• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

mrplaid

Thanks for the reply! I don't believe this is the game I'm thinking of, though. I definitely played the game I'm thinking of on a PC (our first Packard Bell, probably). I didn't see where a PC port of King's Field 2 exists. Also, I'm fairly certain this was a western-developed RPG.

Mupod said:
Robowarrior?

Oh shit son I think that's it! Mucho Gracias!

Fou-Lu

I'm honestly not sure what console this game was for, but something makes me think it was SNES/Genesis era, though it could have been PSX as well. It was a standard RPG, I'm pretty sure you got to choose both the main character and his female childhood friend's names at the beginning. Also the game started with what seemed to be the final dungeon and a last boss fight. Which I believe was unwinnable, and gave you a party of characters totally different from those you get throughout the game. Any ideas?

Ichor said:
I'm honestly not sure what console this game was for, but something makes me think it was SNES/Genesis era, though it could have been PSX as well. It was a standard RPG, I'm pretty sure you got to choose both the main character and his female childhood friend's names at the beginning. Also the game started with what seemed to be the final dungeon and a last boss fight. Which I believe was unwinnable, and gave you a party of characters totally different from those you get throughout the game. Any ideas?
Lufia 1 for the SNES, probably. The second game is a prequel, telling about the prior adventures of that first party.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
I remember playing a sidescrolling horizontal shmup on my Game Boy, but I can't remember the name of the game. All I can remember is that the enemies were aliens I think. The first level ended on the open (maybe over an ocean?) and the second was in a cave with stalagmites or something like that.
The ship was pointy and black.
This description cannot be more generic, I know.
It's the only game I cannot remember from the 15 games cartdrige (I didn't know any better) I had as a child.

Fou-Lu

And I never joined in on any Lufia discussions because I figured I'd never play any of the games. Turns out after looking it up that I've finished the first one before. Thanks for that guys.

Now to find a copy and play it again!

I used to play a game on the PS1 where you go and train monsters and go through the woods and fight other monsters to lever yours. YOu can even do things like fuse them together to make stronger monsters I believe. You were like a trainer, pretty sure you carried some sort of spear and also participated in the turn based combat system. I think the character was female as well. Really want to remember what that game was.

Gravijah

AppleSmack said:
I used to play a game on the PS1 where you go and train monsters and go through the woods and fight other monsters to lever yours. YOu can even do things like fuse them together to make stronger monsters I believe. You were like a trainer, pretty sure you carried some sort of spear and also participated in the turn based combat system. I think the character was female as well. Really want to remember what that game was.

jade cocoon ... 2 mebbe?

Mxrz

Mentioned this in another thread.

Arcade game from around the late 80s. I can barely remember it, but I loved the heck out of it for some reason. You controlled a Knight guy who was nearly as tall as the screen (Way bigger than Arthur/Ghouls N ghosts) and shit flew at you from the side of the screen. You had to block it or it'd hit you and take off pieces of your armor. Apparently you fought a woman-boss at some point, and her armor fell off too. Good times.

Another arcade game where you played cops in a 2D platform/shooter sidescroller. Think you had robot suits or some such too. There were levels with trucks and cars and things. Tracked this one down a few years back, but now I can't remember it.

Gravijah said:
jade cocoon ... 2 mebbe?

OMG! Yes. This is exactly it! Thanks a ton!

Also, if you can help with this one as well I'd greatly appreciate it:

I remember playing another game like this but I forgot what it was called. It was on PC where 2 teams basically pick characters and battle it out in some arena. Played like a PVP RPG. The main arena I played was some frozen ice cave. It was also F2P.

DKnight said:
I remember playing a sidescrolling horizontal shmup on my Game Boy, but I can't remember the name of the game. All I can remember is that the enemies were aliens I think. The first level ended on the open (maybe over an ocean?) and the second was in a cave with stalagmites or something like that.
The ship was pointy and black.
This description cannot be more generic, I know.
It's the only game I cannot remember from the 15 games cartdrige (I didn't know any better) I had as a child.

Could it be Nemesis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkmaHwoRVVM, it has a sequel Gradius:The Interstellar Assault: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A39JIPKFJ8A, or Star Hawk: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x876t4_game-boy-star-hawk_videogames

Margalis

Banned
Mxrz said:
Arcade game from around the late 80s. I can barely remember it, but I loved the heck out of it for some reason. You controlled a Knight guy who was nearly as tall as the screen (Way bigger than Arthur/Ghouls N ghosts) and shit flew at you from the side of the screen. You had to block it or it'd hit you and take off pieces of your armor. Apparently you fought a woman-boss at some point, and her armor fell off too. Good times.

