• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Credo

Nope. Definitely had a cover like this one I think. It's driving me insane. :p I've been looking on google images, just scanning covers but to no avail.

I just can't remember a lot of it. Just blonde main character, a lot of fire, I think maybe some platforming too. Lasers, maybe even robots.

My mind is playing tricks on me now, I'm thinking too much about it now so I could be getting some things wrong.

It's driving me insane now too. I brought up Wikipedia's list of PS1 games and scanned through them, picking out the ones that I knew didn't fall into the wrong categories like sports, racing, puzzle, etc. I must have looked at 60 or 70 titles and saw nothing that matched up or hadn't already been named. Not all the games had pictures on their wiki pages though, so it may be one of those.

It's driving me insane now too. I brought up Wikipedia's list of PS1 games and scanned through them, picking out the ones that I knew didn't fall into the wrong categories like sports, racing, puzzle, etc. I must have looked at 60 or 70 titles and saw nothing that matched up or hadn't already been named. Not all the games had pictures on their wiki pages though, so it may be one of those.

Haha, yeah. I wish I could just go back to the store where I rented it years ago, but that store doesn't even exist anymore.

I appreciate you searching for it!

Credo

Haha, yeah. I wish I could just go back to the store where I rented it years ago, but that store doesn't even exist anymore.

I appreciate you searching for it!

I hate not being able to find things. You said it was a third-person action/adventure type of game. Was the combat mainly melee-oriented, shooting-oriented, or did it have both?

I hate not being able to find things. You said it was a third-person action/adventure type of game. Was the combat mainly melee-oriented, shooting-oriented, or did it have both?

I think it was mainly shooting-oriented, but I'm not 100% sure, sorry.

Going to sleep now, hopefully I dream about it and find more clues.

kbcTM.jpg

Blonde main characer, a lot of fire?

SSJ1Goku

Banned
So I remember playing a game on the PS1. I used to rent it multiple times, but I can't remember the name. I think it was a third person action/adventure game. You were some kind of duke nukem-ish character. There was a lot of fire in the game aswell, I remember it this way. A lot of red colors. The cover of the game was also red.

I think the main character was blond, but I'm not sure. :/

I'll never find it :(
One
pics

mr_toa

Looking for name of an Amiga game, that both the GF and myself played during our younger days!

Overall it was a resource/sim-type of game. The game basically only had only single screen, which displayed somewhere in the lower area a mammut/dinousaur that withered slowly as the game progressed forward.
The game was turn based, where you made changes to e.g. production etc. inbetween rounds. Droughts might set in, affection your harvest and tribes might get PO and stop trading with you and so forth.

Any ideas?

Edit; just remembered - the game featured an intro, where you'd see the mammut/dinosaur creature alive and then get trapped in mud/tar

I might as well post a couple things here.

Both arcade games (at restaurants), and probably around 20 years old:

- Sidescroller shooter. The spaceship could get heavily upgraded, it went from generic to actually becoming a big (mostly blue/silver?) mecha, with several layers in between. There weren't stages, the landscape transitioned seamlessly. I remember the typical green fields, then a desert (at night?). It could also go underground at some points (caverns and lava?), I believe you could control that but I'm not sure.

- Vertical shooter, featuring small enemies in the first stages, then rather big ones later on. It was really old, the background was totally or mostly black. Not very helpful details, I'm afraid.

They weren't particularly interesting, but I'm curious. On a side note, I remember the owner of the first one was very nice since I asked for a 4 coins change and he always gave me an extra coin. There was a time when it got stuck and I had unlimited credits, so I played for free for an hour. Good times.

- Sidescroller shooter. The spaceship could get heavily upgraded, it went from generic to actually becoming a big (mostly blue/silver?) mecha, with several layers in between. There weren't stages, the landscape transitioned seamlessly. I remember the typical green fields, then a desert (at night?). It could also go underground at some points (caverns and lava?), I believe you could control that but I'm not sure.

Side Arms: Hyper Dyne comes to mind.. but I don't think there's any green fields.

mclem

Mag Max?

