack-down/screenshots

specialguy said:
OOOOOH OOOOH OOOH

Anything?
I'm pretty sure that this is Capcom's old co-op top-down action/semi-BEU, Avengers. I played this game a lot back then and it had the same twist sticks that Ikari Warriors and Guerrilla War(fare) used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avengers_%28video_game%29

codhand

OK, how about a FMV game for the Mac Performa, circa 1994, where you were some bald headed white dude, figuring out a cure for a virus I believe? It was mostly adventure based. The game was very short and ended with a terrible, playable 3D shootery part...

More interactive movie than game, but I could never remember the name.

I'm pretty sure that this is Capcom's old co-op top-down action/semi-BEU, Avengers. I played this game a lot back then and it had the same twist sticks that Ikari Warriors and Guerrilla War(fare) used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avengers_(video_game)

Yup, that seems to be it! Nice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8bY4UxOF4M&feature=related

It didn't immediately strike me 100% as "that's it", but after watching awhile I'm 99% sure. I seem to remember more of a mad max motiff, but it's almost certainly the game. Has the bomb throwers, the boss with the overhead chain-whip, etc.

Edit: Yeah definitely the game.

specialguy said:
Yeah definitely the game.
Your details were few and a bit sparse considering the word count of your post, but the comment about a Mad Max vibe and the boss who wields a spinning chain overhead were enough. Game's pretty archaic, but at the time, it was kinda neat for its overhead take on Capcom's other Mad Max/post-apocalyptic themed action game, Trojan, mixed with obvious design influences from other 80s Capcom stuff, like Gunsmoke.

strafer

Gah, my brain is totally not working today.

I remember it being an FPS, you could pick up all kinds of different weapons and huge areas and the demo I played had you starting on a train and then you jumped off the train while it was still moving.

I know it's not much to go on but it's all I remember.

Oh and you could die very easily.

Please GAF, I need to find this game.

Strafer said:
Gah, my brain is totally not working today.

I remember it being an FPS, you could pick up all kinds of different weapons and huge areas and the demo I played had you starting on a train and then you jumped off the train while it was still moving.

I know it's not much to go on but it's all I remember.

Oh and you could die very easily.

Please GAF, I need to find this game.

Not Project IGI, is it?

Deft Beck

Has anyone heard of an adventure game where you're a kid leading around a robot who needs batteries around a museum? It featured pixel-art, and I last played it in 4th grade.

Wheeliedude said:
Has anyone heard of an adventure game where you're a kid leading around a robot who needs batteries around a museum? It featured pixel-art, and I last played it in 4th grade.
Is it Jump Start Adventures 3rd Grade: Mystery Mountain?

Ok, there was this game where you would race on either a bike, skateboard, or luge, and you would race other opponents and you could punch and jab them as you raced. I think it was the original PlayStation.

littleworm said:
Ok, there was this game where you would race on either a bike, skateboard, or luge, and you would race other opponents and you could punch and jab them as you raced. I think it was the original PlayStation.
2Xtreme or the original ESPN Extreme Games or whatever it was called. The good one was the first game at launch. Fun stuff aside from the annoying commentary.

xxczx

Trying to remember a PS2 game, it was kinda like a Metal Gear Solid clone, you could jump in bins and bathrooms (I think) to change clothes and go undercover.

It had a creepy story, at the start I think there was a man getting shot (maybe stabbed) while chained up to something, or I'm just thinking of another game.

Jakoavain

I remember seeing this one in the 90's.

The game was a dogfighting game in the arcades. I remember it had a pretty lightweight approach to it and it was presented as a game show type thing with it's own host and all. I remember that it was linked between 2 cabinets, but I can't recall the developer. I think it was either namco or sega.

02pheland

Neo Member
trying to remember a PS1 game set in the future where robots had taken over most of the world and humans are fighting back,
Game play had you 3rd person controlling tanks or planes and fighting your way along to a base you needed to destroy, while playing a counter went down from defcon 5 to defcon 1 i cant remeber if it was a time limit or a warning about enemy strnegth

Just found it, it was wargames defcon 1 =)

kevinski

Banned
I seem to recall playing a two-player Genesis game in which you play as submarines with faces. I believe that one of them was blue, while the other was red. Does anyone here remember the name of this game?

mclem

Jakoavain said:
I remember seeing this one in the 90's.

The game was a dogfighting game in the arcades. I remember it had a pretty lightweight approach to it and it was presented as a game show type thing with it's own host and all. I remember that it was linked between 2 cabinets, but I can't recall the developer. I think it was either namco or sega.

Wing War?

Mendoza

Old PC fantasy RPG around early to mid 1990's (definitely before 2000). 3D environment (2d sprites?), with 1st person gameplay. You start as some guy who works for either a blacksmith or a farmer who lives in a house in front of a lake. I believe the game had voice overs... not too sure. I remember that you can attack the NPC, and he'll grow hostile and kill you.

From what I recall, when you first walk out of the house, you stand in front of a lake, and the path to a cave or dungeon leads left in relation to where your looking when you exit the house. The first enemy encounter that I remember was a skeleton in a cave... I don't remember much else.

celebi23

Ok, I've got a hard one for you GAF. In 1996 or 1997, my 4th grade class got to test an educational game. It focused on US history and had a section where you could draw stuff in it. I remember that part because one of my classmates did a incredibly detailed pixel art version of a us state flag. Oh, and we all ran the game on Macs. I've been trying to find this game for a few years but, since I don't remember anything else, I've come up empty. I've searched mobygames and macintosh garden and nothing looks familiar. Since I won't be checking this topic that much, if you think you've figured it out, please PM and let me know. Thanks!

mrplaid

Mendoza said:
Old PC fantasy RPG around early to mid 1990's (definitely before 2000). 3D environment (2d sprites?), with 1st person gameplay. You start as some guy who works for either a blacksmith or a farmer who lives in a house in front of a lake. I believe the game had voice overs... not too sure. I remember that you can attack the NPC, and he'll grow hostile and kill you.

From what I recall, when you first walk out of the house, you stand in front of a lake, and the path to a cave or dungeon leads left in relation to where your looking when you exit the house. The first enemy encounter that I remember was a skeleton in a cave... I don't remember much else.

I posted earlier about what I think might be the same game. What you're describing definitely sounds similar to what I remember. What the hell was the name of that game?

kevinski

Banned
kevinski said:
I seem to recall playing a two-player Genesis game in which you play as submarines with faces. I believe that one of them was blue, while the other was red. Does anyone here remember the name of this game?

In addition to this game, I'm also trying to figure out the name of a PC game in which you could specify certain contact information so the game could call or fax you various clues during game play. Anyone remember the name of this?

confused

Banned
kevinski said:
In addition to this game, I'm also trying to figure out the name of a PC game in which you could specify certain contact information so the game could call or fax you various clues during game play. Anyone remember the name of this?

Majestic: Special Edition

kevinski said:

Pretty sure it's this :

Irem's In the hunt

Not megadrive, though

Top Bottom