Gladiator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YdWC91K5oM

Another arcade game where you played cops in a 2D platform/shooter sidescroller. Think you had robot suits or some such too. There were levels with trucks and cars and things. Tracked this one down a few years back, but now I can't remember it.

ESWAT?

MadmanUK

Mxrz said:
Mentioned this in another thread.

2nd one sounds like E-Swat.

I remember playing a platform game where you controlled a cricket 5-7 years ago. It was 3D but even so you could only walk in straight lines and had to make sure to move at the right time to avoid enemies and traps. I'm not sure if you controlled a cricket, it could've been a lizard of some sort - it was green, at least.

Not much of a description, I know, but I really don't know how to put it in English words. :p

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I'm looking for the name of a game or games where the point was to design a rube goldberg machine for the sole purpose of killing people. I want to say 90s PC game or Playstation 1/Saturn title, but I'm not positive.

I have a tough one Gaf....

It was a body/health game where you move along on a board game and complete minigames where you pick food to eat and exercise and accumulate points and at the end of the current screen there is a challenge against an opponent where you can only win if you accumulated enough points. First challenge was to swim in the nile I believe. Crocodiles would eat you if you didn't have enough points.

There were caves where a creepy jester floating head would try and get you to do drugs and you had to answer trivia about such.

Marsipolami said:
I remember playing a platform game where you controlled a cricket 5-7 years ago. It was 3D but even so you could only walk in straight lines and had to make sure to move at the right time to avoid enemies and traps. I'm not sure if you controlled a cricket, it could've been a lizard of some sort - it was green, at least.

Not much of a description, I know, but I really don't know how to put it in English words. :p

my first inclination was to say gex (he was a lizard) and then i realized that im really old and that game was from 17 years ago, not 7. any idea what this was on?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Marsipolami said:

Bug! or Bug Too! ?

watch

Locke

Ok this is a fleeting memory from when I was a kid, but in the game you were exploring some kind of ancient ruins, and there were monsters you had to fight, kind of like an RPG. They were impossible to kill unless you had solved some kind of puzzle within the ruins.

Anyone?

Marsipolami said:

Bugdom?

KenOD said:
I'm looking for the name of a game or games where the point was to design a rube goldberg machine for the sole purpose of killing people. I want to say 90s PC game or Playstation 1/Saturn title, but I'm not positive.

Deception? PS1, got many sequels, including the strangely named PS2 sequel "Trapt"

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
RoryDropkick said:
Deception? PS1, got many sequels, including the strangely named PS2 sequel "Trapt"

Similar idea to that, but simpler in terms of art style and graphics and closer to modern day (of the 90s) in style.

Though now I have a new series of games to try out with Deception/Kagero, so thanks for that.

I'm looking for the name of a PC game, maybe around 10 or so years ago, it was a game about finding blueprints for racing cars and constructing them, and then racing them against your enemy which was this einstein looking guy. The main character that you played as wore a blue jacket and red hat, you could never see his face. The way to find better parts for your car was to move into a kind of sidescrolling part where you would often solve puzzles to get the parts. I remember that you could jump

There were other games in the series, one was a crossword kind of game, another was on a ski mountain, and another was set in a school at nighttime where and you had to solve a mystery about who was the (killer?).

Just figured it out, Super Solvers series :)

So I remember playing a game on the PS1. I used to rent it multiple times, but I can't remember the name. I think it was a third person action/adventure game. You were some kind of duke nukem-ish character. There was a lot of fire in the game aswell, I remember it this way. A lot of red colors. The cover of the game was also red.

I think the main character was blond, but I'm not sure. :/

I'll never find it :(

Berksy

eravulgaris said:
So I remember playing a game on the PS1. I used to rent it multiple times, but I can't remember the name. I think it was a third person action/adventure game. You were some kind of duke nukem-ish character. There was a lot of fire in the game aswell, I remember it this way. A lot of red colors. The cover of the game was also red.

Bruce Willis movie games per chance? 5th Element or Apocalypse?

confused

Banned
eravulgaris said:

Sounds like Blasto. Can't link cos i'm on mobile

eravulgaris said:

C-12-The-Final-Resistance.jpg

Maybe?