SamuraiX-

Not sure if it was already posted here, and apologies if it was:

- 1990s 2.5D PC game
- Played the role of a spy and I remember always infiltrating at the top of a rooftop on some sort of skyscraper building as the opening level
- I didn't make it far in the game, but I remember early on the only real enemies were large bouncing balls... if that makes any sense

Can't even really remember what the objective of the game was since I thought it was pretty difficult and didn't make it that far when I played it back in the day. lol

Not sure if it was already posted here, and apologies if it was:

- 1990s 2.5D PC game
- Played the role of a spy and I remember always infiltrating at the top of a rooftop on some sort of skyscraper building as the opening level
- I didn't make it far in the game, but I remember early on the only real enemies were large bouncing balls... if that makes any sense

Can't even really remember what the objective of the game was since I thought it was pretty difficult and didn't make it that far when I played it back in the day. lol

D/Generation, I think... a real classic, great game!

Ok one of my very first gaming experiences, it was a side scroller on pc, you played a guy that could transform into a bat and even a werewolf.No idea what it was called.

plainr_

There was this one puzzle game for the SNES (or PS1) I think. Definitely SNES-level graphics though. It's supports 2 player coop. You control this little guy and you need to use bombs and move items around an obstacle to make it to the exit. That's all I can remember. I remember loving this game and lemmings back then.

Fake edit: Just checked youtube, it's definitely not super bomberman but looks somewhat like it.

Could it only have been for SNES or PS1? Saturn Bomberman (for Sega Saturn, naturally) also had a co-op mode.... How similar does it look to what you remember?

There is one Japanese NES game that no one ever found for me. The Famicom cart I had was black. I don't know if it's a Japan-only game.

It's a bit of a side scrolling game that's 3/4 overhead, with some stats on top of the screen. The general art style is that characters have big eyes. You play as a big-eyed round kid who can throw rocks (IIRC) or something white/wavy that home in back to him. You upgrade this by doing some kind of meditation while music plays. I probably remember this wrong, but he was wearing something light blue.

Only other part about the game I remember was the credits. The kid was being cooked in some cauldron and a text that says something like "adventures of pip" but Google doesn't give me anything.

If it can help, I can sketch the general layout after work.

BooJoh

There was this one puzzle game for the SNES (or PS1) I think. Definitely SNES-level graphics though. It's supports 2 player coop. You control this little guy and you need to use bombs and move items around an obstacle to make it to the exit. That's all I can remember. I remember loving this game and lemmings back then.

Fake edit: Just checked youtube, it's definitely not super bomberman but looks somewhat like it.

Kablooey?

plainr_

Could it only have been for SNES or PS1? Saturn Bomberman (for Sega Saturn, naturally) also had a co-op mode.... How similar does it look to what you remember?

I've never owned a Sega Saturn so that can't be it. It's either SNES or PS1.

The 2D graphics are similar. Scale and everything. The gameplay not so. I think it was a platformer and not controlled top down like bomberman.

Nope. I'd definitely remember that horrendous blue creature. :lol

There were five Super Bomberman games (two released in the US, three in Europe), and they did change the graphics some between games... but other than that, I thought of The Bombing Islands for PS1, but that's one player only (and has polygonal graphics too). The Bombing Islands has gameplay a lot like Kablooey.

There were five Super Bomberman games (two released in the US, three in Europe), and they did change the graphics some between games... but other than that, I thought of The Bombing Islands for PS1, but that's one player only (and has polygonal graphics too). The Bombing Islands has gameplay a lot like Kablooey.

You just mentioned Bombing Islands and I immediately remembered it's a Kid Klown game.

There was also a Kid Klown game for SNES: Kid Klown in Crazy Chase! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0BCDMne4dM
It's a 3/4 perspective and to my knowledge, it's also single-player only, but it's definitely got bombs and clearing obstacles!

Wow, that's it, you are like same kind of vintage game guru.Thanks for sending me on a nostalgia trip, I wish there was a way to play theses old gems.Did the ever convert them to modern pc OS or are they lost forever?
You can play most old PC games on modern computers with the help of DOSBox, an x86 emulator. There are also digital distributors, like Good Old Games and DotEmu, which sells old games pre-configured to run smoothly.

Randomly remembered a puzzly game I liked. Didn't remember the name.