Frog'd

Neo Member
eravulgaris said:

Is this it?

jZbQazvgMamTn.jpg

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
eravulgaris said:

One?

Perfect Weapon?

Time Commando?

masterkajo

Don't know if it has been asked before but I remember that my first girlfriend and I played a game (PC) together back in the days where you where a Neanderthal dude collecting eggs and jumping around. I remember you had to rapidly press space bar(? - or some other button) to use the axe to crack open eggs and kill enemies. Was about 12-15 years ago that I last played it. Don't remember much else. Anyone got a clue what it could be? Thanks

EDIT: Maybe there were some mini T-Rex dinos coming in and out of caves? Not sure about that one. Boy, has been a long time.

mclem

masterkajo said:
Don't know if it has been asked before but I remember that my first girlfriend and I played a game (PC) together back in the days where you where a Neanderthal dude collecting eggs and jumping around. I remember you had to rapidly press space bar(? - or some other button) to use the axe to crack open eggs and kill enemies. Was about 12-15 years ago that I last played it. Don't remember much else. Anyone got a clue what it could be? Thanks

EDIT: Maybe there were some mini T-Rex dinos coming in and out of caves? Not sure about that one. Boy, has been a long time.

Based solely on the dates involved (it's not a game I've ever played): Prehistorik (1/2)?

Could also possibly be Joe and Mac, but Prehistorik's a bit more obscure.

masterkajo

mclem said:
Based solely on the dates involved (it's not a game I've ever played): Prehistorik (1/2)?

Could also possibly be Joe and Mac, but Prehistorik's a bit more obscure.
Yes it is Prehistorik! Just googled it and immediately saw those cute little graphics!! Thanks a bunch!
It was just because I met her again and we talked about it but noone knew the name anymore and so I had to ask here.

Thanks!!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
masterkajo said:

Sounds almost like Joe and Mac: Caveman Ninja for SNES or arcade, though I'm not sure if there was a PC port. Could you have been playing it on an emulator?

EDIT: Never mind, seems you got it!

BooJoh

eravulgaris said:

Duke Nukem: Time to Kill was third person.. could it have been that?

I remember a title that wasn't a game so much as a creative/multimedia program for kids that used Nickelodeon characters, and you could play with video and sound editing tools to make your own Nicktoons. It was called something like "Nickelodeon Animation Studio" or "Nicktoons Multimedia Studio." It was not Nickelodeon 3D Movie Maker--I'm positive this was a different title, and it was about sound mixing and editing and more traditional animation, not moving 3D models around pre-rendered environments.

Toppot

faceless007 said:
I remember a title that wasn't a game so much as a creative/multimedia program for kids that used Nickelodeon characters, and you could play with video and sound editing tools to make your own Nicktoons. It was called something like "Nickelodeon Animation Studio" or "Nicktoons Multimedia Studio." It was not Nickelodeon 3D Movie Maker--I'm positive this was a different title, and it was about sound mixing and editing and more traditional animation, not moving 3D models around pre-rendered environments.

Probably not but Nickelodeon Toon Twister 3-D ?

or maybe

Nicktoons Nick Tunes Microphone and CD-ROM Game ?

I was playing Rayman Origins and my mother randomly chimed in and described the first game she can remember playing. I would really like to know what it was, but everything I could come up with doesn't fit.

She described a sidescrolling platformer, which must have taken place in a zoo or something because you went through a gate of some sort and there were animals on the other side, who you interacted with in platformy ways (like the alligators in Pitfall, for example)

She also described the timing based obstacle where a vertical stream of death will switch on and off and you have to time your movements. In this game the stream to avoid was water.

She said she played it on some computer she had access to while in an university, which must've been like 1986-87. Definitely before '88.

Another important point is that I live in Estonia, so the game must have existed a year or two before that, because I can't imagine it making it's way here otherwise.

Anyone have ANY clue what it could have possibly been?

Long shot, but
lonesoldierygu15.jpg
?

Nope. Definitely had a cover like this one I think. It's driving me insane. :p I've been looking on google images, just scanning covers but to no avail.

I just can't remember a lot of it. Just blonde main character, a lot of fire, I think maybe some platforming too. Lasers, maybe even robots.

My mind is playing tricks on me now, I'm thinking too much about it now so I could be getting some things wrong.

Top Bottom