NES. I played it a lot in co-op. It had single screen levels and I remember it generally being kind of Pacman-y in the sense of you picking up good things and avoiding bad guys in a single screen. You played as a dragon or a similiarly dragon-like creature. Dragon eggs were also somehow involved?

Xun

May as well ask this incredibly vague question.

There was a demo for a PS1 game I got free with a magazine back in the late 90's, but I just can't remember the name of it. I'm 99% sure it was Japanese.

You had the ability to shoot fireballs almost like Dragon Ball, and the demo took place in a field against an opponent or two.

Seemed like a fun game but I never looked further into it to buy it.

^_^x Yashiro

Neo Member
Hi, hope this one will be easy :D

A snes game, looks like Saint Seiya, am not sure about a blonde guy, one with a sword, a lot of punches move, gameplay like Captain Tsubasa 3, some moves you can dodge with an animation left-right-left, a move with a lot of rocks falling from the heaven, that's all i remember...

Hi, hope this one will be easy :D

A snes game, looks like Saint Seiya, am not sure about a blonde guy, one with a sword, a lot of punches move, gameplay like Captain Tsubasa 3, some moves you can dodge with an animation left-right-left, a move with a lot of rocks falling from the heaven, that's all i remember...

Yuu Yuu Hakusho Tokubetsu-hen?

There was a demo for a PS1 game I got free with a magazine back in the late 90's, but I just can't remember the name of it. I'm 99% sure it was Japanese.

You had the ability to shoot fireballs almost like Dragon Ball, and the demo took place in a field against an opponent or two.

Destrega?

Minyobi

Yeah, that really sounds like Destrega
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNpzPfCpoSM&feature=related

mclem

Randomly remembered a puzzly game I liked. Didn't remember the name.

NES. I played it a lot in co-op. It had single screen levels and I remember it generally being kind of Pacman-y in the sense of you picking up good things and avoiding bad guys in a single screen. You played as a dragon or a similiarly dragon-like creature. Dragon eggs were also somehow involved?

Trog?

TUSR

Banned
This is going to be vague as hell.

PC game, where you had to progress through the levels by finding items around and doing stuff with them

I think the first level was maybe in a pirate ship and you had to find pepper?
You spent the whole game looking for someone between levels or progressing to try and find them...

Was this secret of monkey island? I only ever played it at my baby sitters house

Gustav

Banned

PC game, where you had to progress through the levels by finding items around and doing stuff with them

You spent the whole game looking for someone between levels or progressing to try and find them...

Was this secret of monkey island? I only ever played it at my baby sitters house

Could be Monkey Island. There is a recipe/cooking scene. It is not at the beginning of the game, however.

Was it this?

mclem

The second chapter of Secret of Monkey Island was on a ship and you have to find ingredients for a spell. That's a possibility - but I don't think it's that.

I reckon you're on about Goblins 3. The third of the Goblins series only had you controlling one character, but each scene would also include an assistant who sometimes needed to be found/rescued before they'd help out.

Also, the Goblins series had clearly-defined *levels* rather than a more open structure like the MI games had.

The first level of that was indeed set aboard a pirate ship, and the assistant for that level was a parrot.

Gustav

Banned
The second chapter of Secret of Monkey Island was on a ship and you have to find ingredients for a spell. That's a possibility - but I don't think it's that.

I reckon you're on about Goblins 3. The third of the Goblins series only had you controlling one character, but each scene would also include an assistant who sometimes needed to be found/rescued before they'd help out.

Also, the Goblins series had clearly-defined *levels* rather than a more open structure like the MI games had.

The first level of that was indeed set aboard a pirate ship, and the assistant for that level was a parrot.

I just realized I never played Goblins 3. :(

TUSR

Banned

HOLY SHIT.

Thank you. That was it!

^_^x Yashiro

Neo Member
Yuu Yuu Hakusho Tokubetsu-hen?

Looks similar but am sure is anoher game, i remember a blonde guy wearing a knight armor (or at least his arm with armor), some guy who looks like Saint Seiya, a vague remember of a fight in a colosseum stage too, powers looks amazing for a snes game :D , hope someone else have a clue :)

Top Bottom